Perimenopause and loss of apetite

Posted , 84 users are following.

Hi Lovely ladies

i am 3 yrs in peri, past months my periods have become lighter, this month no period, I also feel nausea, loss of appetite  at Times and other times I eat a lot, I feel also depressed at times, the symptoms comes and goes, even my blood pressure fluctuates, high, low, normal...my body is doing all sorts, lost my libido, my boyfriend also walked out 2 months ago, as I was always tired and didn't want to make love and it ends in big argument.

My body has changed so much, I get all sorts of symptoms,  and some days I'm also happy and normal, and have no symptoms.

Some days I also feel like my life is over, depressed and sadness. I have no drive to do much apart from daily routine, 

my boyfriend is not supportive so he left and I don't even miss him as I am much happier in my little world of Me, the new person and body  I'm trying to understand. It's very stressful this changes as I was always a happy and bubbly woman. 

Hoping all this will pass soon.

10 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hello Kadija, big hugs to you, I am going through the same as you describe, I can go for weeks feeling fine, and then out of no where I physically feel the peri symptoms coming on - anxiety, nausea, cramps, dry mouth no matter how much I drink - does anyone else get this?? so depressed like a cloud comes over me, no appetite for food or anything else for that matter...it is awful! And I'm having a particularly bad day today, so I always come to this forum for reassurance I'm not going mad!! Sometimes it's pre menstrual, but other times like now it's in the middle of my cycle and there is no real reason, so I was interested to read that before you actually go through menopause, there are actually surges of oestrogen that can peak to levels higher than any other time, and this saps the body's resources and limits the amount it's ability to produce other hormones - like seratonin, dopaine, adrenaline, so these all crash which is why we feel awful, so I'm trying to make sure I take vitamins and supplements and eat well ((even though I don't feel like it) which does help - though some days its so bad you just have to ride it out, and take reassurance that you're not alone x

• Posted

Hi Karen,

I get dry mouth too, been tested for diabetes, it's negative. My sugar lever is low.

I wake up with a very dry mouth, I drink lots of water but doesn't help. I so eti es get bouts of nausea, loss of appetite and at times bouts of hunger and eat lots.

Right now I'm sitting and talking to my son and at time I forget what I've said, it's like a brain fog. Some days I feel very sleepy and sleep for 10 hours and also  some days I have problems getting to sleeping I  Barely fall asleep.

It's a big worry, as at times i feel like I have a serious illness, yet after a few days or week I am symptomless. It's been going on for 3+years now. I am 50yrs old.

• Posted

The symptoms that come mid cycle are due to ovulation.  Get a period app for your phone,, it will allow you track things. Usually starts around day 10 from start of your period.. peaks at day 14.
    • Posted

I know this is a few months back but I have these symptoms too and now I’m convinced I have a disease. Loss of appetite, lost weight and depression and anxiety. I have had depression and anxiety in the pass now seems horrible. Can you give me your insight? Also how long did you have loss of appetite? I didn’t know it was a perimopause symptom!
    • Edited

Hi Justine

Welcome.

ive had and have all of your symptoms..12lbs wt los, dry mouth, depression- very bad, anxiety.

I just know that its all tied in with the hormones. Ive been searching for answers for 1 yr now. Im 53, turning 54, and guessing it will continue if i dont figure it out.

I just wanted to reassure you that weight loss is not too uncommon. most women gain weight, but for me and you and others, its the nausea, dry mouth upset GI tract etc etc..

i could go on but ill stop for now  rolleyes

xoxox

• Posted

Thanks for replying!! Yes I already struggled with anxiety before now it’s so bad I just went on antidepressants last week hoping it will help!!! I get so anxious/depressed and then I worry there’s something really wrong with me with all these symptoms. Good to know I’m not alone and hoping the antidepressants work!!
    • Edited

I am hoping that they help you, I dont take anything as nothing really helped me only adding more to the already everchanging weirdness im feeling in menopause.

If the AD work for you then you scored! I am an advocate for whatever works for a person. All of the mood problems seem to worsen during these times. 

there is lots of support here and you will find it most certainly. Let me know how you are doing and if its helping.

x0x0x0

• Posted

Thank you so much means a lot to me!!! All the support is much needed in times like this!! XXX OOO
    • Edited

I'm glad I found this site. I'm 47 and for the first time in a very long time my period was 2 weeks late. I recently moved to a new town, new house and had a major job event this month so I figured with all that, it put it off. I normally get sore breasts, but not this month. Instead, I was having bouts of anxiety, crying for just no reason. When my period finally came, I felt better within 2 days, but I was like... what did I just go through? I found a new doctor and went the other day... blood pressure normal, oxygen and pulse all normal. They took my weight and realized I lost 12lbs unintentionally. Again, thinking I'm just not eating right from the move/event, but I've realized I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. The doc wouldn't say if I was in peri, so they are going to run tests on me to rule out anything else. One of my older girlfriends who has been 1 year without her period said she went through this. This morning I'm on the deck with hubby watching him mow the lawn and I just burst out crying for no reason. This is terrible! And since the doc said "to rule out anything else out", it's like I swear I have cancer now, even more so since I'm a smoker. My girlfriend says I just have to copy through the symptoms. Ugh! Help! 

