Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, started Menopause at 46 after having an Ablasion. Now 48, i started a job which is active and involves lifting. I now get hand, elbow,knee and foot pain.

It is not severe about a 5/6. I take mixed vitamins and soya and evening primroseetc which i buy from a well known large chemist/shop and have done so from the beginning,but I dont know what to do about the joint pain? I dont want to go to HRT.

Lisa

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I can sympothise with all he ladies on this forum it is hard to believe that these symptoms can be linked to the menopause I have terrible aches and pains in my joints doctors are not helpful I was given tablets and told not to take them longer than 5-10 days or they can cause stomachs ulcers!! Great info.

But ladies spread the word I laughed when a lay to me this but all I can say is try it for yourselves and see if it doesnt work then all you have lost is around &7.00 and it wont harm you, are you ready ladies well put a tiny magnet in your knickers and it can stop your hot flushes, I am living proof it really works you can get them on Ebay just type in magnetic plasters they are the size of a 10p nd are worn comfortably and know one will ever know! unless you go through a scanner at the airport if it dont work for you then at least it gives your friends a really good laugh, try it a see x

• Posted

Hello Lesley & all. I was just wandering today if the Doctors I've been seeing (believe me I've seen a few over the last 2 years) will ever find a diagnosis for the debilitating pain I've experienced in my hands "yes those things you everything with" lol, it's been hell, I can't work, do the ironing, walk the dogs on my own or any gardening & what I can do takes me forever. I've had 4 Ops "Carpal Tunnel in both, thumb joint replacement on one, the other needs doing, a cervical spine nerve release op in August & steroid injections, All to no avail.. When the spinal op failed to help I wandered if it could be hormonal, as since having my symptoms have heard carpal tunnel & nerve pain are quit common during pregnancy! I'm 55, have most of the symptoms of peri menopause with the exception of a regular monthly cycle grr! lol but I've noticed over the last six or so months that my hands & most of my joints are so much worse just before my period, could this be It? I have discussed this with my GP but she's not convinced as I have the mirana coil which should provide me with enough estrogen ??  Would you know If theirs a test I can have to find out? & if anyone thinks the mirana coil could be interfering with my hormones? Thank you & hope things are improving for you. Thank you for this blog, I wouldn't wish this on anyone but in the nicest possible way relieved I'm not alone! Sandra
    • Posted

Hi sandra

You've gathered that we're all cracking up on a daily basis.! For me its left shoulder joint/elbow. Being left handed its a right pest. Had to change my car last year for an auto is of probs changing gears.

OK you might be getting plenty of estrogen, but what about your progesterone levels? Have you had a blood test to check? Maybe suggest it to your GP.

Are you being treated for Peri at all, aside from yr problems with your hands? I only ask as all of us who are wracked with aches n' pains take some sort of vit/min supplements and find a bit/lots of relief. Maybe talk to your GP before buying over-the-counter stuff tho' as, with your health history, she might have some of the 'good stuff' on prescription for you!

You have my total sympathy x

• Posted

Hi Sandra

It is almost certainly hormonal, particularly as surgery has not eased your symptoms. 

I had severe bilateral thumb pain about 3 yrs ago, GP said it was arthritis (without XRay confirmation), physio said not arthritis, must be coming from my neck.  Physio on my spine, didn't really help. Alexander technique seemed to ease pain, but couldn't afford to keep up with treatments, then thumb pain went.  1 year ago, developed the severe joint/muscle pains in shoulders/neck/arms/hips and random pains in legs & feet.  Worse in the morning, very stiff.  Also sudden fatigue.  Luckily I found this site, and realised that I was not alone.  All through this time, I had the Mirena coil, and thought I would escape menopausal symptoms, but no.  I had it removed about 6 months ago, as my blood tests showed I was perimenopausal. So it didnt help me.

What I have found helps immensely is acupuncture.  I had an intensive course weekly for 6 weeks, I now go monthly, to every six weeks.  I hardly ever need the strong pain killers (co-codamol 30/500), which I was taking up to 3 times/day.  It cost me a lot of money initially, but now just go once a month it is more manageable, best money I have ever spent, to be having a lot less pain and fatigue.  Please give it a go.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on.

