Perimenopause and body pain?!? need some help

Posted , 44 users are following.

Hi again this is Jennifer, I am 50 yrs old and have written before about the complex horror of Perimenopause. Has anyone ever experienced low or upper back pain that radiates to the waist and absominals? It's a terrible feeling, I feel like my whole body aches. From my feet to my shoulders. I don't know if sometimes it has to do with ovulation at mid cycle. I went to a neurologist who said I do not have Fibromyalgia. I just don't know what is causing the aching. Sometimes my lower back hurts and I can feel it in my abdominals. Can someone please shed some light on this for me it's giving me bad anxiety. Thank u

6 likes, 118 replies

118 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Yes,  I have suffered lower back pain for over 13 years it started when I was pregnant with my first child, I saw a chiropractor which helped loosen things up and I would be good....but after 10 years I started getting these pains you are describing...it all started as I turned 40 and it went from lower, to upper, and radiate around to my abdomen, the chiropractor didn't seem to help anymore, I had tests done, ultra sounds on my abdomen, kidney, and they checked for appendix and everything seemed to be good.  I started keeping a diary, and it seemed worse second phanse of my cycle...worse leading up to my period.  I on accasion will get even hip pain that runs down my leg.  I started changing my diet, saw a natural path who ordered blood work and realized I am low on a lot of things, which is not abnormal once you reach 40's.....then started acupunture and truly that seems to be my saving grace.  From talking to my gyno he says that in our forties leading to menopause the hormones go into overdrive and what a lot don't understand is hormones effect more than just the female parts.....it basically can turn a body upside down.......I have had so many off the wall symtoms the last few years I wondered who stole my body.....I occasionally still get the symproms but at a much lessor degree.  I always thought hot flashes was the side effect to menopause, I have everything BUT that...

• Posted

Good to know. I don't even have kids, yet experiencing all sorts of fun menopausal symptoms. Msny of which I had like tgese other ladies. I just started my period again after like22 mos. or post menopause. I thought I was out of the woods. Guess not. So Im going to my gyno. next Tues. cause I'm really scared maybe I have something bad like cervical cancer, but trying to stay positive. This happened once before to me about a year after no periods. Had a battery of tests done, including a biopsy and they didn't find anything luckily.

Being almost 52, about 3 years into this peri then to meno and thou check t post meno. crap its been pretty awful. However, most of my symptoms have subsided over the past year or so now like the hot flashes and sleeplessness until now with these 2 mos. of heavier periods, lower back pain or tightening there recently makes me worry too. I've read so much about this. Like you I had all kinds of tests like about 2 yrs. ago when this happened. Periods wete just a couple months in then ended. I had a biopsy then and luckily they didn't find anything. Just super scared this time since its almost been 2 yrs.in. I don't want it to be cancer. I'm hoping its maybe just a polyp, fibroid or endometrial thickening issues.

Today day 6 just have a light spotting and its mostly brownish in color now so maybe its almost over. Just been a frightening 3 or 4 days of bad bleeds. Nervous as hell I have something bad.

Pray for me that I don't.

• Posted

The fun never ends.

I'm sure you will be ok, probably just more meno hell!

XO

• Posted

I will pray for you for sure, please keep us posted.  You are not alone, any time I get a new symptom I start to worry it is something more, I think the anxiety alone makes things worse.  My periods were always clock work, then last year they started with brown nearly black spotting and I like you worried the worst.  They did ultra sounds and because I was up to date with my pap everything was normal.  It is scary this phase in life because we don't know what is normal and what isn't.  I can't even tell you how many times since this staarted I have been at some sort of appointment.....it has become my new normal.  Hang in there, thank goodness for these forums where we can all talk about it with others that totally get it.

• Posted

Thanks Linda. Will keep you posted. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers!
    • Posted

I had a pelvic/vaginal sonogram 6 months ago.. all normal. Yet the past several days now I have crampyness in my legs and pelvic area. My lower back aches too... I think I'm done ovulating. Who knows! lol

• Posted

Jennifer, I want to tell you that every woman here gets it. Mine also started with shoulder pain, frozen shoulder, then lower back & hips. I've also had rib pain, wrists, finger joints. Every test imaginable, with nothing wrong. Then eventually painful sex, vagina lol atrophy & dryness. Oh it's just so much fun. And as Littleme described, I'm now into loss of SELF. I will say that I was given vagina like Estrave for dryness & within a few weeks, my whole self sprung back, & all pain went away. But then my hair started falling out. Progesterone was the only thing that stopped it.

