Perimenopause and anxiety

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hi ladies

Hoping for some advice or personal experience with perimenopause and increased anxiety or panic attacks.

I'm 44 years young and have had symptoms for last 3 years, in particular, varied menstrual cycle lengths (and I was always a regular 28 day gal), occasional night sweats (waking up at 2am very hot and sweaty ), increased sweating and being hot during the day, random panic attacks very rarely and instead of pms (which I suffered from before which was sore breasts, bloating and irritability)I have anxiety for week after my period and also headache at start of my period (never had that before).

I saw dr on Tues and she said classic sYapton of perimenopause and unstable hormones. I am having blood tests in 2 weeks at start of period to check hormones.

Any ladies out there experiencing increased anxietyor panic attacks during perimenopause? I would love to hear your story and experience and any solutions.

Sydneymum

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Sydneymum,

Panic/anxiety attacks were one of my first symptoms (although back then I didn't realize the 2 were related) of Peri. At first I was given several different types of  anti-depressants to try (what don't they give those out for?), didn't help. I was given a sedative but over time I learned relaxtion techniques, do yoga (right now can't do the yoga bit) but listen to relaxtion tapes.

The best thing to know is and hardest to accept is that if you can learn to not let these rattle you, they will pass quickly.....and when people would tell me this (usually in the midst of some intense, scary feelings) I'd think, "oh sure!".  They were right and now they are very, very rare and past quickly.  It didn't help back then at the time as I had a hyper (just shy of treatment level) thyroid which was creating similiar symptoms.

Look into doing some relaxation tapes to listen to nightly, learn some deep breathing technqiues before the docs try to prescribe you the ADs. They have their place, but honestly in most cases you can ride around those.

Best wishes.......

Annie xx

• Posted

PS- wanted to add-the ADs have their place, so if it comes down to you needing assistance and the doc suggests them temporarily-please do not feel bad to use them. They do have their place and do work. Several of the ladies I work with take them now. It didn't work for me in that case, but oddly enough for a short period last year, I took Sertaline for extreme hot flashes right after the short course of HRT that really didn't help, and I will say, it did help curb the hot flashes.

Try the other options but I reread my message to you and don't want you think I'm anti-AD, because while I believe some docs hand them out too fast, there are times they are very, very helpful.

Take good care!

Annie xxxx

• Posted

I'm right there with you, sydneymum....my adventure with perimenopause began almost exactly two years ago (I was 45 at the time), and the first indication (I now realize) was almost crippling anxiety that appeared (seemingly) out of the blue...my periods up to that point had been fairly regular (although I had skipped one or two and they were becoming lighter overall)....it's been an up-and-down ride since March of 2013 for me....just when I think I've rid myself of these symptoms, they come raging back in...the most persistent (and scary) symptom I've had is the dizzy/lightheaded/off-balance feeling....it's worse when I'm in supermarkets or similar spaces, and is especially noticeable if/when I'm standing in line....I've had a million tests done, and there doesn't appear to be anything "wrong" with me, other than menopause, so I'm trying to accept that diagnosis....I've been offered several different anit-depressants during this time, but have had no luck with any of them (they all made me feel worse)....I was taking low-dose birth control pills until last November, when my OB/GYN had me stop because my FSH and estradiol levels indicated I was POST-menopausal!!!! Yikes! So I stopped the pills and felt great (well, better anyway) for a few months, but now I'm back to being a basket case...I feel so anxious and shaky all the time....and I'm so angry/sad that this is happening to me....like everyone else on here, I just want my life back! Wish I had some tips for you, but I'm at something of a loss myself...I do know that exercise helps, if you can manage it (tough with the anxiety, I know)....I tried HRT recently and that also made my symptoms worse....awaiting a call from my OB/GYN to discuss other options, but I'm afraid that I may have to just muddle through the best I can...this forum is great for support and empathy from others who are going through similar situations...hang in there and know you're not alone smile
    • Posted

Hi wearykitty. Just wondering how you are doing now? I'm in Peri about 3 years I think but not sure. I have the anxiety, dizziness, sore joints etc. just wondered how you are doing now?

