Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Leslie,

I too am suffering from bad joint painand tiredness  like you mentioned, in my elbow and thumbs and knees. After several doctor visits and my physical in May it showed my estradiol level was 108 pmol/l which is considered menopause values since the marker for that is under 110pmol/l  is menopause, well the weird thing is I am 53 years old and still have a monthly period only missed one period in february 2011 yet my estradiol is that of some who doesnt get periods? Also had a pain in my chest Aug 27 2014 and the next day went to a local doctor for testing. I went back for the test results she did bloodwork etc and it came back that i have very high iron serum and very high stauration  61 %. Well i went back to her the next week to show her my May results and 3 years results (each year of my check ups) which were all normal low side. She thought it was nothing even though iron has doubled in 3 months and iron saturation has tripled? My sister, a nurse said oh that is hemochromotosis and when i told the doctor she rolled her eyes at me and gave me another test paper to get done. A long story short I am going to get results back from that test done on sept 15th tomorrow which should be lower than the end of august results since i have had my period since and then i will pay to get a private test done for hemochromotosis. You see thats usually only strikes women after menopause when they are no longer having periods and with my estradiol being menopausal values my body think oh start up the hemochromotosis now. My Mum dies of liver and pancreas cancer but she never went to the doctor so maybe she too was a victim of high iron. Anyways hope all is good for your health and check your iron levels and estradiol levels as they play a big part as how we feel. Here I thought it was all perimenopause when it is a combination of both.

Cheers

Ingrid

• Posted

Hi Ingrid

Just literally joined this forum, but read your post with interest.

Listen to your sister.  Think of your Dear Mum - go get that hemochromotosis test.  Might be the best money you've ever spent on yourself!!

Happy Christmas to You.

S

• Posted

Just wanted to say Thank you to all that are participating in this discussion forum about peri and joint and muscle pain. I have not heard about Vit D3 and joint pain, but have heard about magnesium relaxing muscles. I really appreciate all this information and will give magnesium a go. As far as I understand calcium/magnesium work together and if one takes too much of one it can deplete the other. I live in Canada and know quite a few people that take magnesium transdermally so apply it onto the skin and absorb it that way as when ingested by the time it goes through whole process it doesn't all get absorbed, unless it is citrate and another kind, which I can't remember it's name. The confusing world of supplementation.. Thanks again. I am very happy to be part of this forum. I am learning so much and feel that I am not alone with these weird symptoms...

Maria

• Posted

Hi Maria - I would really recommend the D3 as this is for the bone pain, you can get a combination tablet which will do Magnesuim, Calcium & D3. I also take an extra D3 10ug.  I have suffered with muscle & joint pain & thought it would never go away, taking this has really helped me. I feel my normal self again! If you Google D3 you will see lots of reserch that has been done. Hope this helps?  X
    • Posted

Hi Barbara. Thank you Barbara. Will look into this. I've had joint and bone pain in my hip over this past 1.5 years. It has altered everything my whole life and life style. Was Massage Therapist and have stopped massaging till I have no more pain or until I know exactly what is going on. I will be turning 50 in October... I'm suspecting it has to do with hormones...So thank you for that..
    • Posted

Hi Maria - I really hope it helps, it took around 3-4 weeks for me to feel the benefit. I take Osteocare by vitabiotics it is (Calcium,magnesium&D3)  I take this in the evening. I take an extra dose of Vit D3 in the morning 10ug - altogether I take 20ug which is a safe dose to take if you havn't been tested for D3. So persevere with them as they have helped me, I just wouldnt stop taking them know! Please let me know how they work? Good luck smile X
    • Posted

hi Barbara

Have literally just joined this site, and went to the subject that was giving me the most problems at the mo.  See I'm not alone!

Very interested to read about Vit D3/Magnesium/Calcium supps - I had a blood test 6wks ago and have to go back to GP for results.  My Nurse Practitioner specificed a test for Vit D deficiency when I mentioned I was aching so badly.  I'll get Xmas out of the way (oh, I do sound the martayr, putting up and shutting up but truth is, I hate going to the Docs!!) and go see what I'm deficient in.  Got the stage now too where I'll ask for a blood test to check my hormone levels as althought I'm still having periods as regular as clockwork, I'm sure at 54 I'm depleted in either Pr of Eo by now!  

