Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Maca is just a natural root vegetable and I'm sure it would not affect medication. I use it in powder form and put two teaspoons in water mixed with apple cider vinegar and some "no added sugar" pineapple juice. You can also get it in tablet form if that's easier. It's cheap too.

Seriously natural is the way to go, all these years we listen to doctors who put us on birth control, which messes with our own natural happy hormones. We add these sinthetic hormones to the mix and no wonder we go through so much crap.

The pill has been proven to cause depression in women, and other forms of contraception like Mirena, Depo and Implanon all cause your body to stop producing progesterone completely as it's supplied fake sinthetic progesterone from the device or injection. When you come off these sorts of contraception it can take months or even years to kick start your production of progesterone again. No wonder we stuff up our hormones with the crap we put it through. And then doctors suggest HRT etc, which just makes it worse in the long run.

I seriously believe natural is the way to go. Vitex has been a saviour for me. Within hours of taking it my sore aching boobs stopped aching and within a few weeks my pms symtpoms, moodiness, anxiety and bloating disappeared. Maca has boosted my energy levels and libido (which really didn't need boosting LOL) and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

The the hills of Peru, the women there do not go through any menopause symptoms apart from their period stopping. This is from years of eating the Maca root vegetable. It has to tell you something, right?

Good luck ladies - I hope at least one person benefits from my words.

Take care and remember - we are all Goddesses for putting up with this crap :-)

• Posted

I too improved from using much more water, unfiltered apple cider vinager, chia, flax, ginger, raw red onion and red wine. Never heard about Maca, though.  Thanks for the tip. Lol, I am not feeling much like a Goddess yet but feeling better smile 
  • Posted

I am suffering debilitating joint pains as the perimeonpause moves into the full menopause.

I believe women who suffer worse in this way are more at risk of osteoporosis post menopause - so way to go for me is hrt Evorel Sequi and the Conti.

The pain is very under rated - when physicians do not find evidence of arthritis they think women are just

attention seeking hypochondriacs. So wrong - just want to get on with life.

• Posted

I was given one of those looks yesterday like I am out of my mind after I described my symptoms.
    • Posted

Don't think it has to be with osteoporosis, once the pain is on the joints, it would make more sense if it was related to arthrosis and artrites.  But I hope there is no relation.  Well, we always can take calcium to prevent osteoporosis, but there is not we can do about artrites and arthrosis, besides taking care of we eat!
  • Posted

I want to share an update in hopes it will help.

I posted on this forum recently at a time when I was at the end of my ability to tolerate extreme pain around my joints (ligaments/tendons). It was the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. It began midway through my final year of perimenopause, with little relief from OTC pain medication.

I am now 90% better and it happened almost overnight when I started following a strict anti-inflammatory diet. It hasn't been easy to make such a drastic change because I want to eat whatever pleases me, whenever I want it. But, after a week or two of dying to my fleshly desires I am able to say it is not as difficult as it was at the start -- and the benefits outweigh the sacrifices, if they indeed are "sacrifices".

Basically, I've GREATLY reduced my intake of sugar, salt, some red meat (bacon), eggs, most dairy (except a bit of cheese and yogurt), caffeine, etc.

I've GREATLY increased my daily consumption of vegetables, fruits, water, decaf tea, fish, chicken, etc.

The pain improved almost immediately, hot flashes have lessened dramatically, and crushing tiredness is gone.

Personally, I prefer a first defense of good food to help my body systems run more efficiently.

Friends and family are amazed at how I've changed in such a short time. I've been eating this way for two weeks now and the improvement is astounding.

It's easy to find info on anti-inflammatory eating plans on the web. I don't want to post a link and appear to be promoting a book or health care provider.

I feel nearly completely normal again: I've resumed playing piano and autoharp because my hands don't hurt anymore. I haven't been able to enjoy walking for recreation for months: today is sunny and warm and I plan to head outside and enjoy the weather.

This forum helped me cope, and was integral in helping me find the solution to my pain. I hope this post helps even one person.

• Posted

This isso good to know.  I feel much better, too. I belive it is not only the change in the food but our bodies take a time to adjust to the lack of hormons.  It may take more or less time, but I believe it happens and we feel better.  And with the right food, I think everything will be alright.  Have you tried apple cidar vinegar?  It worked very well for me smile.  Thanks for your posting.
  • Posted

Thanks for sharing this. I do occasionally do a few days of juicing fruit and veg, which also cuts out the things you mention. I always find the pain much better after this so I am sure that what you say is spot on. X
  • Posted

Hi Everyone,

I agree completely with the last two posts, I've posted before on cutting out sugar. The pain is simply intolerable when I eat badly. I also cut out grains (wheat etc) as they are far too acidic. Basically an anti inflammatory diet is an alkaline diet.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the advice about the anti-inflamatory diet. I'm going give it a go. my joint aches not too bad, but I'm just 50 and prevention better than cure mum always said!

but no bacon..that may be hard!! love a butty on sundays smile

• Posted

Hi Ladies

I've finally managed to ditch the aches and pains (only slight pain at the moment which I can easily live with). The GP has prescribed Gabapentin 100mg x3 a day. Well I was very doubtful but after three weeks I have managed to actually sit on the floor and get up!!! Strange comment but prior to that the pain in my knees made me crawl along the floor to find the nearest surface to lift myself up. Walking was a nightmare (like walking on bones). And finally my hands were a mess - pain all the time. The stiffness in my hands and feet in the morning was unbearable. Now I can actually get straight out of bed and walk off the stiffness quickly. My hands are so much better in the morning. I'll update you all in due course in case anything changes.

Take care

• Posted

Hello

It's been reassuring to read many of these posts. My cycle is beginning to become erratic . I'm 51 and keep as healthy as I can(yoga,dancing, running 2 miles a day) and eat very well with loads of fruit and veg and no red or processed meat. With the most recent late period came the most debilitating joint pain. If it had been a weekday I couldnt have gone to work. Could I have some more information on the anti-inflammatory diet if anyone would be willing to share?

Many thanks..

• Posted

Anti inflammatory diet involves cutting down or cutting out foods that cause inflammation within the body, sugar is one of the main culprits along with wheat and dairy for some. There are some others too. It's worth googling and having a read. You may be able to make a few changes without too many problems. I will try anything at this stage and it all makes sense. Basically you eat fresh, whole foods and cut out all the rubbish. Hope this helps. Good luck. Xx
  • Posted

Hello Lube62,

Don't forget that fruit can be full of sugar, you'd do better replacing it with more veg. Anti inflammatory diets recommend a 80:20 ratio of alkaline to acid, so your plate should have less meat or fish on it. Salmon is a great source of Omega 3, I also take fish oil supplements.

PS Tinned fish is supposed to be quite acidic so you're better off using fresh or frozen.

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.