Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, just wanted to say it's good to hear some positive news for once. I hope all goes well and your joint pain settles down and when the time comes to stop the HRT you have a smooth menopause,good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley at last you have some answers even if it is a disgrace how long it's taken for anyone to take you seriously! sad It's astonishing what menopause can do and I hope you can tolerate the HRT for as long as is necessary. I have made the decision myself to stop Livial after just a week as it seems to be making me depressed and exacerbating some of the aches and pains I have. So back to the drawing board, possibly going the 'natural' route or discuss other forms of hrt when I visit the menopause clinic soon.One of my enduring questions too is what happens when one stops taking hrt particularly if one has been on it for a long time. At the clinic I was assured that the body goes through the process of adaptation even whilst one is taking hrt and therefore eases the transition period but posts I have seen from many women seem to suggest otherwise. Another school of thought says that hrt is only postponing the situation and one is better off going through the changes in ones fifties rather than, say, ones sixties but that depends on how severe the symptoms are. So Lesley I think you are doing the right thing for now, after all, you can't live your life unable to get out of bed! sad(( Good luck to you from now on. kate
  • Posted

Thank you both.

I have to say I am absolutely horrified at how clueless my male GP was - he is supposed to be the 'rheumy' expert of the practice, and yet he absolutely refused to consider any idea that my hormones could be to blame for the pain. He made me feel like a fool for even mentioning it. I pity the next lady of certain age who goes into see him and comes out feeling like a middle aged, anxious hypochondriac.

However... I have to say, even the internet - the place where I find out most things lol - is not exactly awash with information on 'joint pain and menopause'....it can't be that common. But it happens obviously, and the GP in the next office down the corridor new it!Talk about the luck of the draw. Anyway... thank goodness I saw the NP for my smear and got the go ahead to see another GP, or I would still be in that terrible state of pain exacerbated by worry.

I can't say I am totally happy at the thought of HRT. I really didn't think I would ever take it. I was a little smug actually, as, up until the day I was poleaxed by this pain I thought I had done quite well and had escaped any symptoms! No night sweats or flushes. But.....finding out that what I am taking is the 'urine from pregnant mares' in pill form doesn't fill me with joy either, but the way I was feeling last week, I would take a tablet made from the poo of a syphillitic warthog if it made me feel normal again. smile

Kate - I am sorry you feel bad. Can you experiment with patches and creams? I don't know anything about HRT. I just took what was on the prescription, I don't know how the GP worked out what was best for me. As long as I dont have any side effects (probably too early to tell) I will stick to this, but I would probably prefer a patch if I had the choice.

All I know is today, I genuinely feel like a different woman from last week.

Best to you both and stay well x

• Posted

Hi Lesley I have been reading your posts on joint pain as I am suffering same symptoms and have not had a period for about 18 months to 2 years. I have had this joint issue for over a year now and have even had to quit my job. My inflammation levels are high and they are saying it is osteoarthritis, but I am wondering if it is hormonal as nothing has helped. I was wondering if you are still on HRT and how you are doing.
    • Posted

Hi Louisa.  Sorry to hear you are in such pain - I do not how awful it is and I sympathise with you.  I was only on HRT for six months.  It definitely did help my joint pain for a while, which was no coincidence - my joints/tendons were bady affected by the sudden drop in hormones.  I had to come off HRT as it was giving me new migraines and visual disturbances.  The pain did come back, but not as bad...and I have to say, a couple of years on from my first post I am feeling 80% better than I did.  I still have some hip and shoulder pain, and bad cracking and stiffness in my neck, and signs of osteoporisis (loud crunching in joints)   I was very sills as a young girl and was on low fat diets for years - no milk or cheese.  Probably buggered up my calcium levels and my bones. Anyway - to conclude, I don't think the HRT did a LOT to help me, as I have been off it for over a year and feel fine.  I also had NO raised CPR or ESR, no inflammatory markers, no inflammation, heat or redness in the joints.  If your inflammatory markers are high, it does sound to me like you have something other than hormonal issues going on.  I hope you get it resolved.  x  
    • Posted

Hi Lesley thank you so much for your prompt reply I am going back to see my rheumatologist at the end of July as this is getting worse and pain is unbearable. I just need to be out of pain so that I can at least smile again as I am usually a very bubbly person.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

I thought I'd drop you another line after reading your post this evening.

