Peri menopause and fatigue

Posted , 40 users are following.

I'm presuming all the symptoms I get are peri menopause, like so many all my bloods, tests etc come back normal. It is soooooooo frustrating, I've changed my diet , had advice on supplements from a nutrition consultant (been taking for nearly 4 weeks), I'm hoping this will help a little soon but the fatigue is killing me, I walk upstairs and have to sit down to recover!!!!! 

Everything is an effort, I can't do anything, it's ridiculous. Has anyone conquered the tiredness? Most days I feel like I'm slightly drunk or have a hangover and I haven't had a drink since Xmas, ha!!!!! any advice to get through this misery would be greatfully received. Thanks x

7 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hello caroline, i know how you feel exactly, I have just been ironing which i usually do with ease but today i stopped twice and had to sit down and nearly fell asleep.  i to can't beleive how tired i get.  I sit at a desk all day in my job but i'm shattered when i get home.  I don't know where my energys gone and thats exactly how i discribe myself i feel tipsy yet i've not drunk for 2 yrs. So sorry i'm no help cos i'm trying to figure it all out myself but just wanted you to know your not alone. sending you a comforting hug x
    • Posted

Thanks, I don't wish it on anyone and I have days when I can't stand it, but it has really helped to read about others going through the same thing, I thought I was going mad, I can't believe that more isn't done when there are so many women suffering x
  • Posted

Hi Caroline,

Did your nutritionist advise you to try B vitamins? I know B50 gives me bags of energy. If not perhaps you should get your doctor to check your iron levels; you've probably already looked at these but you never know.

• Posted

Hi Caroline

i was juat the same, in ninth year of this peri, age 49 ... Vit B6 helped me alot a must for peri ladies... i have a strong one of 300mg ... Jay x

• Posted

I do take b6 , 62mg daily, it's in the supplements I was advised to take. Gosh 300mg is a lot ! Maybe I should take more x
    • Posted

Just checked the H & B Busy B vits and only 100mg of B6 and 600 nano?grams of B12. Perhaps stronger would be better?
    • Posted

I am 42 and two years ago had a hysterectomy but was to keep both ovaries. My right ovary flipped cutting off my blood supply. They went back in and removed that ovary but left the left ovary. Hormone tests keep coming back normal but I know I am perimenopause. I take a b50 complex vitamin. The b6 and b12 50 mg. Do you think I should take extra b6? I also gained weight even though I exercise three to four times a week! I suffer with depression and anxiety. I take Ativan for anxiety. What are your thoughts? I saw you are an ex nurse and thought I would see what you think I should ask my doctor for or just do on my own. I want all natural if I can find things that will help me!
  • Posted

Hi Caroline- yes fatigure here to - age 46 post TAH BSO and been coping with fatigue for 2 years plus. Just come off citalopram- hoping that will help big time. Been on 2mg HRT for 2 years and daily cocktail of menopace multivits, Busy B B vitamins, Magnesium and Omego Oils. What supplements were you recommended to take? Any not on my list?
    • Posted

I take flax seed oil caps, nutri calm and skeletal strength . Oh and a probiotic. They are natures sunshine products.
    • Posted

Hi Caroline

Thanks - that looks interesting and not seen that combo before. I've googled a few pages but can't see quantity of ingredients anywhere to compare with Menopace which has lots of similar ingredients. I tried a separate Calcium supplement once but it just made me drool! I tried to talk to GP about supplements and she just said they don't offer anything a good balanced diet and exercise can't  give you.  Typical response from someone not suffering from peri or meno.

• Posted

Hi, Not sure if you'll actually get this as the thread is rather old but here goes anyway..... I'm interested in your mention of Citalopram.  My therapist has suggested I see my GP and perhaps go on a low dose to counteract depression and bad anxiety symptoms linked to both menopause but also my mother dying 5 months ago and me struggling to come to terms with her Alzheimers retrospectively.  One of the symptoms I've had- apart form anxiety and panic and very low mood and almost murderous irritability is severe fatigue.   I've read the recomendations re Vit B supplements and am now taking those.   But were you implying that you found the Citalopram increased your fatigue?

