Peri menopause doctors say no maybe I'm just going mad!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Please help I'm at my wits end! 40 years old and have suffered anxiety since the birth of my second child 12 years ago have been on meds for 11years everything was great until last year then literally all fell apart! Depression, anxiety back with a bang felt like I did after having a baby but much worse! Periods changed from 29 days to between 21 and 24 days now every 3 weeks seems like I'm living the hell the anxiety is its always a week after my period. I'm moody angry anxious nervous loads of tummy problems the list is endless I'm sick of all of this I've changed my diet and cut out refined sugar I'm taking vitamin b's doing Pilates and seeing a mind body and soul therapist yet I still go through the same thing every month. Am I going mad???

1 like, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You are not going mad hun we are alla going through it,i have every symptom of the menopause and anxiety is the worse one,im struggling every day to work and keep going,im physically shattered from morning to night im at my wits end too,5 years I have been like this for fie years now xx
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie it's crap isn't it. I try so hard to stay positive but yet it beats me down. Xx

• Posted

We just have to keep slogging it hum,everyone says we will come out of it the other end,it just better be sooner than later xx
  • Posted

I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that your hormones may not be balanced. I have all the symtoms you have. But I am in menopause now.

If that is your doctor's response to what is going with you, better get another doctor fast. Find one that will really try to work with you, and help you. I had a male gyn doctor who put me on estrogen, and told me I need to see a therapist for my anxiety, and panic attacks.

I no longer go to him anymore. I have a female doctor now, but she just gives me estrogen also. I told her it is not helping with my depression, anxiety and panic attacks. I am now in the process of looking for a doctor that deals with bio identical hormones and nutrition.

I know this is tough for you especially when you have young children to raise, and other responsibilites. Hang in there.

• Posted

Thanks Maria I used to have a lovely male doctor for years but he retired 2 years ago and I haven't found a good one since! I had blood tests but they said my fsh levels were fine! I'm seeing therapists and changed diet and still it Carey's on. Xx

• Posted

For 2 years my blood work kept coming back normal. Now I am in menopause. Maybe you should start researching, look for information about managing your symptoms.
  • Posted

Foxy, I'm sorry and agree to see another doctor. My gyno is also an endocrinologist and put me on progesterone but I don't start it until next week, day 16. Three yrs ago, it all began and honestly thought there was something wrong with me. My symtoms; irratibility, uncontrolled anxiety, depression. And a loss of interest of everything. I have no zest for life but a bloodtest revealed I'm perimenopausal and never heard of it. I began pyschiatric care and she didn't even guess it was this at 46. The days I'm not anxious, I'm tired. This six but your not alone and there is,someone that will help you, so don't be afraid to seek another doctor. Find someone who specializes in endocrinology. Good luck, and your not alone💙

• Posted

Omg sounds like your describing my life. But my child is 8 years old. And I didn't go on medication for it. And my anxiety is worded the week before. And I'd be like a bomb ready to go off even if someone just tipped the chair I was sitting on , I thought I was losing my mind. Or something seriously wrong. I would be so anxious I was afraid to be alone , anxious stuck in traffic, go the shakes and everything. And hold my head like I was cracking up. But then it would pass again. 😀.

What s next .?.🤔🤔🤔🤔

• Posted

Hi Foxy....no you arent going mad. I am similar to you. I am 49 next month and after I had my last son (15 now)...i got postnatal depression. I was on AD for a year but have suffered anxiety on and off since then. Last October it all changed....out of the blue I got a different kind of anxiety and a weird flat feeling. I also had indigestion palpitations headaches muscle aches and fatigue.

This would just appear out of nowhere and then disappear again. I kept a log and it was happening about the second week of my cycle. I saw the doc and had tests...all fine...i cut out caffeine sugar etc. It improved a little for a couple of months but came back this week. I literally go from being happy to feeling like i am having a breakdown in a day. Then it lifts. So I know its hormones but as I can't take hrt i am just trying to ride it out. The doctor has offered an AD but I don't want to start one yet for a hormone problem that lasts a few days and the goes. If it was constant I would though!