• Posted

Hello Karen,

I am so happy I found this site!! I am going through EVERY LAST symptom you ladies have listed! I'm a 53 year old single mother to basically 8 adult children,(baby will be 18 on the 27th) and 12 grandchildren. The worst of the symptoms for me are the night sweats, almost complete loss of appetite, EXTREME anxiety, and weight loss. I have been a "BIG" girl for about 15 yrs now, so when my weight loss started happening, I panicked. I am not now, nor have I ever been a heavy eater but, to almost completely loose my appetite, that was/is nerve wrecking! I have awakened every night between 2 and 3, and thats when the heavy anxiety sets in. I read on here how one lady has been having vivid dreams. I too have been having them, which until about 3 weeks ago, I never did. I might have had a dream once in a blue moon, that I never remembered. This is one of the strangest, and hardest things I've ever experienced in my life! Prayer goes a long way for me. My momma taught me that years ago. Sometimes when we wake in the middle of the night, that can be the best time to talk to God, and really hear him. It's amazing how reading these comments from so many other women, that's going through what I'm going through, my anxiety has greatly diminished tonight. I am so glad I found out about this site! God bless you all!

• Posted

Justine, I have many of the symptoms you describe as well. I'm also about to try antidepressants. How are they working for you? I have always suffered from depression and anxiety as well. Just now everything is much more intense. Are the AD working? Which ones?

Thanks and I hope you're feeling better.

• Posted

I'm new to this forum, btw...I'm having the same symptoms...loss of appetite, extreme ANXIETY/DEPRESSION...trouble sleeping, big time, and staying asleep! also, heart palpitations! I was also thinking something is seriously wrong with me! I'm 50 years old! missed period in April, and this month...ugh!!! Complete nightmare!

• Posted

Im sorry Angelina

Its weird how depression/anxiety actually can take over, and menopause is what brings it on.

I hope you are getting a repreive here and there. It's awful I know.

Noone gets this unless it's happened to them.

Hope your ok

Welcome..lots of support here

Xoxo

• Posted

yes im the same, only 42 but suffering terribly from the same symptoms -have you considered hrt? think our bodies are crying out for estrogen..

• Posted

i am going theough the exact thing. insonmia panic fear anxiety hot flashes that last hours

• Posted

hi Mauiblue

I just read your list of symptoms and it mirrors mine exactly - loss if appetite GI issues (i think its silent acid reflux but not sure), weight loss, dry mouth, anxiety...

i know you posted this a while ago, did your symptoms settle?

leigh x

• Edited

So glad to come across this thread!! I've been thinking I have pancreatic or colon cancer! This has just started for me at 50.... last 12 days no appetite, weight loss, dry heaving in the a.m., gastrointestinal nightmare!! Been to the ER...and had ultrasound and CT scans all negative for abnormalities....except a left side ovarian cyst which I have followed up on....So tired and achy! No energy or drive!! This sucks!!

I am going to try some Evening promise oil....

I know this is an older thread.....but I can't say how relieved I am to find I am possibly not dying!

Still need to get the good ol' colonoscopy and an Endoscopy to check for Celiac's and Pernicious anemia... (I was already diagnosed with Megoblastic anemia...it's kind of the same in a confusing way)

Arrrgghhhh!!!

Best wishes to you all and Thank you!!!

• Edited

Hi Karen,

I'm 43 and recently went to the doctors with terrible sleep , sadness and anxiety and my doctor told me i was to young to be in perimenopause. I'm also experiencing loss of appetite. Struggling to face cooked food. I exercise and a postive person most of the time so i know my body out of sorts. Are you on hrt? Does this help?

• Posted

hi Karen, yes im 43 and have been going through stmptoms for 4 years, have you cycles charged at all, night sweats ? These are pretty good indications that it’s peri menopause, my period is now down to 1-2 days, brownish in colour and I start to ovulate the day after its finishes - which definitely isn’t what it used to be! I’ve been to loads of doctors and there is no way of diagnosing peri menopause because it’s not an illness, but there are a lot of symptoms, I was prescribed hrt privately for a year and it worked great for 6 months and then just stopped, I think probably my hormones became so erratic it couldn’t level out any more?! Really hrt is only for post menopausal women who’ve not had a period for over a year, and when the hormones should have levelled out, otherwise it can just exacerbate the problems, but you should definitely investigate that if you think it might help, personally for me anxiety and low mood are the worst symptoms atm, anxiety is awful today to when that happens I just try to do excercise, distract myself and look forward to a glass of wine at the end of the day, good luck and always here if you need to talk x

• Edited

Hi. I posted this thread over two years ago, my symptoms got better after a few months. However now my symptoms is back same issues again. Feeling so miserable and i googled my symptoms and bang it gave me what i posted three years ago.. At least i know im not suffering from some serious disease.

I just hate losing weight and losing my appetite, it makes me feel depressed with my already high anxiety.

• Posted

Hi

I am, 41 years old and I am going through severe health anxiety.major mood swings all test done everything seems to be normal....got blood pressure in the past 2 months....i feel like I am living in someone else's body....light headed, loss of appetite. so fed up

• Posted

hiya im getting the same symptoms im wondering if it got any better

• Posted

me too i am 47 going through the same stuff no period for three months! i want my period to return so i feel normal again!

• Posted

yep all i know is that when my period returns i feel normal again! im 47 and no periodnow for three months hot flashes anxiety insomnia no appetite mood issues!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.