Skip to content
in this discussion +3 following
rad04868 rad04868

Paxil withdraw supplement helps

I stopped Paxil 2 months ago after almost 3 years 20 mg a day

I lowered my dose to 10mg first but then couldn’t manage to completely stop for about 4 more more months

When finally quit-Withdraw side effects were very bad. I was searching on line for someone who detailed Day by Day effect so I know what to expect but didn’t really find anything 

Physical side effects lasted about a month but the depression and anxiety was harder to deal with than the brain fog and vertigo.

If you are planning on quitting Paxil here is what helped me

1. Tell your boss, family and friends what you are doing. 

2. When you start getting windows of clear brain function and stability ( around day 10) use it for exercise or sex. It’s an investment in your wellness.

3. Supplements and healthy food

Vitamin B and 5 HTPE on empty stomach in the morning- this was a game changer for me. I still take that and I’m not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Magnesium when I have panic attack helps, it’s not xanex tho

I’ve heard St. John wort helps too but I haven’t tried.

As much as I try to avoid drugs Paxil was a must for me 3 years ago.

I almost lost consciousness from panic attacks and few times on the the road. Paxil helped me realize that it was all in my head so now I just have to deal with my own brain knowing that the rest of the Ford is in good shape.

I was curious how other quitters are doing 

3 Replies

• Jane2806 Jane2806 rad04868

How are you doing now-have you completely recovered?  Iam in the process of tapering from Paxil.  I have been on SSRI's for over 15 years now, so I am having a hard time getting off of them.  I was on Zoloft the majority of the time, but it stopped working as well so was switched to Lexapro last October, which was awful!  The doc then tried 20 mg of Paxil and after a few weeks I started feeling really anxious on it as well.  I decided to come off and was told to drop much too quickly by my doctor and started having withdrawal symptoms.  I am now on 8mg of Paxil and holding till my symptoms stabilize.  I don't think many people understand how difficult this process can be.  I know it will still be over a year for me to be completely free of this medication.  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I feel we can learn so much from each other.

• ngaire76858 ngaire76858 rad04868

I was prescribed Paxil by my doctor for my anxiety. I’ve only been on them for 9months I really didn’t want to go down the AD road but eventually gave in. It did help with my anxiety but I would have really bad migraines so I stopped cold turkey (I know really silly) 

I haven’t been on them very long but the withdrawal symptoms are so bad I’m on day 4 and it’s been hell!!! Brain fog, dizziness/vertigo (the worse one) lump in my throat, derealization and bad anxiety  I have 2 small children who rely on me so I try my best to get up and put on a smile and act all normal for them but Inside I’m struggling with the symptoms. Hopefully they go away soon. I too have tried supplements magnesium, St. John’s wort I also have rescue remedy for when my anxiety gets bad which helps a bit. 

• Jane2806 Jane2806 ngaire76858

I would try reinstating at the dose you were at if not a bit smaller dose.  Then once you've stabilized you could taper very slowly at about 10% from your more recent dose.  I have learned the hard way that this is the best way of getting off these horrible meds.

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.