Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

All the iron script did for me as a person with IBS-C symptoms (as well as the colofac the GP prescribed) was exacerbate my symptoms actually. The colofac slows your gut motility down, the iron constipates you even further, and the gas build up after this is a nightmare. The antacids lower your stomach acids which then allows opportunistic bad bacterias to build up in your digestive tract and colon... and from there just add sugar and fiber and you have the bloat from hell and a nice big fat leaky gut toboot.

I've completely lost all faith in alopathic medicine here. Hence the reason for all the research and trying to take things that rebuild your system because all that inflammatory stuff puts a stress on your adrenal glands and causes adrenal exhaustion. I found I was so fatigued and in so much pain some days, it was horrendous. To try to "shake myself up" was extremely painful and literally had me causing a lot of injuries.

The main one was frozen shoulder from trying to do so... in fact I rather stupidly threw myself into doing assisted pullups and went into gung ho mode thinking if I ignore this $#!+ and stop being such a pu$$y I'll get better... no pain, no gain... went to the gym, worked on upper body.. and caused a serious injury with shoulder. Had to nurse that back to health with lots of R.I.C.E treatment, rest etc.... nightmare.

Sometimes its a good thing to do, other times it is not. Go by your pain.. if your pain is the type that is NOT alleviated after a few minutes of getting up in the morning and moving around, assume you just need to move around..however, if after 10 minutes of getting up and moving it is still there, do not go gung ho and ignore it. It is more than likely fibro based and could be that you need to start analysing your diet, stress levels, any lack of sleep you have been exposed to ANYTHING that would cause your adrenal glands to be hyperactive (or stress levels to be elevated - anti inflammatory hormones higher etc.

Elevated adrenal hormones such as cortisol can cause weak muscles around joints, so working out in that state can cause injury...you need to get your stress levels down, and inflammation before you go working out again. Inflammation can be due to high omega 6 diet, high trans fast and homogenated fats, high sugar and refined carbs, and also gut inflammation or other food intolerance's, so always get that checked if you cannot pin point what is causing the joint problem and b y all means get estrogen checked, but also don't assume it is only low estrogen alone.

• Posted

Correction:

if your pain is the type that IS alleviated after a few minutes of getting up in the morning and moving around, assume you just need to move around..however, if after 10 minutes of getting up and moving it is still there, do not go gung ho and ignore it.

• Posted

Hi laidir, I can both empathise and commiserate with you. Being homozygous C282Y, I am prone to H.pylori. I was found to have 6 duodenal ulcers in my early 20s. Years later after it was discovered that ulcers are caused by HP, I asked for the test and was found +ve. The treatment, unfortunately, is massive antibiotics. A couple of years later, tested +ve again - another dose. I took probiotics to replace the good bacteria that would have been killed off too. A few years later, I could feel the symptoms again, but the test was negative. A false negative, because I continued to have those symptoms. I did not persevere because i had too much else going on as well. Now, I am suffering badly with it and hopefully I can circumvent the testing procedure and just go straight on to treatment.

At the same time, my husband was diagnosed as homozygous H63D and a few short years later, Hodgkins Lymphoma. He had chemo and radium therapy. He just could not pick up, shake the depression, fatigue and weakness. Finally his dr thought of B12 and my husband was very low, even though I was giving him B12 supps. Apparently the chemo upset the enzymes assoc with the absorption of B12 as well his blood type A made it difficult to absorb B12. The only way he can absorb B12 is by injection - it is an enzyme type. By the second weekly injection, his whole health and mood changed dramatically for the good.

It seemed strange that his ferritin iron level had also stopped increasing after treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma. It was probably from B12 deficiency.

Now, after my husband for years had a persistent cough which had always been treated as sinus, I told dr to forget about sinus and think of another reason. Strangely the dr ordered an endoscopy. The endoscopy found that his stomach was red and inflamed, pathology tests revealed he had HP!! Googling HP and cough did reveal this was a symptom - quite different to my symptoms which were more like yours.

