Pelvic pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just started on warfarin for atrial fibrillation. Getting a lot of low pelvic pain, feels just like period pains. But it can't be - I'm 65 and had a hysterectomy 20 years ago!

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No, I don't have too many side effects with warfarin, I do with beta blocker and statins though. Anything can have side effects, but not heard of pelvic pain with warfarin.

I also have AF, and am on warfarin probably for life. In view of this I have just this month bought my own INR monitoring machine, so I can always know my INR is within range.  Give it time, I took almost a year to adapt to needing Meds, even now, I'm not happy on them, but know it's better than having a stroke.  

• Posted

Thanks, Slipware. I was considering buying my own INR machine, but at the anti-coag. clinic they tell me I would probably be a candidate for a change to a non-monitored anticoagulant in about a year's time, so it probably isn't worth it.
    • Posted

My husband has asked several times to be changed from warfarin, due to the many and horrible side effects....two years later he is still waiting! We have now bought a machine as his INR goes up and down so much. Doctors clinic only wanted to see him every 12 to 14 weeks...too many side effects to wait that long as the INR of 2 would mostly end up as 4 or more. At least now we can check weekly and keep it more or less in range
  • Posted

I get pain in my weight bearing joints, hips, knees and toes. There are lots of side effects not listed in the packet leaflet. One of my neighbours says that he aches all over and is always cold. One lady neighbour like me has joint pain and hair loss and now wears a wig. It is a wicked drug but effective drug.  Are you also on amiodarone or a beta blocker?

I used to get pelvic pain when I was taking diuretics.

• Posted

Thanks, Derek. Sounds like it's all going to be a lot of fun. Yes, I am on a very low dose beta blocker.
    • Posted

As I posted earlier after restarting Warfarin my joint pains returned. For the past week the pelvic pain has returned but my urine output has gone down so it possibly could be a bladder infection or prostititus. As before the pelvic pain is worse when in bed.

I had an appointment two weeks ago at a hypertension referral centre. When I blamed warfarin for my joint pains he said that he had never heard of that before. 

• Posted

Dear Derek and Lucy, for the record, after four monthes on marevan and bilateral joint pain in shoulders, hips, elbows and knees, i changed from warfarin to rivaroxaban since January 2014 and the pain gets even worse.

Are you aware of the 1999 hypothesis about the subthrombotic process termed ISAC (Immune System Activation of Coagulation) by Berg from the HEMEX Lab: pathogen (infection) plus a coagulation defect allows excess thrombin generation, converting fibrinogen to soluble fibrin. Soluble fibrin increases plasma viscosity and may decrease blood flow, a key issue in disrupted coagulation and how this model of disease is involved on the cellular level in many different and seemingly unrelated disease processes like autoimmune ones.

I am pursuing some hypothesis on possible causes for my thrombotic events that could display my painful symptoms, in my case, spondyloarthropathy.

Besides joints i have lower back pain.

• Posted

Thanks, Marcos. No, I wasn't aware of the hypothesis you mention, but it sounds interesting. I will do some research.
    • Posted

I think we can all have side effects, but the alternative, ie a stroke or heart attack are just not worth the risk.  I did come off the warfarin (with cardiologist blessing I add) for just one month to see if it helped my side effects. Which are tinnitus, buzzing head etc, but it made no difference, so I then accepted my fate, and take my warfarin religiously, in the hope I can eventually live with the weird head I have now! It's got to be better than being fully disabled by blood clots or bleeds.  
    • Posted

Repeating myself from other threads on this site.

I stopped Warfarin last August after having been on it for 14 months(Surgeon had said I could Cardiologist disagreed) Within three weeks my joints were much improved.

Unfortunately I had a colonoscopy in November and the probe stimulated my vagus nerve dramatically bringing down my BP and heart rate and I went back into AF. I was put back on warfarin prior to sucessful cardiversion in March and and within weeks my joint pains were back.

• Posted

This is interesting - seems like the joint pain was definitely exacerbated by the Warfarin. I wait to see whether the joint pain I already have (arthritis) will be made any worse with continuing Warfarin use.
    • Posted

I have some intermitant arthritis pain in my left hip but soon the right one was painful as well and the pain in the left hip was an additional one. I had several orthopaedic apointments. One said that I did not need a hip replacement. One decided that it migh be bursitis in the hips and gave me cortisone injections that did nothing to improve the situation. Later he said of my left hip that he could do a hip replacement but he thought that would not cure the problem and that I would soon be back to complain.

I had an X-ray on my knees and was told that they were in very good conditon for a 78 year old. 

I read that warfarin can cause bleeding in the joints and be the cause of the pain. My GP disagree saying that bleedg in the joints would be a medical emergency and cause major swelling.

• Posted

Is there any reason that your blood clot would cause a disabling stroke rather than a minor one? They hold this axe over our heads to make us take the 'bleeding' drug that makes us just as likely to have a  haemorrhagic stroke while taking it.

Over the past few weeks my joint pains have increased and the pelvic area pain that I previously associated with diuretics is back.

Last week I had my first appointment at a Hypertension referral centre. When I mentioned joint pain from warfarin the Nephrologist said that he had not heard of that side effect.

• Posted

When ever my husband mentioned joint pain to a Doctor he was told none of the problems he mentioned were to do with warfarin...its what ever else he is taking...as he doesn't take any other drugs and the week he had off of warfarin while waiting for a minor operation stopped all the side effects straight away, I think we are just being given a standard reply of 'you are imagining it'. I really get annoyed for him as we are treated like stupid children who can't possibly know what causes what.
    • Posted

Sorry your husband is having problems, but it does seem to be an individual thing; I am now well stabilised on a low dose of Warfarin, and don't seem to be getting any side effects. I had an x-ray on my knee (which has been arthritic for some time) which found lots of osteophytes forming. This could be quite painful,apparently, but it isn't at the moment and certainly doesn't seem to have got any worse since taking the Warfarin.
    • Posted

As Mandy Rice Davies said in court, he would say that wouldn't he.

• Posted

I had an X-Ray last year after having stopped warfarin and was told that I had  very good knees for a 78 year old. I went back on warfarin about three months later and now the knee pain is back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.