Perimenopause and body pain?!? need some help

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi again this is Jennifer, I am 50 yrs old and have written before about the complex horror of Perimenopause. Has anyone ever experienced low or upper back pain that radiates to the waist and absominals? It's a terrible feeling, I feel like my whole body aches. From my feet to my shoulders. I don't know if sometimes it has to do with ovulation at mid cycle. I went to a neurologist who said I do not have Fibromyalgia. I just don't know what is causing the aching. Sometimes my lower back hurts and I can feel it in my abdominals. Can someone please shed some light on this for me it's giving me bad anxiety. Thank u

6 likes, 118 replies

118 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I feel this way sometimes too. I have low bad pain but sometimes it's in the middle . Then my left side hurts .... hardly ever my right side. But it really doesn't hurt as much as it feels like a cramp in my side .and sometimes a feeling that I'm so tired and a sick feeling will rush over me sometimes like I'm coming down with a cold or flu ....and then I'm fine . I have had so many different things over the last year and a half. Too many to name .. but I do feel better now more than 6 months ago. So good to read that I'm not the only one with these symptoms

• Posted

I need your help, I am a 38 years old and I don't know what is happening to me. Perhaps someone is having similar symptoms i am having, I don't know what to do. My husband doesn't understand what I am going through. I have been having severe body heat whenever i am going through ovulation and when it gets close to my period,  apart from being very hot I experience radical body pains, it is so severe that I thought I was having heart attack I had to be rushed to A&E. My shoulders feels like i am old and cranky and it happens all over the body including my back. Since last month the heart started to race and again I had to see a doctor who sent me to do an ECG which was ok. My mouth feels burn and funny, and my smell is different, every month the symptoms are different but some months its more severe than others,  I have insomnia, tiredness, headache, faint spells, gas passing wind regularly and diarrhea  and even depression. Can someone please help me, please I am going out of my mind.  The gynecologist told me she cant find my complain, she even referred me to an internist. planning to go back to the doctor tomorrow because the symptoms have started since yesterday.

• Posted

Nordia, you are young, but sounds like all the symptoms of perimeno. I have a feeling the gyn will try and put you on birth control pills. Let us know.
  • Posted

Hi my name is patti I just turned 50 a month ago and haven't had a good day since ! I stumbled upon this page while googling my symptoms and couldn't believe that there are other people feeling the same way ..I missed 4 periods and it's been about 2 months that I'm having horrible upper back pain rt in between my shoulder blinds and down my spine feel like I'm dying my Dr can't understand me so I asked him for an MRI which I had done this week should have results Monday but until then is there anything I can do to relieve the pain I tried stretching don't work even laying down hurts 😔

• Posted

Oh my goodness.. I  could have written this… My back pain was absolutely awful for weeks, nothing helped… I tried exercise ,stretching, pain relievers Etc..and it finally just went away on its own… Just like every set of symptoms like it on rotation the teams… Stomach problems, body aches, crankiness, headaches, shakiness you name it it comes and goes… Only thing that helps a tiny bit is staying hydrated and trying to get a walk in each day,but that’s been very hard to do lately ..hang in there and know that you’re not alone and reach out if needed. 
    • Posted

Patti, hi, I'm 49 and haven't had a normal day in 6 mos! Hit me totally out of the blue! I was working out 5x week, happy, energetic...then boom... after my October period my system went totally haywire. I call it a perpetual PMS.....like I just got stuck...bloating, irritability, major breast and underarm pain, bloating, tummy problems, fatigue, back pain and weird left sided rib pain! Then I made the mistake of googling symptoms and launched into a level of anxiety I've never had before in my life. I was literally sobbing everyday thinking I was dying. Ovarian cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer, leukemia...you name it, I've diagnosed myself with it over the past 6 mos. I've had a normal Pap smear, mammogram, pelvic ultrasound, thyroid ultrasound, chest X-ray, and complete blood count. My symptoms have lessened over the 6 mos to the point where I can now get a walk in everyday and function fairly normally,  but the back pain and rib pain persist. I continue to google symptoms way too much which has basically given me severe health anxiety and stolen my joy. I just want my old self back! 

• Posted

Oh my gosh! We are twins!! Every single symptom and the accompanying anxiety..that’s definitely the worst! Glad we found this site, i would be insane without it! Take care and keep in touch!
    • Posted

Thank you, Amysmile Just reading these posts, including yours just now, has already helped to lessen my anxiety a bit! I really have no one to talk to about any of this. My Mom is gone and none of my friends my age seem to be having these issuessad It's all gotten me so depressed, but good to know I really am not alone.

• Posted

I cant believe I found this site.It is so good knowing Im not alone.I have been having issues for more than 3 years now .I have had so many different symptoms from irregularity in cycle to pain in my upper back and shoulder blade to not sleeping well at all.I have been to so many drs they all say the same thing.I have recently seen a integrative dr and am scheduled for to see her tomorrow to see what she has to say about my blood work.She is the first to check my hormone levels so hopefully she will have an answer to all of this misery.We go from feeling great one day to feeling disfunctional the next.So glad I found this discussion it makes me feel better and not alone in this phase in life.Hope it gets better soon for all of us.Keep in touch let me know how things are going for yiu.
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer... I have back pain that stretches from lower to upper back from time to time. I also have left sided rib pain. Mine seems to get worse after ovulation until my period. But it seems to always be there since about 6 mos agosad I'm 49. I'm also getting really bad migraines during the week leading up to my period and sometimes almost feel like I'm getting the flu. Then it's gone the next day. I, too, now have serious health anxiety and am convinced I must be dying of some type of cancer. I'm just so fed up with all of this! And three doctors have refused to test my hormones because they tell me if I'm still getting a period the test results won't really prove anything! But I know how my body feels, and I know my hormones aren't balanced!!

• Posted

Ugh..yes doctors are what made me feel like I was a crazy hypochondriac..but we absolutely know our bodies at this age ..Mine threw antidepressants at me which was a horrible mistake, It made me worse physically and I stopped taking it after less than a month and certainly didn’t help my emotional state at all. So hang in there and know there are so many here that can relate and are here for you. 
  • Posted

This sounds so close to what I'm going through, but not. My last period was in March. It was replaced with amazing hot flashes and pain. Omg..the pain. Every morning I wake up 4-5 am and every inch of me hurts. My joints.. my skin like I have a fever. It eases as the day goes on but never completely goes away. I feel 80 not 48. Nothing helps either. Advil..nope. Aleve..nope. Taking hemp oil pills with undetermined results. Side note..cant go to the dr at this moment.. in between jobs..no insurance. Also side note, I also suffered from PMDD my entire life, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this??

• Posted

Although our symptoms may all be a little different, I think the common thread is that we were all doing fine, until bam!!...everything about our hormones and bodies went wacky and we’re just not ourselves anymore!!! It’s so frustrating and pretty scary too! Feeling pain is very scary because you automatically assume there’s something seriously wrong! And I, too, am not sleeping well anymore which makes me crabby and exhausted during the day, and leads to even more anxiety over what’s wrong with me! Ugh! I just started on evening primrose this cycle, and I’m hoping it makes some difference! 
  • Posted

The last doctor I have been to is not convenience it's pre-menopause, I am not a doctor but I know what am experiencing, I don't look forward to to ovulation not my period cause that's when my system turns upside down, but I will keep you all in my prays while you do the same for me, it's not getting any easier, but the truth is we can't escape it there unless we take hormonal therapy. I wish not to go to that route cause to me that's not the best option, but let's go through this with the help of our saviour

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.