• Posted

Oh ladies this is my life right now too💗 it's pure hell!! Mid 40's I had issues with my gallbladder then I had issues with depression and anxiety, periods bit irregular but no one mentioned menopause!! Empty nest syndrome and new job were the reason for the anxiety and depression so onto AD's and I have to say at the time I was in some state and so took them!! Last year I felt great and settled in my life and so came off AD's as I felt like I was unemotional with no libido at all and for a 52 year old that's just no good!!

So beginning of February I missed a period for the first time and the anxiety and depression returned and so AD's prescribed again so at the moment I think I'm dealing with side effects of the AD's but not sure, back to docs for me as I hate feeling this discontent, depressed and anxious!!

This forum is brilliant, you realise you are not alone, take care of yourself, tell filt and friends how you feel

Hugs xx

• Posted

Bless you Liz,

I feel so bad for the majority of you nice ladies on here. I hate where I am at, but I'll be 57 this year and honestly maybe towards my late 40's really early 50's did I notice a few things changing. It really didn't get ugly until about a year ago when I feel like the bottom fell out.

You have come to the right place. Liz, when I found this site and I'm in the US, it was like finding my old dear friends here to help me go through this wild ride.  And it's nice as there are people from all over the world here and with that comes knowledge from many different points of view and places. You will see.

If you haven't read some of the many wonderful posts by JayNeeJay, please look her up on here, she's very knowledgable. Been a great big help to all of us here.

It does help quite a bit knowing we that we are not alone in this. May take a bit to get through this, but there is always someone here to help. Eases some of the pain, doesn't it?

Annie xx

• Posted

Hi Liz

I hear you sister! I'm 44 turning 45 this year and this year the sudden onset of anxiety and panic attacks have been horrible. Can I repeat what I said in my previous post.... The lady dr I saw on Tuesday said that the anxiety and panic is hormone imbalance during perimenopause and upping my Effexor xr low dose will make no difference as it is not a case of serotonin needed jacking up, but oestrogen/progesterone decline or imbalance.

As I am waiting to have blood tests next period for hormone testing and then results to determine appropriate medication (whether HRT or otherwise I don't know), I am just holding on for that, although the awful panic and anxiety last week (week after period) has settled down proving she is correct that it is related to hormones. And no, I have no significant and disruptive life events I could offer as basis for the bad anxiety and panic. In fact I could not be happier with my life at moment, with beautiful husband of near 20 years and two lovely teenagers.

Interestingly, my anxiety is very much driven by health anxiety. I panic that every symptom I or my loved ones display is sign of some or other deadly illness. Catastrophic thinking it is called. Objectively I know my mind turns to worst case scenario, but in th e middle of a panic attack or severe anxiety, I cannot be rationale for obvious reasons. Instead, I try reassurance telling myself gently not to panic, the moment will pass and distract myself from the anxiety but doing something practical to keep busy.

She did suggest as mentioned previously, that a benzodiazapine could be helpful if the anxiety and panic is limited to a few days a month. The one I use is alprazalone (brand name xanex, xanor or here in Australia Calmo). Bear in mind it can become addictive with daily use for 6 months, but at low dose (0.25mg) it is perfectly fine. I also use it if I have periodic insomnia or ear l y morning waking.

Let me know how you go. Keep smiling and putting on one smile after another and know that it will get better....

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi there

Wee update on how I am and to ask how you are.

My period arrived last Friday and by lunchtime that day I felt 'normal' !!! I was delighted!! Went out for lunch with friends, went to supermarket and daundered round enjoying the experience I also nipped into hairdressers and got trim!! No way could I have done that the day before!! However saturday and Sunday the anxiety has returned😞

HRT? not sure if I should try it. Doctor says give it a try, I just need to get back to work and feel normal again.

I do hope you are well x

• Posted

Hi Liz

Glad to hear you had fun at the shops and got your hair done! Well done!

I'm in the same boat as you I suspect! I suppose we should be glad that at least it is not the titanic!