Viv

• Posted

Hello Viv thank you, I will try acupuncture ASAP so glad it's helped you, this isn't funny! I'm having the mirana coil removed on Thursday, did you notice an improvement soon after having yours removed? I'm praying that it's what's causing most of the pain in my hands. I am having a special X-Ray on my neck on Friday where you actually move it instead of being still & I'm under investigation with the Urology team because of on going infections but somethings telling me this is all Hormonal. Just looking through this forum I'm amazed how our hormones have such a drastic affect on our bodies & scary how not one of the Doctors/GP's have suggested anything! I'll keep you posted.
    • Posted

Hi Shaznay

Glad I'm in good company (cracking up too lol) I've had several blood tests over the past 2 yrs but not specifically for my hormone levels, would these not automatically show in a all round blood test? I'm going to see Gynaecologist on Thursday so I'll mention all of this to them. I do take all of the vitamins you've stated with the exception of vitamin D as I get blood shot eyes when I take it ?? I also take Pregabalin which I think interfere's with some of the things I eat & drink that I had no problem with before ? I have found Red Clover to be the best thing for my hot flushes. Once I've got the results of the scan & Xray (ive mentioned on Vivs reply)  & spoken to the gynea, I should know more & will keep you posted 

take care, Sandra

• Posted

Hi Sandra.I had loads of routine blood tests and they all came back normal.I had to specifically ask for a hormone imbalance test after my huby had heard an expert discussing it on a radio show.So i thought its worth a try.my blood test came back as "menopausal changes" and i had a very high reading,although i am officially only in perimenopause because i have had a period in the last few months.Not at any stage did any dr ask about my periods or my age or even mention any thing to do with menopause and if i hadn't of asked for the test,i would have probably still being going backwards and forwards for tests thinking there was something seriously wrong with me.The total lack of support you get is just disgusting.You will get lots of help yhough off here though hun.Please ask for that test just so that you know  where you stand x
    • Posted

Hi Sandra,

No, I didn't get any relief from the coil removal, what I did notice was a full on normal period, not had anything like that for probably 20 yrs, as have always been on either contraceptive pill or coil.  So my hormones have been artificially controlled, now they are in charge (or lack of them).  That was in July last year so 6 months away from menopause if I don't get any more.

I'm glad you're giving acupuncture a try, I wish I had tried it earlier, but it wasn't until I hit desperation that I tried it, as I'm a nurse, I don't tend to go with alternative treatments, and follow the medical model, but I have been proved wrong, thankfully.

Please let me know how you get on.

Viv

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I'm sorry my letter is not long but I have been having hot flushes and also feeling extremely achy.  I have just turned 53 and for the last three years my periods seem to be taking longer to occur.  I also had hot sweating but only in the day previously, until December when they started to happen at all times of the day and night, sometimes beginning with a slight tummy ache or headache.  The sweat seem to be getting stronger and more uncomfortable but what I find worse is my pelvic floor and hip joints can be quite painful and I feel like a cripple.  When I was pregnant with my fourth child over twenty years ago and at the end of the pregnancy I could hardly walk due to weak ligaments across the pelvis area and I thought it could be to do with that, but now after reading this I am not so sure.  I feel depressed as I feel like a train coming to the end of its line.  Though realise it is part of nature and have to accept it.  Funnily enough, I am experiencing a steaming flush right now and it makes me feel quite unwell.  I hope you don't feel so alone in this situation and I hope you can find a way to ease your symptoms as I hope to do.

Josie

• Posted

Thank you thank you ladies for confirming there are actually other women out there going through the same stuff! as I thought I was going slowly mad! Not yet 52 but feeling 102 I have been suffering from all of these symptoms that you and the other ladies describe, and suddenly this morning I burst into tears, and concluded that I will now have to go down the route of HRT much to my sadness, I had made myself a promise that this route I would avoid at all cost, I have almost been unable to carry out a normal days work even simple housework.

its not that I have admitted defeat I suddenly realised that if my brother-in-law could go through cancer treatment which he didn't want and survive then I can go down the route of taking HRT as his illness was far far greater than mine, so I no longer feel defeated but feel a weight has been lifted and hopefully I will start smiling, and enjoying life again instead of making mine and my families lives a misery.

Watch this space as I will post my progress as and when on hear, good luck to all you ladies suffering the same. :0)

• Posted

karen, I for one will track your progress with interest!

I too would love to ward off giving in to HRT but, as you now rightly state and acknowledge, life is a bit too precious to see it through feeling miserable, hateful and having a negative impact on those we love.

I've given myself till the end of Feb to see how things pan out after a horrendous 19-day bleed over 25 days at Xmas/NY.  Like you its the aching that's the real nightmare:  starts with that flu'-like fatigue to full blown 95yr olds' aching joints! 

Since I stopped bleeding, I've been in a very uncharacteristically good mood, almost what I'd imagine a bi-polar high to be like.  Still in it, which is great, but horror of all horrors, I've got a faint bleed todaysad.  That was my cue to let rip at the poor bloke who had the misfortune to take my call at TV Licencing!  Bombarded me all wk with Reminder emails, then wouldn't let me pay online. Lets say I probably ruined his day, but hey young man, try living a week of my life.....seriously, I loved letting rip (wicked cow)twisted!!

