Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

You are living my life in a nut shell I feel exactly the same every bone in my body hurts especially my knees my life feels so depressing through constant oain day in day out 
    • Posted

Hi Linda, sorry to read this. About 4 months ago I made my first comments on this site as I was really suffering.On one morning it took me 10 mins to get from bed to the kitchen with 3 sit downs and dizzy spells in the process. I look after myself with yoga ,running, dancing and do eat well ,but at this time my partner was in Australia and I got lazy with my diet. Too many carbs, not enough veg and not enough calories at times. It went away but as returned over the last week, again I think due to being a bit lazy with food. I seem to have found a trigger if that helps ,but also I sought advice from my homeopath and take calc carb when I'm in pain.I am told all of this goes..

Take care, don't feel alone with it x

• Posted

I have also experienced the dizziness. I was reading an article about the same symptoms we are all having and it mentioned a possible iron deficiency. I have had my iron checked before, but this lady said to make sure to have a serum test to check. Turns out she was deficient and lost symptoms of fatigue, aching and dizziness once she got her level on track. I am going to have several things checked: magnesium, Vitamin D's and B's and my iron. It's worth looking into if these issues can be addressed this simply and without pharmaceuticals. I appreciate you mentioning the dizziness: I thought I was the only one again!

Best to you-

Millette

• Posted

Hello Millette,

The dizziness came with a period and was quite frightening when combined with joint pain. I did some research and have seen that it is a sympton, so you're not alone. I 've had blood tests and was told that all was within normal limits but will check that it included a serum test .

Thanks for the advice,

Take care.

• Posted

I have been very worried about the dizziness, too. I scare the life out of myself thinking I have something disastrous like an aneurism or tumor. But since I have been hearing about others, like you, I have calmed down and tried to look at the whole picture. A friend suggested that I may be a bit dehydrated, which can cause dizziness. So, I am going to make sure I am getting plenty of water, too. Just another thought.

• Posted

Hello Millette

Part of this process involves anxiety and depression I am told, so worries may be ten fold. I keep a sort of diary of symptoms so I can work out any links. (The dizziness comes when I have a period.) May seem a bit unnecessary but doing something practical helps me cope. Yes, keeping hydrated makes a difference, we're meant to have about 1.5 L of water, I know I don't always do it!

Ruth

• Posted

Hi Lesley998,

I had some minor aches in my body too which seem weird.  I have a period but there is no pain (my husband get cramp in stomach).  One month I missed a period.  My sister said, "You cannot go through menopause before her."  Yep I can.  Even though she is older by 2 and half years.  Age does not matter.  I have to find a good doctor.  I will not know until September if the doctor will accept me.  New thing that doctors do that they have an interview kind of thing now before they accept you.    Hope all goes well with you.

• Posted

Hello Lesley

I know you posted some time ago, but I wondered if you were given anything specific to help with your joint pain. I am convinced that my neck and back problems have been exacerabated by perimenopause. I've been given Evorel patches to boost my oestrogen levels but I am still in terrilble pain. I do have arthritis in my neck, but it has become much, much worse over the last 18 months. I'm sure it's not a co-incidence. (I'm 51)

I'd really like to hear how you got on.

• Posted

Hello Ladies,

First of all, I would like to say thank you to Lesley for starting this post. I just stumbled onto the site and it is a great exchange of the transition we women are going through.

I am from the US, originally from NY and my story is a little different,  but can hopefully help any of my sisters who are suffering.  This is long but hopefully helpful post.

