Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

I'm almost 2 years without a period. Most of the horrible things have subsided except I've started getting these pains in my arms... only when I wake up. After I force my body to warm up like an old tractor, then I'm fine. However when I'm laying in bed and when I first wake up it's very painful. So, like you, I started with Dr Google. OMG! The things you read will terrify you. I just closed the search window and said "look up menopause and bone pain". Viola! It brought me right back to the blog that has been helping me for a long time now. Unreal... I used to have pain in my achilles heal everymorning. That went away. Then elbow pain... that went away. Now in the upper arms. I know this too shall pass. Argh! I so appreciate this blog and all you ladies. Without this, we women would think we were all dying of some horrid disease! cry

I wish you all good heath! cheesygrin

• Posted

I hope it passes soon. Xx I have the feet and Achilles thing now. It's reasuring to hear that that will pass. I've also had the elbow pain, out of the blue , but gone now. I now have the jaw pain which is really persistent. I really hope that passes too. Lots of luck. Xx
    • Posted

Hi EvaServal

I found Accupuncture has helped my severe aches in my arms/shoulders, which were also particularly worse in bed, turning over and getting up in the morning. 

Give it. Try, good luck

• Posted

Hi, I was last on this site a whle ago with all the symptoms you are describing, however since then, and a myriad of blood tests and medication trials, I am now settled on Etanercept injections weekly, for Rheumatoid Arthritis!!

I was so sure that my symptoms were related to the menopause, and indeed the medics say the menopause could have sparked it off, but it is definitely RA and the medication I have now means that I am pain free. It is wonderful and hopefully lasts for a long time, so I would caution against self diagnosis, and press on with the medics until you get the correct treatment.

Good Luck!

Katie

• Posted

Hi Katie, good to know you are fine with your medications, that is the important thing!

Well,  I guess sometimes people forget to say it in every new coment...  But the first thing is to get yourself all tested - I was tested for all and more. From my point of view, if after all tests are normal, it is PROBABLY your hormons to blame.  

Xx

• Posted

hello there

I cant believe it I thought it was only me suffering with the joint pain which is driving me mad at the moment.

I totally sympathise with you

• Posted

Yes!!!  Suffering for 7 yrs & on a walker now, right hip down to toes weak & cold.  Seen every dr. alive and none can find anything.  Pain in elbow the last 2 wks & seems like left leg is starting to tingle, like ice cold sunburn!!  Thanks for the long explain-now I know I'm not crazy!  I pray healing for you & me~
  • Posted

Hi, Wanted to share very similar problems as you with same final diagnosis.  I too couldn't believe diagnosis of lack of estrogen causing two flareups of pain which 'bounced' from limb to limb.  Feet, fingers, elbows, knees, hips, legs arms.  What the heck was this........  Aching, shooting pain, ribs were sore all the time.  The last one lasted two month and left me with painful legs and knees I now cant sleep.  Some times I can barely walk, if I sit too long it kicks in and through the night and getting up out of bed.  I had some of this now and again but having double mastectomies four year back and being estrogen positive we started to block the estrogen.  Four chemos can also do strange things  The hot flashes, Americas call them flashes, not flushes, hit me all day an all night, I could sweat through to the matress, a ceiling fan helped some.  Then after many years they passed, believe me they were severe,  then just feeling wonderful for the first time in years these darn pains hit hard.  Doctors useless, thought I had bone cancer mets.  Then a Rhuematologist saw me, did a few hands on tests, listened to me, I wrote down a list of symptoms.  Said I had osteoarthritis in the neck, shoulders, jaw (I knew of these), all the fingers, feet, hips, knees, ellbows.  You are kidding me.........  Then bone loss in the spine and hips........ Yipee.  Then shocker, both knees would need knee replacements unless I started immediately certain exercises to stop osteo worstening.  Then said how fit I was.......  like where........  The knee test was simple and funny to see how they jumped to the side after running two fingers over them with the knees outstretched.  All the body pain was lack of estrogen which I cannot replenish as cancer was Estrogen Positive.  So daily tablet to stop the bone loss and help the joints.  Calcium and Vitamin D.  Knee exercising for six month should save them.  No HRT for me.  I can continue my beloved Pilates and Yoga.  Nightmare........
    • Posted

Hi Roz

what a nightmare you have gone through!  I don't have any experience with cancer, but I can certainly relate to the joint pains, and yes jumping randomly from joint to joint.  Usual blood tests show I'm peri menopausal, no periods now since April.  I saw a rheumatologist also, he diagnosed secondary fibromyalgia, when I asked if it was related to my declining hormones(as many ladies at this age are given this diagnosis!), he explained that when we go through hormonal changes, any problems we have are magnified. It seemed to make sense as I am prone to neck/back pain.  The feeling of working out in the gym or lifting heavy weights though was new for me, also the sudden fatigue.  

