Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It's so good to have found this site as I was googling it. I'm 49 years old. Though no hot flushes, experiencing elbow pain (everyone says it's tennis elbow) and worst of all for no reason a part of my left foot swelled, red and in pain. Though no fracture after x-ray, GP said muscle strain, ligament torn, etc. Seeked treatment at traditional Chinese doctor, who massaged thoroughly. After 2 treatments, no improvement. 

With information from this site, I plan to go for other tests - hormone, inflammation, thyroid and vitamin D deficiency. And also start changing food dietary. Hope there's a solution. 

Thank you all! 

• Posted

Sue, being checked is always the first thing.  I had pain in all my joints (shoulder,knees,feet,elbows) and muscles for a while.  It stopped same way it started.  My gyno never believed it was from peri... Tested me for every autoimmune desease she knows.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi , I had elbow pain last ur which was like tennis elbow, at least that's what the physio said. It's gone now completely. I've also had painful feet and ankles recently which has also improved a bit now. The worst for me is jaw joint pain and neck pain. Really hoping it goes the same way as the rest but have had it a while now.xx
    • Posted

Mooma, I remember you telling about your elbow...  I had exactly the same thing that time.  I never went to a doctor to check specifically that, but my gyno tested me for the most things, once I complained of pain on my joints and muscles.  Got happy she did not find anything and just waited, hoping it would desappears- and it desappear, with all the other WEIRD things. I seriously wonder if some of the ladies here were not misdiagnosed... Xx and HAPPY AND HEALTH NEW YEAR TO ALL!
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I've literally just joined this site as I have so many questions of my own to ask - thought a forum would be the best place to start!

And what should I read first:  someone (You!!) who described the exact same symptoms I have been experiencing!

My joint pain is not entirely new - have ached for yonks. But the specific areas of neck, shoulders and now (this past week) my elbows, has been really unbearable. 

insomnia. Inner furnice heat (so my ol' man says!), joint pain, bloody headaches (that I know are no sinus/viral-related) are coming back.  I know I'm a rotten person at the moment:  you can't imagine how horrible I've been reacting to someone not sending me a Christmas card (!!!).

Thought I'd get the ball rolling and went to see NP who I thought might be best person in our Surgery. She listened, sympathised and suggested we start with some 1 4wk course of SSRIs (I think she listened to me saying I had cried watching 'Don't Tell the Bride' and that was my fate sealed!).   Lets say, they haven't seen the light of day as the list of side effects were that long...and some!  Would take 3 times as long to wean myself off the bloody things!! 

Had toyed with some Progesteron cream prior to going to NP:  had stopped with this for a couple of months to see if I can notice a change in some of my symptoms, but I don't want to say I have.....until I start taking the new supply I've just ordered, which I will be able to say yes/no with a bit more conviction.

In the New Yr, I'll go back the NP, tell her about my joint pain, in relation to my mum's history, and if nothing else, I'll ask for blood test to check my hormone levels. 

L, I can't tell you if the progesterone cream is helping me yet (chose that over eostrogen as my symtoms seem to be more P related rather than E at the mo).  If its OK with you, I'll wait for Santa (or the bloke from Hermes, I don't care who, just get it to me pronto!!) delivers my supply of cream, give it a while to kick in (if it does) and let you know how I feel with it.  All I will say at this stage in its favour is that I did not ache to the degree I am now when I was applying the cream.  Fingers X'd then....!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.  Listen, if the turkey burns: tough!  Try not to kick it from here to China; don't down a bottle of Prosecco; and try not to burst into tears - its only Christmas (as I keep having to remind myself :D!)

S

• Posted

Hi shaznay

I remember feeling such relief to find this discussion started by Leslie, been on here since about April, and it is amazing to hear other ladies describing my symptoms.  My main complaint was the severe muscle/joint ache's and sudden fatigue.  Blood test confirmed peri, last period April this year.  I have tried various supplements, magnet etc, but by far the greatest relief has come from accupuncture.  I started with a 5 weekly course, now just go once a month for maintenance.  I have reduced my co-codamol 30/500, from3-4x/day, to once/ day, usually in the evening, so I'm not in too much pain in bed.  