I'd be most grateful for your thoughts - Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Caroline78045, I battle the fatigue with DHEA. I get it at the health food store. I only take 25mg. Some women Estroven works too but for my friend and I the DHEA has been a godsend. All the best. confused
    • Posted

Hi Caroline yeah the vit B 6 was from farmacia i live in spain, and you need a good strength ... i took half for a month then the whole 300mg, daily,  i too take Estroven Max, and Vit B1, Bit B 12 injection, Maca, iron every other day, Natecal ( Calcium & Vit D ) a must for our bones.. 

i cant take HRT and have managed for almost 9 years on these, the Vit B6 is a new addition which my doc in uk first gave me 8 years ago but never explained the importance then of B6 and peri, but I take now and my fog has gone and the anxiety, ( last period was Aug 13) but for the last three weeks or so i am having hot flushes every day about six a day this is a new thing but maybe because no period for 9 months ... dont know yet, but muster on, and use the rowing machine again now too... overall not to bad ... had it bad in past but not bad now.... 😊 jay xx

• Posted

Oh and I did just start on the B6 too... I took Jay's advice. Also just picked up a row machine yesterday for an alternative exercise. I don't have to stand up to workout now. 
    • Posted

Yes off to the gym as well next week- can't say I'm no trying.
    • Posted

Hi Eva

so pleased Eva, the rower is a lovely exercise method and full body, pop on a CD and do it at your own pace...  nice one..

hope the B6 helps you too, its helped me, and I have lost weight, they say its good for peri weight if you get it... as well as other things..

if I can find my web info again i will copy and paste it on here for the other ladies ...

Jay .. xx

• Posted

heres some of the info for other ladies if interested..

During menopause, mood swings are inevitable with estrogen fluctuations as the body ends its reproductive years. Vitamin B6 may be one answer to alleviating increased agitation, depression and anger. B vitamins are responsible for mood stabilization by controlling hormone production in the brain and regulating hormone levels. B6 declines as menopause sets in and mood swings become evident. Increasing this vitamin may give women the added boost they need to enjoy the golden years with a better mindset.

Symptoms

Upon entering menopause women may experience unexpected emotional changes. Emotions often change within a matter of minutes causing extreme sadness or anger with no real explanation. These mood swings, specifically depression, may be a result of high estrogen levels due to hormone replacement therapy or spikes in estrogen during perimenopause, Susan M. Lark, M.D., director of the PMS and Menopause Self-Help Center in Los Altos, California, told MotherNature dot com. Since all women produce differing amounts of estrogen via the ovaries, mood swings affect each individual differently. Some women experience minor mood swings or none at all, while others may experience severe problems with mood.

Treatment

Vitamin B6 plays several roles in the body. It is essential for red blood cell development and keeping the immune system at peak performance. It is also needed to help keep hormone production, such as with serotonin, in the brain stabilized. When the body lacks B6, mood suffers as proper chemical production declines. During perimenopause, stress and depression cause the body to lose this needed vitamin. This can make a woman in her menopausal state feel exhausted and irritable, according to Lark. Another factor in the decline of B6 in the body can be attributed to the rise of estrogen during perimenopausal spikes or hormone replacement therapies. This goes hand in hand with the aforementioned estrogen increase causing depression.

B6 (pyridoxine) is a natural diuretic which is effective in reducing water retention. It is useful to reduce bloating that can appear before your period. It helps prevent depression and promotes calm moods and restful sleep. It also interacts with estrogen in the body. This vitamin is found in most foods and a deficiency is fairly rare, however hormone therapy can deplete the body's levels of B6 and decreased levels can lead to depression.

Everyone needs B-vitamins for good health. Without them we can suffer from a variety of serious ailments.

For a woman going through perimenopause, B-vitamins can be essential for effectively managing symptoms.   

Adrenal fatigue, for example, is a common secondary condition for many women going through perimenopause. B-vitamins support healthy adrenal function, along with calming and maintaining a healthy nervous system. Many women also suffer with mood swings during perimenopause. Both B12 and B6 vitamins aid in the production of neurotransmitters such as serotonin, a key brain chemical needed to stabilize moods and promote feelings of wellness and contentment.

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

Supplementation

Supplementing with vitamin B6 is also a good option during menopause and can provide more rapid relief than diet alone. To avoid an imbalance that can result when one vitamin becomes deficient, use a supplement that contains a full complement of all members of the B-complex family.

Doses of 50 to 100 milligrams per day help promote general health and wellness. However, during the stress of menopause, your requirements for B6 may increase to as much as 300 milligrams per day, says Lieberman.

may help some ladies ... helped me alot... 😃 Jay xx 

• Posted

After 2 years of peri weight, I'm finally losing it. Ahhhhhhh... seriously, light at the end of the tunnel. I hope the B6 expedites this process. smile Thanks so much! 
    • Posted

eva

it should do look..

