Pelvic floor pain w/ diverticulitis

Posted , 13 users are following.

Diagnosed w/ DD 7.15.17 - 6 days in hospital, 5 days IV antibiotics, bowel rest. Anyone else have pelvic floor pain? Appears that DD affects bladder? Actually, quite a bit of pain in the lower region. Anyone else? Thanks.

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi 

Sorry you have been poorly with DD Kerry. I have had several flare ups and always very low in pelvic floor area. In fact I find it agony to even strain down on the toilet. I also  sometimes have mucusy blood. It is miserable but if you do have a flare up don't forget to cut out all the fibre and start a liquid or very bland diet until it heals.

Best wishes.  Angela

• Posted

Hi Angela,

Thank you for your reply ... I thought I was crazy ... seems ibuprofen and putting my feet up help. Some days I come home from work exhausted and so sore. I didn't figure in bladder issues w/ DD.

My diet consists of bland egg salad, bland white chicken salad on toast. Soup, liquids. Truthfully, I'm afraid to eat anything more. The only "sweet" thing I've had is Kool-Aid and a can of peaches.

Thank you

• Posted

Yes!! 
    • Posted

Hi Madeline,

Never dreamed DD would affect bladder - sometimes it seems I can never "finish" when voiding ... always a few more drops.

Guess everything in there is "inflammed" - had no idea the COLON was the boss in the stomach.

Thank you.

• Posted

Yes unfortunately it does but not getting constipated really is an important key. I find that when I haven't gone in a day my bladder and rectum feel pressure.  In turn irritate those pockets of D. Hope you feel better soon. Also try a warm heating pad. It helps my dull cramps.

• Posted

Thanks, Madeline.

Another fear - constipation! I find good ol' fashioned prune juice helps me. I've been drinking a small glass in the morning and it helps to keep me regular.

Although, with not eating much factors in the regularity. I've dropped 20 lbs.

Seems if I put my feet up, it seems to ease.

Can't thank you enough for your support. Sure helps to know we're not alone in this.

• Posted

I have had DD fOr many years and most recently have had terrible pelvic discomfort. It doesn't help that I have a prolapse too! I've been pretty miserable but even though my doctor encourages fiber I watch the amount. I do find keeping my bowels soft help. When it appears to be hard I find taking Miralax really is a life saver. Every other day works for me to get regulated.  I probably need prolapse surgery and am so fearful of it. All the meds block you and the fear of a D ATTACK SCARES ME!🙏 I've found trying to stay calm is difficult but work on it everyday. 💕

• Posted

Hi Kerry - as a guy the set up is a little different, but I can concur that during a flare up I get a lot of pain as the bladder fills up. For example at night, it will be that which wakes me long before the usual need to pee. The pain is central and low, maybe about 3 cm below the belly button.

My tentative model for this is purely where the diverticula are lying - presumably they are on the sigmoid just under the bladder, so you simply get a pressure effect as the bladder fills up and pushes on the inflamed area of the colon.

I'm just getting over 2 months of pretty continual DD illness so I can appreciate exactly where your at. What seems to me to be critical is going fully liquid at first and then being very very careful how you reintroduce fiber, Several times I've rushed it and payed the price! Recently Ive have a lot of success using these 'juicing diets'  (you need to buy a juicer) but so far it has been a huge help. You get fruit and soluble fibre back but in a very easy to digest form. 

Good luck and keep the faith - you will feel better 

James 

• Posted

Many sufferers on this site are from the UK. The UK medical profession does not seem to treat this disease from what I can tell.  Someone on this site actually takes the seeds out of tomatoes to live a pain free life?  I live in the US and have been in constant pain for 9 months.  I have lost 50 lbs and have tried all the liquid diets (the pain goes away until I start introducing anything!)  I have had hospital visits and have been on antibiotics 6 times in 9 months.  I have had 4 CAT scans to confirm it is diverticulitis and infected.  I could have told them that without the scans. I have had a colonoscopy which also confirms infection of the colon.  I have decided to have surgery in the middle of September and will let everyone know on this site if it was successful or not.

