Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Thank god I found this thought I was really sick. Had breast cancer and surgery over a year ago and thought the worst with all these symptoms, thought I was dying for sure. But no, just a spot of menopause, ouch, absolutely everything hurts like the flu body aches, running up and down my body as well as  joint pain, and hot flashes feels like I'm goin to self combust. So I can calm down and wait it out. 
    • Posted

Lucky you that you have hot flashes.  Many of us do not have, so there is no clue, rolleyes.  Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hello Lesley,

Well I have all the same symptons as you...Back in August I went of Birth control  which I immediately began to have joint pain.. I also experienced abdominal discomfort here and there that I know is hormone related.  I had the same problem when I was 12 when I started my period. Right now i am experiencing trigger thumb on top of that...I just made an Appt. to see my GP...but now I think I should see someone who specializes...

• Posted

Hi Lesley I have just read your article and saw it was posted a year ago and was just wondering how your feeling now? When I read your article it was just as if you were discribing myself . The pains in my legs and shoulder are getting my down I feel about 84 not54. Been to doctors and had every test and they cannot find anything wrong was giving pain killers but this is not the answer. Just wandering if there is light at the end of the tunnel .
    • Posted

Hi Evan

I haven't seen Leslie post on here for several months.  She actually started this forum back in 2012, when I came across it in March this year, I read all the posts from then to the present day, and have kept up with it since.  It has helped me tremendously.  I can't thank her enough.  I vaguely remember her posting about a particular diagnosis she had been given, but due to my crap memory, I can't remember what it was. I hope she is feeling better.

It is amazing to hear other women describe our weird symptoms and understand that we are not alone.  I have also had severe aches & pains, worse in the morning, and sudden fatigue.  These are now reduced after commencing Accupuncture, I was very sceptical prior to starting. I had an intensive course weekly for 5 weeks, now I have it monthly.  Although it can be expensive, for the relief I have now got, it was worth every penny.  I now take painkillers a lot less.

The fact that all your tests come back negative, confirms that it is peri, not something more sinister.

Welcome to the club, and expect to get lots of support and advice from all the ladies on this forum.

Viv

• Posted

Hi viv 

Thank for the welcome and will indeed look into accupunture . Won't mind paying if it works . Been to Heath shop , chemists and just so many tablets on the market for menopause feel as if just throwing good money after bad . The pains in my feet, hip, shoulder and knees are soon bad and am sick of moaning gone from pretty fit person to a wreck  even had to reduce my hours at work. Thanks for listening to this moaning minny will let you no how I get on and thanks again for the welcome 

evan

• Posted

Hi Deb, ladies, Deb I know how you feel - I was the same when I discovered this site. All of you ladies are describing my life - I'm only 44 but feel at least 90! Deb, I am fortunate to have a symphathetic lady gp and she prescribed me hrt staight away when I first got very ill last July. it did help the sympthoms,straight away, but I had such bad heart palpitations that I decided to stop it. Sadly, the pain came back and I'm trying to live with it. It will be a while for me, as I still have my periods and the latest tests came back not menopausal. I suspect I have this hormonal disbalance mentioned by some of you ladies although I really do not understand all this very much, other than I have been tested and scanned for all illnesses possible and not got them, thanks G. So, what helps me, is non acidy diet (cut on citrus, no alcohol, green veg etc) and hot yoga. I also try to walk home from work, at least twice a week. I do get vertigo and all those fainting sensations described by some of you ladies.I had to leave the job and career I so liked because it involved commuting and I simply could not do it. Wish you all get better! Happy new year everyone! Kat
  • Posted

I'm glad to hear that I'm not crazy and not the only one going through this. I've been going through menopause for about a 1 1/2 and finally went to see my GP because I was tired of the hot flushes. She put me on hormone therapy and for the first month it seemed to be the answer. After the first month my joints started hurting and muscles, became more tired and sluggish, and irritable. I really don't know what to do and am only 47. Could someone please help. I have so much pain I don't want to get out of bed and would really like some good pain killers (if it would help), I also have been experiencing weakness in my joints and muscles. 

Thanks to anyone who could help with any suggestions.