For women who suffer with brain fog, and memory issues in perimenopause, low levels of B6 could be part of the problem. Depression, confusion, and an inability to concentrate are all associated with B6 deficiency. Vertigo, dizziness, and heart palpitations are also common complaints from women going through perimenopause. All of these symptoms have been associated with (among other things) a B12 deficiency. Vitamin B6 can also help with stubborn weight gain in perimenopause. It is key in the breakdown and utilization of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in our diet, and is necessary for a healthy metabolism - both which can help manage weight.

did post more i fo but its being checked for some reason, have to see if it comes on later 

Jay..

• Posted

heres abit more info incase my other is not put on..

this is what i was given 300mg... B6 ....

see below...

Supplementing with vitamin B6 is also a good option during menopause and can provide more rapid relief than diet alone. To avoid an imbalance that can result when one vitamin becomes deficient, use a supplement that contains a full complement of all members of the B-complex family. Doses of 50 to 100 milligrams per day help promote general health and wellness. However, during the stress of menopause,

your requirements for B6 may increase to as much as 300 milligrams per day, says Lieberman.

Jayx

• Posted

oh yes ladies.. forgot to say..

if you struggle getting the right vits in the high street, i use Biovea UK website ( i live in spain) but still use biovea uk web for Maca, and other stuff they do Vit B 6 as well and the melatonin 10mg for the sleepless nights... good site ...

Jay x 

• Posted

Hiya Jay, 

i have tried a tablet called Menapol from simply supplements and reviews for hot flushes are really good! Take a long with your other supplements and you should notice a difference fairly quickly!

Glad that you are feeling better, it's such a shame we don't get given any advance warning on what this time of our life could bring even though we are all different. When I first started feeling the anxiety I felt so full of doom and gloom and it really freaked me out, but I believe now trying to understand things better has certainly helped and reading these forums has helped me deal with these situations.

take care and I really enjoy your advise you pass on to us all!! Keep it coming! Joy xxxrazz

• Posted

Hi Snatchpiece Joy 😃

how are you, thanks for the Menapol tip, i may just try these, i see amazon have them aswell, i use the estroven max, have for years, so maybe i need to change to something else, maybe had them too long the estroven, and they not working as good now for me...

Joy lately i feel amazing, and was really bad a few months ago, approaching year nine of peri, and will be 50 next month...

i had the anxiety and the energy issues, but since the iron every other day and the 300mg strong B6 daily theres no stopping me, 😀 no period since Aug 13, was having a few days a month of feeling terrible and tearful but thats gone too, swear blind its the B6 300mg thats eleviated all that... says it does... and it has for me...

anyway as i am about to run out of estroven soon, i will give the menapol high strength a whirl, maybe they will sort these new daily hot flushes i now have, they are strange as i stopped having them ages ago... maybe i am finally entering the final menopause stage now and its a new hot flush symptom... 

thanks for the info... Jay xx

• Posted

Hi again Joy

just ordered the Menapol plus, wow didnt realise you got two jars for price of one ... thats even better... just got the two jars of 60 tabs to start .. thats four months supply and only 11.89 wow, so much cheaper than estroven.. 

i got off amazon uk but the supplier is still simply supplements... thats great thanks so much, i think the Estroven max i normally use has maybe run its course been on it for so long, its only these new hot flushes i now get in day that makes me think my body got use to estroven now... so will look forward to trying these next, still have a few estroven to use up yet though..

thanks again Jay xxx 

• Posted

hi jay. hope your ok.  I've just looked at the muti vitamin i take and theres 10mg of B12 and 10mg of B6. Is this sufficiant or should i be taking more and is it safe ??

thanks jay your our own personal medical adviser on here x

• Posted

Hi anxious face..

its hard to comment for others, but... multivitamin like you express is just that, it doesnt focus specifically on the B6 and maybe B12 we need...

if you saw the info i retrieved and posted ( as in my case) B6 can be 100mg to 300mg for us peri ladies ... i started with Benadon 300mg first month i halved them and took 150mg daily, now i take the full 300mg daily and for me they work wonders... no aches and pains, no brain fog and no anxiety WOW .... never thought it would happen...

Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay, I take one tablet in the morning and one before I go to bed and like you I take the busy B vitamins a long with Starflower tablets.  I started my HRT low dosage and now have started my 3rd packet and so far a long with the above I have felt really good again. I understand you say that you can't take them because of cancer in your family and respect this, but my GP has advised me that with constant checks ie with Mamograms and blood pressure checks etc this may hopefully balance my hormones out so that hopefully I will not suffer as much with these blips. With this one you get a small bleed each month (nothing too major though but it is still early days). My anxiety last year was so bad that it effected me for approx 2 weeks at a time prior to a late period or missed one. Wouldn't go out and could not even go to work for this time, had no appetite,totally lost my mojo! I used to go for acupuncture and reflexology and reiki which all helped to keep things at bay. I was told that as I had never been ill and then started feeling very out of source this could have been the reason for of the doom & gloom feelings! I feel a lot more positive about my future and know that only I can make a difference, but in the beginning I just wanted someone to support me and not try and make me feel like sort of friuitcake like my own Mum made me feel! I am so grateful for this forum and have truly learnt so much!  Takecare Jay and so glad that have been feeling loads better too! Xxx Joy xxxlol
    • Posted

Hi Snatchpiece, and you, glad your improving, your busy b vits will not have too much B6 I think Anxious face said it is a very small amount in the vit mixes, also Vit B6 assists absortion of HRT did you know..

its the iron very other day and the 300mg of daily B6 thats lifted me, i so must if lacked it... feel tonnes better.... my B vits are taken individually, all stronger from farmacia ( Doctors prescribe the medical grade too) 

I have Benadon 300mg Vit B6, Benerva 300mg Vit B1 ( B1 is food for us and it stops mozzys biting me B1 Thiamine Mozzys hate it) also I have optovite B12 injections... thats all the Bs I take, research suggests the B6 ( a must) and B12 are the best for peri. I take Maca daily have for 8 years, Estroven which i am changing to Menapol plus 😃 ( been on estroven for years think thats why hot flushes are coming back, think i have got use to it) its only the flushes that have returned that have put a spanner in the works, B6 has made me feel great and got my mojo back and lost some weight as its good for peri weight, ( i wasnt over weight either) so all good.. 😀 jay xx

• Posted

Hi Jay,

Below are whats included in the Busy B tablets that I curently are taking and I know a doctor suggested that the min should be 100mg for B6 and B12 and nothing less!

I have been taking these daily since last Feb 13 and not too sure how long they recomend us to continue taking them? I guess it cant do any harm. Like you I am always willing to listen and learn from others as we all have the same goal at the end of the day in wanting to feel like our old selves once again and start to enjoy life without these extra concerns and worries.

I think there should be some sort of complete health check made available to females and I mean complete one like scans etc to make sure we are all healthy when we reach a this time of our lives, like the Mamograms and smears.  This I am sure would put of our minds at rest to know if there any eliments or what seems most of us are experiencing is normal and expected at this time of time, but it doesnt stop us from worrying does it. Any way I may even up my dose that I am currently taking to 2 tablets every other day and see how I feel. Anyway Jay take care and I am so glad that you are finally seeing light at the end of this very long tunnel!! Joy xxxx

Nutritional Information

Product Information

Each caplet contains: %EC RDA*

Vitamin C 500mg 625%

Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 100mg 9,091%

Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 100mg 7,143%

Niacin 100mg NE 625%

Pantothenic Acid 100mg 1,667%

Vitamin B6 100mg 7,143%

Vitamin B12 500µg 20,000%

Folic Acid 400µg 200%

Biotin 50µg 100%

Choline Bitartrate 50mg **

Citrus Bioflavonoids 50mg **

Inositol 50mg **

PABA 50mg **

*RDA= Recommended Daily Allowance **No RDA established

• Posted

Hi Joy

wow thats interesting, the B6 looks quite good in the busy  B's, i know some b complex mixes have as little as 10mg b6 in some, so best to check before you buy...

i have just been given folic acid ... for my hot flushes 😀 i see thats in your busy b's mind you folic acid is a vit B isnt it... 

so we shall see if that helps mine... 

you say you take two every other day ? why not take one daily and keep the balance daily, so its always in your system, big gaps between will make it harder to work, has to reload all the time... ( sorry i am an ex nurse 😯) 

hahahaha true though....

you take care and always nice talking Jay x

• Posted

Hiya Jay,

i think I confused you as I have been taking these busy B tablets since Feb 13 but since you were saying about 300 mg I was saying perhaps I should take 2 one day and then 1 the next day then back taking 2 and so on! Do you recon taking 2 aday would be ok then?

i find all of these post so interesting beats face book any day as there is so much interesting facts being past around! Sleep well! Xxx

• Posted

Hi 

Ummmm wouldnt like to say as its a mix of many .. I dont take all this as one tablet u see, i have a pill splitter cutter so i split mine at first ,,, what does the bottle say one a day ? 

