Peri menopause and fatigue

Posted , 40 users are following.

I'm presuming all the symptoms I get are peri menopause, like so many all my bloods, tests etc come back normal. It is soooooooo frustrating, I've changed my diet , had advice on supplements from a nutrition consultant (been taking for nearly 4 weeks), I'm hoping this will help a little soon but the fatigue is killing me, I walk upstairs and have to sit down to recover!!!!! 

Everything is an effort, I can't do anything, it's ridiculous. Has anyone conquered the tiredness? Most days I feel like I'm slightly drunk or have a hangover and I haven't had a drink since Xmas, ha!!!!! any advice to get through this misery would be greatfully received. Thanks x

7 likes, 76 replies

76 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'm going thru the same thing...trying to weigh out my options..extreme fatigue.. Moodiness...short fuse...anxiety...hot flashes.... And major brain fog!!!!!! I am bonkers! Lol I am concerned howerever on hrt (hormone replacement therapy) or ert (estrogen replacement therapy) the risks scare me and I am not sure I want to play russian roulette with possible stroke heart attack or cancer. I also have hypothyroidism so its like a double whammy. I just don't know what to do minus the severe risks of treatment.
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, girl I am going through it real bad, most days I cannot do anything at all, nothing seems to help right now and  on that I am dealing with bad bloating, I look like I am pregnant, swollen and tender breast, I am not having the hot flashes and of course I cannot loose any weight as everything is at a stand still, so know you are not alone, hang in there as I am. Try doing a bit of exercise, it will be hard but try.
  • Posted

I am 46 years old, I am a runner, but right before my period I am so lethargic I mean so lethargic that i can barely keep my eyes open, Forget about running and I also have insomnia a few nights during pms and a night when my period starts.  I am hot all the time and forgetful.  I am peri menopause but this lethargic is  it normal.  sometimes I just have to take a nap and it comes on out of no where
    • Posted

For me, over the past year now almost everything that I do past noon on any given day takes much more effort. I get very fatigued and I find it difficult to stay awake. I do most of my house hold duties in short spurts. At night I am in bed by 8:00pm.When I can sleep through the night I sleep to about 4:00 am. I have been taking B Complex in liquid form and I think it helps a little.I think I just stay perpetually tired.
    • Posted

I just feel so bad when I try to get my run done ( Im in two races this summer) and my fatigue seems to last a few days during pms and I cant run.  I am going to get vitamin B today to see if it helps.  I try to push through my workouts, I usually am in bed by 9 but one week out of the month sometimes more....my eyelids are to heavy and I feel like im such a baby about all this sad

• Posted

Hi Karen i was on my 5th vit b12 jab wen i found out i allergic i was eventually put on evorel 50 patches im on my 1st patch im so tired im 45 i havent had a hysterectomy i had the mirena coil for 15 yrs haven't had a bleed at all im on the pill atm till my appointment comes for the mirena to be put back in im an insomniac so falling asleep this afternoon for an hour is extremely rare im still tired now i have no energy im not sure if im on the right dose or if things will settle

• Posted

Hi I know this is an old thread but I came across this searching for answers as to why I feel like I'm losing my mind. 46 years old EXTREME fatigue, I can be shopping and all of a sudden feel like I need to sit for an hour. Sometimes feel short of breath going up stairs and recently had tachycardia. It's been two months of exhaustion normal iron and thyroid tests and no answers. I don't feel like doctors are taking me seriously but the exhaustion is affecting my life and family. I'm taking vit b6 as well as b12 d and magnesium. I have an appointment with a new doctor tomorrow hoping to find some answers. I'm tired of being tired.

• Posted

Hi Roxanne,

I'm new to this too.  Like you came across this thread trying to find out more about Perimenopause and to make sure I wasn't going 'mad'.

I'm 42 and going through the 'changes' reasonably early.  And now I know more about Peri have worked out with my partner I've probably been going through it so far for 2 years now, with things escalating currently.

I'm totally exhausted!!!  Went downhill around a month ago.  I've been tired for the past two years, but nothing like this.  Feel like I have a permanent flu and yet I don't.

I also have an autoimmune thyroid disease, so trying to differentiate between that and Peri has been a difficult road thus far.

I have got my thyroid antibodies almost under control now, so can say with more certainty that its not my thyroid causing my issues, its my other hormones.

I'm on Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium, just started a B Complex and additional B12 and B6.  Too early to say if they are working.

Was put on HRT (but its not helping as I'm still getting periods so I think with my fluctuations I could be making matters worse) so asking to go on low dose contraceptive pill tomorrow for it to take over the hormones as preferred to adding to what I already have which HRT does.

My anxiety is out of control and I'm usually a 'in control' type of person, so its been very difficult to try and get a handle on, and I must admit I haven't yet.

I will wait and see what low dose pill combined with adding the B6 and B12 does for energy/anxiety and if I don't get a handle on it, might next ask to try and anti-anxiety that helps in peri-menopause.  

There are ones that do...names escape me at present.

I hope you got your answers, this has been an encouraging thread to read though.

You ladies are champions!!!

Justine, Australia.

• Posted

Hi Caroline im on evorel 50 put my first patch on friday it came off overnight i put another one on Saturday i slept for 12 hours, gd for me as im n insomniac and menopause had messed up my sleep pattern yet today i fel asleep for an hour just couldn't stay awake and now im tired again i havent had a hysterectomy so having read ppls comments im not sure if my gp has me on the right hrt im awaiting a appointment to have the mirena coil back in

• Posted

Hi caroline, omg it's such a relief to know I'm not the only one, Iv had these symptoms for 6 months now and thought I was losing my mind, I'm tired beyond belief, I haven't been to see my gp as he's is not very helpful at the best of times, there are no females gp's at our surgery so I feel like what's the point. As much as I don't like the thought of anybody else feeling like this, it's nice to know I'm not alone, my husband is amazing and does his best but I sometimes think he thinks it's all abit put on, my grown up daughters are scared as they look at me and dread what it going to be like for them, my teenage son I like " wow, ". Sorry to blurt all that out at you, hope you conquer the tiredness soon, let me know your secret when you do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.