Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,  I was very interested to read your original post and all the others that came after.  I have just turned 60 and thinking back my problems probably started when I was about 45.  I didn't connect any of them with menopause or hormones.  I had always been very fit and healthy but around 45 I noticed my hair starting to fall out.  I was losing so much that after a few years I was surprised I had any left. Then my neck started feeling tender and crunching when I turned my head.  I assumed it was arthritis and started taking celery supplements which really helped for a while.  At about 48 I got a frozen shoulder.  It was agonising and took 2 years to feel better.  During this time my periods started to become a bit erratic so I knew menopause wasn't far off.  Just as the frozen shoulder was starting to resolve I started getting severe pain across my upper back and down my shoulder blades.  Excruciating and constant.  I found acupuncture a blessing for this, it really helped.  Next thing to go were my knees.  They crunched when I bent them and were painful going up stairs or inclines.  At about 54 the hot flushes began.  I didn't know what to expect with them and I was surprised that it wasn't just feeling unbearably hot but I had a skin tingling sensation before they happened which was really unpleasant as well.  I started taking herbal supplements which seemed to help for a while but after a year or so the symptoms were too much for me and I got low dose HRT patches.  The hot flushes disappeared, it was wonderful.  I still had aches and pains although not so severe.  I stayed on the patches for about 3 years and went off them as I was a bit worried about reports of HRT and cancer.  The flushes came back and I got another frozen shoulder.  
    • Posted

Oh my! HRT is such a slippery slope! My hair started falling out in early my 40s along with a complete loss of sex drive (no self gratification urges either). My eyebrows are all but gone - had to have them tattooed on. I am 1/2 lebanese and used to have dark hair on my arms.... Gone (although I don't mind this one). Hot flashes, night sweats, PVCS -- I have all of it but each symptom is helped by one thing or another that I take (creams to supplements)… Except this pain. Nothing seems to help this pain except hot bath with Epson salts. And high doses of Advil. Thanks for replying--knowing I am not alone really makes the day more tolerable.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I am so glad I found this conversation. I was going through the Perimenopause for around two years and the hot flashes became to much for me and I went onto HRT, only a low dose but it did the trick and the flashes stopped within a week. I then had a motorbike accident and during the scan they found my Gall Bladder was packed full of stones which they said can be caused by HRT and promptly refused to give me any more HRT. During the few months that followed not only did the hot flashes come back but my hair started falling out, every time I washed my hair I would have handfulls, it was everywhere I could see it on my bedroom carpet and in the footwell of the car I was getting so upset. Its probably looked worse as my hair is (or was) quite long and thick. I also started to get body pain. I thought I was imagining it at first, I would ache from the moment I got up to when I went to bed. I sometimes struggled to sleep as the pain was so bad. There isnt a bit of my body that doesnt hurt. I now find that my ankles and knees and other joints  are clicking. It is getting worse as each month goes by I am wondering how much worse it will get. When I tell my husband my whole body is in pain every hour of the day and every day of the week he looks at me as if I am going mad. I have lost the strength in my arms and legs that I had and cant lift heavy things and sometimes I go up the stairs and my knees collapse a bit.  I havent been to the doctors about it yet, I was hoping it would go away after a while but it seems to be getting worse not better. I am not sure after reading all the above that the Doctor will actually be able to help me. I am considering taking Vitamin D as one of the ladies seems to have had some success with this. I am getting my old push bike out to see if a bit of regular exercise (other than work) will help. Even though my body is telling me its too sore to ride a bike lol. I am not sure if exercise will help or make it worse actually what do you think?

Kind regards

Sharon

• Posted

Hi sharon-Jayne

Well I'd say you've found the best place to come for sensible, tried and tested suggestions!

I only found this site during the week of Xmas:  completely changed my outlook on everything, knowing I could sit and vent my spleen about all the cr*p I was dealing with!  It works!!

I completely relate to the 'hair in the footwell of the car'. My family are used to my 'hair'.  My son even warned his new g'friend to expect a rogue strand or two in ANY meal she ever eats with ussmile!

Also, the bit about your feeling like your 'knees collapse a bit'.  I often used to feel like one of those toys that were jointed, and threaded with elastic and when you pushed the bottom the thing collapsed! 