It's all a bit of a lottery with the NHS these days, dear old Dr Finlay and dedicated doctors are generally a thing of the past. I have a couple of nasty conditions that I have to live with and I can assure you I've yet to meet the doctor who knows as much as me about them, a lot of other people say the same.

As to HRT. My sister is in her second year of the HRT patch. She has a very responsible and demanding job and although aways swore she wouldn't succumb to HRT has had to. She became very low with every symptom possible when her menopause suddenly kicked in, she was 53 at the time. You may imagine how it began to affect her work performance and to an extent her home life. Within a few days of starting the HRT she was blooming again and hasn't looked back since. She just says now is more important to her than whatever may not happen in the future because she took it.

I also have a great friend who took HRT for ten years. Her doctor then said she could no longer take it and had let her have it for longer than recommended anyway. She almost immediately went into menopausal shock. At 66 that was not funny and she begged to go back on it but wasn't allowed to.

However the flushes/headaches/general bad feeling/hair loss did slow down after about 6 months, although I think she felt it was a great deal longer than that. She is now nearly 80 and as fit as a flea.

Loads of my friends have tried it, no one actually had any bad reactions or became ill on it. Some gave up quickly and a few soldiered on.

I've never had HRT and had five years of pure hell. I used to wear a tea towel round my neck at work to wipe my face with and dripped sweat onto my keyboard and very embarrassingly used to get off my seat with a wet patch on my skirt. I had to wear black all the time to try and hide it, it was that bad. Looking back I've no idea how I got through it with my creaky painful joints, bright red shiny face and hair stuck to my head. However I did, my colleagues were great and my husband even greater. I used to get through 3/4 nighties a night and slept, when I could sleep that is, on bath towels. Once it started to slow down we had to buy a new mattress and although I still have the odd flush it's all done and dusted. I'm very surprised that I still have a nice skin and look a lot younger than I am, I was expecting to be a wrinkled old prune by now.

I wish I could have taken the HRT and would have done without hesitation- I may have got promoted earlier! I laughed out loud about the warthog bit!!It's nice to talk about it all, even nicer to know it's behind me now.

So whatever happens, whether you stay on the HRT for years or decide to stop and face the music, I promise you one day it will all settle down, unfortunately you will find yourself catagorised in that 'older women' catagory. As I still feel about 6 inside, sometimes I have to have a second look in the mirror as the person looking back at me is someone I'm not sure I know.

My very best wishes to you and Kate, hope all works out for you both - we old girls have to stick together x

• Posted

Thank you so much. It is so heartening to know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Xx
  • Posted

Hello Lesley,

I have been going through peri for about 6 years now-started at 48. I don't know what my mom would have gone through with peri-menopause since she had a hysterectomy(sp) at 41 years old. I beleive she was on HRS at the time too. I was worried when I got this joint/muscle pain that I was getting the arthritis my mom has now and what my grandmother had (my mom's mom). My grandmother passed away at age 83 because she had osteoarthritis and would take aspirin constantly for the pain. She finally died of a bleeding ulcer from the aspirin.

I work in a warehouse, where I am expected to lift over 40 lb objects and some are much more than that. I already had a documented disability with depression and when perimenopause hit, it hit the depression really hard. I am getting special accommodations on my job, but one of the core duties of my job is to be able to lift at least 40 lbs and deliver mail and packages. I have been trying to get another job, where I can just sit at a computer and get up every once in a while and stretch.