What you are experiencing is definitely hormonal. Sorry.

• Posted

I had to laugh at your post Gailanne. It is so true. One thing lessens and another thing takes over. This morning I experienced my first dizzy spell. Went to sit up in bed and the room did a quick spin. Just lovely. My body is making sure I get every single symptom of peri that there is, can't leave anything out! At least I give 100% to what I do! Ughhhhhhh

• Posted

You ladies do make me laugh. Just crazy what we all have to go through. All I can say is in my next life, if there is an afterlife, I'm coming back as a male lion. I'll be the king if my own concrete jungle. No one will want to mess with me. Haha...

• Posted

Hi lovely ladies/Didi too true it is a rough ride for sure something new to deal with everyday draining to day the least but we are all tough cookies and it definitely helps to talk to all you ladies 😘💪xxxxx

• Posted

Grrr, my messages are being moderated and probably won't show up. 

I found out that I have very high levels of Epstein Barre Virus. Could be the root of all my issues, and yours too. Hopefully my posts will show up after being moderated. 

Private message me and I can tell you more if you want to know. 

• Posted

Yes I have that virus in my system too Suzanne
    • Posted

Do your levels show reactivated infection Lisa?
    • Posted

Well I don't know. Would it show up in blood test or would the dr specifically need to look for it. My white blood cells esinophils were high ( indicating fighting something ) in my recent blood test. My previous test wiling a different dr showed active but that was a few years ago.

• Posted

It would show up on the bloodwork. Can give you details tomorrow when I'm at my computer. The tests would all be elevated to show reactivated infection. Did you have mono as a teen? Evidently when EBV is reactivated it can cause all of the symptoms we have. Even frozen shoulder, joint pain, burning feet, night sweats, eye flashes, everything we have..

• Posted

So if your IgM is negative, but everything else is positive that may indicate reactivation of the virus. 

I'm going to pursue this, more research shows that even my gall bladder is related and every single symptom I have is, and that's probably why the bio hormones aren't helping.

• Posted

I'm evidently not allowed to say on here where I've read this, but you can google perimneopause and EBV and find some good articles.

• Posted

WOW... really.. I have POTS which was caused by Glandualr fever or mono as you call it.. and my pots symptoms after being in remission for over 6 years have suddenly gone through the roof . No wonder im dropping to bits.
    • Posted

Hi did you ladies find any answers? I also had ebv when I was younger.

And have almost the exact symptoms to you.

• Posted

Hi, I started acupuncture about 6 weeks ago. She tells me around the 8th treatment her patients see difference. I have to say I've noticed changes with my allergies. I am much better there.

I've been given Chinese herbs. Couldn't tell you what they are. The low grade aniexty comes and goes. I do have to take a low dose of Xanax when the teenagers and husband get to me.

Thanks for sharing your experience

• Posted

Hi. Best I know is that when your hormones drop due to perimeno, your immune system is low. And any stressors can trigger dormant EBV to awaken when your immune system can no longer keep it in check. Some call it the sleeping giant. So I do believe that most of the difficult symptoms we encounter at this time is indeed from reactivated EBV. My symptoms, at their worse, were very viral like, coming and going (like malaria). EBV didn't emerge until around 1900s, and women before this time always looked forward to meno and didn't even experience hot flashes or any other of the symptoms we all endure nowadays. 

There must be a connection with EBV causing a more difficult peri. Two women I know who were also experiencing the same symptoms, and blamed it on Lyme Disease, were tested for reactivated EBV and found they indeed had it. There isn't much we can do about it, except to support the immune system the best you can, and this is by getting proper sleep, nutrition, and keeping stress low. Eventually when hormones settle down maybe then the immune system will knock down EBV again and we will start feeling better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.