Pelvic floor exercises after surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Asked doc on his rounds this morn. He said need to give stitches some time to heal. 4-6 weeks to start but depending how comfortable for you. Gently at first. But stressed importance of them to prevent prolapse returning.

Hope this helps X

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That's good news Lauday but I thought you said you hadn't had prolapse surgery?
    • Posted

Matron, sorry to bother you, I have been on three movicol a day it made me go three times today and then had a bad tummy ake would you say cut down?

hope you are ok and the house move is sorted.

• Posted

No just hysterectomy. I told doc ladies are confused with conflicting advice and he said if had repair 4-6 weeks but best not before. And everhyone heals at different pace x
    • Posted

Patients do heal at different times that's something I keep saying on this forum but your consultant can't give advice to ladies who aren't his patients and some ladies have posted that they are told they can start pelvic floor exercises straight away following their operation. It can be confusing reading here any advice you give regarding pelvic floor exercises because you haven't had a prolapse repair only a hysterectomy. 
  • Posted

What sergeryhave you had lv, hope is as all gone well
    • Posted

Lauday said yesterday she had a hysterectomy so any information regarding pelvic floor exercises is not entirely relevant to you as you have had a repair. 
    • Posted

Thank you matron, other than a bad tummy and itchy stiches I feel not to bad today.

i wish I could travel for two hours to the caravan but scared of doing some damage

• Posted

There's no reason why you can't travel. You won't do any harm but sitting for any length of time may be uncomfortable, however you can always have a few stops along the way.
    • Posted

Hysterectomy. Been very weak but pain less today want try and go home later. Going toilet ok not had BM yet even though taking movicol and lactoluse. Bit worried cos do suffer wi constipation don't want to strain at all. Thanks for asking. Hope you are ok xx
    • Posted

I didn't go for five days it was awful the movicol three times a day made me go after both ops xx
    • Posted

Gillian you had prolapse surgery so you would have problems with your bowels, there shouldn't be any bowel problems following a hysterectomy x
    • Posted

I have been on codiene that probably making me constipated just taking paracetomal now. Just very uncomfortable and bad wind pain, had hot peppermint few times hopefully go soon. Going home soon looking forward to own bed. X
    • Posted

Lauday have you joined the hysterectomy forum? There will be more advice there because the ladies on this forum have or thinking about prolapse surgery.
    • Posted

I was in hospital for 5 days. Struggles to pass wind never mind a bm. Only managed equivalent to a few 'wet pumps' before going home despite using glycerin suppositories. I went home with catheter in on min and had to go back on wed to have it removed. I was in agony needing a bm. Consultant wrote me up for an ennima which was a godsend. I already take procalapride which was prescribed by my colorectal surgeon as still need to have bowel surgery for a prolapse of vowels when I recover from this current op. So going to the toilet since this op has been difficult as I can't push at all. Even struggles to pass wind. This alone gets me stressed.

Oh the joys we have to go through!!!

• Posted

Lauday has had a hysterectomy so it's unlikely she'll have the same problems 
    • Posted

Lauday, please do not think I am being disrespectful because I am not, an hystorectomy is totally difrent to a prolaps and there is difrent methods and difrent exercise for both operation.

there s a web site for hystorectomy which I believe you have had and the lady's will really benefit from your exsperiance on the web site sorry for being frank but some of the comments can be confusing. Xx

good luck with your recovery xx

• Posted

You are right Gillian hysterectomy is so different from prolapse surgery and the recovery and advice following the operation is different. 
    • Posted

Take three movicol a day it will move you then reduce accordingly it works for me
    • Posted

Not sure I'd be able to take if along with the procalapride. I'd have enquire.
    • Posted

Matron I had hysterectomy, prolapse repair and tvt all together so may have some similar issues.
    • Posted

The main issue for you would be the repair and tvt. The hysterectomy would pale into insignificance 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.