Now the reason why I am writing is because it feels like I am not the only one out there with this joint pain. My boss was gone for a few days last week and I really had a lot of items to pick up and deliver and I did over do the lifting. I started feeling bad on a Friday and the next weekend I was hurting in my ankles, some knee pain, wrists, shoulders and lower back. I just felt awful during the next whole week. I would just come home and not really feel like eating, which a big thing for me not to be hungry, and would just lay on the couch as my whole body was just aching like when you have a cold or flu. I spent the whole next weekend on the couch. I felt better to come to work on the next Monday, but I still have the incredible soreness going. I have been experiencing my muschles getting tighter when I try to stretch as I have always try to do. I figured it was because of the lack of the hormones in my system. The OBGYN Physcian's Assistant put me on progerterone for 14 days of the month to help my mood swings (that were not helping my job situation either.)

I called my PA about this pain and she called back and said "we never heard of this problem with anyone in perimenopaus, so go to your regular GP. They do not seem to want to deal with anything that is other than hot flashes or mood swings. As many women mentioned, some doctors or PAs think you are a basket case and crazy things other than the "normal" perimenopausal are the only things they deal with. So closed minded or they just do not have time for this, I don't know.

I am trying to take some natural herbs and other remedies I can research, along with eating better and exercising. I have read many places where it states that the older you get, the more you should still keep active, maybe adjust activity to what you can do and not overdo it. It does hurt to move and we all get stiff from non-movement, but I still don't want to be lifting heavy packages and furniture as I have been doing since I got this job when I was 46. At 46, it was not too bad, but now I might get a not too estatic reaction to my problems with lifting items and help with getting another job. Jobs are hard to find now and my company has been trying to help me, but they just might think I am trying to get out of doing my job and not believe me even with a doctor's note, since I have gone through a lot because of the mood swings and they have been very good to me by providing some accommodations which have helped. Taking the progesterone seems to have helped the horrible crying moodswings and depression along with the anit-depressants I take. If I tell my supervisors I have this problem, they may either get angry with me or take me off the job right away instead of wait and help me get another job. In my situation I can request to have another job that I am qualified for as a non-competative candidate, but that does not mean that I will get another job. So I am between a rock and a hard place with the pain and still having to lift heavy objects everyday. I can't lose my job as my husband is disabled with a hearing loss.

But the main idea of this web site is to see what other women are experiencing and I really appreciate what everyone has shared, it helps immensely. I will keep following everyone's responses and if I find anything that works, I will mention it also.

Thank you all so much and I hope everyone has a better experience or finds a way to relate to it differently so that it won't be so hard. Good thoughts to all of you!

• Posted

Hello everyone

Firstly can I offer my sincere thanks to all of you as prior to reading your blogs ( by chance while playing with my new Xmas toy) I really was getting very worried & stressed that I had some kind of major illness.

History - like all of you I am at that age (51) when you know the menopause is around the corner so just get To get on with life I have always been good for my age , not overweight , do not smoke or drink heavily but over the past few years have developed a number of common systems - mainly night sweats , tiredness,headaches, weight gain and for about 2 years jount pain - I first approached my GP about 2 years ago when it got so bad that I was unable to move my left arm. ) I was then referred to a caropractioner whom I visitedevery week for a year. The systems lessened but did not go away .

Then last year I went through a very stressful personnel trauma that resulted in living with the pain via any painkiller I could get m hands on i even started to think I was going mad as the pain was moving around my joints ( my GP 's face tells me that he thinks I am making this up) but that is not the case.

I still have the night sweats & at present the pain isi in my right shoulder & is worse at night or if I do any exercise or even lift my arm up suddenly.

But now I have read what you have wrote I have researched peri menopause & my symptoms of joint pain is not in my mind and is actually there I feel that I now want to see what I can do to decrease my symptoms

1 thing at this stage I do want to pass on is ( my children think I'm mad ) is that for about a week now I have slept with a cold wet flannel wrapped around my shoulder joint - this I have then covered with a drytowel to stop the pillows getting wet and also had to hand another cold wet flannel for my head - the pain has decreased enough to allow me to sleep until the night sweats start but the cold flannel has reduced the. timespan so at least I have got some sleep.