I'd got the mindset that after the Xmas fiasco, I would start to experience irregular or, my greatest wish, I'd actually miss a P.  Yeah right! 

I'm going to see how I manage this P, and then maybe its time to take myself 'Down to the Doctors',because I concluded I ain't gunna be a Martyr to this curse. I'm  not gunna ache if I don't have to, and I'm thinking of others with regards the 'Red Mist' rages - excluding Call Centre workers who interrupt me day and night........!

You're right: takes something like your bro-in--law's terrible illness to put things in perspective: we've got HRT ready for the taking, and the chances are it'll make things so much easier to handle, even if it does defer fullblown symptoms while we're on it.

Please let us all know how things go for you.  (Don't know if you're in the UK, but on Monday 26th in the Daily Mail's Health section (online version) they had a great article about 3 women and their experience of HRT. Great read and very reassuring!

Sx

• Posted

Omg. I am sitting her crying. So glad i found this. For almost 6 months I have had the most elbow, shoulders, neck, wrist, back pain ever. All kinds of test run. Going thru PT now for my elbows being so sore. 3 cortizone shots. My Estrogen was increased about 9 months ago to 1 mg a day. And about 5 or 6 months ago I started with the joint pain. Had started the heat flashes (sudden and fast) and nights sweats about 2 years ago. Just started this flushing thing from the chest up. I told my GP last month something was just wrong. All my blood tests came back ok. Have been on ADD meds for a year because I can't focus or remember anything. Pain pills. Anti flams, which are killing my stomach. Then to the anti flam creams. I have lost 90 lbs in the past 2 years due to IBS and wheat allergies. The past couple of days I have been going nuts because I just hurt so bad. I never thought to relate the joint paint to PM. I will be 49 in a few weeks and due to partial hysterectomy been going thru PM for about 4 years now. Thank you. My next test WILL be a bone density test to rule that out (or in) I want off all the pills except estrogen. And add ones that will actually help not just cover the symptoms. smile
    • Posted

Hi karen do you seem to itch a lot and comw out in like heat bumps i also get dry mouth feels like my throat is closing up and also joint pain dont want to do anything feel so drained
    • Posted

Wendy.

I break out in a rash sometimes when I get out of the shower or been in the heat a lot. I am allergic to wheat so if I eat enough of it I will also break out with a rash. Have not experienced the dry mouth yet. But I drink a lot of water.

• Posted

Hi Karan.  Good that you found us!  This website was a life saver for me and many ladies, not just because many have valuable information to share, but mainly because we come to understand what the heck is happening!  As you, I had all tests, including bone scan, all good. It took a while, but all the bad symptoms are gone. I do not know anything about hysterectom...  It looks like the rules are different but watch out, I learned that estrogen  dominance can be the cause of the majority of the discomfort, so maybe you just need to take less of it. But that is just a guess. Other thing I learned, once our hormones get kind sorted, we feel much better smile. Again, not sure about your case, becase of the partial hysterectomy.  

Be always positive, that is a phase that our hormones play with our bodies and minds, so keep strong.  For some it is more difficult than for others, that I learned here. 

Welcome and good luck. Keep posting!

• Posted

Thank you.

After reading your post I looked up estrogen dominant. And that could very well be it. I have more of those symptoms then the perimenapause symptoms. I will have to try the detox for awhile and see. My GYN upped my Estrogen but my GP was not happy about it at all. I can't go high fiber since it's something I have a problem with buy I can do the rest. I will try anything at this point to not hurt.. thank you again.

• Posted

I am happy that you searched.  PM is basically hormonal umbalance, I get it is easier to be low in progesterone, so estrogen gets dominant, but I am far from been an expert. I just did what you did and I found that many of our complaints may be very well related to it.  For how long you have been like that?  For me it took about 6 months of agony and not knowing what was happening (heart racing, flu like symptoms, allergies, dizzyness, trouble breathing, etc) and somehow things got slowly back to normal.  My GYN offered hormones (even not believing all that is related to PM - she is a little younger and goes by the book!) but I was not sure if I needed, if it would work or even if it was safe, so I endure it,  hoping it would pass...  and it passed. Some times I still have painful and noisy joints, that I can relate more to my period than to what I eat, but most of the time, I have not much to complain, TG. Many ladies found that vitamins and diet (not only fiber, but more vegetables, fruits, lean meat and less fat, carbs and sugar) help a lot. Have you tried that?!

Let us know...

• Posted

Hi karan 

Acupuncture helped my arm/neck/hand/thumb pains. After 6 week intensive treatments, I have reduced strong pain killers from 3x/day to once just now and again.  I highly recommend it. Worth every penny.

good luck

Viv

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.