Peoples experiences with Genital Warts

Posted , 20 users are following.

Hi all,

I was first diagnosed with genital warts when I was 16 and it was pretty heartbreaking for me as I was in a relationship and he didn't show any symptoms. I never knew who I got it from as I had been in a relationship previously and neither boyfriends ever got the warts.

However, my boyfriend and I broke up after around 6 months after my diagnosis. A few months after we broke up and stopped sleeping together, my warts disappeared and I've never had a wart since. I am now 19.

I just wanted to hear other people's experiences of having them as I would like to know the rates of reoccurrence and stuff.

I try to have a much more positive outlook on it now but it would be nice to know there's others out there for support.

Thanks,

Em

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got genital warts when I was 21, after a few months of treatment both freezing and creams they went away and never came back. I'm now 31 and got tested about 4 years ago to see if the HPV virus was still in my system. Good news, it wasn't, my body cleared it. 

It did however cause me to have abnormal smear test results and eventually having to have LLETZ (burning) treatment to get the abnormal cells removed. However this took years to come about. But I'm still on yearly smear tests rather than every 3 years which is the norm in the uk. 

I also had a long term bf for 9 of those years who never showed any symptoms or signs of HPV. 

So a good story, but now I'm afraid I've caught herpes. 

• Posted

Aw I'm so happy to hear they cleared! I will go get a test done soon! I thought I would definitely have it for life! Sorry to hear that you think you've got herpes! Are you going to the doctors to find out?

• Posted

I would recommend getting tested by your Gyno and checking if the HPV is still in your body. 
    • Posted

I didn't know you could do that so I will! Won't the hpv always be in my body?

• Posted

Depends on the person and their immune system. Some people have a lot of outbreaks over years and some people like me only 1 and then never again. Get tested then you'll know. Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Emily. Unfortunately my experience was different . I contacted HPV in my late teens. Had them frozen off and never had a problem with them until I was in my forties when I get as diagnosed with anal cancer. What I had always thought was a hemmeriod turned out to be a tumour that looked like a huge wart. It was 4 centimeters . And that was just the one that was on the outside of my rectum. I had another 3 cm.one on my sphincter and 11 more smaller ones inside my anus. They were caused from the HPV virus that had mutated . I had surgery for the 4cm. One . they laser burned out the smaller ones and did chemo and radiation for the one on my sphincter to avoid having to wear a coleostomy bag. ( it worked) . my advice is to also get a rectal exam. Especially if you have changes in your bowel functions . sorry to impart bad news but knowledge is power
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your message, I'm so sorry to hear about the hell you've been through. Thanks for making me aware and I will go get checked out as soon as I can. Did they say that the genital warts were the reason you got cancer?

• Posted

Hey! I'm 19 and have been recently diagnosed, just started Aldara so I'll see how that goes. Lack of effective treatment for genital warts is what scares me the most, I can probably live with knowing I'll always have it but a decent treatment to get rid of the appearance quickly would be good! Anyway I've actually joined a clinical trial to compare effectiveness of current treatment just to help research along.

Clearly not a lot is known by the virus, even now. I'd like to point out that the strain of HPV that causes warts does not cause cancer, the main worry is that co-infection tends to occur so people may be transmitted both genital warts and cancer causing strains simultaneously, but presence of genital warts does not mean you're going to get cancer. It's just a standard safety procedure to get checked frequently, like every woman should.

All this still overwhelms me but I try to keep a positive outlook, I'm just unlucky I suppose. Can't lie I do miss having sex but currently my sexual desire has been hammered down by this affliction, I daren't touch another soul while this is around.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for sharing your experience. I found that the most effective treatment that I had was freezing, I've not had another episode of them yet but I have a feeling I will at some point in my life.

Have you got many? It's sad that we've got it for life but at the moment I'm just using condoms and when I find a partner that I have children with I will have to tell them then. You just have to be careful.

Hope you manage to get rid of them soon!

• Posted

The nurse counted 15! Originally I was shaving so I believe that caused them to spread. It's reassuring that you've not had a recurrence yet, I'm not the healthiest person in the world so I hope I can claim the same once they're gone.

That's my plan of action too, and if in many years my potential husband is worried about what I have, there is an approved vaccine so people shouldn't be all that afraid of a pesky inconvenience.

• Posted

some people don't manage to clear the virus but some people like me do! It might take a few years but your body can clear it. Read my comments above. In a couple of years time after the first OB I would get yourself tested during your smear test then you'll know if you still have it or not. 

I did nothing special, in fact I was at uni drinking and smoking and leading an unhealthy student lifestyle and my immune system got rid of it! But I do have a good immune system in general. Fingers crossed you'll all clear it! 

• Posted

You do realize if you had an outbreak once & never had another since, especially after a couple months or years even, you probably cleared the virus itself. Meaning you no longer have the virus. Yeah there's no cures for HPV but your immune system can clear it entirely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.