Perimenopause and loss of apetite

Posted , 84 users are following.

Hi Lovely ladies

i am 3 yrs in peri, past months my periods have become lighter, this month no period, I also feel nausea, loss of appetite  at Times and other times I eat a lot, I feel also depressed at times, the symptoms comes and goes, even my blood pressure fluctuates, high, low, normal...my body is doing all sorts, lost my libido, my boyfriend also walked out 2 months ago, as I was always tired and didn't want to make love and it ends in big argument.

My body has changed so much, I get all sorts of symptoms,  and some days I'm also happy and normal, and have no symptoms.

Some days I also feel like my life is over, depressed and sadness. I have no drive to do much apart from daily routine, 

my boyfriend is not supportive so he left and I don't even miss him as I am much happier in my little world of Me, the new person and body  I'm trying to understand. It's very stressful this changes as I was always a happy and bubbly woman. 

Hoping all this will pass soon.

10 likes, 87 replies

87 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Right interesting to know you also get the dry mouth, do you get night sweats as well? Sometimes when I'm going through one of these spells, I wake in the night covered in sweat, like as if I'd been in a sauna! And it's freezing outside, so weird, and I have really vivid intense dreams...I also get the brain fog, constantly walking into rooms forgetting what I needed..causes anxiety when I go out....but then as you say it can then go after a few days, making you wonder what all the fuss was about!

• Posted

Rrrr bless you kadija... I know just how you are feeling, mines been 4 years now, and had my last period in march, but seem to still get those symptoms  before you have a period tho😩..

Sorry to here your boyfriend walked out on you, if that’s how he is, then he don’t have any feelings for you chic, as other wise he would stick by you, it’s not our fault we are having to go through this crap, we never asked for it, yet we have to put up with it, I wish we could give men a dose of what we feel, and see what they do, they wouldn’t cope..

I must admit I’m glad that I live on my own, as if I had a man in my life I think I would of killed him by now 😂...  I to feel like this menopause as taken over me as well, I use to love going out with the girls every weekend, but now I look in the mirror and I’m not the same person any more, 😏 I was suppose to go out for dinner tonite with my daughters but I just can’t be botherd, I just want to be at home, I know we are surpose to push our self to do things, BUT when you don’t want to that’s it, you don’t..

But all the symptom you have point out is just our I feel to, and I have high blood pressure, heart burn, dry mouth, skin so dry I can’t keep up with it, aches and pain in my joints, I’m on antidepressants as I got really bad, and so on, I just hope like you that one day it will all stop, and hopefully feel some what normal, if that will ever happen again, I’d like to think so.. big hug chic, keep talking on here we are all here to help each other out 🤗xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn

big hugs to you and hope you are not feeling too bad today. Woke up feeling better, but bloating and mild abdominal pain, my tummy feels like I'm going to have my period but nothing is happening this month...today no nausea, manage to put up Xmas decoration up, son has booked a table for dinner tonight and hopefully I feel like it. This menopause drains your body of energy, and puts you in some kind of depression. My doctor keeps giving me diazepam but have not taken it as I'm trying to cope without medicine for as much as I can. 

I use to get bad headaches, breast pains, hot flashes, but since taking 1000mg evening primrose oil daily these symptoms have totally stopped. It's been the best meds for me. Now I have to find ways to cope with the nausea. My mum tells me to sip ginger tea, will have to try. 

However my worst symptoms have stopped, it was the migraine headaches and breast pains and tiredness. Now I rarely have these since taking evening primrose capsules. It's also improved my skin which use to be dry and itchy. 

As for my boyfriend I'm not thinking much about the break up as he wasn't understanding of my problems. I'm better off on my own. I'm sure. The breakup also helped with my symptoms as he was stressing me a lot and made me feel down. Now I dont have to think about his issues....lol...

• Posted

Well done kadija, you seem to be a strong lady, and if you are feeling a bit better now your boyfriend as gone, then you must no in your heart it wasn’t right for you then,my friend had breast cancer and her partner left her because of that, what is wrong with these men..

Evening primrose mite have a look in to them after Xmas and give them a try, as my skin feels alfull all the time, so dry..

Hope all goes well for you over Xmas, and you have a good time 

( if you can) as you deserve it, one day hopefully things will be good again, big hug to you, and all the ladies out there going through this crap 🤗xx

• Posted

Hi Dawn

have a lovely Xmas too. We are all here for one another... 

Try the evening primrose, it does help as a few ladies I know going thru  menopause have tried it and it's help them a lot. 

• Edited

Hi Kadija ! 

I’m so happy to finally encounter women that are going through what I’m battling. 

I have been in premenopausal for three years also but, now I really don’t feel well . I too have lost my appetite and am going through anxiety. I’m afraid because I cannot afford to lose weight, I only weigh around 100 pounds ( maybe) I haven’t received my menstration for three months but I feel all the aches and pains . HELP ME GET THROUGH THIS mentally or I’ll go crazy? 

• Posted

Anna

Im here to tell you that not all of us women gain weight during this time.

For me personally i dont know how one can gain weight with the nausea and anxiety pretty much every day.

Women who are thinner they say this hits harder in many ways. 

YOU need to eat more im serious. I at food like a job. I hate it and end up not eating much when you hae adrenalline or depression or anxiety your body simply isnt settled and content and warm and fuzzy. You feel wretched, and the lack of appetite is telling you this.

