Pelvic pain after biopsy

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello. I had a uterine biopsy this morning and all day I have had mild pelvic discomfort and pain, even in the area around my ovaries.   Anyone felt this?  I am sort of wondering if it is psychosomatic since I also have severe anxiety around medical issues and just the word biopsy freaks me out.  

Thanks in advance!!

1 like, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, Tracey.  Sorry to learn you're in pain.  I was in similar pain from my biopsy, too, for a few days.  Your body experiences pain and stress from procedures In its own unique way, so each person is different.  I wouldn't call it psychosomatic, its just been injured.

Please try to take one cay at a time.  "Now" is all we can really claim. Best of luck. xx 

• Posted

Yes, I have had two biopsies and both times felt mild pain/discomfort in the area which went away after a couple of days.
  • Posted

How did it feel at the time.  I’m freaked about at the thought of one.  I can’t even have a smear test without terrible pain
    • Posted

It was fine, just very mild cramp for a few seconds and it was all done. Smears hurt a lot worse in my experience. Take some ibuprofen before
    • Posted

Thanks.  I am loosing so much sleep over this.  I wouldn’t mind being put to sleep but then I’d be worried about that too.  Thanks a million.  I hope your results are positive.  I’m sure they will be xx
    • Posted

It hurt - pretty significant cramping - but it was over very quickly.   I was so glad she was able to do it that way rather than surgical I honestly didn’t care about the pain!   The doctor was fabulous - tried to distract me with little questions and that helped. 
    • Posted

Hi, I was terrified, but I asked my doc for a mild tranquilizer to take the night before and about an hour and a half before.  That helped with the fear.  But I was so upset (I have bowel problems) I had to start to take immodium the afternoon of the day before the test.  

I'm not saying my fear was greater than yours, I'm just saying it's totally against human nature to voluntarily show up for and "lie still and be good" while anyone does something painful to you.  I've found lots of 5 year olds can put up a really good fight; who can blame them?

All the best, I'm thinking of you! xx.  

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

It is normal. Did you take anything? Maybe some Motrin or whatever you usually take for cramps. Hope you feel better soon and hoping for good results from your biopsy.

• Posted

The procedure was excruciating, but it only lasted a few seconds.  Had mild cramping / spotting after.  But nothing major!
    • Posted

Omg.  I bet you wouldn’t have that done again without a General.

I need one soon and will definitely pay for a General if they were to refuse to let me have it.

• Posted

Hi, Cilla,

They may not do a general, but they might do conscious sedation.  That's what they use for invasive, painful procedures.  The patient's only sedated lightly and for a few minutes.  xx

• Posted

Do you know if conscious sedation is effective because I am petrified literally x
    • Posted

Believe me, I understand!  Conscious sedation is effective.  The drugs are administered by IV.  So, there is specific timing involved.  Actually, the patient is relatively conscious and aware during the procedure, but will not feel the pain or remember it afterwards. They use it for colonoscopies in the U.S.  The patient's only sedated for about 3 hours or less.   

When you see the doctor to ask about it, as for a mild tranquilizer to take the night before. The last time I had a colonoscopy, I was petrified, and my gastro guy said it took more to get me "under" but I did fine.  

I think they'd be more willing to do that than sedate you, actually, sedation is much more dangerous for the patient.  Best of luck! xx

• Posted

Are you from USA or UK?

I wondered if there were different procedures here.  Many are offered nothing x

• Posted

Howdy!  smile. I'm in the southwest USA.  My ob/gyn here would have done a hysteroscopy, which is a similar procedure, to a biopsy and a biopsy is performed during it.  

The alternative was an in office biopsy and it was very hard, but there had been (in my mind) too long of a delay between starting to spot, which was April 14, 2016 and the time I could get the biopsy performed, which was finally in July, after a vaginal ultrasound and blood work had been done.

The reasons for the delay were many, and I won't go into them here.  Believe me, I understand and I'm thinking of you.  Best of luck and please let me know how you get on! xx

• Posted

sorry you had the delay Lynda! I saw my GYN and had a sonohysterogram within two days. Then three days later had the biopsy. The whole issue was done within a week. Of course I had to have blood work too. Basically it was a week from hell. I'm in the USA.

• Posted

Hi Daisy,

About the delay.  I contacted my GP and made an appointment.  Unfortunately, she only works part time and tends to cancel appointments often.  I think she has some kind of chronic condition.  So, one appointment was cancelled and it took a couple of weeks to get another.  

She saw me at that appointment and did a pelvic.  Then called a lab within the medical group to set me up for an ultrasound.  They called to book me, and in a sing-song voice the receptionist told me I'd need to consume 48 ounces of water before my appointment, so they could view everything correctly.  I am 68, and there's no way I could do that! I fretted, and fretted, then decided to call and cancel.

I knew I needed an ob/gyn rather than a gp.  So I called my go's office and asked for a referral.  It took over a week for her to get back to me.  The only reason she did was that I called, expressed my frustration to the receptionist at the practice, and she tracked down the doctor's nurse! Fortunately she recommended the same ob/gyn practice that I'd already booked an appointment with.  I'd wanted two referrals.    

While waiting for the gp to get back to me, I'd called my endocrinologist, who got back to me the next day.  She recommended the same practice as the gp.  I called their office and a very nice lady asked me if I wanted a female ob/gyn or if I wanted to see one right away.

I said right away, of course, and I got booked into seeing the nicest man about a week later.  Very experienced, very kind.  I saw him and got a vaginal ultrasound the same day and went for blood tests to check for ovarian cancer markers.  I broke down and told him I couldn't consume and hold the 48 ounces of water that the other lab had told me I needed to drink (and hold).  He said, "If your bladder feels full, it is, and that's more than enough!"    

My ovarian stripe was too wide, but the ovarian cancer tests were negative.  Then I panicked and my bile salt malabsorption kicked into over drive.  I had to cancel 2 appointments for a biopsy.  He ordered tranquilizers for me and I started taking immodium the night before.  

I finally got the biopsy done on a Tuesday--he called me with the results late Friday afternoon.  He referred me to my oncologist, and luckily, they'd had a surgery cancellation so my surgery had been scheduled before I saw the doctor. My GP called the day after my surgery to "See how I was doing" and to offer to help me get in touch with my oncologist, "If I had trouble contacting him."  I sat up in bed and was polite, just like mamma taught me, but I was very angry.  She's no longer my doctor, needless to say.

I was staged at 1a and they followed me closely for a year.  I had surgery in July, and found a tumor in the muscle wall of my abdomen about a year later.  It happens.  I'm now on #5 of 6 chemos, then surgery and radiation.  I'm doing about as one would expect after 4 chemos.  No stamina, sometimes pain (my tumor is shrinking).  And, all the other crap physical and emotional.  Taking it one day at a time.x 

• Posted

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate it!  I'm doing all right, and my situation is pretty good.  Though sometimes, it's hard to bear up, you know?  Then, I go to this web site and read, and respond and realize that there's always, always someone who's got it worse.  And that reminds me of how many blessings I have.

Best of luck to you! xx 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.