Does anyone remember having this conversation with their girlfriends when we were in our early teens "I can't wait to reach menopause.  Just think: a life without periods,  and loads of safe sex - Brilliant!!"  -  if only I knew what was really in store. Talk about 'Ignorance is Bliss'!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

S

• Posted

Hi Shaznay good to hear from you. I am still taking the same dosage of supps & its still working, I am so happy as the pain was driving me insane! Try the dosage I mentioned as it wont do you any harm even if your not defficent!

Hope you have a lovely Christmas & New Year -  love to everyone on this wonderful site, so pleased we have this!!

• Posted

Am I glad I found this site...I was getting a tad freaked out by my symptoms to say the least!

I was diagnosed with oesteo arthritis but I'm questioning that diagnosis now after reading all your posts.

The aching joints happened over the course of 1 year and recently it has started to really affect my quality of life. 

So, here's what I've learned from you lush ladies

vitamin D

oil of evening primrose

cut out sugar ...'sobs quietly'

lots of healthy veg

apple cider vinegar

pilates

lose a bit of weight

laugh every day

:D

xxx

• Posted

Hi BxB

Literally just joined this site, so went to the section my 'sisters in arms' would converge, and possibly give me answers to my many questions.  And here you all are!

My dear ol' mum had 5 kids during her long life. Unfortunately, think they all took their toll on her little frame as she had 3 hip replacements in later years (yeah, I can see you all looking puzzled, no she wasn't Jake the Peg (sorry, Rolf Harris ref here: not the done these days!).

I have results from a blood test that I need to check out as mentioned my severe aches to the Nurse and she suggested a blood test stipulating Vit D levels. 

I'm terrible: start things up by going to GP, then don't go back for ages. Probably because when I went to talk about perimeno symtoms, I was prescribed SSRIs as a first step!  Me and my bloody big mouth - why did I even mention that I had cried while watching 'Don't Tell the Bride'?  Think I must have given the impression that i was a blubbering wreak: hardly.  Oh well, take that as a warning ladies. 

I'm not knocking SSRIs - I may have to call them my best frient one of these days, who knows?  But I think the perception of women of 'an age' are depicted as slobbering nutcases.  For me at this precise in time, I'm more concerned about my increasingly uncomfortable joint pain.  I can cope with the moaning, bad temper etc, in fact I'm quite liking my 'Victor Meldrew' rants, knowing that I can get away with it, as most people think 'miserable ol' cow: must be the menopause!' ha, ha.

Tried pilates, but you might like to try a bit of power walking: on the spot!  I really love YouTube for introducing me to Lesley Sansone's Power Walking vids.  They're endorsed by the American Heart Association and find they're a perfect form of exercise for me.  I can sweat and puff in the privacy of my own front room, 'walking' between 1 and 3 miles a day (25-45mins).  Low impact, good cardio and I have to say, I do actually feel energised after doing a session. 

I'm going to get straight back into it after Xmas - its low impact so you might like to see how it fits with you and your recent diagnosis.

Oh, I have to say I loved the 'laugh every day' advise you picked up from all these posts.  I fully endorse that:  never lose your sense of humour, even if it means taking the rise out of yourself.  We have to remember we were happy, smiling people once, ha ha, 

Merry Christmas to you.

S

• Posted

I never thought this could be the cause of my severe pain in my knees and my feet. I am 45 soon to be 46 and it's getting worse everyday. Thank you for posting. I will be making an appointment with my doctor Monday
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

like yourself my joint pains and clicking really were getting the better of me! Visited my doctor and he suggested arthritis and gave me an injection that totally carried away my knee pain but not the clicking! Getting to sleep was a nightmare and don't talk about butterfly feeling all over my stomach..but I started searching the net for some sort of solution to a body gone crazy from changing hormones and I came upon a diet change that has really helped me! I stay on fruits and raw veges..mostly blended..the veges that is..and I have a vegan dinner no later than 7. Then I have at least 4 cups of chamomile tea before getting into bed! I was able to fall asleep during the first week of changing my diet! I was desperate for relief from all my symtoms that staying away from meat seemed a small sacrifice! If my body is gonna change it better do so with the freshest, healthiest help from nature..I have no more pain in my joints..and my fingers are crossed that the clicking will go away! I have no hot flashes as I am premenopausal ..hope I could have been of some help..take care

