perimenopausal

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi i am posting as at 46 i believe i am perimenopausal. I am having periods but for the past 2 years they have gone from 28 cycle to  22 day, 42 days then normal again at 28 days. My shins have become so itchy at times i could scratch them off. I don't have night sweats or hot flashes but  nearly daily i get hot say after drinking a cup of tea,  and wake up sweaty between boobs most mornings.Anxiety seems to be my major concern, i have developed  a burning throat and tip of my tongue since june this year. I am worried sick about it i even feel the burning in my nose some evenings. This burning i am told by my gp is due to anxiety,  but it is making me anxious. is anyone else like this and is this peri???

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hey Amanda I can totally relate with all you are saying my periods ughhhh horrifying I get horrific cramps now my periods were soooo regular and slowly but surely since 2012 I have tracked my period with a app I’m 48 btw I had two months in that year where my periods were off and for the last few years this year I had a period in February then went 70 days got it I April then 20 days later got it again then 30 days later in June then 22 days later which was July 1 then went 107 days just got it yesterday that’s the longest I ever went without one and it’s horrible in a lot of pain clots cramps I just wish this would be done I will say in August I had a ton of hot flashes I used have nite sweats the week before my period but the symptoms are all over the place I have burning tongue as well it just sucks I keep hoping this is the last period I know eventually we will all be on the other side of this! I’m a nurse and my gp and I both said in school really didn’t teach anything about perimenopause so hang on friend we are all here for each other thank god and your not going crazy!!!!! I have so many of symptoms which started out subtle have now become full blown the thing is from day to day you just don’t know what your going to get imagine if men had to go thru this? We all can have a good laugh with that
    • Posted

Hi Chrisann i too am a nurse and cannot believe the anxiety i am experiencing. I am afraid to keep going to my gp as work with them and fear they will think i am a nutter. This burning tongue and throat thing is freaking me out, making me more anxious i have started taking b vitamins to help with this but  not helping yet. i want to demand tests as fear it could be something terrible but stop myself then sit and cry. i feel a little hopeless at times. My burning on my tongue and throat are always worse in the evening too.  
    • Posted

Yes this should be taught in school. Perimenopause is for the birds. My mom had a hysterectomy early so I don't know if she went through this. Also she passed in 2009 so we really never talked about this she also was a nurse. She would tell me she was having hot flashes but that was about it. For a year and a half I went through he'll. ER, all kind of test I thought I was going crazy. Still get symptoms but not as bad knock on wood. And yes if men had to go through this they wouldn't survive lol

• Posted

Hi again 

It’s weird with the burning tongue I think it’s from my mouth almost being dried out at night I have allergies so I’m often clogged which then doesn’t help things I thought it was the weirdest thing when it first started to happen it goes away and comes back I did hospice with my gp he is younger and smart so I knew he would be open minded he was even reluctant to do blood work which came back normal he said you have all the symptoms and the blood work is just a snapshot it’s not 100% reliable when it comes to hormones! He sat for a hour listening to me! Poor him I also diagnosed with arthritis in my knees as well have had arthritis in my spine for years! If your gp is open minded he won’t think your nuts im very open with my dr about everything he even mentioned antidepressant and I said I don’t think I’m at that point yet I take a Xanax when I need too but magnesium does have a calming effect too which I take that as well I had hope when I didn’t get my period that it was done and I actually had tons of hot flashes in August which didn’t bother me too much but I actually didn’t feel too bad symptom wise beside that now I’m a hot mess! How long do you think you have been in peri? I think I have been for at least six years my gp said it could go on for ten years where Asians it’s much quicker which makes me think it’s there diet that makes it quicker for them well I’m here if you need to vent we all are

• Posted

Absolutely this is perimenopause.  Your period cycles are clearly showing it.    And all the little things you are experiencing are the result.  These symptoms come and go, and turn into other things.  

It helps to ask and share this with other women.  

• Posted

Hi Amanda.  I'm a nurse too!  Lol.  What is it with us?  Haha.  I'm 45.  My cycles are just like yours.  I have terrible itchy shins!!  Epsom salt soaks seem to help a little with that. I wake up with sweat between boobs also.  Other than that, no hot flashes yet.  I constantly think I'm dying of some horrible illness.  I'm having gallbladder issues, which is common with these hormone changes.  But I don't want surgery and I don't want a CT,.  I swear I'm in liver failure🙄.  I am the worst patient lol.  So far through all of this the past 2 years, the health anxiety is the worst for me and I avoid going to doctor if at all possible bc every time I go I cry the whole time.  I'm on sertraline (which apparently isn't helping much).  One day at a time.  We will come out on the other side.  My husband had a cold last week and asked me if I thought he should go to the doctor.  

