Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Lesley, and all the Ladies

Lesley - thanks so much for strarting this discussion - i don't know what my current state of mind would be if i did not see this! It gave me hope. I am so sorry to hear about your tough times and hope all your calamities are over now and lots of happy times ahead!!!

Ladies, i will keep you posted - and definitely will circulate the diet - my Mum found it and promised to send it to me (she says it's tough though) apparrently no cakes as wheat not allowed etc. Papaya fruit is a necessary part, and broccoli no good (?!)

Keep well,

kat

• Posted

I Kat,

Interesting what you said about broccolis, I have not had problems with it neighter with pineapple and tomatoes, too. But I am definitely avoiding all sugars, carbs and fats.  And it is working smile

• Posted

Hi all. Thought I would update you with my latest trip to the doctors this morning. Very positive so relieved. I had a few questions and he was open to listening to all of them. I asked about my recent ferritin result which although was 'satisfactory' at 24 it was toward the lower end of the scale. He said that for ladies who suffer problems such as hair loss , and I have had a few patches over the past few yrs it is recommended that the level could go up as high as 70. So he was absolutely fine about me taking a bit of iron to boost the levels. He also understood my reluctance to try more prescription drugs so soon after coming off the last lot and has given me the prescription so I can see how things go over the next week or so and take it if I need to for the pain. Going to try and do without if at all possible. I mentioned about fibromyalgia and he wasn't dismissive at all and said that the things I have could come under the umbrella of fibromyalgia as could IBS and a lot of other things. He has recommended me trying some Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to help me cope with the pain better as he feels it can be really helpful. He's recommended a couple of books and a website. He doesn't want me to get too caught up by what I have and focus more on what to do to help it. He was really positive about the dietary changes I have made and I was so happy to hear this from a GP. I feel able to talk to him now about all different aspects of this without thinking he will consider me a crackpot. I mentioned to him that I had read about taking malic acid with magnesium to help pain (apparently it occurs naturally in apples) and he said. It would do me no harm at all so give it a go. All really positive stuff. So pleased to have found a GP who is open to all this. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma,

that's really positive, I don't know about you but I sometimes feel so down when I talk to a doctor who dismisses me and my problems. The therapy he has recommended sounds interesting. Last year when I was in a lot of pain i actually tried hypnotherapy as drugs were making me worse, and it was quite effective. The pain was there but it bothered me less. I would definitely try it again if I had a big problem.

• Posted

Kerry , anything is worth a try I think and his words were, ' my job is to make sure thAt what you do isn't going to cause you harm and I'm happy that the things you are putting in place won't do that' . He understood what I said about not wanting to go back on prescription drugs unless I have to. He suggested the books etc after checking if I like to read and I told him I love to read and find stuff out for myself. He said sometimes if I suggest it to people they just look at me and say no I'm not interested , just give me the pills. I think we now understand each other. It makes me feel so much less frustrated 
  • Posted

Wow, how great to have a good GP!  I am sorry to sound negative...but my experience with GP's was not a good one, and I remember leaving the surgery on more than one occasion feeling stupid, belittled, hysterical, hypochondriacal...you name it, I felt it.    I also felt extremely scared and alone.  I was brought up to trust and look up to the police, my teachers ... and the doctor!   After all, they were the professionals who were supposed to help me.  So when I was faced with scorn and patronising pats on the head, when it came to a real condition which I KNEW I was not imagining, and was in great pain, it completely scuppered my confidence and belief in the system.   Thank goodness I found a Nurse Practitioner who understood me.  Sadly, my sister was also let down by the 'system'.  I guess they are only human after all.

Listen to your symptoms, and dont take medical 'waffle' for an answer!     

• Posted

Thanks Lesley. I too have had poor GP experiences, this is my 4th attempt. I was quite apprehensive about asking him about nutritional stuff and more holistic approaches but he was very open to my suggestions and had some of his own. Definitely worth shopping around I think if you don't 'gel' with a particular GP. Felt more encouraged todaysmile. Glad you have found a good nurse who will listen and advise. It's bad enough feeling rubbish without having someone think you're making it up or exaggerating.  I had to ring one GP to ask about a recurring bout of vertigo and he basically told me to google it! Another one told me my pain was a virus and it would just calm down eventually and when I mentioned meno stuff he said, if it gets too much come back and I'll sort you out some HRT!no discussion, explanation anything. Unbelievable. Xx
    • Posted

Sad to say, I have being losing my confidence in doctors along the time, too sad. Things are getting better by themselves and I will not be going back to a doctor so soon, if it depends on me.  Need to find a new gynecologist for the one I was seeing just looked at me in disbelive when I said about the 35 known symptoms of menopause.  It looks like for her only hot flushes and irregular periods are signal of it :S. And that comming from a woman - she should know better.
    • Posted

The automatic response to write a 'script is very frustrating. Do drs really not realize or care about the side effects of some of these meds? If you spend any time reading the brochures that come with the pills, you sure don't want to take them due to the additional trouble they could cause. I realize that there are times you simply must have relief, however, you can add insult to injury with more meds. I see a chiropractor who is a lovely woman and she gives me ideas on how to naturally assist my body in healing. She has NEVER raised her eyebrows when I tell her something hurts or feels bad. She gets to work and helps me! 
    • Posted

Hi Lesley so sorry to hear about your sister and your other troubles. I am due to see rhumatologist on 23rd and have acumpcture tomorrow, I am hoping that rhumatologist can give me some stronger pain relief as it is getting me down. I am seeing him on NHS but will ask him if there is anything he can do for me in his private clinic which I cant obtain on NHS as there may be things NHS wont fund.