The rheumatologist diagnosed fibromyalgia, which I know many ladies of this age group are diagnosed with.  I have just started reading "screaming to be heard" very interested book recommended on here last week.  Which covers all these symptoms and explains why we experience them.  I would recommend it.

good luck with getting some relief, and with the poor Hermes man!

Viv

• Posted

Eva - If you can't laugh....you'll only cry!   Nope. I'm going to be 'tear free' this Christmas.........as long as someone doesn't wind me up!!

Merry Christmas to you too!

• Posted

Hi Viv , have just literally joined this forum this morning ,came across it after googling ,why is my entire body aching ! Thought I might have Fibromyalgia ,but after reading this think probably more due to perimenopause ! Am nearly 50 ,have been suffering from increased mood swings ,increased PMS ,only seem to feel " normal " for about 3 days of the month during what I assume is ovulation ,my periods are now regular after years of being irregular ( thought they were supposed to become more irregular ) not the other way round ,would be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else ? , anyway have had shoulder pain on and off for approx 3 years so genuinely think this is wear and tear ,I work as a HCA on a busy trauma ward so lots of manual handling ! But the last couple of days my whole body aches , seemingly not a joint or muscle not affected ,thought might be a virus but no other symptoms , turning over in bed painful , seemingly any movement ,my coccyx has been painful over the last couple of months , is there an area not affected by this ? No hot sweats as yet , but do suffer from insomnia ! Went to see a female GP a couple of years ago as couldn't cope with the mood swings ( was affecting my marriage of nearly 30 years ) her response was ( we don't like to dish out HRT anymore because of the risks involved ) more or less told me to get on with it ! Once again went to see a male GP this year who was equally unsympathetic , although he did prescribe HRT in tablet form ,which is far have chickened out of taking after reading the long list of side effects ! Did try the lady magnet thing that one places in ones knickers only thing it did was give me a rash , and attached me to the shopping trolley in the supermarket ! Anyway it is nice that there is a forum like this so that people can share experiences ! Might have to consider the HRT if these aches and pains continue , am a keen walker as have a dog but even that is becoming painful now so thereby taking away the enjoyment ! 
    • Posted

Hi sarah. Like you I've just joined this forum. Think it is going to be my new BFF!!

Aches. Pains. Moany. Short-tempered. Insomniac. Aches. Pains. But still bloody regular as clockwork -grrrrrr!  Like you, I feel like I'm coming down with a virus eg: the aches etc.  But for the past few years I had that in the few days leading up to actually bleeding. 

You too seem to have been fobbed off by a female GP: I think they are so less sympathetic than male GPs (except yours, unfortunately!).  Go back and ask for some blood tests.  Like you, I think I'm trying to keep myself off HRT for as long as I can, but feel like the best thing for this might actually be to start it - for the sake of my poor aching bones and joints!!

Going back to walking myself, and a bit of v. low impact power walking exercises (good ol' YouTube introduced me to Lesley Sansone's exercise DVDs: brilliant for me as I cannot inflict my huffing, puffing and sweating on anyone else in a gym!!)

Keep your chin up. I've been married for 31yrs to a very tolerent man (for the time being).  I really NEED to help us reach our 32nd anniversary by addressing this curse, known as the menopause!