I am 58 and had an SAH (kept ovaries ) when I was 49.  Had many crazy fluctuations in the first six months after my surgery as my ovaries were in shock, however after six month my ovaries came back on line and then I was fine until 51.  One day at work, I had the worst headache of my life and thought I had a brain tumor!  After an MRI, it was deemed that I was OK---but I was far from OK.  I had developed terrible migraines that started coming once a week, then 2x a week, then everyday--it was horrible, especially since I never had a headache in my life!  That was my only sympton of peri, these debilating migraines.  To top it off, I held a very responsible position in a pharma company and had to travel internationally about 14 days a month.  It had become a nightmare since I was becoming non functional.  I went to many Dx's and was given the usual triptans, but they gave me horrible side effects and  stopped working after several months, of course, no one suspected hormonal migraines from flu caring estrogen.  I finally went to a very smart neurologist in NYC and he suggested I try estrodial and he told me that it had helped women like myself who had the same peri/meno migraines.  I tried the BHRT ---Divigel, and through some tweaking it was a miracle---it controlled my migraines and as long I stayed out of the heat/sun for extended periods I was OK.   I have done tweaks along the way, but for the most part all I was concerned about was controlling my migraines.  I tried to taper off BHRT (I had switched to Bi Est because of the estriol component) in the last couple of years as I thought I might be past the "menopausal" stage and life would be fine, however every time I tried to taper to off my migraines came roaring back along with hot flashes and night sweats!  I finally got off in December 2013 and was fine for two months, but then I felt every sympton women read about hit me at different times.  First the hot flashes and night sweats were brutal and I saw no sign of those letting up.  Then the joint pains in my shoulders, back, wrists started and I knew that was from low estrogen, since estrogen acts as an anti inflammatory.  I went from yoga and  walking to 3 miles a da and lifting weights to a couch potato as it was so painful.  When I thought it could not get any worse, I started having bloating and severe digestive issues, along with constipation, burning tongue, a metallic taste in my mouth and mood swings and a feeling of dread.  Oh, and the icing on the cake was zero libido and vaginal issues that I would not wish on anyonecry.  Instead of feeling 57, I felt 97!!  In the six months off estrogen I must of aged 5 years and my skin showed it along with gaining ten pounds.  I do eat a very strict diet of plant based fruits and veggies, including soy which makes up 90% of my diet and very rarely stray to eat anything else, however the loss of estrogen really did a number on me ,  and after years of eating this way, saw very little improvement .I went to acupuncture, which helped somewhat tried black cohosh, maca and other herbals and while they were OK, they were no where near the effectiveness of BHRT.  Of the 34 menopause symptons listed, I had about 18---it was truly horrible and decided to go back on estrogen just several weeks ago and I am currently shopping for a good Dx who will do the right hormone testing.  I need to be balanced for the last third of my life.

i really admire the ladies who can tough it out but my symptons were so debilitating that I need my quality of life.  BTW-  the only thing that did go away was my migraines at 57!  I also have very bad heart disease in my family and hopefully the bi est will keep my Blood pressure and Arteries in good shape. This has been quite a journey and I wish all my sisters good luck!lol

• Posted

Hi Lesley -for 3 three years i have had left knee pain!!  I know it's from perimenopause but the drs. think otherwise-yet I have been to so many drs. and no one can find anything!! I have MRIs, x-rays blood test, pt-twice that i have had it with drs. and turn to my computer for answers and there was your letter!! I can't thank you enough it is nice to know i am not crazy and so many other women have the same problem. I am going to try so of the things I found on here and hopefully one might work. Thanks again-and i will let you know how things go but i feel good just knowing other women have what i have and i am not alone!!! Kathy8894
  • Posted

CALCIUM+ VITAMIN D +MAGNESIUM.

HI everyone.  I just would like to spray the news... One year ago my gyno asked me to take calcium + vitamin D and after that I started having weir symptoms that I linked to it but of course I was not sure. First I felt sick,with all kinds of sopimptoms that can relate to peri but I could not prove.  Finally, I had joints and muscle pain. Many times my joints snaped and squeeked.  Never had anything befor, started an antinflammatory diet, got better and better from the many simptoms but I stil had the joint and muscle pain, less limiting, tough.  Then I found many and many comments about vitamin D cause depletion of magnesium, AND JOINT AND MUSCLE PAIN.  One week ago, I decided to take 1/3 of my daily dose of calcium of magnesium, as is recommended - next day my pain was 70% ou, 3 days after, I have no pain at all. 

So ladies, talk to your doctors and consider to take magnesium with your daily dose of CALCIUM +VITAMIM D.

I hope that helps and please, let me know your considerations.

XXX

• Posted

Thank you BellaRubia for the news!  Its nice to login and find answers to our problems without spending long hour of Googling online 👍

Be blessed xx

• Posted

Let me know if it helped. And do not forget the antinflammatory diet.  Every time I eat fat, I feel my joints, even taking magnesium sad

• Posted

Thank you for posting this. Last year I suddenly started getting these pains along my left arm and it is now all over my body.  What is also very upsetting is that I can no longer wear my heals and I am hoping to be able to go to a doctor who can give me some sought of medication for this pain and discomfort to go away,. Hope all is well with every positing.

• Posted

Hi Lesley - I how are you doing? I have very similar problems with joint pain & was wondering how you were getting on as you wrote this a year ago? I do hope you can help?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.