Patient's new look: Feedback

Posted , 17 users are following.

As many of you will have noticed, we've changed the look and feel of Patient, to what we hope will be a fresh new bright and vibrant look. 

We greatly value our user's feedback and would like to hear your thoughts on the new design. 

1 like, 162 replies

162 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Rebranding is rebranding - and frequently doesn't achieve what you wanted! Fresh, bright and vibrant has come out as garish and slow. I wouldn't mind if the posts loaded first and the buttons came later...

Seriously though: Is there any way of making the list "You have new notifications" appear the opposite way round? i.e. so the oldest unread post is at the top and it adds new ones at the bottom. At present I have to scroll and scroll to get to the bottom  which I can't do until the post I have just written has loaded or it just flashes back to that. I don't want to read the posts starting with the most recent, that loses the coninuity.

• Posted

We can certainly look into it EileenH - we are planning a proper newsfeed feature in the future, which would hopefully address the issue you're describing. I'm guessing that a lot of the notifications tend to be for the same thread too?

We will be looking into the colour scheme a bit, but I'm surprised you're finding it slower than before - if anything it really ought to be faster than ever. Do you mostly browse on mobile or on a computer?

• Posted

I'm on a computer - it is jerking about all over the place as different bits load. It is far worse than the old one was first thing before it changed the second time I logged on. So while I could put some down to the internet speed, it isn't all due to that. And when I follow the email notification all the garish bits appear a long time before anything else - and it isn't a pretty sight!! 

Yes - there will be a load of notifications for a thread that were posted in the USA overnight (for me). I can't start with the most recent one - I've missed the history. And the nesting just makes it far worse. So I have to wait for a reply to be uploaded, scroll to get to the "you have new notifications" box, click on it, wait for the list to load, scroll down the list to the bottom and then wait for the thread to load. ONly then can I read it, have a look at other bits and THEN I can reply. I know I'm difficult - but if it is to be done then it needs to be done right!!!

• Posted

That does sound infuriating. We will look into a better way to do this kind of task. Don't worry, you're not being difficult smile

• Posted

To add to Lodger's comments - the nicest thing about the old Patient was the muted greenish colours. These shouting red white and blue bits are really quite nasty - not fresh and vibrant if that was your aim. And especially so for people with poor sight.

Accessibility is my middle name  - that is why I spend hours every day writing medical-speak as people-speak for the benefit of patients whose medics can't explain to them simply what has happened and how to live with it. And it is all for nothing if that patient then can only spend a few minutes reading what I have written because the presentation upsets their vision. I have good vision - and it's driving me up the wall. The bright colours are distracting - and I can't turn the volume down. I look at what I am typing and the bright blue Reply box interferes and distracts...

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

You have more control with your browser than most people think.

I use Firefox, but the following should work on any browser:

1. I need to scroll to the last post?

1. Answer: Above your scroll left, right, up and down - there is the Page Cordination Keys. If you hit 'End' then the browser will instantly go to the end of the last post. Home will take you back up to the 'Top' of any page.

2. If your eye-sight is bad and you find it hard to read the text, then you can easily Zoom in and out of pages, using the following key combinations.

[A] - Zoom in, make Text larger on a page. Press and hold CTRL key then press the + key.

- Zoom out, make Text smaller on a page. Press and hold CTRL key then press the - key.

[C] - Reset Text Size. Press and hold CTRL and hit Zero

Hope that helps some people!

Regards,

SteV3

• Posted

Oops! That message hit the 'Bold' parser in the Editor.

What I would like to see is an 'EDIT' button for the Post's, many of us mentioned this years ago. Even if had a 5 or 10 minute timer it would be better than what we have now, which is nothing - ending up with many people writing correction posts.

Regards,

SteV3

• Posted

No - not in the thread, I know all about that and I don't have poor vision, I'm thinking of others. The site Lodger mentioned was designed with them in mind - because it is a PMRGCA site and many GCA patients have impaired vision. Because of GCA. I can see anything - they can't. 

I need to read the posts in the order in which they were posted - and the nesting set-up on this forum means there are likely to be posts I haven't read in the middle of a thread as replies to an internal nest. The place I have to scroll to the bottom to find the oldest post I haven't read is in a side bar and is a never-ending list of all the posts ever. The first x are marked as unread. I need to be able to find the oldest of them - and the only way is to scroll down the list until I can see it. Keystrokes don't help.

• Posted

Basically what's happened for me is that I will no longer be able to check into a long thread, quickly read through all the new to me posts, and then tick them as read on the notifications list.  Will now have to go through them one by one on the list.  Incentive to keep up, but there are other things to do in a day!  Just off, now, to watch Tall Ships parade.  cool

• Posted

Ah, can we "bold" the whole page?   That might make it easier to read.

• Posted

Steve the average age for people with PMR & GCA is 60 and over...........yes there are patients now down to 50 and this has been taken account of in new guidelines.

Me I had GCA at 68 and am now 78.............so at 68 I had been retired for 18 years.  To cope with those instructions, I would have to print them off and keep them beside my computer for when I visited this site.

