Paxil withdraw supplement helps

Posted , 22 users are following.

I stopped Paxil 2 months ago after almost 3 years 20 mg a day

I lowered my dose to 10mg first but then couldn’t manage to completely stop for about 4 more more months

When finally quit-Withdraw side effects were very bad. I was searching on line for someone who detailed Day by Day effect so I know what to expect but didn’t really find anything 

Physical side effects lasted about a month but the depression and anxiety was harder to deal with than the brain fog and vertigo.

If you are planning on quitting Paxil here is what helped me

1. Tell your boss, family and friends what you are doing. 

2. When you start getting windows of clear brain function and stability ( around day 10) use it for exercise or sex. It’s an investment in your wellness.

3. Supplements and healthy food

Vitamin B and 5 HTPE on empty stomach in the morning- this was a game changer for me. I still take that and I’m not planning on stopping anytime soon.

Magnesium when I have panic attack helps, it’s not xanex tho

I’ve heard St. John wort helps too but I haven’t tried.

As much as I try to avoid drugs Paxil was a must for me 3 years ago.

I almost lost consciousness from panic attacks and few times on the the road. Paxil helped me realize that it was all in my head so now I just have to deal with my own brain knowing that the rest of the Ford is in good shape.

I was curious how other quitters are doing 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Edited

I too was on Paxil for over 20 years. I actually started having a bad reaction to it, and for a few years I thought it was just my thyroid ( i have hypothyroidsim). I stopped taking Paxil for 2 days and I felt great, I then realized Paxil was the problem. Thus my journey to get off this POISON. I am tapering, but I must say it is difficult, but I don't care, I will battle through it as I hate Paxil. With the advice of a Psychiatrist I tapered from 20 mg to 15, to 10 to 5 to 2.5 and now I have been completely off for 3 days now. I don't feel good and I am experiencing symptoms: extreme fatigue, brain zaps. Sucks, but better than how I felt when I was on that crap. Hoping my side effects subside soon. Other than the side effects I feel pretty good, I don't have anxiety and I am quite happy. I feel better then when I was on paxil.

• Posted

could you elaborate on what the terrible symptoms that Paxil was giving you?

Are you tying the thyroid disorder to the Paxil?

would love to hear more!

• Posted

I am really happy to know that i am not alone in this journey. i was first prescribed Paxil at 12 (i have had GAD as long as i can remember). i took it for about 1 year before quitting cold turkey bc of the stigma. i dont remember having WDs back then. i struggled with alcohol in my late teens early 20s and when i quit drinking at 26 i was put back on paxil. im not gonna lie, it really helped and i thought it was a Godsend.

i switched to prozac at 29 because my husband and i decided to get pregnant. still no terrible wds that i remember. i resumed Paxil after i stopped breast feeding and i am finally quitting (almost 34) because of the zero libido aspect.

My doctor had me go from 30mg for 1 week to 15mg the next week and then start Prozac 10mg. This has been the WORST 7 weeks of my life. Worse than WDs from alcohol and i was drinking basically all day. the derealization makes me feel like i am floating in a nightmare. i am in almost constant fear. Last week i had a few good days, but this week its back to a couple good hours a day.

5HTP, ashwaghanda and l-theanine help but when they wear off i feel nuts again. i dont know if i should ask to be put back on a low level of Paxil or not because i dont want to start the process again. i dont trust that my Dr knows anything because of her insane taper schedule. Hoping for better days.

• Posted

i am so sorry you are having such a hard time. I am as well. I was hospitalized for a very rare brain condition, Reversible vasoconstriction disorder. the vessels carrying blood through my brain are not flowing seamlessly, the are constricted, so the blood will hit road blocks that caused thunderclap headaches and asap ER to hospital admit. Paxil 40 mg weaned of in 2 weeks, been on for 23 years and stable!

I am at my wits end. Irritable, can't talk to anyone, need to stay in my bed. every synonym listed I have. I am about ready to go crazy.

• Edited

Ive been on Paxil (20,40 then 60mg) since June 2019 since my mother died . I weaned myself off for over a month and have been without it for two weeks .

I have massive hot flashes, cant catch my breath just walking upstairs, hyperventilate -all which i believe are panic attacks of some form. (just had this happen at walmart and didnt think id make it back to my car.)

These feelings are not constant but are happening too often . I would appreciate any advice !!

• Posted

I recently completed my tapering off of Paxil. i was on Paxil for approximately 25 years at 20mg a day. The entire process was tough but this is what I did. I cut down to 10mg a day for a 3 weeks and then went down to 5mg a day for 3 weeks and down to 2.5mg for 3 weeks and then stopped completely. I really had no side effects until I completely stopped. Maybe it took that long to get to a level in my system where I reacted I don't know. Anyway for several weeks i suffered from horrible brain fog and nagging headaches that wouldn't go away. I am 4 weeks out now and the side effects have finally started to ease up. Not completely but enough to where I don't feel like I'm losing my mind thinking I must have a brain tumor. I hope I never have to go back on that stuff again. I feel like a new person and my energy level is through the roof. I'm 53 but I feel like I'm 23. I hope it stays that way. That's my story. If the dosing and method I used can help anyone out there then I'm glad I could share my story.

• Posted

Hey Dale,

New on forum. I only took 20mg for 3 days but had terrible side effects. Its been 3 weeks and 2 days since last dose - i was told to stop. I still have bad brain fog, slight headaches and dizziness/lethargic is this normal ? It feels like i have something wrong with my brain to. Hearing your post helps me. Im hoping it will get better by week 4 but terrified it wont.

• Posted

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. Going through hell myself and don't know anymore if this is Paxil WD or not. I hope it is so I know theres a reason however it's been 3.5 yrs since my last pill.

• Posted

Boy, I feel horrible that you feel this way..

Mine may really blow your mind. Your correct, the withdrawl is horrible.

I was hospitalized with a very rare brain condition called RCVS. Neurology demanded I stop any med that had serotonin in it, as it most cases, serotonin was the culprit.

I was on 40 mg of Paxil! she said.. yep you need to stop cold turkey. I was sobbing in my hospital bed. (had to do it taking 20 mg when newly pregnant). I also take Buspirone, and she demanded that stop immediately. the brain condition. don't get me wrong is very scary and serious... most present with strokes, clots, and brain bleed.

they ended up giving me 3 weeks to taper off. I have felt like I am going crazy! The irritation and agitation I have is unbelievable... my heart racing... amongst about 100 other symptoms. I'm sorry you are going through this. I am already starting my first crying episode for the day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.