And no pain killers so far

So ladies fingers crossed we can do this & thank you all so much

Debi

• Posted

Debi,

Hi....what I think you have is what I have also been diagnosed with...and this is a frozen shoulder, or 'adhesive capsulitis'. There is a board here for it which I have also posted on!! I now cannot move my left arm more than a couple of inches in any direction. It is agony at night. Sudden movements cause complete agony for a moment where think I am going to pass out (I almost slipped on ice the other day, put both arms out to balance as you do and got this pain so bad I thought I was going to be sick.) Hanging up washing, drying my hair, even washing under my arms is difficult as I have such limited movement from the shoulder. I am getting physio for it, but it can take a looong time to go away. I advise you to read up on it.

MY GP tells me it is probably because of the low estrogen and how it affects my tendons. Some women (like us) are particularly prone to tendonitis from menopause...it is more the tendons causing the pain than 'joint' pain. it is absolutely hellish. I am now on double strength hormones, and I have to say I do feel an improvement in the rest of my body, although this frozen shoulder is still very sore.

Sending my best wishes to all who have posted...and Jane, I feel so sorry for you in a lifting job. There is NO WAY I could lift with this pain. it is all I can do to type!!

• Posted

Hi guys, I hope you're still seeing these posts because I'm desperate for answers! I'm having joint pain too, also Lowe back hurting all of. Sudden, elbows, neck. I have a continuous light-headed feeling, dry skin (burning), dry eyes and mouth. About 5 months ago my mouth started hurting like crazy. I've had so many doctors/dentist look and they don't see anything. They diagnosed me with burning mouth syndrome. One of the reasons woman get this is lack of hormones. Only one doctor (ENT) said these were all menopause symptoms. The other doctors think I'm crazy. I was on a low dose hormone patch but have me big brown patches on my skin so stopped taking it. A new gyno put me on birth control pills and I'm on my 2nd week and no change. Seems each day I'm getting a new symptoms. The anxiety of all this is horrible!! I'm always thinking I'm dying of a horrid disease!! I'm almost 51 years old.

I hope all of you are finding relief!!!!

Thanks so much

• Posted

Hi Mary

I too was aching like mad, joints killed me. Namely L shoulder that started creeping down to L elbow, between shoulder blades, knees, neck. I 'clicked' all the time. Don't laugh, I even had a big problem with the joint in my big toe for yonks, couldn't wear shoes with heel as couldn't bend foot into the shoe! I'm not saying I'm tottering around now on pole-dancer's shoes, but I can actually move that toe for first time in years without pain:-)

Had enough of feeling like the walking dead, so bought myself some Menopace Original vit/min supplements......What a bloody God send!!

Felt their benefit within weeks! Can only imagine that I was totally depleted in EVERYTHING to have benefitted so much.

Remember doing a big stint of gardening last Autumn before I had thought of getting anything to help my aches - put me out of action for a couple of weeks as my lower back/hips were killing me.

Did the gardening again on Tuesday with a bit of trepidation...... brilliant! I haven't ached at all:-) !

As far as I'm concerned, I'll be taking Menopace for ever now. Maybe have a read up on them to see if they could help you too.

Sx

• Posted

Hi Mary, just like you and Shaznay, I had all of the syptoms you describe.I was recently diagnosed with adenomyosis, if you google you will see... I had mirena coil fitted, and feel as good as new ever since lol

I am jogging every day now - I used to crawl around in pain, and this would be unthinkable a month ago!

I had hip/lower back/neck/jaw pains - especially jaw - I could not even smile! I remember doing some gardening last April, I was in bed for 2 weeks after that! I am 44. Difefrent thing work for different people - I hope you find some useful information on this site, and get better! K

• Posted

Hiya

Just Googled Adenomyosis, and yeah, I''ve probably got a fibroid or two. For me, some of the symptoms didn't relate......now.  When I was younger: definitely. (You're a mere kid of 44:  I'm 54 and feeling it most days ha, ha!).