Anyway I've  tried various supplements over the past year and not sure they give much relief, but Accupuncture has helped me immensely. I was taking strong codeine 3-4x/day earlier in the year, and spending most evenings squealing in pain (much worse once sat down for a period, worse getting out of bed, unable to walk, had to hobble). I now only take codeine 2-3x/WEEK!  I had an intense course, every week for 5 weeks, which obviously broke the bank!  Now though, I just go once a month to maintain it, and so pleased with the results.  Now when I get the pains, it reminds me of how bad it used to be, and I know that they don't last like before.

if you can afford it, I can highly recommend it.  Good luck 

Viv

• Posted

Hi Lesley. I read your article and was surprised to know we almost have the same exact situation.  I recently turned 49 and have experienced most of the peri symptoms - migraine, irregular period, falling hair, insomnia, acne breakouts, hot flashes, night sweats, foggy brain (cant focus and concentrate) and lastly severe joint pains. The last one is the real bummer =(

Havent had the chance to visit my OB-Gyne lately but Im pretty sure she will be more open to discussing the causes and relate it to perimenopause. My wish is she can recommend something to ease the pain as it has been severe lately and it is difficult to live a normal life with this condition.

Thank you for posting your experiences here. Just knowing that I am not alone and that I am not just imagining the pain gives me comfort. 

Things will get better, I pray. That is my hope.

• Posted

hi lesley .. im 54 i just joined group and first one i read was yours i can relate to most things you say especially with achs and pains in joints, i also cant do HRT and hae been looking for a cure been through pregabalin pregabalin naproxen amytriptolene and many more .. then i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia by a rhumatologyst which i think is linked to the menopause .. i am now starting a tablet called nutrition FX that i found myself  (read up on it it sounds good, time will tell) im lucky to haue a good husband of 34 yrs who puts up with all my moaning ..
    • Posted

Hi Michelle

I turned 54 at the weekend.  Had such a great time getting old, I've resorted to joining a menopause forum ha, ha!

I searched section regarding joint pain and could not believe how many of us are suffering the same 'orrible symptoms. 

I have an outstanding appointment to see the results of a recent blood test, specifically for Vit D deficiency because I mentioned the aches.  I am terrible at actually going to the Docs, but as I've made the first inroad with this subject, I will go back  I'll also mention my dear ol' late mum's bone-related issues (TB in bones, 3 hip replacement ops) so that I'm not just sent off being told 'It's whats to be expected blah, blah, blah'. 

Like you, I have a great husband of 31yrs who, although I'm not sure he puts up with my moaning, he's a lovely bloke.  I feel so sorry for him as I have had a zero libido for ages now.  If nothing else I just want a pill to give me that back........and I'll jump his old bones at the drop of a hat ha, ha, ha!!!

Hope your meds work for you.  Have a good Christmas.

S

• Posted

Hi, I'm 58 and for years have been suffering pain in my back, legs, arms the same as you. Another thing l was having trouble with was my sore legs ankles, even the cat walking accross my knees would cause pain.

I have been going to a chiropractor for years and recently started seeing a different one. He remarked how sore l was, l explained that l had been telling doctors for years and had nothing done. He then put an acid strip in my mouth, he said my body was full of acid from tooo much coke zero.

He put me on some acid detox tablets and they worked. I also took a green super food, within a short time l felt fantastic. Most doctors wont test for acid levels, you can purchase the strips at a health food store. It may not work for you but it is worth looking at.

• Posted

Hi Lesley and all you other ladies here on the blog,

Lesley, your blog has changed my life, well at this present time anyway. I have started going through menopause during that last 12 months, and thought I was dying! Just as it did with you, my elbows started to ache several months ago, and ache they still do, in varying degrees. It's the feeling of utter uselessness and my inability to even open a jar that upsets me most as I have always been so very active and strong! 

I've stopped throwing the ball for my dog to fetch at the beach as the pain afterwards is just so bad. At night if one of my arms is straightened out, the elbow pains but if I bend it, it will pain again soon after. 

After laying awake in fear night after night, I googled " menopause symptoms" and found I could relate to at least 30 of the possible 35 symptoms! 

The joint pain was attributed to an apparent "spike" in estrogen. Made sense to me! 

I have shoulder pain and now after horse riding, I feel an ache in my coxis (tailbone). Lordy, is there anything left to enjoy? I mean wow! I seem to be nothing but a nagging bundle of aches and pains, and I feel like I've aged 10 years in just 1. I have the daytime hot flushes and night sweats as well, and as I live in Australia, the humidity here is my worst enemy. 

My son has studied nutrition and fitness, works in a health store and has got me onto Green Lipped Mussel capsules. They do seem to provide some relief from the joint pain, plus I'm taking a natural menopause medication called Promensil. 

It was such a relief to read that others have such similar issues in menopause, although it's just sad we have to go through this at all!      

I have shied away from HRT as my mother in law developed breast cancer within a year of going on HRT some years ago. 

I have decided to seek advice from a naturopath and go for regular massages to help to cope with my joint pains and overall sense of lowness.        

Plus, thanks to this forum, I don't feel so isolated anymore! Thanks! smile  

• Posted

hi gabriella .. iv also suffered (and today is a bad day) with pain in shoulder arn around elbow to wrist like the bone is bruised cant ooen jars or even lift the kettle on days .. i was diagnosed with fibrimyalgia which i think is linked in a big way to the menopause .. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.