• Posted

Thanks Janine it's awful and yes the anxiety is very different to what I've had in the past! Just like you I feel good one minute then bang I feel rubbish these last 3 days have been the worst in a long time and I literally don't know what to do with myself. Never mind I guess we just have to carry on the best we can xxx

• Posted

I said to my doctor...i have had postnatal depression/anxiety and this is different. I can literally wake up one morning feeling like i am having a breakdown i feel so bad. It lasts for a few days then all of a sudden disappears. Even though my bloods don't show a change yet my doctor says from my symptoms I am in peri. She said the first signs are hot sweats and mood swings. I don't handle stress well either now. Its like I am on heightened alert. I really found stopping the caffeine and reducing sugar did help a lot. Anything I can do to reduce the symptoms has to be a good thing. So you aren't going mad. When you are having those bad days come on here and vent...there is always support and encouragement from others feeling the same way and often thats all you need to feel better x

• Posted

Yes my doctors just keep saying it anxiety and depression but it does feel different and much more intense, I had a brilliant doctor but sadly he retired 2 years ago and I haven't found one as good since he just got me and knew me and I really trusted him he was the only doctor I saw for 10 years. They say cos I'm only 40 it's not perimenopause and my bloods are all fine it's just so frustrating. Xx

• Posted

When I look back i started having symptoms in my early 40s....i am 49 next month. And my younger sister is 43 and she is having issues now....she gets the anxiety and migraines and really heavy periods. I said to her the other day I think she is starting peri. It can last for 10 years and they say the average age of menopause is around 50. I also suspect what I thought was anxiety since i had the kids was actually peri as it has come and gone over the years. It makes me frustrated because look how many of us on here have the same symptoms and yet so many doctors don't acknowledge it....they just say you have depression/anxiety.....yes i KNOW that...but what is causing it! Keep looking for another good doctor....i had to go through heaps before I accidentally stumbled on one who actually believes in peri lol. X

• Posted

I thought that the fact I'm already on medication that would help the anxiety as that has kept it at bay for years but this last year it's there every 3 weeks sometimes mild but sometimes full on and nothing seems to help it it's definitely different to anxiety I used to get I hope I don't carry on like this for another 10 years I don't think I can cope with it. Thanks for all the advice. Xx

• Posted

No worries...keep in touch and remember it will pass. X
    • Posted

Get a new doctor. My gyn gave me a blood lab slip for a blood draw to be done day 3 only.
    • Posted

Why day 3?? Did it show anything? How old are you if you don't mind me asking? Xx

• Posted

My gyno is also an endocrinologist and said to go for blood work day 3 only. Im guessing this was a time when Peri could be diagnosed for sure, but I never asked why. I'm 48, and Peri symptoms began at 45, but had no idea what I was experiencing. When I went for a PAP at the VA Hosp in April 2015, they also did blood work and called Me to tell me I was perimenopausal, but never asked me if I had symptoms. I never knew maybe the reason for my problems, and they should have noticed I was seeking psychiatric care at the same facility. I did my own research and realized my mental health issues was this!

• Posted

When Peri showed up on my blood tests at the VA, it wasn't a specific day

• Posted

Oh that's interesting and I've never heard of a endocrinologist before people on this site said they saw one how do you get to see them? My doctors won't even refere me to gynaecologist just keep sending me away with more antidepressants but I honestly feel it's my hormones as I feel like this every 3/4 weeks and my anxiety is definitely different to what it used to be. Xx

• Posted

My gyno also specializes in endocrinology. Your Primary doesn't have to refer you to a ob/gyn. Women have to chose a primary and a gyn when they enroll in a health care plan. Who does your annual PAP smears? How old are you ??? Sounds like you need to find a new doc!!!

• Posted

I'm 40 and the nurse at my doctors surgery does my smear tests we don't have health care plans it's nhs. Xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.