Generally I've chosen to use Coils (IUDs) for contraception.  Was never too keen on the Pill.  Swore blind I could feel it 'surging' around me (always a bloody Drama Queen, me!).  More so because I didn't want the agg of having to have a back up contraceptive should I have got Diarrhoea/Sickness (used to drink when I was younger: wasn't that good, always got sick and a hangover: don't bother now!), or if antibiotics were needed. 

So the IUD was OK for me.....aside from the recognised side effects of cramps, heavy bleeding, etc.  I truly just think I got used to it over time. 

Years ago I was due to have a Mirena fitted.  The twit (being polite here!) of a Doctor couldn't fit it in me (they were new, bigger than an IUD etc yadda, yadda).  I was so disappointed, and vulnerable - I was lying there, legs akimbo, bleeding, with no contraception at that point! - so I growlled at him to put anything in then (think I got off light!).  Gutted, as I knew I'd just go back to heavy bleeding.  

After going through a low spell (lost parents etc:  sh*t timesad) I asked the Nurse Pract'r if there was anything to help with this drudge.  She gave me some Transexamic Acid tablets:  took them for about 4yrs and they worked a treat.

I forgot to get a repeat prescription so decided to see how I'd cope without them, cold turkey.  Think time and age had started to work on me, as my bleeding was, and is in comparison, much, much lighter.

I swear I have felt so much better since taking Menopace.  But i also have a dab of bioidentical Progesterone Cream which probably helps abate some symptoms.  I'm too chicken to stop taking it in case I go into full-blown Sweaty Nut Job without itlol!

I'm due a Period in about 5 days.  I'll see how the Red Mist goes this month, as I was a bit of a naughty girl last month:  everyone copped it, I'm afraid to say. Plus I felt very lethargic (like everyone else says: feels like the onset of 'flu), and then I get over it. 

I think once I start to get really sweaty (one of my lovely sisters assures me I will: cow!), I'll probably go talk some HRT.  But since my aching joints have improved, I'm holding off for as long as I can.  I'd say its odds-on that I'll try HRT as our mum had 'bad bones': 3 hip replacement ops all post-Meno sadly, and other bone-related issues.  But, amazingly, she was still very active until she left us at 81. Even did the Orlando white knuckle rides at 72 - I'm using that as a Benchmarklol!

Glad you're enjoying your life again.  44 is far too young to feel as old as me!!

Sx

PS - I hope after all this twaddle, I read the right symptoms for adenomyosis!!

• Posted

I had same symptoms until i started with hormone replacement pellets.God send.feel so much better.have them inserted every four months
    • Posted

HI Mary. Just found this site and I'm 51 also. amazing joint pain hands feet elbows ..and gardening is no fun anymore . I rest so much now I feel as if I cant do much else. Had hormone workup after being off birth control 2 months and am in last stages of meno but doc said still  pregnancy is possible so had to go back on pill but joint pain remains and hot flashes have returned as well as irritability and depression.  i felt better off of hormones but a baby at 51? No way !! Have you tried that menopace im reading here about? How are you doing now? Has anything helped you ? You can reply here or directly to my email if you want.  Im having a very bad day today , I hope you have found some relief I'm going to go  get some aleve tablets now ! 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Hi Can I just say this could have been me posting this! My situation is almost identical! The mouth drives me mad, although of late it hasn't been so bad. I chew gum, it's the only thing that temporarily relieves the feeling. Been to doctors, dentist etc. I'very been taking Elleste solo for two years i don't think its helping at all, I also take thyroxine 50 mcg. I had hysterectomy when I was 37, due to huge fibroid causing problems, im now 51. I went self employed two years ago as a cleaner and I put the aches and pains down to the physical repetition of my work, but from reading these threads, it's evident that's it's the menopause. I'm currently in lots of pain with my shoulder, elbow and neck. Was going to osteopath as thought it was the right way to go, but the last week I've been in agony again. I'm so glad I've come across this forum, as I have learnt so much in the last 15 minutes!!