I say 'used to' feel, because since finding this site, I have got over my lifelong hatred of taking any medication, prescribed or otherwise, and have bought some Menopace Original to see if they helped with the aches and pains. 

Whether its all in my mind or what, I think they have definitely helped: I don't ache anywhere near as much now.  Only started taking them on 1st Jan. Taking for the B and D Vits, Calcium and Magnesium. 

This week too I bought myself some Magnesium to top up the dose that I get in Menopace. 

I read another thread on here about Magnesium being good for muscle aches and pains; insomnia; working well alongside calcium and also it can have a laxative effect too!  Christ!  All my dreams answered in one 'Miracle' tablet!!

Had a bit of a gut ache last night, but happy with the end result, if you get my drift! 

I've also been using some Bioidentical Progresterone Cream to see if that can help me.  To be honest, since mid-Jan I've felt so much better in myself.  For me the worse part of this cr*ppy journey is that I might lose my sense of humour.  I tend to find something funny to laugh at most days, and my ol' man of 32yrs still has been in stitches.  I think the day I stop 'proper' laughing will be a bad day.

Why not give the ol' B6\B12\Vit D\Magnesium a try?  You never know, you might start to feel a whole lot better for it. 

Odd that you mention your gallbadder:  there's a thread on here with a lady asking what the pain under her right ribcage might be.  A lot have suggested gallbladder issues.  Did you not have any problems prior to that scan? 

Loving the thought of the push bike. Always rode a bike, right up until I was about 18 (I had so much front in those days!!).  Remember going to Center Parcs in my early 40s for a short break and wanted to re-live my youth, so hired a bike.  God Almighty!  Nearly bloody killed me, riding for miles.  Felt like John Wayne when I finally returned, knackered to our lodge,hours later. The look on my ol' man's face was enough for me to put my cycling days behind me! 

I've not been very good myself exercise-wise since Xmas, but will be resuming my Power Walking exercises, thanks to YouTube (Lesley Sansone: 1\2\3+ mile power walk exercises:  fantastic, and that's coming from a real couch potato!!). Maybe give that a try as if I can do it, ANYONE can!!

Have a read around on her about Magnesium and B Vit supplements: there are some very knowlegeable women giving advice on here, and they might just be what you need.

S x

• Posted

Hi - I am so pleased you have tried all the vits above! I also take the same & feel so much better, I used to have bad muscle & joint pain & now I am 95% better, which is just amazing, as I really getting worried I was getting arthiritus or MS...  I just hope more people give it a trial!biggrin
    • Posted

How did you find the progesterone cream? I've been using it for about 10 days and have felt pretty yuk to be honest. But I've been told that it can make things worse before they get better. Just wondered how long it was before you felt improvement.? I can sympathise with the hair thing. So much comes out in my hairbrush every day I'm surprised I have any left! I've orders some kelp as recommended by Jay for the hair, I'll report back in a few months with any improvements. Also my hair is that frizzy at the moment I don't know what to do with it! A friend has told me this week that she has been having spirulina every day with her juice and it has made so much difference to her joint and muscle pain. Might be worth a go. It doesn't taste v nice but you can get it in tablet form from Holland and Barrett. Another friend said cherry juice was very good. Can't say I have personal experience but another couple of things that may be worth trying. Xx
    • Posted

Hi Mooma

Well I've justed finished my 'dose' so to speak:  been applying on days 14-28 incl.  TBH, I had tried at the very beginning of the New Year and I ended up having another period straight away (having only stopped 5 days beforemad) - maybe that was my bout of feeling 'pretty yuk/worse before better' etc.??

Well since I got the unwanted 2nd Period out of the way, I had started up with the Menopace and truly believe that I felt much better all-round:  mood and joint pain in particular.

It had been my intention to get to this point, see how I felt and if I was struggling, then I was to go to my GP to talk more about HRT.  But, and I've talked a lot with my husband about this as he lives with me 24/7 and knows I'm a nutty cow at the best of times(!). We both think that I'm not doing too bad all said and done. 

I don't feel at all ready to go begging for HRT just yet, so maybe, just maybe, the Prog. Cream, Menopace Original and now the addition of some extra Magnesium, might actually be working for me???!!!

