Pelvic floor exercises

Posted , 8 users are following.

I've been trying to puzzle this out.  HOW do pelvic floor exercises help a prolapse?  I can understand it holding the prolapse in more when the muscles are clenched, but when they're relaxed, how does that help the prolapse?  Is it that 'bulked up muscle' makes the entrance smaller by taking up space, so that stops the prolapse falling down so much?  Sorry if this is a stupid question!  Something that puzzled me today too - I saw something in a catalogue that was being sold as a pelvic floor strengthener that you gripped between the thighs - trying to fathom out how the thighs would strengthen the pelvic floor!  Unless it had all slipped a very long way LOL!

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

When i was first told i had prolapse years ago i was told to do exercises they even talked about an internal thing to clench onto which i suppose would have got smaller rather than bigger as you muscled in around it. Lol guess they are more widely available now!!!! Under a different guise lol

there is a machine on the market which electrically stimulates the muscles internally sold under the kegal name if i remember rightly

• Posted

Ah yes, I've a feeling I saw something like that Lisa.  I'll research it I think.  I'm a bit anxious about using anything like that in case it damages any sensitive skin, but maybe it's soft rather than hard plastic or whatever.  The doctor who looked at the prolapse a couple of weeks ago was so rough that she made me bleed and it was sore for such a long time but I don't suppose for a moment that these machines would be anything like that.  Will definitely have a look.  I found the TENS so good for pain relief in my spine that I've got quite a positive outlook on this sort of thing.
  • Posted

Doing the exercises would strengthen the muscles over time...the stronger they get the better you would be. My dr just told me they should helpe over time. Am trying to do KEIGEL exercise ... I am so sore with burning pain. Hard to do them for me. But I keep trying.
    • Posted

Oh Pat I'm sorry it's so painful!  Yes, I think for you, starting very gently is going to be the way forward.  I'm starting to think women weren't designed so well!
    • Posted

Designed for having children is a great thing but the problems that come with aging are just terrible.
    • Posted

Yes, we didn't have a clue when we were younger, did we:-)
    • Posted

The doctors should be telling new mothers after they give birth to start pelvic floor exercises within at least 6 weeks after birth to keep the pelvic floor firm and secure. Most of us were never told about pelvic floor exercises or what a prolapse was. I never heard of a prolapse until I suffered from it over ten years ago.

Blessings to all

Lynn

• Posted

You're right Lynne.  The first problem I had was about 6 years or so ago and they just used a ring pessary then for years, being changed every few months, so no pelvic floor exercises then, but previously I'd had two children, one miscarriage (with D & C), one op for removal of fibroids and uterus lazered, so add that lot to the connective tissue problem and it's no surprise at all that I've got a problem!  I think I should be counting my blessings that it didn't happen sooner!
  • Posted

I have surgery for anterior, posterior and hysterectomy Oct 27.... I started with a physical therapist in reference to strengthening the pelvic floor muscles before surgery. This will continue when alllowed after surgery and will strenghten my pelvic floor to keep things in place and lesson my chances a having surgery later on down the road.
    • Posted

Ah - interesting!  Was this through the NHS?  I'm so glad that someone has got the right advice, anyway, even if I didn't!  I hope it all goes really well for you and do let us know how you get on.  I didn't have the posterior repair, but had the hysterectomy and the anterior.  Mine was done laparoscopically and truly was amazing.  The worst pain was the bloating but I spent a day thinking about what I'd take for it - was prepared so had various wind remedies, and by the time I'd decided what to take, the worst of the pain had gone, so I didn't take anything.  I did take the pain killers they gave me though.  I got a bladder infection (was warned I might) and that knocked me for six a bit, but as soon as the antibiotics worked I was fine.  I was very careful not to lift etc. and husband helped me hugely, but the whole thing was much easier than I expected.  I wish you a speedy recovery:-)  The only thing I wish I'd done was take a cushion to sit on in the car on the way home from hospital because every little bump we went over seemed to jolt my sensitive insides - I can still remember that:-)
  • Posted

Hey all. Sorry I am being thick here now too!! Ermm... What's the different between pelvic floor exercises and kegels??! I thought kegels was just a posh name for pelvic floor exercises but you guys are talking as if they are different??! 

I am consciously doing lots of pelvic floor exercises, am I missing a trick not doing kegels too - whatever they are!!!

• Posted

Good question Lorraine - I thought Kegels was the same thing too!  But it's just faster to type Kegels than pelvic floor exercises:-) 
    • Posted

Haha thanks for checking Chris! Kegels sounds a much nicer term for these exercises so I will refer to these as kegels from now on!

That will throw my boyfriend when he says he's off to the gym to do some bench presses and leg extensions.... I will respond with yes you go to the gym, I will crack on with doing kegels here!! X

• Posted

LOL!  Yes, it sounds awfully impressive, doesn't it LOL!  I'm finding that I'm doing them automatically now - so much of the time, without thinking about it LOL!  But still going to make sure I'm doing concetrated ones because the ones without thinking perhaps don't go to the full 'crunch' that the thought about ones do:-)  I've looked up the electronic aids and read, like everything on the net, conflicting thoughts about them, but it would be good to know if anyone on here has used them and found them to be good?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.