I was supposed to get my blood test done on first day of period this month, but guess what it arrived sat night and all our blood testing places are closed on Sundays!

So I will have to phone the doctor this morning (it is Monday morning here on a very grey Autumn Sydney day) and see if it makes a difference and whether I can get bloods done today (day 2 of period) or wait another month.... very frustrating.

I am waiting for anxiety to kick in...I'm ahead of this month since I got heads up from the doctor last month that it was hormonal. Weirdly, I don't seem to get the pms (bloating, irritability)I used to get before I hit peri 3 years ago, now it all seems to happen after my period.

On Thurs last week, I had the night sweats (to be fair, they are really mild and I wake up feeling hot and slightly damp on my chest and stomach).

Then last night I had the blooming insomnia (have never ever had that before peri) and firstly couldn't get to sleep, then when I did, I kept waking up and was awake from 3 am to 4.30am.

Ñext on the chart for me will be the anxiety....It hits me at the tail end of period and first week after....starts gradual and then picks up and then tails off in 2nd week.

My anxiety if scary too...I get health anxiety and panic, feel like I can't breathe, heat sensation on my chest, tingling...

But now I know it's hormonal, I feel a bit more prepared armed with the knowledge....Last month I tried to reason with myself during episodes and "talk myself down".... it will pass etc...

but armed with medication too if needed....and I did take the medication 2 or 3 days...

So my present plan for navigating this awful peri anxiety and panic is 3 step procedure.

I am on low dose antidepressant (effexor xr) which I have been on on and off for last 14 hrs and now my new female doctor reckons the anxiety may well have been cycle related all along!!!aghhhh.

MY 2ND step is my "as needed fall back position" medication which my new best doctor gave me called Zanex (alprazolam) which is fast acting and kills that panic and anxiety within 15 mins.... I can also take it on that 1, 2 or 3 nights of insomnia to help me sleep. Last month I took it as I said and one of the 2 nights of insomnia...

My 3rd step is in limbo at the moment....doctor mentioned hrt, but only once my blood test results and hormone levels are in... so not sure when I will see her next to have that discussion.

Truthfully, my only troublesome symptom at the moment is the anxiety and panic for a week, so I am not sure whether that justifies hrt or whether I should wait a while...I am certainly not averse to medication if it helps and the risks are low.

So that's my update for the moment....glad to hear you treated yourself...my advice is to do what makes you comfortable and gets you back to being "you" and not letting the anxiety run your life. If that means medication....then drink up! I'll have a glass with you! Well a wee one anyway!

chin up girl!

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi Sydneymum,

Mine are exactly same as you describe. I have trouble with anxiety and panick attacks, so I was under alprozolam on and off for short period of time. Doctor said this is highly addictive drug so incase attack happens I should take this. My first attack was 7 years ago when probably my peri started. Over the years the symptims getting milder, but other symptoms kick in. Insomnia is one of them. I don't take alprozolam anymore. I take valeriane, 100% herbal before bed, which seem to calm me dow a lot and no side effects. As I was recommended I carefully watch my blood pressure as this often fluctuates when hormones changes in the body. I exercise and do yoga and relaxation things. These seem to be helping lately. 

• Posted

HI Altaa

I did try Valerian a couple of years ago, but felt it did nothing for my anxiety at that stage.

I am aware the alprazolam is a benzodiazapine and therefore highly addictive. I find that firstly, knowing as of last month when I saw the doctor and she explained the hormone connection, it has helped me not to panic as much...for example last night I had really bad insomnia and could not sleep or when I did, only for a few hours....but I did not panic, just realised normal peri symptom which has become a pattern for me during my period (insomnia and anxiety) and just relaxed and read my book till sleepy.

same thing with the anxiety. I now expect it to happen this week or next following the last 2 month pattern, so will be less panicky about it and am also reassured that if necessary I have alprazolam I can take. Just knowing I have the tabless is calming in itself.

I may give the valerian another go as it has been a couple of years and worth another go. Thank you for sharing your experience!

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi sydneymum, just wondering how you are doing now? Any info would be great. Going through similar scenario. sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.