Sorry but life is too short and computers are supposed to be made easy to operate for the general public.  When my generation and the following generation are no longer around, most people will be totally computer literate.  In the meantime we have to cope with 'a lag time'.

No, I am not saying your reply is not helpful, it is for probably most people, but not for me.

• Posted

Eileen, regarding the notifications list on the side, hasn't it always been most recent at the top?  I don't know that sorting it with oldest at top would work, unless you were able to sort only the UNREAD ones.

• Posted

Yes it has - but that has always annoyed me and for the last couple of months there has been something strange about it anyway. Now, with this set up, the scrolling and reaching the bit I want to be able to get to that post is awful. If I just dealt with a dozen a day that would be one thing and I used to find going directly from my email worked well. Then I lost a load of notifications so started doing it this way. But the loading time for each email is horrendous now and not significantly better staying within the site notifications. That's why I asked. 

This morning I have opened my email to over 60 new mails - almost all HU or here...

• Posted

Hi EileenH,

Do you not have "tabbed" Inbox email sorting?

It allows your email client to sort your emails to the same address in to different categories, it's how I keep 'Patient Info' emails out of my prioritized 'Inbox'. Others are forwarded to another email account.

It may sound a bit over the top, but I can view emails on the Patient Info website, grouped by Topic. All under one tab - it keeps my Inbox in order and easy to keep clean.

At the moment this Topic or Thread is hot, because of the number of replies.

I've designed many websites over the years, a few things you have to consider is your niche, which should be your priority, not a risk to eye-sight!  A hint there! eek That smilie does not do the pain caused justice, you end up with eye-strain and sore red eyes.

Note: This post contains data that only developers will understand, but they really need raising. If you do not understand any of the terms, do not worry.

[1]. Aesthetically pleasing on the eyes. - This does not mean use HEX value #FFFFFF (White) in about every place possible.

[2]. The 'Report this' button should be just a small 'Red' Flag #D60012 which is the same HEX value which you have used as the whole background of the 'Report this' button. It looks too much as it stands at present.

[3]. I'm one of those people that do not use the Search system on this website, it is not good enough - and gives many false/positive results. With the niche of this website being health orientated, the search engine needs to be better, even using the Custom Google API Search would be better.

I tend to use Google and append it to give me results from this website. There is a lot of great content on this website, which cannot be found using your own website search system.

The idea of detailed content is to increase your Google Ranking on Google, not to let information to become lost somewhere in the 'breadcrumbs' - which does happen quite a lot.

[4]. The new look I am guessing is to comply with Web 2.0 standards, and new 64bit browser capabilities. With Adobe Flash now becoming closer to it's EOL (End of Life), no more support or updates, due to the numerous websites being hacked by sql injection. It has been a long time over due, but welcomed now and replaced with HTML5.

[5]. I can understand the less graphics used, the faster the better. I noticed the use of SVG, which is always nice to see on the latest websites. However, this is just used on the logo and nowhere else. Surely, it would make more sense to store default avatar images locally than pulling them from the external source, this causes page loading speeds to decrease - which logically thinking is a bit odd.

You save page load times in one way, and then use external images elsewhere which causes page load times to increase!?! rolleyes

[6]. I have run tests on this page alone, the results I received explain some of the issues raised by other users.

fastclick - Response time: 616ms (time-out) 404 not found error.

First Run > Test 3

First Byte: -  0.929s

Start Render: - 2.995s

Page Render Speed: 12.039s (does not fully include external images!)

Visually Complete: - 48.072s (nearly 1 minute to load a page!)

Test Result: = D (Red result)

Cache static: content:not cached = F

Total Image Weight: 93KB

Potential Compressed Weight: 17.1%

I did point out earlier in this post, the use of SVG on the logo is a good idea, but not in all cases. Image compression shows a quite a large difference, with just a single image depending on the format used.

Patient Logo: SVG: 5.6 KB == (100.0%)

WEBP: = 1.7 KB < (31.1%)

PNG: = 2.2 KB < (38.3%)

The 404 error is external, therefore is causing the page render increase.

I can post the results in detail via PM only, for development purposes only.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Oh yes - my load times have become awful - the Moderator was surprised but I'd had only minor problems before. Do I understand from your technotalk that you have accounted for that Les?

I probably do have tabbed email sorting but have never bothered because I really didn't need it - and I have my email open while I'm on-line and answer posts as they are put up. It is the overnight, mainly UK and US stuff that is the problem - I'm an hour ahead of the UK and go to bed realtively early. Then everyone gets busy! Now, whether I use the direct from email or the notifications it takes ages for each page to load and it really is more than doubling the time it takes me. As I said somewhere else, I always went directly from my email box, I could delete the email immediately and keep a good record of what I had seen - but some time ago the site wasn't sending notifications for posts and I missed loads or got emails days after they had been posted. Which really isn't a lot of use.

As for the goggle eyes eek - yup, this morning I really was about in tears after an hour of the loud version. This afternoon has been better - but the while is still far too much while.

• Posted

Rats - edit: whiTe, not while!!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.