I wish wish wish i could trade places with any lady who is gaining a little weight because this too think look is really a drag. Its an unhealthy look, drawn, haggard, unwell. People think im doing it on purpose which really is annoying.

overweight any day over underweight.

Please eat though, you cant keep losing. 

x0x0x0x0

• Edited

It's  been 8  months of nausea,  no appetite, dizzying spells,  sweats throughout the day, my hair gets soaked and my upper body  (not sure if they are hot flashes). i have lost 15 lbs in the past 3 months,  just cannot eat  much . nausea the second i wake up,  and most of the day & go back to bed without it .

i see women posting they have had nausea  for years ... i wouldn't survive that long at this rate.  not sure what would be worse weight gain or weight loss.

• Posted

hi sammy

Nausea is awful. I mostly am with out much appetite and take advantage of moments of hunger, and i just mainly get food in me because could also literally would not eat if i could get away with it. (except for unhealthy chips or a recess now and then)

its all mood related/hormonal related. When my mood improves so does my interest in food so its chemical/hormonal.

I used to weigh 130 and its a good weight for me, now im 118 and look icky. im 5 7'

I can only say that i would MUCH rather be over the weight than under by far. I think its healthier and looks better than scrawny and unealthy. Its a scientific fact also that women with more weight survive longer, and have much more estrogen receptors..when your really thin it super hard to deal twith this stuff.

Another symptom that i have that goes with the no appetite is always a dry mouth, no amount of water will quench the thirst or the dry mouth. Its the anxiety and adrenaline that is always running.

x0x0x0

• Posted

thanks mauiblue!

I too am thirsty non stop!  i was convinced  and still am partially that I have some illness until i found the s site! 

I feel like my kids think i am crazy and imagining all these symptoms. 

I still have my period every month. although it is earlier every month. 21 days cycle as apossed to my normal 31 day.  cramps are brutal most months , which i never had previously.   

Any idea of what symptoms may indicate that periods are about to end?

• Posted

Hi Sammy

Sorry for not responding i didnt even see this post until now!

Well i would say for me it was the erratic changes in appetite, thirst, I just became very weird, and confused...

So many of us feel like we have an illness. In a way it is, but its a product of our evolution, and its a very hard time for a good 20% of us. 

Before my periods ended, i had one solid month of bleeding like a stuck pig, bad to the point where i was clotting heavily, and looked like a vampire had spent the night with me, not a pretty sight. After that it was sporadic for 3 months, then poof gone.

We are all different though, ill bet you are nearing the 12 month window.

x0x0x

• Posted

Hi for at of you suffering with nausea, I can recommend motillium - I’ve taken it over the past couple of days and it’s helped and also gave me some appetite back, I’m in Ireland and got it from my pharmacist, who gave me 2 weeks supply, though you can get it online too, it’s just to be used with caution if you have a heart condition. I’m relived I’ve found something that can help me when the nausea gets bad, so hopefully it will help you too x
  • Posted

Hi I'm perimenopause and I've lost around a stone in weight . My appetite is really bad most days . I just forget to eat, or the thought of eating makes me feel sick . I do sometimes worry it's something more serious but I feel fine in myself . I'm 47 and 5' 6 and now under 9st . I have a period every other month . Some times they last up to 3 weeks which is crazy . My sleep as changed to I either can't sleep or I can sleep for England. My mood asnt really changed but I'm not really a moody person so I'm hoping that works in my favour .

• Posted

HI Kadija

Thank you for sharing your problems with us. It has given us all a better view of what may be going on regarding perimenopausal issues.

After reading that a lot of women are trying 5-HTP I decided to buy from the health store and have been taking for about a week. I have found a lot of improvement to my anxiety. I am less teary and able to keep frustration and anger under control. I am really happy I found this forum!

I have booked a well woman appointment for next week and although it will cost me to go private (can't wait for GP dates...too long a wait) I would recommend everyone on this forum to seek medical help to know where to start from as there may be more important underlying problems that need to be addressed.

There isn't any alternative but to suffer....so don't be scared and stop guessing and stressing even more....find a friend to support you through this important time in our lives.

• Edited

HI Kadija and all you lovely ladies!

I know it's a bit late but just have to say I am thrilled to have found this website and your experiences.

I had my peri meno prep couple of months ago with hot flushes and night sweats but I wasn't prepared at all for what came two days ago- chills followed by heat waves and anxiety/panic attacks all together with heart palpitations and shortness of breath, headache, nausea, ear pressure coming so strong that I thought I was having a heart attack!

After rushing to the hospital thinking I may not make it, all became calm,almost normal , apart from shortness of breath and ear pressure that I woke up with the next day and are still lingering.

I have in previous weeks found my self lethargic and depressed and yes, with very dry mouth and tingly eyes.

Also, thank you for posting about loss of appetite, I just couldn't make myself eat, still not really feeling the need to eat now nor food that would tempt me, just having couple if bites around breakfast lunch and dinner time

So much worrying, over thinking , what could it be and mostly about loss of appetite, which btw no one warns you about, quite the opposite, all websites point out one will gain weight when it all begins.

I will see how it goes, but your experience and this website was by far the most helpful thing I found .

Thank you

• Edited

I think they all fail to warn us that with anxiety from our crazy hormones our appetite is effected. Mine has been bad. Food is just not appealing to me at all right now. The minute I feel anxiety consuming me, my stomach immediately gets upset and nervous like. This is a fantastic website. Has helped me coped for sure 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.