Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Lesley

I hope you are still reading these posts! I would like to know if you have received any treatment that has helped with your symptoms. I can totally relate to the majority of your symptoms in addition I have severe headaches that are totally debilitating and the intensity of the pain has really scared me on occasions.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis 2 years ago which is condition whereby you produce too much estrogen. I was given a course of injections to push me into the menopause and this is when all the problems started. Joint pain and cracking joints particularly my jaw and knees, neck and shoulder pain, tingling and numbness in my face, kidney pain, dry sore eyes, sores in my nose, foul taste in my mouth and a coating on my tongue and to top it all trouble sleeping.

I also have an under active thyroid and this seems to be a common theme emerging in the follow up posts.

• Posted

Dear Lesley and all the Ladies,

I have not been in touch for a while, I was waiting for my consultant appointment which was yesterday. It was nice to talk to a sensible doctor, seriously. I was officially diagnosed PERIMENOPAUSE! It's on paper!

The lady doctor explained that since they could not find ANYTHING physically wrong with me, and they did do a good check, because of the clinical picture and low estrogen, they have decided that it is perimenopause. She did say in my case it is very early - I am 43, but everyone is different. You would all be pleased to hear that the lady doctor told me that there are other women that get the sympthoms I got with perimenopause. Don't we know that!!!!!

Anyway, I was very pleased with the outcome as you can imagine.

I have been on HRT since July, and it did help with very bad pains. I am coming off it end of this month, and the doctor said it is up to me whether to continue, or leave it. I do still have a low level pain all the time, cracking of joints, bad pain here and there, from time to time. No-acid diet does help, but my saviour is MAGNESIUM. I use magnesium spray, magnesium supplement pills, magnesium bath, and I am getting better and better with every day. I suggest you could try it - it does not do any harm apparrently. I decided to be brave and come off HRT for now, and see what happens. As many of you said, we are going through a natural process, albeit a bit painful,  so putting any chemicals into our confused bodies is probably not a good idea. I will keep you posted how it goes.

• Posted

Kat, I am taking a very low dose of magnesium, It is said that the increase of  calcium in the blood can cause decrease of magnesiun and the lack of magnesium can cause joint pain - doctor  recommended vitamin D + calcium one year ago and coincidently OR NOT, my joint pain started.  I noticed that with or without magnesium, I have some episodes of joint pain, only now it  only happens when the period is close and not aleatory as before.  My point is, I do not know if my body is finally adjusting to the lack of the hormons or if the magnesium was realy lacking.  I will try to get my doctor to do me a blood work for that, lets see what comes up. Good luck and let us know. XX
    • Posted

Hi Kat,

I'm 54 years old and have beeen going through menupause for quite some time.  I take gaupentin which has helped tremendously for joint aches, pain and hot flashes.  It's not 100% but I'll take 95%.

I also wanted to bring up to some ladies that recently my husband went thourgh alot of aces and pains which kept him from moving around too much.  He too was getting flashes with the pain.   Just an idea but you may want to also consider some of you may be experiencing internal shingles which is hard to determine.  Anyway I know this is all about women but it wouldn't hurt to see a neuro.

Just to let you know I do feel all your pain as I go through it daily as well.

• Posted

I'll be really interested to hear how it goes. I too have lots of pain and it's driving me mad. Dr has suggested HRT but I don't really want to do that if I don't have to. I'm using all the magnesium stuff but still struggling. Let me know how you get on .xx
  • Posted

Hi Lesley and all the ladies who have posted,

I too found this discussion with a google search and it has opened up a whole new possibility for me.  Like Lesley, I have had good regular periods since age 13 and after my two children were born.  Then the very heavy periods started about 18 months ago at age 52.  My female GP said it was normal and probably the last hurrah before my periods petered out.  Not so - still heavy, irregular and hanging in there 18 months later. Its such a pain when so many of my friends of the same age are over it all.  At the same time as this I started to experience severe knee joint pain so was referred to a physio.  He said I had the early symptoms of artritis and told me to strengthen my lateral knee muscles. I could not squat at all - getting up from a squatting position was agony.  I went home and started taking glucosamine 1000mg daily which seems to have helped a lot - now I can squat with some pain, but not agony. At the same time I've had regular low grade headaches which go away with an Ibuprofen.  Every now and again I get the heart pounding and sometimes a mild hot flush.  No night sweats.  But yesterday I started with painful finger joints, the end ones, and mostly in my right hand.  The joints are clicking and it is now becoming painful to type.  It had't occurred to me that this was associated with my menopause, but maybe so, as the symptoms don't seem to equate with normal arthritic symptoms - there is no redness or swelling.  The sudden onset is also strange.  I have been doing some sewing(machine) the last couple of days, but can't imagine that this would bring on the pain as it hasn't been for that long and isn't intense enough.  I'm on holiday in Spain at the moment so its nice and warm - it can't be a cold problem.  When I get back to the UK in a few weeks I will talk to my GP about these new symptoms.  She says I'm not a candidate for HRT at the moment, so wonder if there is some alternative to help with symptoms.  Although my problems are not nearly as serious as some posters on this discussion, it does all seem to point in the same direction.  Thanks to all for your contributions.  Its nice to know I'm not alone.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I have simular symptons, I am really fed up with it, I hate to say i'm in dreadful pain but it is nagging all the time, at night I just dont know how to get comfortable as it dosnt stop!

