Pe recovery tome

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm 25, I was recently diagnosed with PE, due to some contraceptive pills and long car ride, I was very scared when I was told this. How long will this recovery process take, I know it can be different depending on the person

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Typically 6 months to a year but it also depends where and how big ypur pe is.
    • Posted

Mine were in both lungs, small ones, I'm still a little SOB (short of breath) 9/7 I was diagnosed and 9/17 I'm suppose to return to work, depending on my conditions. Wow 6months is a long time 😩 I'm just praying for a full speedy recovery, I don't want to go through this again 

• Posted

I had small ones in bothe lungs to. Mine cleared up by 6 months. I still get paranoid that ill get another one. But treatment is usually blood thinners for 6 months. What kind of blood thiner you on. I was on apixaban qhich is eliquis.
    • Posted

Same here eliquis! I'm scared of getting more too, I'm scared to do too much moving around but I need to do a little at least bc I don't want to become immobility and form another clot

• Posted

Its rear to form anothwr one while on blood thinners but it can happen. I did mine slowly. I walked down the block a few times here and thwre. Im trying to lose weight now so im on a diet. My weight could be a factor.
  • Posted

I try to get up and walk around the house and not stay in bed, move my limbs a little, maybe once I get a little more strength I'll start walking down the road. And same here, with my weight,  I'm gonna try and cut back on a few things, I know it'll be a challenge, but it's for my health. If you were working at the time when did you return back to work?

• Posted

Like 3 weeks later but inly part time.
    • Posted

I don't think I'll be able to return to work by the 17th but we'll see. I surely appreciate you taking the time out to chat with me, you've helped a lot

• Posted

Ya no problem. Your not alone. Take your time dont rush into anything. You only can go as fast as your body will let you. Take care.
  • Posted

I'm a couple months post diagnosis and mine were pervoked also from birth control. I had them in both lungs. I'm still in pain. Well I have my good days and bad days. And when I went to a follow up they didn't do anything wouldn't even prescribe me anything for pain cause I'm on blood thinners.  It's just a waiting game! I hear it takes some time. Just try not to give your self anxiety over it. 

• Posted

What kind of BC were you taking. And omg a couple months 😩 That seems so long. I try not to get into situations that'll get myself all worked up bc my chest definitely starts hurting. But I have my moments like will I ever be normal again 😢 I'm healthy this doesn't happen to me 😢 But I keep myself calm and take it one day at a time. 

1 doctor told me not to take ibuprofen only to take Tylenol but then another comes in and says I can take it, and they were giving my ibuprofen at the hospital. But the Tylenol does nothing for me. At all!

• Posted

Hi, I had a PE mid August following DVT in my calf. I don't know the extent of my PE, but I know that I had clots in both lungs. I also had pneumonia in the bottom of my lugs and collapsed lungs. But I could say I'm OK now, however I cannot test it really because I cannot walk in a normal pace due to the knee injury (the orignal cause of my DVT). When I go for a short walk I mainly had to come back home because of my knee pain. Two days ago I cleaned the bathroom (including mopping the floor) and could not say that I felt more breathless than before having PE. Last week I also worked 25 hours from home (I do computer work). Having said that, I think that 10 days is a bit short for recovery. I think that my recovery, and it's been 3 weeks and 2 days since I went to hospital, has been exceptional so far, especially reading what others go thought.

My GP is giving me work certificate without any question. I will be seeing my "hospital" doctorin two weeks time and until then I am plannig to work only part time.

As for being breathless, I think you need to be caruful not to confuse breathlessness due to PE with feeling of inability to take a deep breath associated with anxiety that plagues so many people who went through this experience.

Good luck with your recovery!!

• Posted

I don't believe I have any anxiety but I will definitely have the doctor check for me next time I go, on the 25th, bc that can be the case and I don't know. And I was thinking 10 days is a little to short, I don't think I'll be ready in 10 days but I probably will have to go part time and do MR WORK

• Posted

Hi hun,

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through,

I would ask your GP for pain medication as mine give's me two types of morphine to help me with my pain.

I had a massive saddle blood clot (which lays across both lungs) 

and I've been told I'm lucky to be alive.

This happened on April the 1st this year and I'm still off work and it doesn't look like I will be going back anytime soon,

I take one day at a time.

Talk to your doctor about your pain hun as you certainly can have pain killers while on blood thinners as I'm on Rivaroxaban,

and you shouldn't be left to cope in pain at all.

Please don't rush back to work before you are better.

My GP just gives me 3 months sick notes now.

One of the common side effects of having a PE is anxiety and some people don't understand what anxiety is, plus it's nothing to be ashame of, I have it and you will probably find most of us on here have it too,

you saying you're worried about getting another one, about going back to work and trying not to get/go into any situations just incase you get yourself worked up etc.. sounds like anxiety to me as anxiety is worrying, so again please talk to your GP.

Did your consultant or GP talk about a follow up CT scan at the hospital to check if your clots has dissolved in a few weeks?

This group is really good as we have all been where you are and hopefully understand your pain and help/support you through this as it is very scary and we all need someone to just understand how that fear feels, which again we have all felt.

You are not alone hun!

I really hope you feel better soon and hopefully you will be back to work sooner rather than later.

Sending you a warm hug 🌺

• Posted

I know I've been seeming mostly every one had been out for months. Oh my that's terrible I'm sorry to hear that, and yes we're all blessed to be alive.

And yes, the doc scheduled me a few appointments to check on the process. They  also scheduled me with a OBGYN to change my BC but I don't think I will take anymore at all bc I don't want to be in the same predicament again.

And that's definitely possible, I have a little bit of anxiety.  I am worried about a lot of things.😩 But I'll make sure to talk with him when I go to my appointment. And I'm definitely going to ask about pain killers. It not like an ongoing pain, mainly it's when I'm laying down, or try to lay on my right side, when I laugh, and sometime when I've been moving around too much and get short of breath.

It really has been helpfully with all the feed back. Thank you very much 😍

Right now to this day, are you short of breath still or have chest when you move around sometime?

• Posted

I also get short of breath putting on clothes my BF helps out a great deal, putting on and taking off my shirts bras socks and shoes. It hurts to bend over and put on bras at times. I'm honestly thankful for him. I don't want to feel like I'm a burden on him, having to look after me. Plus us not being able to do some of the things we used to. Like walks in the park the zoo, anything. I don't want him to be bored or cooped up in the house bc I get sob walking around. 😩 I mentioned that to him, and he's like stop it! But I try not to be too needy and do as much as I can tolerate on my own.

• Posted

Yes and my pulmonist told me not to raise my arms above my head because it's hard to pump the blood up the arms.  I got very short of breath then.  I was actually admitted for 3 weeks on oxygen.  The nurses were quite nasty, kept turning the O2 down and said you can't go home with oxygen.  I said "watch me". I went home and got oxygen.  I fight for what I believe is right.  They don't know what you are going through.  Not many ppl live thru PEs.  Many die. Fight for yourself.  No one else will.🙂🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.