Sorry to ramble on, really don't know how to condense everything down. I'm just glad I'm not the only one having problems, I don't mean that from a selfish point of view. It just means that it's a 'normal', but not nice, part of the big M sad

Thank you ladies . Will continue to follow.

Trip to gp, next step me thinks!

• Posted

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences!! So many of the descriptions are MY story! I'm 50 and beginning to experience the fatigue, joint and body pain, etc. I'm seeing my doc tomorrow to discuss things, but thanks for sharing your stories. Definitely will follow this thread. :-)
    • Posted

I'm taking a drink that is working great for me but I still have the left elbow pain.  That's the only thing left!  I find it gets better if I stretch my neck which loosens my muscles and it's not that bad considering all the other stuff is gone.  Is your elbow completely free of pain after using your supplement?
    • Posted

I am just SUPER happy to know i am NOT going crazy and not the only one experiencing this problem- i started having severe pain in my right wrist, its excrutiating, but i DO NOT want to be dependent on pain medication to  get me through the day--- do you get Menopace in a health reated store
    • Posted

Hi, you can get Menopace in all chemists, I've not tried it myself but am going to give it a go as I've tried everything else. I'm 49 and I started getting really bad joint and muscle pain 3 years ago at the same time my periods started becoming irregular. Sometimes all I can do is lay down and rest because of the pain and constant exhaustion. Blood test showed my hormone level was very low, was told I was perimenopausal. I can only hope that once I've gone through the menopause this terrible pain will go. I feel like I'm about 90.... Not even 50 yet😡 has anybody got any advice ?
    • Posted

Hi dawn I use menopace everyday after following advice from lovely ladies on this site and its the best thing i have ever done. I havent had any stomach problems n been using it for a year now. My symptoms have reduced dramatically so would def recommend it x hope it helps x
    • Posted

Thank you, I'm going to go and get some today, is it Menopace Original ? When I looked at them , I was baffled by all the different ones available. I'll let you know if they help at all x
    • Posted

I use the original and they fine plus they also the cheapest ones x
    • Posted

I just joined this site today! The last few months it seems every joint hurts and I am physically so tired. My lower back, hips, and left knee/ thigh area cause me stiffness and pain. Especially in the mornings. I just typed my symptoms, age and gender in Google and I found this site.

I was proud to find the posts but disappointed many were over a year old! Then I found yours! Recent AND the same year on the end! 😜 I normally eat healthy, walk regularly, see my chiropractor and "not be whiny around my precious hubby",. But lately I fight to feel like walking, see no relief from my chiro and find it hard not to whine😁

Kinda proud to have found a place to relate. Sadly haven't had a check up in several years. Think I'll schedule one soon!!

• Posted

Hi Gina1965, I sadly know exactly how your feeling.....it's awful being in pain  and tired all the time. I've been having these symptoms for 3 years, I haven't had a period for about 7 months, I'm hoping that I won't have anymore and that I'm through the otherside. But twice before I've gone 8 months before getting one. My Dr told me that you have to go  whole year without a period before your through the menopause. Fingers crossed? Sometimes, this joint pain really gets me down, it does affect day to day living. I've just started taking Menopace after a lovely lady on this site recommended trying it. Maybe you should go and chat to your Dr, they will probably do a blood test to determine your hormone level. Its hard and to stay positive at times, but try to cos this won't last forever. Your not alone 🌸

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Dawn! 3 years, wow. So sorry to hear that! I will check with my doc on that Menopace!
    • Posted

Hi Gina--Im in America. Texas specifically. I started taking Osteo-biflex. I think I got the idea off this board. It reduced my pain dramatically but caused bad heartburn. I found out which ingredients were causing the heartburn and switched to the Now brand of glycosamine, MSM, and chondroitin. I'm feeling much better. Tomorrow I see someone about bioidentical hormones.