• Posted

Sarah, welcome.  This website has been my sorce of information about peri for the last year.  When I joined it, on december last year, I literaly throught I was dying, lol.  The worst was NOT KNOWING.  The few women I had to ask, never had anything like that. In here I found lots of precious information, several comments abouts diet, vitamins, etc.  HRT?!  I was offered by a female gyn that does not even believe all those symptoms come from PERI, what was kind good for she tested me for every possible thing.  I am too scared to try HRT - doctors do not even agree if it does better than worse - but up to 6 months ago I was even considering it for my body ached, joints and muscles. Everything squeeked, turning the head was noisy and scarry. But then I thought, it would stop some point, and it stopped.  I guess each one of us is different, for some it takes more time, but eventually it will stop.  I just think that all the symptoms are real and can cause damage. Lets say, if your joints ache, even that caused by hormones, you are more stiff, so prone to sprain an ankle or strain a muscle, so take care and be more conscious when you are sore.  Besides that, exercise. I do yoga, somedays it was just hard, every movement hurt, but with consciouness, not forcing it,  I noticed I felt much better after.  So, walk your dog, even if it is not easy, it is going to you good. There is light in the end of the tunnel.  

Ooops, just something I remember...  During the time I was more regular, aches and symptoms were worse, like my body straining to keep what was "normal" but did not have how to do it!  Now i am not that regular but feel much better.

Have a wonderful, healthy, new year and keep in touch!

• Posted

Hi thanks for replying to me ! Nice to know that there are others out there experiencing similar symptoms ,well not nice obv, but comforting to know that we are not alone ! Happy New Year ! 
    • Posted

Hi thanks for welcoming me to this forum ,yes absolutely intend to keep walking my dog ,as I realise that staying immobile makes matters worse , also the " green gym " is beneficial for mood swings ! Happy New Year ! 
    • Posted

I've just been reading the BBC News Page and read about the sad passing of Debbie Purdy.  Her long, horrible battle with MS and its terrible associated pain is over.........and very much puts my aches and pains into perspective.  Life could be a lot worse, I now truly know.  Poor woman. Lets hope she's gone to a nice place, for those who, like me, like to think there might just be.  RIP Debbie.
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

welcome me to this fantastic forum.  It has helped me immensely over the past year.  My symptoms, that were recognisable started with warm glows in the summer of 2013. At that time I researched various supplements and opted for the magnet, which took away the glows immediately.  However this was short lived, by the start of this year I star with the severe all over body aches & pains, with frequent bouts of sudden fatigue. To cut long story short as you can see from my post to Shaznay above, Accupuncture has been my saviour.  Turning over in bed, getting out of bed were all pretty painful movements, I used to dread going to bed for a period of time, but now I can move about with a lot less pain.  My various investigations including ultrasound of my shoulders, which confirmed bursitis, and MRI of my neck which degenerative changes and lordosis (brought about by poor posture) I often have my shoulders up by my ears!   The Accupuncture has reduced all these symptoms, they have not gone completely but are of a more manageable level.  My daughter teaches yoga, and for a while she gave me individual sessions, which really helped to loosen up the tight feeling across my chest and shoulders that was particularly bad when I got up in the morning.  

From what I have learnt on here is that there are many ladies far worse off than I am, some in too much pain to continue to work etc.  I hope you are able to find something that suits you, if you can afford it, give Accupuncture a go, I was very sceptical at first, being in the health industry myself I tend to go for the medical model of treatment, but have to accept the benefits I am experiencing.

Ignore the GP who told you to get on with it.  Read "screaming to be heard" it was recommended on here a week or so, written by a female American doctor, about female hormones controlling our lives, I down it from kindle and finding it fascinating.

good luck

Viv

• Posted

Hi Viv thanks for replying to my post ,will have to read " screaming to be heard " ,am in agreement with you turning over in bed at the moment is most uncomfortable , might try acupuncture , did try it some years ago as suffered from severe panic attacks unfortunately didn't seem to help so ended up taking Seroxat , still on it some 15 yrs later but very low dose , have to say it was my life saver , one thing I have noticed over the last couple of years and am sure it is due to perimenopause is that the panic attacks have made a return ,certainly to a lesser degree but all the same not pleasant ! Happy New Year ! 
    • Posted

You're welcome, let me know how you get on.

Happy New Year to you too.

Viv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.