I do hope you are keeping well and good wishes to you and your brother-in-law and nephew.

Louisa

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I realise you posted this a long time ago but I googled my symptoms and this was the first thing that came up.

It's like I wrote it myself.  I started off with the left elbow and it just spread around to shoulders etc.  The worst is the knees as most things that you do involve standing or walking....

All the symptoms started just after Xmas.  I had to go to the hospital a couple of months ago as I hurt my knee and damaged a ligament and the doctor there gave me anti-inflamatories to take.  I felt much better but as soon as I stop taking them all the symptoms reappear and now they are worse.  I stopped taking the tablets 3 days ago and this morning I could hardly walk down the stairs. 

I went to see my GP last week (I live in SPain) and she just told me to lose weight and that it has nothing to do with the menopause. I feel so frustrated as I know I am overweight but I have always been quite fit and supple and this has come so suddenly.  I am waiting for blood test results which I go back for next week.  I was hoping not to have to have HRT as so far (fingers crossed) I haven't had any other symptoms.  How are things with you now?  did you find a helpful solution?

• Posted

Lesley- I am from the US. I am 47 mom of four with hypothyroidism, taking prescription for the low thyroid. I have been having perimenopause symptoms for over a year. I have to say when I read this post, I nearly wept. You have described my entire experience, including the "whooshing"!  NO ONE has ever understood what I am talking about!! My GP is very kind and he does try to empathize, but until he grows a uterus, it will never be real to him.

I have also been having odd pain in my leg, an ache, like you and many others have described. I, too, have frightened the life out of myself and my husband, thinking it's a blood clot, osteoporosis, or the good Lord knows what. It really had not occurred to me about it being related to the hormone changes. I was planning what to do once I was diagnosed with some awful crippling ailment. How silly. I have had so many symptoms- known and undetermined- if I were to tell them all to my Dr, he would probably commit me to a rehab unit somewhere.    :D

Thank you for sharing your story. You have no idea how relieved I am to know there is another woman in the world who knows what in the world I am talking about!!  I am going to read more.  Best wishes Lesley-

Kay

• Posted

Hi Millette, I was reading your message and I could relate, and now, smile a little. Yep, I felt absolutely the same, that I should have something really bad, specially because the doctors kept giving me some scary tests.  After all the (fortunately) negative results and the disbelieving looks from the doctors, I feel that it is just a phase, we have to change our diets, take some supplements and eventually it will get over. Regards.
    • Posted

Thank you for your response. I have a very kind doctor, however, he has not lived what I am talking about. I am going to find a female doctor who can help me AND relate to what I am going through. I have tried to make changes in my diet, exercise more and relieve stress when I can. I am a mother of four and a full-time student, so stress is definitely a factor. Thank goodness my older sister has already made the menopause journey, so she understands a lot of what I am saying. But it really made me feel so much better to know that women all over the world are knowing what I am going through in the United States!!
    • Posted

Millette, I felt the same when I found this website. I nearly cried. All the posts are like copy and paste of mine! Lots of thanks to Leslie for making such an effort (while in pain) and starting this blog!

Be careful with exersise - take advice because it can do harm rather than help in our condition, I read about it somwhere and running was definitely bad. swimming definitely good. Take care, K

• Posted

I have increased my amount of exercise, but no running. It hurts my legs and I do not enjoy what it does to my breasts...ugh!  I use an elliptical machine, ride my bike and swim in our pool. I love the swimming best of all. I have an exercise ball that I use and I like that, too.

My family sees our chiropractor regularly since our insurance plan covers a set amount of visits per year. It has helped keep my spine in shape and has drastically reduced the amount of antibiotics I take for sinus infections. I haven't taken any for an infection in over 3 years. I didn't understnad chirpractic treatment at first and I was very nervous about it. Now, I love it! I don't know if countries other than the US have the same kind of treatment we have here. I will say that there are a couple of methods for adjustments: the Gonstead and Gage methods. Our chiropractor uses the Gage method. She is as gentle as she can be and very loving as a person. There is no medicine involved, which I love best of all. Honestly, I am very scared of taking medication. I do take the  thyroid medicine because I felt so bad until I started taking it and got things under control. Other than that, I do not take anything pharmaceutical. I really want to keep it that way.

Best wishes to everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.