I take as seperate tablets as i get alot of things additionally in the estroven max too. Think if i was gonna increase the busy b personally i wud buy a pill cutter and take 1.5 daily but its personal choice ... Sleep well too, i am in bed 😀 hour ahead in spain 😊

Nite hun Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay,

Hope your still feel great with your additional dose of VIT B6!

Just wanted to ask you if you have ever had a bad taste in your mouth like a metallic taste?  I have started with this a few days ago and even though I am on my 12 day off (3rd month)of my HRT and to be honest have felt a little out of source since I had a bleed last week.

Just another worry which I started to have! Dont know if this can be down to any in balance of the hormones and Peri? Hugs to you sweets xxxrolleyes

• Posted

Hi Snatchpiece..

now your freaking me out, as only last night I had metallic taste.. i even checked my teeth hahahahahaha made sure they were all okay.. I do get that yes... 

yeah I am fine, still feel fab.... 

sorry your having a bleed, I suppose the HRT will mess you up abit hormonally and that can happen... 

Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay, this particular HRT are meant to give you a bleed every month but last month didn't really get any PMT at all and felt the best I have in a long while, but this cycle has bought me back with my worrying head on again not as bad as before. Don't like it though as I thought the HRT was going to be a miracle cure to my anxiety. The GP has told me it is still early days as my hormones are still being produced and you never know when these blips could happen until they have a proper chance to get into your system. I have upped my B vits to 200-300 mg to see if this will help with the balancing of these blinking hormones! The metallic taste I have had since Monday and I can't help but worry that something terrible is wrong! I am hoping that it has something to do with perhaps low  hormones because of the way I am feeling. Has yours been connected to your hormone in balance? Sorry to trouble you again but really appreciate your posts and your continued advice, Thanks once again, Joy xxx 
    • Posted

Hi snatchpiece i'v had that metallic taste which i though was my filling leaking or something but it only lasted about  2 or 3 weeks then it was gone and i'm not on HRT so i shouldn't worry about it im sure it will pass.  lots of hugs x
    • Posted

Hi anxiousface..

how are you sweetie 😀

that metallic taste comes and goes with me, it doesnt worry me, I have no one to snog on a daily basis 😃 and I read its a common peri thing..

my teeth are fine even though I had a look 😬

take care Jay xxx

• Posted

Hi Anxiousface, thanks for your reply over the metallic taste and I was hoping  it was hormonal related. I do suffer with my sinuses and had reflexology on Monday which said I was very congested which was in my ears as well. Dr has prescribed a spray to help clear my sinuses but I forgot to mention about the metallic taste so have been getting myself in a state over another silly worry. Once my hormones get back in balance I know I won't give it another thought! Joy xxx
    • Posted

Hi Snatchpiece Joy..

yes this metallic thing I read its part of peri, mine comes and goes, and sometimes seems stronger than other times... 

you say you upped your B vits, do you mean the Busy Bs ...

maybe you should think about increasing just the B6 ... thats the one we lack, it also assists absortion of HRT.. hope it all kicks in soon ..

I cant do the HRT route, and dont to, as I want to do it natural and let my body do what it wants, I dont want to confuse it by using hormones when they naturally want to sort them selves out.. B6 has changed me its fab, I take iron every two days, and B1 to keep the mozzys off me, Natecal ( vit D 3 and Calcium mix) for my bones, Estroven Max, but changing to another soon when finished those.. I still get some hot flushes lately in day, its a new thing its returned, Its not too bad, but its the only thing that i get right now..

so going to try another natural tab soon as I may of been on Estroven too long now been on it years and its maybe run its course...

i also take maca, use Replens MD vaginal moisturiser, thats good..

and B12 for energy... 😃  its never a trouble answering a question, ask me anything I really dont mind, been in peri almost 9 years so experienced and tried alot of things 😀 take care Joy.. Jay xx

