Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I have just been to the doctors this evening - I can't do the night sweats any more and wanted to discuss HRT. At the end of our chat I asked if she might take a look at my shoulder - totally unrelated - I thought!!! but the pain has been constant and sometimes excruciating particularly at night. She told me it was probably due to the fact that I had recently moved house with all the lifting etc, and continue taking the ibuprofen.

She gave me this site to look at regarding information about menopause etc and I couldn't believe it when I stumbled across your comments! I thought it seemed a bit strange that the shoulder / neck pain seemed to start at around the same time as the sweating!!

Thanks so much for the posts - it makes sense now. Will have to enlighten my GP at next appointment!

Karen

• Posted

At least your doc did not look at you as you were crazy!
    • Posted

Karen

Menopace original helped me no end - probably the Vit D Clcium., Magnesium in it. When I say I ached, I'm not kidding.

Surprised your GP didn't suggest a blood test for Vit D deficiency, baring in mind you were discussing HRT?!

BIG high Five that she suggested you access this site: the saviour of us all:-) !

Maybe give the Menopace a try? Its my new BFF and whether I go get some HRT in the future, I'll still take it as I've felt so much better for it. Even managed to do the gardening without feeling like death the day after - or should I say 'fortnight after'!!!

As I will probably be moving house later this year, I'll make sure I keep up the use! Enjoy your new home:-)

Sx

• Posted

Wondered if you were still taking the Menopace.  I want to give it a try but have read that it can affect your stomach and someone even said it made their anxiety worse.
    • Posted

Hi Karen I can relate to the shoulder thing mine started about two weeks ago thank God I found Lesley post because doc said I had bursitis I just never experienced this feeling it gets warm at times it doesn't have bad pain just aches a lot hope your getting better hugs

• Posted

hi everyone... i googled joint pain and this post popped up and its given me so much advce so thank you smile ... the joint pain i've been suffering wit hhas been terrible the last few weeks first started in my shoulder and now its almost all over, the only difference i have is that im only 22, but i've been thinking since i had my son nearly 2 years ago that my hormones have been all over the place, i've been disonosed with PMS, and my monthly's are now irregular but before i had my son they were so regular i knew exacly what day i was due. i can now ask my GP about it thanks smile Natalie
    • Posted

Sweetie:

At your age you need to find an expert doctor or pharmacist in hormones.  You are way too young to put up with this nonsense.  The rest of us are older and to some extent we expect this messy business.

All of us could give you  list of supplements and other meds we have used but you are way too young to be getting into things you may not need.  A good blood test, a saliva test for hormones is probbly a good idea, can't hurt.

Take care and don't procrastinate, this is advice from the lead procrastinator of all time.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Karen8

Might be worth having a look here too for more info - same site as this, different discussion board.

[url=patient.info/forums/discuss/menopausal-frozen-shoulder-36995?page=0#comment-87983]patient.info/forums/discuss/menopausal-frozen-shoulder-36995?page=0#comment-87983[/url]

• Posted

Hi karen8

Might be worth having a look at the 'Adhesive Capsulitis' board on this site. Just enter it into the search box in patient discussions. In there is a thread called 'Menopausal Frozen Shoulder' which will give you more info. (I tried to post direct a link but the site would'nt let me!)

• Edited

Hi I'm extreamly glad I found this thread, I was diagnosed with PM when I was 38 I was put onto hrt

And I stopped taking it a few weeks ago I'm now 42 and have the same symptoms with

The joints as well as stomach, I also have M.E. which I have had since 1991. Which the symptoms

With that are also the same, and I get told by doctors its just the m.e. but you know

Your own body and this is different, I also have the hot flushes whilst u was on the

Hrt but off it I don't,

I am having test for lack of vitamin d, which also gives the symptoms, but reading here

I think I'll ask my doctor about this, the doctor never really explained the menopause to me

Just said you have it and you can't have any more children. I had to explore the internet

For answers, still not a 100℅ sure on it all, and find myself crying a lot and feeling as if

I'm going mad. so I'm so glad to find this is kinda normal. And also sorry

To you all for the fact you all have to go through the same. Hope you all get well

And the help you need. Thanks

Clare

• Posted

Hi Clare

No, you are not going mad. menopause is something all women have to go through...I just wish it was more well know what absolute hell it can be for some women. So many people suffer pain and worry and their GP's do not link it to menopause. You will find your GP is either sympathetic to it...or completely dismisses any connection between joint/tendon pain and menopause/hormone fluctuations. I personally have noticed changes for the better on HRT - in other words, I am not crippled anymore - but HRT has not been a magic wand. There needs to be more research done, us ladies should not have to suffer like this and be made to feel like we are going mad. Good luck x

• Edited

Thank you everyone for making me feel soooo much better, like you all, I have been having excrutiating joint pains. Difference is I was on HRT for 17 years following a hysterectomy at 38, now have been off HRT for 5 years but still hot flushing etc in fact had to give up work as symptoms so bad, and now the joint pains.First in the fingers then feet then shoulder then hip.I thought I was going mad.NSAIDS and paracetamol no help at all.

I find the only thing that really helps is swimming. I am not a very good swimmer but in the water all pains just disappear and even the next day are better.

I am now hoping that all will calm down when my hormones are sorted. I can not face trying any more drugs for this. I caution everyone about long term use of HRT.You are only putting off the inevitable, and for me the cold turkey is definitely worse than the early menopause I would have had.

• Edited

Katie:

I saw a Compound Parmasist yesterday about my hormones.  She deals with men's and women's hormones, travels and speaks on the subject to Med Schools and doctors seminars.

She did recommend swimming, strongly.  Expecially for men with low hormones.  Evidently the exercize is minimal impact, she says swimming uses all the bodies muscles with lots of burnt energy and we will produce some of the hormones through exercize.

Hope she is right, I spent an hour and a half with her and gathered info. that no one has covered.  Women divelope Testasterone, we need it.  I had None.  The list of the things it does for us is endless.  If anyone wants me to go over what I learned let me know.  She was recommended by a doctor at the Loma Linda University that people from all over the world come to utilize.  Look it up to see what you all think.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi Kathy, I was wondering if you could share your doctor information with me. I am in CA. And need a good doctor. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.

Kim

• Posted

Hi Kathy my symptoms are awful. My pains are. Borderline unbearable. I have been waking up 6-12 times a night every night for 3 years. My leg muscles are tight and feel inflamed 24/7. I work as a carer and am on my feet 13.5hrs shifts. I get neck arm and hip pain. I am very interested in your information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.