Peri-menopause & vomitting/anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

I've been vomitting for over a year. I'm 43 but early menopause runs in the family. I get my period every two weeks and the days leading up are awful. I can't eat because I'm so nauseous but then I dry heave for hours. It's violent, the blood vessels around my eyes burst, my ribs ache and then I'm exhausted. I've never been a "napper" but now I can't sleep enough. And as for socializing or going to the market, forget it. I have panic attacks, my hands freeze up and I have to pull over to the side of the road to be safe. I can't take my daughter clothes shopping bc I feel faint or weak. And this has been going on for years but gotten progressively worse this last year. I've lost 65 pounds I didn't need to lose and I fear I'm falling into a depression. Thoughts?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Molly, have you seen a doctor yet? I have the nausea daily, have lost weight, but not as severe as you! I also have muscle pain and weakness, and burning, tingling pains in muscles. Do you have any family to help you? Are you able to eat at all? Like with me, I believe the menopause brought on physical ailments with it. Sounds like you too! If you haven't, you need to be assessed by a physician. Are you able to get to one? 
    • Posted

I'm new to this so if I respond twice I apologize. I've been to every doctor. I've had surgery. But I'm still throwing up. I don't eat. In a mess. And I've got my beautiful 13 year old daughter to care for. But I can't function.
    • Posted

Hi Molly

I had the nausea for one year ginger lemon tea and sucking peppermints helps it will pass I feel for you it's awful and doctors create more anxiety by testing for everything

• Posted

It's about time doctors woke up & took this stuff seriously.

It's easy to get depressed when no one is listening to you. But then, if you admit you are depressed they think the rest is in your head!

I started menopause at 14 yrs old & was to all medical professionals I met, the youngest they knew of (was diagnosed at 16).

Today at 35 I am crippled with pain, fatigue & weakness, chronic chest pain, incontinence (due to extreme weakness) + the random vomiting, also migraine...The list goes on.

Went to the drs today. He is just totally sick of me! Guess what? I'm sick of me too!!!! Came out and realised after being on hrt for 20 yrs & feeling so utterly ill, he did not even check my blood pressure.

Good luck for those in the beginning of the nightmare because you will not find anyone who understands or listens or takes proper action to help you or takes your symptoms seriously & doesn't have you down as a neurotic hormonal woman and you will be lucky if you find people that believe you even.

I know I feel utterly alone. I don't care about me but I need my health to care for my elderly mother who has had 2 strokes.

why do we feel so bad & what damage is being done to our bodies in the process???

• Posted

I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. The doctors just dismiss me. And my issues are not the only issues. I'm faced with my husband's seizures as well. But the doctors lump that in with my situation too easily. They just don't want to deal with me.
    • Posted

I can totally relate. Getting same kind of attitude from Drs and I've gone to many and still no supportive caring one yet. I'm caregiver for my elderly mom too and haven't been able to help her. Feel so bad but I can't even help myself last 11 months.
  • Posted

Dear molly i have recently suffered more with the anxiety panic attacks. I have always had the anxiety with agoraphobia but have alwys controlled that to a certain extent but recently have found i have anxiety and panic gointlg to the shops etc it really is awful xxo
    • Posted

The anxiety/panic attacks are debilitating. I've found them especially severe when I'm driving which I used to love. However I'm finding ways to manage it. First by not beating myself up. Second, and it sounds crazy, but I talk aloud to myself about exactly what I'm feeling. Like I'm on a radio talk show. I know, it's sounds absurd but it helps me work through the dread.
    • Posted

Doctors just treat you as if it's a mental condition and don't look at the whole picture.

I've been battling with perimenopause for 4 months, back and forth to doctors who all think I'm mad.

I keep telling them it's perimenopause but my doc treats me for anxiety and depression and the cardiologist treats my high blood pressure. They just throw drugs at me.

• Posted

Same here. The doctors just want to prescribe meds and cannot or will not see the real issue. The immediate being the weight loss, nausea, and inability to eat. It's like morning sickness 24/7.
    • Posted

Did you get morning sickness when you were pregnant? That's hormonal, just like perimenopause.
    • Posted

Yes but nothing like this. This has been over a full year of nausea, vomitting and terrible reflux. I burp all day long. My apologies is that's too much information but there it is.
    • Posted

Were you prescribed anything for nausea? I have Zofran, but only use it as needed. 
  • Posted

Hi Molly.  I was wondering if you've found any relief from your nausea?  I too have been suffering with nausea and lack of appetite for the past 5 months with weight loss.  I'm 45 years old and have been sent for all kinds of scans, test, etc.  When I mentioned could this actually be peri-menopause? My GYN tested my FSH level and said NOPE. I would actually welcome that diagnosis because my primary care is now talking PET scan for possible cancer if I lose anymore weight !!  I really hope you are doing better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.