• Posted

Thanks Jay,  I still only have one Busy B tablet in the morning and later on in the day I take one B6 tablet which is 100mg only. I am going to give the HRT 6 months and if things don't improve then I will go back to the natural route.

have your Menapol plus tablets arrived? I still take those daily and do seem to help.Thanks Hun for your reassurance regarding metallic taste, don't know why I started worrying about, I guess it's just another thing we can experience during these rocky waters! Sleep well. Joy xxxxcool

• Posted

Hi Snatchpiece..

how are you today.... my Menapol Plus has arrived at my partners UK work address, but hes not back until 19 June so he is bringing them back for me, I still have some Estroven Max to get through first 😃 

good idea taking busy b in morning and B6 in evening... 😃

i am cream crackered... 😃 being on my own nearly all the time I have to do all the Man Jobs, just spent one hour vacuuming pool, good god, I nearly went in head first trying to pull the suction vacuum hose out the side at the deep end.. i was just thinking... my lord, if i fell in had a funny spell no one would know 😳... anyway, job done... my day flushes, i cant tell if I am having one or not its so hot here, but beautiful 😀 think I am still having some..

feel okay though... if I go two more months it will be a year since last period, but i know they can still creep in and catch us out.. we will see..

i have noticed changes in my upper arms... look abit like waffles hhehehehehe 

annoying as they always been nice 😳 have a good weekend .. Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay, this is my 2nd attemp in replying to you, first time it must have got deleted!! 

Anyway hopefully better luck this time round. Glad your Menopol plus has arrived. Got my friend to try them as she has trouble with the hot flushes and she has told me that even after 4 days they have greatly reduced. Let me know how you get on. I also found them helpful for my anxiety.

I am feeling loads better today thanks, even woke up feeling brighter where as in the week it took me a few hours to get going! Still have a slight metallic taste but now knowing this is another symptom of peri I have stopped fretting! 

I have jotted my experience down this time so that if I feel like this again I will know what I did to help ease these feelings. My sinuses have played up which made me feel nausea again this week, and also my digestive symptom plays up which I quite often loose my appetite and generally feel sluggish.

As mentioned I take my Busy B tablets in the morning a long with my Menopol plus tablet and then at lunch time I take my Vit B6 tablet and then in the evening (about one hour before bed) take my HRT tablet a long with my 2nd Menopol plus tablet, fingers cross this will continue to improve.

i also have acupuncture and reflexology which I find helps in more ways than one. Both are really relaxing and both will often help with my digestive symptom or sinuses and if my hormones are off balance then they can help to balance them back out, and also good for energy levels. 

Wow Jay you sound like you have been a "BUSY B" those vitamins are certainly working for you ha! Ha! At least you can enjoy a lovely swim once you had cleaned it out and a great way to cool down in the Spanish heat! 

You must really miss not having your partner around and can't be much fun for you when you have suffered with your anxiety blips and no shoulder to cry onto! Massive hugs to you sweetie!! 

Jay do you realise that you are our "Menopause help line" as you have passed on such fantastic advise to all us ladies going through this dreadful Peri. I must say for me this forum has been a life saver and it has helped me know end to understand what we are going through and the things which are quite common and not us all thinking we are going crazy. I never knew that the feeling of doom and gloom was so common where as last year a close friend just said to me that she wish she could have a melt down like me!! With that being said to me I truly thought  I was going crazy but thankfully not as I found this very informative forum. Thank you all you lovely ladies for sharing your experience and for us all to gain so much comfort! Have a lovely weekend! Joy xxx

• Posted

Hi Snatchpiece ... Joy

ar you are so nice, please come and live next door 😃. ...

hahaha I am always busy... never stop, mind you I did have two hours in sun, last night I even went out and had a lovely time, I dont drink so it wasnt a heavy night ... hahahaha

i too had and still get digestive problems, sometimes constipated, and then the opposite, but thats peri and I just live with that, good job I can run fast hahahaha.. (joke) as for sinus, I had the thing where the nose suddenly streams, and found when I was anxious it was worse..

but the anxiety is no more now..

yeah its abit quiet with partner working over seas, and here there and everywhere, but I just crack on.. 

appetite you mention, ummm thats something i havent really mentioned..

hahahaha sit down...

mine varies, and I try and eat little and often, although sometimes cant be bothered on my own, but know i have too..

i do still crave chocolate, and have a bar of something everyday, luckily i am 5 ft 6 and weight 9.1 so its okay ... i was 9.7 but after this B6 its just come off me, but that was the bit I put on during peri so i am delighted..