I take Glucosamine, Osteocare(zinz, D3 & magnesium) B6 & mung bean menopause tablets (helped hot flush/) I have been taking this for the past month but still feel pain in muscles & joints.

I have had blood test & all is OK!

I might have a look to see if there are any trials!

If you do find anything that helps please let me know!sad

• Posted

Wow fantastic, I am so happy I have found you all.....  I was told I was peri meno when I was 39, it was a bit scary to be honest, but I was doing really well with hardly any symptoms, wondering what all the fuss was about.

2 years later the symptoms were getting rather bad, so went to see a Gynecologist and re-confirmed everything I already knew, I said I didn't want to go on HRT but had researched that a contraceptive pill will sort it all out, so he agreed and everything was great until....  my periods were obviously very regular being on the pill but each month my bleeding was getting worse and wores, so much so that I couldn't then leave the house, so I had no option to stop the pill and see what would happen.

After the first month, my periods were already much lighter, but the symptoms were returning I am now 44 and the last 3 months (3 months of taking nothing but a herbal remedy called Maca) I am really suffering starting with tigtening of my muscles and then my bones were hurting, I thought I had bone cancer it was so severe, staring in my calfs and then my thighs, now every single joint and bone in my body is agony.  This weekend I had to take my wedding rings off as my fingers were so painful I couldn't move my hands and the fingers joints were swelling.

It makes you depressed, I don't want to do anything, I am putting on weight round my middle and I eat really healthily, I have today booked myself in to see an Endocrinologist, so hopefully he will be able to sort out my hormones and advise how to go forward, I am living on Nurofen every 4 hours.

Thank you all for making me feel that I am not alone and obviously (we hope) that I am not really dying xx

• Posted

Hi Quigs - No your not alone, its all so wrong of nature to be so mean to us ladies! I hope the Endocrinologist helps you, let us know how you get on?
    • Posted

Hi Quigs

Thank you firstly to Leslie for starting this blog, which I found 6 months ago, when struggling to understand these awful aches in my body that I was experiencing.  I couldn't believe how many women were experiencing similar symptoms, and felt a great comfort from all the blogs and advice.

I am 54, and I mainly suffered muscle/joint pains all over my shoulders/neck/arms/thumbs/legs, and had an occasional warm glow that lasted less than 1 minute, therefore I thought I had fibromyalgia prior to reading these blogs.  What I think is helping me, after trying, magnet, glucosamine, evening primrose, maca, yoga, homeopathic remedies, is Accupuncture.  I had 5 treatments weekly over the last 6 weeks, and have gone from taking 2 co-codamol 30/500 4x/day, to now just 2-3x/week.  I am though still taking the homeopathic remedies, but feel it was the introduction of the Accupuncture that eased my pains.

During the last month I have seen a rheumatologist, (all blood tests including inflammatory markers were normal, except for hormone levels) he listened to my thoughts regarding my hormones, and did not "poohoo" this, but suggested that during changes in our hormones, any problems that we have can be magnified.  This seemed to be a reasonable explanation, as I have had neck/shoulder pains often over many years.  The MRI of my neck showed degenerative changes, and I have bursitis in my shoulders, all brought about by strain and poor posture.  I have been diagnosed with secondary fibromyalgia caused by these changes, and have agreed to try hydroxychloroquine (known as a DMARD disease modifying rheumatoid drug).  I have been taking this for about 1 month, and was told it would take around 6 weeks to work.  I noticed a relief soon after starting this tablet, so think it must be the Accupuncture.  

I plan to probably stop this drug after maybe 6 months if I am still feeling better, and continue with just monthly Accupuncture.  It was pretty expensive time all in all, but worth the money to get the relief, hope this helps some of you.

Viv

• Posted

Hi Lesley and all the ladies,

As with everyone here am so glad I found this blog. I had my final period 18 months ago, and in that time ive been experiencing pains in my thumbs and wrists and ankles and hips. Ive been putting it down to maybe arthritis in my hands until my ankles and hips started to hurt, and then thought maybe its my job as i'm on my feet all day. But over time my imagination was getting the better of me, and in so doing putting me off going to the doctors. Reading all these letters has given me peace of mind (thank you). Im actually a healthcare advisor (at a rudimentary level) in a well known chemist, and some of the things mentioned here ie, the ladycare magnet, magnesium, vitamin D and zinc, ive recommended to others but never thought of taking myself. I do take some supplements for menopause to help with night sweats but none of the above :-).

I shall be going into work and asking my pharmacist what they know about the connection with low estrogen and magnesium regarding joint pains and menopause. Then maybe an appointment with the doctors, armed with all this information.

In my job i've learnt that you are continually learning, and that by talking to others going through the same thing you dont feel so alone and you realise you are not going mad. Also i maybe able to help someone else with what ive learnt today. Thanks again for sharing.