Brenda

• Posted

Hi Brenda, I'm 44, and I have been having these problems for about 2 years, but very much so from April last year. You probably had already done this - but if not, you need to ask your GP to refer you to do tests - for anything and everything really, like osteoporosis and checking your ovaries etc - you just need to make sure first that it is menopause that makes you ill, and nothing else. I know it is not an easy task, but you need to know what is going on. If they cannot find anything, except hormones all over the place, like it happened with me, then you can find a lot of good advise on this website, and try things out. For me, and for many ladies on this site, it's trial and error, really, there is no recipe that fits all I don't think. Hot yoga and non acidy died helps me a bit, I was prescribed D vitamin with calcium, I take magnesium, and use magnesium spray on sore bits like elbows, knees, etc - whenever it hurts. I tried HRT but it made me palpitate too much so I've stopped, just ticking along at the moment, I have flu-like pains most of the time, and really bad pains before my periods. Hope this helps just a bit! Take care.Kat
    • Posted

Thanks Kat for your info. I had tests done 6 months ago and it showed that I am going through menopause. I didn't know about magnesium, but willing to give it a try. I have always been out going but since the pains started I just don't want to do more than normal to become stiff. So, I just do what is needed done around the house and that's it. Again, thanks for some things to try.

Brenda

• Posted

Hi KatN22

Have to go back to the GP for blood test results re:  Vit D deficiency in particular, which I know I'll be lacking:  natural blonde with skins, who hates the sun and hasn't drunk much milk since 13 - due to snotty nose!!

I have to say that I am really bad at going to my GP - for anything.  I've always been one of those 'grin and bear it'-types.....that Doctor's are now trying to convince us not to be, and go to them before symptoms get worse!! 

I've replied to you as, like you, I get those horrible flu-like symptoms a lot of the time, and just before my Ps in particular.  My aches have really upped the ante these past couple of months.  Finally got myself some vits to tide me over (D, Cal and Mag). Have to ask: did your GP prescribe the magnesium spray as my elbows are giving me so much gyp at the mo? 

I think the short answer for me is.....go see your GP!!!!   I don't know why I'm so anti-Docs.   I've always been a self-diagnosing (borderline hypercondriac!!) who hates taking any meds.  I cannot believe how many meds my sister takes (62) as I don't take anything.....yet!

• Posted

Hi Shaznay, no you don't need a prescription for the magnesium spay - you can just get it from Holland&Barrett (I presume you are in UK). There are 3 types, I use the one for joints (blue- writing on bottle). I bought one yesterday its £12.50. It works instantly once you spray, and brings relief. It is totally harmless and you can use it as much as you like. I swear by it, especially in the mornings, when I am stiff most. It helped everyone I have recommended it to, so far. Hope it will help you too! So good to hear from a fellow blond - I also 'tan' only under the umbrella! Hence vit D deficite probably... Let me know how you get on. Kat
    • Posted

Hi KatN22

Yep in UK.  Had a look online at H&B.  Sounds very good so will give it a go.

Don't know if you're following 'debwestmids' thread, but she's posted a few replies she's received from another site from someone with a medical background.  They suggested we keep ourselves hydrated - drink plenty of water.  Read the post with my gob open and my cheeks blushing:  it all makes so much sense as it helps so many of our symptoms.  I'll put my hands up to not drinking much water at all:  that changed as of today!

Sx

• Posted

Thanks I will definitely read it. It is very true - I make an effort and drink loads and loads of water (I keep a jar on my desk at work), coffee and tea, also herbal tea - I pretty much drink all day! Yes it does make a big difference. take care. K
  • Posted

Hi Ladies, hope you all had a good festive break? Just wanted to share this with you all! I take vitamin D310ug – B6 150mg in the mornings. In the evening I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain.

Over the hoilday I forgot to take the Vitabiotics for 3 nights & my muscle pain came back big time, so I wont be forgetting them ever again. The power of these tablets really work well for me so please give them a months trial, I really hope they can help you all too?

• Posted

Thanks Barbara for that I do. After noticing a terrible increase in my aches and fatigue over Xma, I tink your advise sounds great! I'll get myself into Boots/H&B and check those out x
    • Posted

'....for that advice.' Bloody tablet and predicted text!! Not to mention fat finger syndrome :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.