laughing here, ' menopause helpline' hahahahaha

i like to help if i can, I had it long enough, so experienced alot of it, my mother is now 83 and she cant remember she only took two years from start to finish i do know that, all done by 44 she was... but me 9 years... great..

i look at it like this... its a difficult time, but a natural time, and I am just grateful I am healthy in other ways, as there are many more things that people deal with that are illness not menopause, so for that I am grateful as you never know what the future holds for any of us.. so we have to get on with it best we can, even thougj sometimes we feel dreadful...

it does get better with the right supplements... its all trial and error..

think i may of cracked it with mine now.. 😃

have a lovely weekend... Jay xx

• Posted

Hiya Jay,

I agree with you about being trial and error, as Feb last year I thought something sinister was happening to me as this very frightening anxiety just came from no where but I have been determined ever since not to let it beat me. I knew that these blips only occured when my cycle was out of sinc or missed one so slowly but surely I do try to understand that there isn't anything horrible happening except the Peri. I have learnt so much and feel I can pass on my own findings to others in hoping that their symptoms are eased! I am not afraid of talking about Peri or that I am going through it as it helps me to know that it will get better over time and it's only a transition through life. Yes you are right it's not an illness but understanding more about it truly does help you to get through it. 

Hopefully very soon you will be 12 months without a period so I am guessing your hormones must be getting more balance especially with the increase dosage of B6, bet you can't wait! 

You say about eating, now most of the time I really enjoy my food and can tell when I am getting low because it does effect my appetite, but I have learnt to then eat something plain and a smaller portion, this feeling only last a few days and slowly but surely my appetite gets better as my moods get brighter. My first anxiety blip lasted two weeks without wanting contact with anyone, had no motivation, loss of appetite, nausea,feeling doom and gloom, couldn't sleep and didn't even go to work! Now a year on and the learning and understanding more about my symptoms I feel now I can get through this transition. When I get the good days I feel so happy, content and thankful for my good health and like you feel blessed as there are other people who have a serious illness. My general nature is being happy and upbeat, always look on the positive side of life so I guess last year when this all started this was all alien to me but I am really determined to get the old Joy back sooner rather later. It's so good to talk and share our experiences! Thanks once again Jay for always being there! Like you I hope I can soon crack mine and get my normal or even better life back!! Enjoy your lovely Spanish sunshine and send some our way as the UK haven't really started our summer, still very unsettled -( must be hormonal I guess!! Ha! Ha!) Joy xxxlol

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay,

How long did it take for your B6 to kick in.  I read that you took 150mg for a month than went up to 300mg.  Are you still on the high strength.  How long did it take for the brain fog and anxiety to lift.? Do you think the further you have got away from your last period that things have settled emotionally for you. 

I am in a dip of anxiety/depression at the moment (35days)  This is the longest it has ever lasted.  My last period was 3 months ago and previously they have been about 3 months apart.  I'm just wondering if i'm going through this longer dip because things have decided to shut up shop inside and the body is in a bit of shock.  It's so hatd to know what to do. I have so any scenarios running around in my head that it's consuming me in a big way.  I'm scared that this is going to be me forever.  The physical symptoms of anxiety are just so sickening.   I just pray my daughter never has to go through this horrible journey.

I enjoy reading  your posts because it gives me a little bit of hope that things do improve.

Take care and I pray you have more magical days ahead.

Raelene  xxxx

• Posted

Hi hun

I was first given B6 from my doctor in early peri, but back then the benefits were not explained so i never bothered with it like i should of done.

After lots / years of research and having my peri anxiety i looked into B6 again, discovered peri and post meno ladies lack it and B12 ..

And may need 100mg to 300mg B6 depending on severity of symptoms.

I live in southern spain my farmacia only has strength of 300mg, ( Benadon by Bayer) i split them, 150mg works fine for me personally, i felt benefits in two weeks, anxiety got worse for me ( severe) when periods declined to 3 a year or less and near end of peri, now i feel alot better but still have blip times.

You never feel like you did but it gets better with correct vits, diet etc

Jay x

• Posted

I took the full 300mg for a month , then reduced as for me 150mg was fine.

I felt no different on 300mg to 150mg so just take 150mg now.

Been on it many months now, I also take Vit B1 150mg and have B12 injections.

I Always take B6 in the morning

So it works for day time not sleep time.

Jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.