• Posted

I am also taking the glycosamine. It does take a little bit of time to get into your system to work though. It is helping the aches and pains. I am also using acupuncture which has helped reduce hot flashes too.
    • Posted

Hi Dawn,

I pray all is well and that you are managing well!  ; -)

I know your comments were over 6months ago, but I was wondering whether you had any success with using the Menopace??.. I know what works for one may not work for the other, but I'm trying my best to manage the symptoms that I do have and I am trying different suggestions-  (My Dr's have not comfirmed Menopause and do not deem it necessary to test since I am still having a monthly cycle) But after having several test performed and finding nothing... I realized with the help of this forum that I am definitely dealing with peri menopause-  Any tips you can offer will greatly be welcomed! Thanks!   ; -)

• Posted

Hi

ive read all these posts and this is exactly me right now.

I have had a cortisone injection in my shoulder for severe shoulder and arm pain for the past 6 months i am positive its oestrogen deficiency. My joints ache so bad i think its something really serious. I can only describe myself as someone i dont recognise anymore, like an alien invaded mybody, my body has changed so drastically in th epast year its crazy. 

• Posted

I need to warn you about eostrogen as it may well make things worse.

I joined the party 6 months ago at 50 just a few hot flashes and within 6 months have progressed to around 30-40 flashes a day like a human fountain and as of a week ago followed by cold flashes nasty as I am not the Nodic type.

I have had frozen shoulder for 3 weeks and as of today have all the muscle tendon and joint pain I walk like a 90 year old so researched.

?I found it more likely I have eostrogen dominance over reducing progesterone as eostrogen is the bad boy for breast cancer inflamation and heart issues to mention just a few. I am alarmed that Progesterone is not mentioned a lot more as it balances the eostrogens effect on the body it can also be converted to eostrogen or testotorone if needed accoding to some specialists, all needed in men and women. I wanted to go through this without hrt but its too debilitating and now the joint pain has made me buy a natural progesterone cream today in fact. Do more research and I think you will draw the same conclusion.

I just thought you shold know.

?I hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Claire it's just

Crap being a women haha I had a full hysterectomy so I can't have the progesterone and I'm on the bio identical ERT .

I have had this with my bones and joints for a few months some days are better then others and when u talk to the doctors they say it's nothing to do with the menopause but I've had blood tests and nothing is showing up it just feels like my whole body is in a vice and then it becomes itchy . I am already under Kings College Hospital for this but it feels like I am shrinking and my body is drying up x

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

​Well I am pleased you are under Kings College but I fear patience will be needed. Yesterday I felt like a 90 year old could barely hold the hoover and today I am more like 60 so much better as my cycle is coming to the end so poop to it not being anything to do with menopause as last month I had the same for a few days and I thought it was a bug!,

I have cut coffee and booze, no difference but will stick with it for a few months just to be sure. I wish we were told more about this phase of life even my mother didnt talk about it.

​I have learned that blood tests are pointless as they show no discenable problems on the whole even a woman suffereng from  really serious reactions to progesterone came up normal. its certainly not a one fix cures all. I cant wait to try the cream as yesterday was hellish pain wise so I sympathise with you totally. Keep your chin up you hopefully will find the right mix of diet and hrt. try Something called Red Macdaw....at least I think its that my writing was so bad yesterday trying to hold the pen anyway its mentioned on this site. good luck and if you get progess i hope you will get time to share it we all need good news,

• Posted

Hi Claire

Thank you so much for replying to me and my heart goes out to you my mum didn't talk about this either only when I was really bad a few months after my op.

And yes u r so right with the bloods .

I hope all goes well with yourself and email me any time xx

• Posted

Hi Vanessa 

I dont know much about full Hysterectomies if you have not been to take a look it has some good info on it. Although take it as a route for further guidance as I spotted a suggestion for taking Black cocosh for sympton relief which is a no no if you have impaired liver function for any reason including pcos. It talks about getting the balace right and is informative.

Also tried pasting a link but failed......I put it down to my hormoans!

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.