• Posted

Hi Lynne, I've heard a lot about Vit D recently, so would be really interested to hear what the pharmacist says about taking vit D. I'm not sure what is a safe level to take or if it's necessary? Good luck with the Dr. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma,

After having a chat with a couple of pharmacists, and finding out what various vitamins and minerals do and reading what others are trying regarding the joint/muscle pain. Im going to try the Vitamin D3 and magnesium. Vit D3 is good for the immune system in general and is good for bones. Just a note of warning vit D can be stored in the body and its advised not to exceed the recommended dose. Magnesium with regard to muscles helps to relax them whilst calcium helps to tighten them. Deficiency in magnesium can cause fatigue, cramps and numbness. I dont know if this is of any help to others. Also if anyone is on any other medication its best to check with your doctor before taking anything even vitamins also if you suffer from asthma, diabetes or epilepsy. Will let you know how it goes xx

• Posted

HinLynne, thanks for this. I already take magnesium. With regard to Vit D I really don't know what the recommended dose is? Did he say? I'm still looking at this with my GP. Had another blood test yesterday so hopefully I will know soon what he recommends. Xx
  • Posted

Hi everyone

I'm 42 and have been suffering with the same symptons as you all have. I've had a 3rd blood test and like the other 2 it shows I'm well into my menopause and now I've also been diagnosed with LUPUS which can be triggered by hormonal changes and symptoms are hand and feet are agony in the joints but also other parts of the body, hair lose, headaches, very sensitive to sunlight and very red in the face. I'm trying to clear it all using alternative medicine such at acupuncture and naturopath as well as taking advise from the lupus consultant...

• Posted

Hi Amber - I also suffer from painful joints & muscles and I take Osteocare(Calcium,Magnesium&D3) I take this evening time, I get mine from Morrisons £2.50  I also take extra D3 10ug in the morning Holland & Barrett. I have read that D3 really helps bone pain & magnesium helps muscle pain. I have been taking this for about 3-4 weeks & after about 2 weeks I started feeling less pain. I am so amazed & really hope it continues to work. I also take B6 100g to help with energy!

I have been for blood test but all ok.

• Posted

Hi. Barbara, that's interesting to hear. I've sent off a sample for a D3 blood test today so I'll see what it says. Did it say your D3 was ok? Xx
    • Posted

Hi Moonma - I was away last week, how did you get on with your blood test?
    • Posted

hi Barbara, not sure why that reply is being moderated😗. My test came back as insufficient, but my GP wants me to be re tested today. Apparently the parameters they use in Birmingham are different to those where I live. So in effect you could end up being deficient if you live in birmingham but not if you live where I am , even though your reading is the same!! How crazy is that! It's all nhs testing!

Emis Moderator comment: The posts went for moderation as they contained a blacklisted word within another word, I have edited the list to prevent this in future.

• Posted

Hi Barbara, not sure why it won't let me post. But, my levels came back as insufficient, but my GP wants me to have it retested. Apparently each area of the country has different levels of what they consider to be 'normal' so you could live in one area and be deficient but not in another. Ever heard anything so daft?
    • Posted

Hi Mooma - I dont think they are sure how much we should take, for Adults the VitD council say 5,000IU/day - Endocrine Society say 1,500 IU & Food/Nutrition Board say 600IU??? no idea,  I have been onto google & typed in Vitamin D reserch 2014 & it comes up with some good studies. I will stick to the dose I am currently taking with Osteocare(Calcium,Magnesium&D3) with the extra 10ug Vit D3 from Holland & Barrett as my muscle & joint pain is considerbly less. may it continue but I will keep reading up on it. Keep in touch!lol
    • Posted

So how many IU do you take at the moment. What was your reading from your blood test. Mine was 43. Just had the blood test, it took 3 goes today. I've read from a couple of experts in UK that it should be about 70(optimal)?
    • Posted

Hi Mooma - mine was just under the Doc didnt think it was a problem but when researching my pain, age & menopause it came up with VitD3 & Magnesuim can be a problem during this time & cause bone & muscle pain, so I tried to see if it would help & it did, took about 6 weeks to work but I was so happy!  I take 20ug of Vit D3 altogether.

400 IU = 10ug, so I am taking 800 IU plus what I get from the sun but the problem is I wear makeup with sp15 & work in an office in London & polution takes away some of the VitD from the sun. So I dont think I'm taking to much VitD3.

• Posted

Thanks Barbara. I asked the question after I had the test and they told me to have 6000 IU for 1 month and 1000 IU thereafter so quite high. Will be interesting to see if the Doc agrees. I'm using a 1000. iU oral spray so I'll continue with that now I've had the other blood test. I did ask about calcium but he didn't really want to discuss until ive had my new blood test. Round and round in circles I go. I already take 300 mg of magnesium, but no calcium as yet. Was hoping the increased Vitd would help that.  I'll let you know how it goes. Glad you're feeling a bit better. I live in hope. Xx
    • Posted

Oh I really hope the D3 helps you, fingers crossed & keep in touch!smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.