• Posted

I know how you feel. Been contemplating the same. Been watching what I eat but have slipped. Fingers crossed. Prayers for speedy recovery!🙏

• Posted

Hey Ron - yes there seem to be quite a few UK based on the site (I am) - you can normally tell by ER vs A&E etc!  Yes, UK (and France certainly) try to avoid surgery - in the UK we tend just to be sent home and told to get on with it, unless something life threatening happens in which case they will react. I think it is a mixture of an economic reason and also a fear of post Op complications. The great thing is you're having your surgery done in a place which does a lot of it - if I have colon surgery I think I'd elect to have it done by Uncle Sam's finest as they're in practice! 

There is a lot here on (e.g. see DIVI DINERS forum) what people eat - nearly everyone I've read or questioned avoids cellulose intake as it isnt dissolved by the stomach  - hence tomato skins pips etc. Its interesting you get to the phase of being pain free on liquids, but it won't let you get further...trouble is I think there is a wide variation between our reactions simply due to structural issues as to where, how big etc the individual diverticula are, so something that is ok for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else.  Rather like you I've had about 6 attacks this year - the last one has been running for 2 months, and I've finally got it back to the (almost) pain free stage using liquids and lowfiber solids... will see how much further it can be taken!

Please post your experiences and the very best of luck 

James 

• Posted

I know that skins and seeds should be avoided. They are difficult to digest as meat too. I do it ground meat as in burgers, chili etc. but not a lot.  I too am trying to avoid surgery. I've been hospitalized and take antibiotics but my surgeon says to take METAMUCIL and drink lots of water. I try but it's easier said than done and avoiding skins is a pain. My fingers are crossed because I have eaten both recently. Don't do it often but love olives and grapes so most recently indulged. It sure is a test!!😙

• Posted

haha - yes I'm a olive fan as well! For me (at least) it seems to be important to get the colon completely inflammation free - once it is back in that state I suspect you can get away with much more (though the trouble is the downside of triggering a new attack is so huge that risk wise it might just be smart to always cut certain foods out). While it still has inflammation then my experience over the last couple of months suggests you have to be very very careful and back off immediately it starts complaining. I haven't started using Metamucil but have been playing around with prunes ... the problem seems to be that (somewhat ironically) you get forced into a low fiber diet but then get constipated, so then have to add some form of laxative...

good luck with the olives and grapes though!

• Posted

Thank you.  The surgeon says she has had a 100% success rate.
    • Posted

Definitely what you want to have in your surgeon - good luck!

J

• Posted

I too do what you do. My last attack(🙏wink was February this year.  I was hospitalized and given IV antibiotics and some to take for a week after.

One of the worst. I remained on a soft low fiber diet until the end of May. I really was afraid to eat anything other than soft.

So it was approximately 3 months I rested my colon.  I then started Metamucil which I dislike and felt I have to take too much which in turn I felt really didn't help much. I know have eaten steak once ok and not many raw veggies at all.

The olive and grapes are new so as I said hopefully if I lay low and don't eat anymore for a while I'll be ok.

I truly believe when a buildup occurs that's when flare ups start.

If I eat too much fiber it bothers me too. I use a heating pad if I feel some distress and it really helps.

I don't want surgery for many other health reasons (I've had 3 major unrelated surgeries so I am trying to handle these until I have no other choice. God Bless and Goid luck!👍

• Posted

Ps I take Miralax for those times of constipation. That too you almost have to catch early. Forcing is not good!
    • Posted

When you say you remained in a low fibre diet for months what did this diet consist of ? Did you not eat any fruit or veg ?
    • Posted

I'm going to body in on you guys conversation!

I'm in pretty big distressed tonight with the bloating in the pain in the colon!

What do you suggest eating when the doctor won't even take you serious about what's going on even though you've been confirmed with diverticulitis?

Had a colonoscopy attempt 2 weeks ago it was an epic fail because of the scarring couldn't finish it!

Fasted for a barium enema to see exactly what was going on I was denied that test to because they're saying that my colon still had a lot of feces in it!

I find that hard to believe but that's all it is because I know that I did the protocol as per instructed and I was running clear liquid but every time I have an x-ray or scan there is what they call "feces" and every one of them same spot same looking spot every time 3 preps now in the last 2 weeks and I'm fasting again to reattempt is barium enema!

Getting to the point of frightened because that's too many preps in that short of time I'm 5 foot 3 and 105 lbs now!

If you were told to do a prep like that 3 times in 2 weeks would you do it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.