Peri but regular periods?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi there. I've already posted about going mad and today I'm having a massive anxiety/panic attack.

So trying to put things into perspective. I'm 48 and for a few months have been having sweating episodes. Anxiety and panic attacks for a few months longer than that. 

The sweating is random, but does occur more when it's warm outside and when I'm eating or drinking. I have the odd night sweat, but not horrendously. 

I'm terrified it's some rare cancer and not peri as my periods still come. Though they are more frequent and shorter. I've even paid for a private urine test to check for the thing I fear, though now the thought of handing that over for testing has me sick with worry.

It's so hard to deduce what's a peri symptom and what's not. My gp has ordered bloods to check hormone levels but I've heard they are unreliable at this point. I wish I'd skipped a period, then at least I'd have a clue. Anyone out there with similar experiences before I completely lose the plot? Xxx

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am going through peri and have been for about five years now. I started when I was 35. I didn't know that the  things that I was experiencing was peri, I just thought my PMS symptoms had gotten worse with age after having the kids. But after finding this forum I realized that I am in peri. Believe me I battle with those thoughts that I have some terrible illness too. But that fear and those thoughts are also associated with the change. It's called "thoughts of dread and impending doom."

Try not to torture yourself by thinking like that. I know it's easier said than done but we are all here for you. I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Stella - welcome to my world!  LOL.  I am 50 and everyone experiences different symptoms.  Way before my peri started I had bad panic attacks/agoraphobia which robbed me of a life for nearly 10 years.  Got over that in 2008.  Peri started about 3 years ago and it's now developing into meno.  I had regular periods up until about a year ago, and now it disappears for 3 months, comes back for 3 weeks, etc.  In the last few months I have started feeling panicky again, which is scary.  I don't want to go back to that "life" again.  But I know it's part of peri/menopause.  I am a scardy cat when it comes to doctors, results, etc, and I have other symptoms which, in my panic mode, also fear are related to cancer, heart, etc.  But these are normal thoughts when one has panic attacks.  I've learned a lot of coping mechanisms over the years - breathing, meditation, keeping busy, focussing on something else, counting, etc.  It soon passes.  Sweating is perfectly normal too.  I have it a lot.  I've always got wet wipes in my bag and bottles of water in my car.  The heat aggravates it too.  Sorry if I wasn't much help, but know that you are not alone.  Am here if you have more questions. xxxxx
    • Posted

Thanks Jeno that is truly a great help !
    • Posted

Hey Jen, thanks for your reply. Did you have the sweating even with normal periods? Looking back my panics started when I turned 44. 

The sweats have been noticeable since May. I'll be glad to welcome myself to the peri club, unfortunately cos I've convinced myself ( yet again, grrr!) that it's the end I'm going to have to get my act together and do this test. Wish I hadn't flipping ordered it now. Just been on Amazon and bought the sticks so hopefully some answers there. Xxx

• Posted

Hi well all i can say is i can sympathise with you.  I get sweats and am sure it shows but no one says anything,  my feet smell i get headaches and hop one down i can stop fretting that  iw iwll never get better.,  all my sisters are not much help so i get more help on here.

HTH

• Posted

Hi Stella, just wondering have things got better? This peri is awful. Has anybody recovered?
    • Posted

Hi Deirdre, unfortunately not. I took up running which helped mentally but I'm feeling more and more bloated. Massive sweats each month and still regular periods. It's completely rubbish. I also have burning mouth and awful burning stomach each month. Can't wait to see when this ends 🙁 X

• Posted

Oh no Stella...... its awful. Have you tried anything for the ansiety etc....birth control or anything. Its hell on earth. Dont knoe how you manage running.... I can barely manage walking and working.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.