Perimenapause or something serious please help

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm 47, and periods have been a bit weird ,37 day cycle at Christmas then a 15 day cycle ,had period for 3 days normally longer,then normal period ,then 6 days after finishing started spotting ,2 weeks today been spotting but think started right period couple of days ago,been refereed to gyno but 18 week wait time,so worried ,how you supposed to know if it's normal or not,so scared ,also never been a 37 day cycle in my life,usually 26 about 😢

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, as you saw on my post I'm having Some  "not normal" things going one in my cycle. I have a friend who is 60 and is past all this peri/menopause stuff. She had all the same symptoms as I have: "spotting" around ovulation, although this month I had a good spotting about 10 days after last cycle started (which last about 5 days) I'm about day 16 and am still spotting a bit, some red some brown), she had the twinging feelings also. That has given me comfort knowing she had the same things. She tells me not to worry, your ovaries are getting ready to close down. So, I'm kinda in same boat over here in Southern California. 
    • Posted

Hi,phew I can breathe again,it's good to hear someone got symptoms as me,well not good for us ,but you know what I mean,Im from Scotland so no matter where you stay we have all got problems,the joys of being a woman lol 
    • Posted

Yes, I just texted her yesterday and asked, you did get all these symptoms as I have, right? And she texted back, Yep all the same, don't worry! It helped because I posted on another board, I think a U.S. board, and someone said that doesn't sound entirely right, you should get checked. I'm sure they meant well, and I don't want to be ignorant if something is wrong, but it sent me into a cold sweat, so I text my friend, and was able to go about my day, after spending 3 hours reading online and freaking myself out, lol!
    • Posted

Oh my god you would have thought I had wrote your last comment ,freaky,lol,no I'm the same been online all today trying to research it but as you said freaking out,as it's hard to tell what's normal and what's not ,husband keeps telling me you will be 48 this year so of course you will start to see things changing ,but you can't help worrying,and our NHS is crap,18 weeks to see somebody,I'll committed by that time lol !!!! 
    • Posted

I hear you. I need to stop "researching" because I will have every disease I see except prostate, lol. I have appt. April 10 for a physical, but will probably have to reschedule it because I'm "suppose" to have my cycle then. 

Ive had a few transvaginal ultrasounds. The last did show cyst, but follow up with gyn aid she didn't feel anything, so it probably resolved itself. That was 2 1/2 yrs ago, so wondering what's gone on since. From what she said, cysts are very common and they usually resolve themselves. You don't know you have them unless you get an US. I also had a uterine biopsy (ouch) in 2008 which checked out ok, may have been a polyp because of this spotting between cycles sometimes. So, all of this after my 40's hit, just seems to be getting a little more symptoms as of late. We just hang in there 😉

• Posted

I had an internal scan 3 years ago also showed cyst on ovary and a small fibroid they said nothing to worry about,I also got biopsy oy uterus and yes very very nippy !!!! They put the mirenna coil in at same time said it would help ,no I bled ,spotting for a year so told them to take it out,my biopsy was also clear,yes we just hang in ,and hope it settles down ( we wish ) xx
    • Posted

Yes it all started changing for me around 47. Periods got heavier and spotting, I had a clear ultrasound a year before to check ok as my Mirena coli came out. So sent for check again and found 2 v small fibroids. Told OK as normal to get these in perimenopause - the bad news is they can cause heavy bleeding and spoting. Things got worst in that periods were heavier so given Transamic acid - that worked OK just accepted had longer and heavier periods now at this age. Now at 52 just had a period that will no stop with clots and v heavy - like a tap opening! But still getting them every 23 to 30 days!. Dr has given me a pill that stopped the bleeding and I have to go back to the Dr in 2 weeks to discuss options. As UK referral to a gyni takes forever I have booked to see one privately to have a discussion - cost @£400 but they will give me more time to ask questions and go through all options not just the cheap ones to save NHS money. But see Dr to have a scan to check if have fibroids as very common now as this can make you bleed irratically but they say they disappear in Menopause.
    • Posted

oh goodness. Well it's good to know these are common, and I can deal with it as long as I know it's all good and normal. I'm in The US, so not familiar with UK health system, but it is a shame you have to go private to get the help you want. I suppose I would do the same thing.

im sure I will have another scan 😞 

• Posted

Thanks yes I have a fibroid and a cyst on ovary,had internal scan 3 years ago they said nothing to worry about,and yes I'm having to wait 18 weeks maybe more to see gyni,I aslo had a uterine biopsy and that came back fine,yes I do have 2 days of period and very very heavy,have been like that a year or so ,but it was this one I was worried about,as everything you read says they will go further apart but this one was only 10 days since starting ,bled for 5 days then 5 days later started spotting,the only thing I notticed when I started spotting thought my nipples were going to fall off they were so sore sorry tmi !! 
    • Posted

hiya

I sounded very similar to you when I was around50-52 (now 54, going on 90).  I had the Transamic Acid for heavy bleeding for about 4-5yrs and at the time they were my savour.  But after forgetting my repeat prescriptions for a couple of months, I just stopped taking them and noticed a real change: less heavy bleeding, less clotting.

Do you have cramps too?  I remember I'd have to resort to taking a couple of Ibuprofen for the first heavy day only (hate taking tabs) which really helped.  Worse thing of it all was the heaviness of the bleed.  Super Tampax + a Hammock, and even then if I coughed within the hour, I'd risk it popping out!  Have you ever had to plan a shopping trip around the nearest Loo?!

But there is light at the end of the tunnel, for you as a mere kid of 52, and that is for me the passing of chunks of 'liver' and the really, really heavy bleeds have abatted. Think I only really noticed changes last year with the colour, consistency of a bleed (honestly, its was like a bloody autopsy with me some months, scrutinising everything. Am I just a sicko or does every woman do this?!) and the realisation that I wasn't getting cramps at all.  Just that I was, and still am, as regular as a teenager humpfffff!!!

I completely understand your point about 'Going Private'.  I often think I'd prefer that we had a US system, and that way I'd get to pay for the healthcare I wanted for ME.  Any bets all 'Those in the Know' re: all things Peri/Menopause will only have time to talk about these issues whilst working in the Private Sector !!  (Oh blimey, here I go..... sometimes I go off on one and don't even know it!  Just getting off my political soapbox now!).

Be interesting to hear how things go with your consultation.  Might just be the best £400 you spend!  (Remember saying that to a friend years ago, when she had to fork out £700......on her Divorce! Then the silly cow went back and re-married him!  We are a strange bunch, us womenlol!!)

Sx

• Posted

Hi Vanessa. My periods started going the same ways 4yrs ago. They vary between 60+23 days. Then sometimes i pass a brown discharge. Hope this helps😄
    • Posted

Hi thank you,I just worried this time as 10 days after starting had them for 5 days ,I started spotting,and just got all panicky,do you mean your cycle is anything between 23 - 60 days ?
  • Posted

It's only been this way since starting peri.apparantley this is what happens😁 I never know were I am with my periods. I also get very panicky.
  • Posted

I have a few small fibroids they also said nothing to worry about. Do you have any other symptoms?
    • Posted

No just periods going a bit haywire,as I said 37 days at Christmas ,I have never been that in my life,I'm very anxious,but I have health anxiety,so not sure if that a sign or not,also a bit uncomfortable down below ,not sure if that's related or not,no hot flushes but I do sweat a lot between boobs when I get pmt and I did read somewhere that is a sign or peri but not sure
    • Posted

You sound very similar to me. Do yourself a diary for a few months and keep ane eye on your symptoms. Here if you need to chat😍

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.