#tylenolandmotrinyouweakling..😂😂

• Posted

Omg it’s horrible being a nurse and having knowledge the different aches pains ughhhh  I have my period now but went 107 days skipped three cycles for me that’s a new one I have skipped a month here and there I was sooo hoping it wouldn’t come back! My cramping is sooo severe tho I swear I’m in labor that’s not a new symptom had cramps all of my life!!!! I wish it would be over with and I just said to my 17 yr old son if you had a period you wouldn’t get out of bed hahah he was like not all women get cramps and he gave my mother as the example which is true she also finished around 48 well I’m 48 will be 49 in November I joke and say I will have my period till I’m 70!!!! You gotta laugh or you would just crawl into a hole and never come out!!!! My dr he is great I worked with him when I did hospice so he is young he is 40 and always would stop whatever he was doing if you had a question so I made him my primary he is very understanding and when I get blood work I will say let’s look at the hormones he says your in Peri but if you want it done will do it lol he knew a lot more about Peri I was surprised! Your hastag cracked me up like I said men wouldn’t know what to do with themselves if they ever had to get on this roller coaster ride!!!!
    • Posted

Hi chrisann.  I never really had any cramps until this all started.  One time after I was finally able to get out of the bed, I pulled the covers back to find that baby I just gave birth to.  Lol. It was about 2 hours of pure heck and then stopped all of a sudden
    • Posted

Hi

Now that sucks I have had cramps since I had my period I think I was 11 when I got it! Idk where you live but I get the little heating pads that helps and ibuprofen which doesn’t do much for me the nurses in hospice used to say you need morphine and Ativan iv hahah that’s how bad! Funny thing in nursing school wasn’t taught much about Peri learned about menopause even my dr said it was the same for him! It’s so crazy because everything is so unpredictable day to day perimenopause is like puberty and pregnancy the symptoms I just keep hoping it will end soon 

• Posted

Hi Chrisann, for the past 3 day Sunday being day 3 i have had period pains  in low abdomen. i am  around ovulation  day 13/14  its hard to tell as periods are now various lengths apart. The pain is mainly low right sided but i am also experiencing low back pain  around coccyx and a strange  cold skin sensation around my outer right hip. I have no discharge and feel ok in myself.  I am actually  freaking out about this  and tried some pelvic floor exercises which has resulted in me having a sharp pain which comes and goes in my vagina. I am thinking is this an infection, is it due to hormones, am i making my muscles tense in my pelvic region. I had sex the other night which was  a little uncomfortable too. Whats your thoughts? x
    • Posted

Hey Amanda 

I think it’s all related to Peri I get these weird pains all over the other day I had pain near my heart and thought I’m having a heart attack turns out I had a muscle spasms which I have tons of them that was causing that pain I of course was thinking the worst! I have no idea if or when I ovulate I did notice this month I had a clear discharge before my period like ovulation tho in August and September didn’t have that! I have seen other women complaining of back pain with ovulation pain I would just monitor and see where it goes these symptoms are soooo annoying my god! I have been going thru this since I would say 2011 it started very subtle and the last couple of years you just don’t know what your going to get everyday yesterday I felt weird took my bp it was 170/68 wtf is that I usually run 130/70 I will check it later when I saw that anxiety went up I know someday this will all be behind us my memory is horrid then I think I could have early dementia trust me I get it I see my gp Tuesday for a check up so I will tell him about that I almost text him like a crackhead yesterday and I thought calm down lol thank god we have this site I’m sure my husband looks at me like where did my wife go and who are you? Lmao

• Posted

Thanks for getting back, it just freaks me out, i want to go to my GP but i end up crying and always come across as  desperate. Then they want me to have antidepressants which, i don,t want. Every little twinge i get i think its some disease, cyst or cancer related. I have been trying mindfulness  to try and relax myself and stop this anxiety. x
    • Posted

Hi 2chr2015, i too try and avoid going to my gp as i cry and they want to give me antidepressants which, i don,t want. I am having health anxiety issues and always think the worst. I am currently having low right side abdo pain, low back pain and strange skin sensation on outer right hip, im thinking cyst, infection or pelvic tightness. I cannot stop worrying it could be something awful x  
    • Posted

I was 11 too!  Ibuprofen doesn't work for me either, but Tylenol does.  And all I learned was you stopped having a period at meno.

• Posted

Hi Amanda.  I have had a couple of ultrasounds because of sharp pains in my lower abdomen.  I have functional ovarian cysts that come and go.  They are very common.  When mine flare up it causes hip, groin, and low back pain.  Hope that helps a little.    I am 45 and started with all this crap when I was 43.  That was when I had the first ultrasound.  I was a basket case.  We were on vacation and I kept spotting after my period ended.  Started googling And told my husband I was probably dying.  🙄  No joke.  I was so serious.  Shortly after that I had to learn to not google every little pain and I even stayed off of fb because I would always see sad stuff.  I also mute any commercials on tv or the radio.  Maybe that sounds a little drastic but my health anxiety was out of control and I didn't know what else to do.  I also pretty much stick to old tv shows now too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.