HP is contageous and can be transferred by kissing.

Now I have also checked on celiac disease for a couple of members of my haemochromatosis support group. It appears to be quite common among the Irish and while their celiac disease is not treated and they are bleeding from the stomach and intestines from the severe inflammation it causes, they become anemic. Then when they bring it under control, they suddenly start loading iron in their organs because they also had Haemochromotosis!

One in 80 Irish people are homozygous Haemochromatosis and also just as many have celiac disease. Quite a converse and complex problem.

I am hoping that after the treatment of HP I will not have such a fatigue and joint pain problem - let alone the terrible pain in the gut which causes me to feel full too soon, bloat up painfully, and the sharp pains of ulcers. At times I feel quite toxic despite my healthy diet because obviously, I have developed a histamine intolerance. HP prevents me from absorbing the nutrients. I have also been ingesting coconut oil, which is said to be anti bacterial, anti fungal, etc., and manuka honey. Also take calcium, magnesium and vit B12, plus others. Of course, it did not stop the progress of HP but perhaps every little bit helps. I can't get DGL in Australia. I do drink a tea that has licorice root, fennel, mint, and anise in it and I will seek out mastic gum, but quite frankly I know the only once and for all treatment (till next reinfection) are special antibiotics and I am hanging out for it.

I hope you have been tested for HP and Celiac. Good luck with your attempts to fight your symptoms.

• Posted

Wow, I am so glad to have found this thread, as only today I have been to the doctor and felt I was wasting their time. I have had painful and stiff joints in my knees, hips, back and neck for nearly a year and it has begun to really worry me.

Like many on here I'm convinced I have a serious illness, and this whole concept of worrying is frightening and making me feel very low.

I am 57 years old, with two younger sisters and no one to compare symptoms like mine. I've not had many flushes, but quite a lot of night sweats. My periods have gone, albeit an occasional small spot of blood every 3- 4 months

The practice nurse sent me for hormone tests after talking at a recent smear test, and I said I had some pain around my right ovary, likening it to ovulation pains. I also explained about joint pains and tender breasts. The hormone test today has shown that I am EARLY menopause.......and I'm 57....how long does it go on!!!!

I have been worried as my youngest sister, now 50, was diagnosed with breast cancer at 36 in the year 2000, and although has been clear since, we await results next month of genetic testing for the 'brca1 & brca2' gene to see if it is hereditary as others have had related cancers in our family. She's had tests for ovarian cancer too and that wonderfully came back negative.

However I cannot help but worry as i've had these pains for ages and the doctor is now sending me for a pelvic scan. I so hope that all these pains are just menopause related, and I can either get something to help, or just learn to cope with them. Never mind 57 years, I feel 87 years some days. I cant walk as far as i ever did. My legs feel heavy and stiff. My hips ache if I stand too long and my hands/ fingers dont work sometimes.

I have wanted to cry as I I dont want to worry my sisters with my problems as they are worried enough awaiting the Brca tests.

I will keep looking on here to see if I can learn something, and any tips on herbal help.

• Posted

Hi.  I am 56 have the heavy leg thing, hip joint pain, foot pain so bad sometimes I just have to stand there frozen until the pain stops.  I also have low back pain so standing for long periods is out of the question.  It is all very depressing.  I also get shooting pains in my leg.  Life is not fun any more.
    • Posted

Hi Heather,

I am Beth 56 yrs old live in usa and have all the same symptoms.  this has been going on since 48 yrs.  It seems my life is over.  so sad.  disabled

• Posted

Hello. I have had joint pain and stiffness for over a year. I even had lower back surgery and I am doing better now but the knee pain and stiffness has not gone away. I am on a diet now to loose another 15 lbs. to see if that helps but I do not think it will.

I would like to know if HRT has worked for anyone with stiffness and join pain. We all comment about HRT but no one says whether it has worked. I am anxiously waiting a response from someone please.

Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Kensington,

You mention that you're on a diet, stick with it, it will help. If you can face it, try cutting out (or cutting down) sugars and grains and alcohol. I've done this and it makes a huge difference

• Posted

Hi. I am 48 years old and was told when I was 47 after having a blood test, that my thyroid was normal but that that I was peri menopausal.

I have not had any night sweats YET or hot flushes. Instead I am extremely cold all the time and I am talking chilled to the bone. Also I am having palpitations.

But my main concern is the unbearable joint pains I am enduring. It started in my right arm about eight months ago. When I am bedded for the night things get much worse when I go to turn or change position. I feel that all my joints are so tight that they could break at any moment. Everything seems so heavy as if huge boulders have been attached to my body. My right arm is now useless and the exact thing is now happening to my left arm and knee joints. My neck feels as if I have whiplash injuries. Even all the little joints of my fingers are affected and my jaw bone.

My MALE doctor put me on HRT prempac C which consists of two hormones. I had attended doc previously with severe pain in my right side during ovulation. When I took the HRT for a month I was doubled in two with lower stomach pain and had to stop HRT. I was sent to the hospital twice and they found nothing abnormal with my ovaries during the scans.

Also I have had blood tests for arthritis and alls back normal and clear. I am now on hospital waiting list for rhuemotolegy for over six months. My doctor won't refer me as he said their are other patients more needy than me. I think he feels that its all in my mind and I will just have to wait.

I feel like a cripple. I have an eight year old daughter and I feel like a let down to her. I can barely hug her as she hurts me too much.

Don't know how to get out of this situation.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

So sorry for all you are going through and the pain you are feeling.  I am in the exact same position, but a little farther along in the process than you are.  About a year and a half ago, I started with the horrible joint pain in every joint in my body.  I had done nothing different and when I went to the doctor in horrible pain, he told me I had Synovitis and it could not possibly have anything to do with menopause.  I was perimenopausal at the time.  In a few months time, the pain went away as mysteriously as it started, but then, when I was in the final stretches of a year without a period, it started up again with a vengeance.  I had all kinds of arthritis tests and everything came back clear.  I too, waited months to see a rheumatologist and they could find nothing in their tests either.  She told me I had pain from overuse of my joints.  Again, I had not done anything differently.  I then started researching onlne and came across this forum and other sites and this is caused by the low and depleting estrogen during menopause.  I have seen it called Menopausal Arthritis and Menopausal Tendonitis.  I am now getting medical massage, which is helping and using Kumbo Butter mixed with Shea Butter that I rub into the joints.  That does seem to be helping a lot.  The doctor and rheumatologist will still not say that this is from menopause, but I KNOW it is.  It happened when my changes happened.  I have always had healthry pain free joints before this so what else could it be from?  After a solid 6 months of horrible pain everywhere, where I could barely move, it is getting better.  I am hoping I go back to normal before too much damage is done to my joints.  For me, HRT was not an option because I developed other strange symptoms with my menopause change.  A long story, which I have posted previously and not pleasant.  I won't go into that all again.

I just wanted to say to hang in there.  The rheumatologist, when you finally get to see them, is probably not going to find anything or have anything new to tell you.  In fact, they may even not believe this is from menopause, but I have a good friend, who is a Dr. of Pharmacology, and he said many,many women have this joint problem during menopause and for a good amount of time after the change.  He has seen and treated a lot of women with success.

I am trying to hang in there.  Hope you can too and your pain gets better.  Good luck.

Kandie

• Posted

Hello Helen,

I have the HRT patches here at home as well as Progesterone Caps. I am waiting to finish loosing the weight so that I can isolate that the pain did not get better because I lost the weight. As soon as I get to the target weight I will start on the HRT and see if this helps. I have had all kinds of test and they come back normal.

What I do not understand is that after all the complains and stories here from women why no one has posted any kind if resolution to this pain. For how long does this pain last? Does HRT really take the pain away, this is what I am going to find out in a month or two.

• Posted

Hello Helen,

From my experience it seems that they try to blame everything on weight.  I will agree that it is a factor but there are thin people with the same symptoms.  hang in there.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.