Peri and recently diagnosed with aneania. worried!!!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies

Just wanted some reassurance. Ive ben in perimenopause eight years and had every symptom there is to have!!!

I have just been tokd im aneamic by my gp and put on iron tablets. I did have a two week long period a couple weeks ago so they are attributing it to that.

Ive suffered severe health anxiety in perimenopause and this is causing my anxiety to soar. My concern is this ive had very heavy flloding periods the last couole years then none for two months. Then they come back again you get the picture. Why hasnt aneamia showed up before when periods were heavy then. Why now?

Of course my mind is working over time thinking the worst. I hate being like this befire peri I never worried all the timesad(.

Ive been feeling very unwell too so not helping.

Am I just over reacting again!!!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, anxiety and worry is all part of peri symptoms, everything regards your bleeding seems quite normal as mine is very similar but I bleed for longer periods. I would say it's just took this long for you too become anaemic so I wouldnt worry about that. Now your doc has given you iron tablets that should help you a lot. Being anaemic affects your mood and stops you getting out and living your life so that should change. If your worried still can your doc arrange a pelvic ultrasound to check everything out. I'm sure everything sounds very normal tho, hugs to you x
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.

I only started iron yesterday but im so breathless and fatigued also tearful.

You have reassured me though. I dont know what I would do without this site and you ladies.

God bless you abd thanks again.

Oh just wondered how long for iron to kick in x

• Posted

I too am having prolonged bleeds, can you tell me how long yours last for please.  I am sure it is just normal for peri but I can't help worrying at times.
    • Posted

Hiya I had an episode of bleeding that lasted 9 months last year, then 5 month with nothing. I've now recently started again and it's been going for 2 month. Doc given me northisterone to give me a break but no doubt it be back once I stop. Awful, not always heavy but some days I can't leave the house 😕x
    • Posted

Wow, that's a long time.  In Sept 13 I had one that lasted 53 days then I started having periods that were every 3 weeks but only lasting a week.  Then in May this year my period was 2 weeks late, since then I have been bleeding for about 3 or 4 weeks at a time with a break of 1 to 2 weeks in between.  My gp doesn't seem too concerned, but it is worrying me a little.
  • Posted

I am peri and have also been anaemic on and off over the past year.  I was only on iron tablets for a month before my iron levels were normal again, but then I have a very long period and it goes back down again.  I wouldn't worry, I think it is all part of the peri journey.
  • Posted

I have had terrrible health anxiety with the meno so I understand what you are going through!  I had an unexplained blled after12 months of nothing so I needed a internal scan. I was beside myself with worry!!! However, all was well and nothing found!!  I also thought I was having a heart attack, bowel cancer, in fact every kind of cancer!!!  Being aneamic is normal at this time and I am pretty sure that is all it will be.  Good you are getting things checked though.  Take care.XX
  • Posted

Thank you ladies. Really helps to hear all your views. Xx
  • Posted

You've probably been anemic (or becoming anemic) far longer than the blood tests have indicated.  Plus, it can come and go so maybe when you've had other tests done it's been okay or on the low end.  I became anemic several years ago but felt bad for FAR longer than what the bloodwork says. Then one day, I took all of my lab reports that I had from my 30s into my 40s and I compared the hematocrit counts.  In my 30s, my levels were top-notch soild good numbers.  As the years went by, it slowly decreased, all while being in the normal range.  Then finally it dipped down below normal and that's when my dermatologist, of all people, caught it when he was testing me for lupus.  The iron made me feel better, quickly.  

One thing doctors don't routinely test for that can give you a heads up to this long before you actually become anemic is your "FERRITIN" level.  Ferritin is the amount of iron that your body has stored, and it is a much better predictor of how well your iron status is than some of the other tests.  It will show shortages before you become anemic.  A good ferritin number for a menstruating female is about 50 (althought the normal range is lower).  Mine was about 5 and then I wasn't anemic at that point.  Once that depletes, you go anemic.  My friend, who is 50 and having a period every 3 weeks has not yet hit anemia but she has no ferritin.  Iron supplements are quickly resolving that.  

I certainly understand the health anxiety.  I am having it about my hot flashes.  But anemia is normal in perimenopause.  My mom told me she spent all of her 40s and early 50s being anemic. and it will make you feel awful.  I felt FAR worse with mine than I ever did with my thyroid levels being off. It also made me have a lot of panic/anxiety feelings.

• Posted

Thank you chris I have to admit im feeling very poorly today. Lightheaded shakey and so tired. I only startd iron yesterday so hopefully I should start to feel better soon.

Thanks again x

• Posted

I know the feeling.  When I had anemia, all I could do is get up in the morning do a few things around the house and then I was done for the day.  I had no drive to do anything and I was so tired all the time, but couldn't really sleep.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle, I was very aneamic last autumn and put on iron tablets by my GP. The weird thing was my periods had become less frequent and heavy, so she also sent me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy, which I had just after Christmas, so I was panicking like mad about that - basically its to check if you have anything which looks like bowel or stomach cancer.

The tests were all negative.  I had panicked so much I really couldnt cope at all with Christmas and hid upstairs most of the time - all for nothing. 

My stomach also really couldnt tolerate the iron tablets, and gave me awful IBS, which I am prone to anyway.  I have finallly managed to tolerate taking just one a day, instead of the three I was diagnosed - ferrous fumarate, and my iron levels are getting better.  Maybe you werent tested for anaemia before when your periods were heavy.  I think sometimes doctors just think - Oh right - better do this test now, after not doing it for ages.  I dont know, just a theory.

I have also just come through a phase which lasted about 4 months of apalling anxiety which really crippled me, and I could barely leave the house - still am quite agrophobic. Its eased off now - I am so grateful - I'm not totally sure why - but I do find that distracting myself with getting really interested in a particular subject and reading alot helped.   I was also on HRT, which I decided to come off recently, and feel better for it.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. I could have written your post myself. I sympathise with you I really do.

Ive spent the whole day so exhausted. Ive been prescribed the same iron pills as you but two a day but like you have stomach issues so only taking one. Im hoping they will kick in soon.

God bless x

• Posted

Thanks Michelle. Yes I feel tired alot.  I always feel I should be excercising - but I feel exposed if I go out for walks, and we have a running machine which my husband and son use regularly, and they actually persuaded me to have a go on it tonight, and I do feel a bit better for it, although I kept being worried about falling over for some weird reason. I'll try to do a bit every day. Got to make some effort!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.