• Posted

Hello Ladies, I have just been wandering around this site and came across this discussion and am really glad I did. I have been suffering with joint pain and like a lot of you, have been thinking I am getting old before my time. I am 53 and think I am peri-menopausal; my periods have been erratic for nearly a year and although I have had a bad back for years, this has now been joined with severe hip joint pain which has woken me up at night and restricted my daily activities. As I write this I am waiting for a call back from the doctor; as I couldn't get an appointment!! but think maybe now reading all your posts it may be down to those pesky hormones. I have not had any hot flushes but have disturbed sleep (not including geting woken up with hip pain), feeling emotionally unbalanced, oh so tired and lack of libodo; which I am finding difficult to deal with.

I will make an appointment to see the doctor but will be able to have a better understanding of what is possibly going on with my body as I would not have put joint pain and the menopause together.

I hope all of you make a succesfull passage through this time in our lives. Here's to the other side smile

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Just joined this forum looking for kindred spirits. And who'd imagine there would be so many?!

Turned 54 at the weekend, but have had some peri symptoms for a while.  Have noticed how poor my sleep is, generally due to my 'inner furnice' (skin dry but baking hot), frequent visits to the loo in during the night and my really aching joints. Started in my neck after a stint of gardening (I ain't doing that again!) and it soon settled in my shoulders.  Hate to say, but in the past week its gone to my elbows.  This ties in with yet another 'regular as clockwork' period.  Did anyone else notice just before their period that they started to feel 'disjointed' , and though joints were really disconnected? Getting worse with increasing age, I must say. 

You mention lack of libido - not that I was ever a proper 'gagging for it'-type, but yeah, that's really horrible.  Mentioned that to my Nurse Practitioner, who then prescribed me SSRIs.  Emmm,  very clearly started in the mega list of side effects there would be a 'Lack of Libido' - found this so bloody ironic.  No, I'm sure SSRIs have saved many of our 'sisters' but they're not for me at the mo.  I'd prefer having a smile on my face as the after effects of a good seeing-to, rather than a bloody 'Happy Pill'!!!:D

I'll be back to the GP in the New Year, checking some blood test results (spec for Vit D deficiency) and ask for a blood test to actually test my hormone levels.  Speaking with my sisters, 2 out of 3 sing to praises of HRT, the other went the natural route.  I'm not sure what to do for the best, but will be guided by my future bone health as my dear, late mum endured a total of 3 replacement hip ops from ages 60-80.  It ain't looking good for her 4 daughters is it?!!

Have a Merry Christmas.

S

• Posted

Hi Lesley,  So sorry to hear about your horrid symptoms - but I am I admit, a little releived as I too am having severe jont pain.  I was beginning to think, like you that I had something sinister going on.  I am 55 and have been going through the menopause properly for 3 years.  I've had a really rubbish time of it, the flushing has been phenominal and have experienced all kinds of horrible symptoms.  Insomnia, weight gain, lack of concentration, tiredness to name a few but most recently the worst and really dreadful joint pain!  If I sit still for half an hour or so I can hardly get up out of the chair unaided.  It started in my elbows, and has moved about from joint to joint over the past year or so.  At present my right foot, left hip and left shoulder are really bad.  When it started in the elbows I went to GP and was told it was lack of estrogen.  So I started to take ibubrofen, the pain is eased but I then get indigestion caused by this drug.  I tried Yoga which to be honest didn't help one bit, I'm now taking rosehip supplements as have read  they are antiinflamatory, although haven't noticed any difference yet. I'm glad to see you have noticed an improvement with HRT and it's something I have managed to avoid up till now, but this pain might tip me over the menopausal edge!  Thanks for the post, as it has made me feel SO RELEIVED it's not just me.  I hope, when the menopause is done my body's going to revert to normal! 

Linda T

• Posted

no its not just you linda- i have had joint pain for about 3 yrs. now especially in my left knee, have spent many nights awake in pain. just wish this part of my life was over and hopefully get back to "normal" whatever that might be??? tired of pain and feeling out of control of all of my emotions and just not being me!! well thanks for letting me vent hope better days are coming soon for all of us!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.