I bloody well hope so, because the thought of feeling anywhere near like some of the other ladies on her report does nothing for me!

By nature, I'm a bit of a ranter - got an opinion about everyone/everything, according to my ol' man - so would really have to go into a major 'One' for me to look/act any different! I did laugh earlier this week. I was having a major text rant about one of my sisters to another of my sisters (can pick your friends........). After about 6 mega texts, my sister came back with "Do you think you should go get some HRT now?"smile. Had to explain that it was just a 'normal' rant rather than a specific Meno rant' - coming from her, it was a bit like the pot calling the kettle black, so I didn't take offence, tee hee!!

Mooma, lets hope just by introducing these Vits & Mins they'll keep my mood in check and the joints a lot more comfortable.  While I can still cross my fingers, I think I shouldlol.

(Interesting you mention cherry juice. I was in Holland & Barratt this week and a really old guy came in asking for Cherry supplements.  I will defo have a read up of them now!  For someone who can't stand taking meds at all, I've very quickly thrown caution to the wind:  I'm actually enjoying being relatively pain-free for the first time in ages!.)

Keep posting Mooma!

Sx

• Posted

Hi barbara

Think me and you together are the lucky ones!  Can't believe how much less pain I feel - Great ain't it?!!

Arthritis - yeah, probably coming my way too but hey, lets hope these Vits & Mins ward that off for a while too.  Give us a chance to get through Peri at least!!

Sx

• Posted

Hi Sharon-Jayne

acupuncture has helped me get relief from all body aches and pains and sudden fatigue.  I was taking strong painkillers all day every day, I am now only taking them occasionally.  I also take magnessium (chellated) with calcium, and Maca root ( as advised by many experienced fellow sufferers on here).  A rheumatologist prescribed me Hydroxychloroquine for fibromyalgia. Interestingly a book called screaming to be heard  by Dr Viett, identified 70% of fibromyalgia sufferers are women, between the ages of 45-55, so linking the hormone element. Very interesting book.

Good Luck

Viv

• Posted

Hi Ladies, Sharon, yes it's me - the biggest Magnesium fan! Magnesium spray and bath are my life saviours! My knees and jaw hurt so much that I can hardly bend my knees, and no smiling. But magnesium spray can be used as much as you like, along with anything else - it is totally harmless. It gives me instant relief, and I can sleep through the night. About the bike - I used to bike pretty much all my life. But since my pains started, after biking my body and knees were so sore for days, that I had to give up! I really hope I can ride again, one day..... I do hot yoga every once in a while and it helps with the pain. I do work around the house to be active, but even carrying a hoover (vacuum cleaner for the rest of the world) hurts so much that I had to buy a super-light version. I know I sound about 90, and I am only 44!

Hope this helps. Oh, and you do need to go to the doctor, and get everything checked out - be safe.

• Posted

You are such a fun and witty writer!  I think this forum might save my life -- at least it has saved my sense of humor.  I am laughing through the tears smile
    • Posted

Hi Mooma, good to know about spirella.  I have to google that and "Menopace" and "Holland and Barrett" - these are not brands I am familiar with over her the US.  I started progest cream about 4 years ago and was VERY happy as it stopped my night sweats (sweating through clothing and bedding to the point I had to change them, somtimes, twice per night) and helped me fall asleep but it's definately something to take at night.  If I used it in the a.m., I would be a dish rag.  The brand also is important from what I hear.  

Hope it starts making you feel better soon!

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398316-adding-links-to-posts

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

hahahahahhaaaa!!!  You crack me up!  RANT AWAY!!!  You speak for most (if not all) of us!!!  I love it!!!  I just looked up Menopace... looks like I can buy online but I'm already taking a lot of what is in it.  I contacted my Nauropath after reading replies on this thread and a few more articles and asked her about revisiting my doeses of topical estoril and progest and she agreed with symptoms it is time to adjust.  I'll keep you posted what happens next week.  Right now I take 1/8 TS of Emerita Progest cream and night with Kavinace for sleeping and Cortisol Manger for belly fat (and I take Ambien and Clonanzapam to sleep too -- insomnia has been a life long problem, not brought on by menopause) and 1000 EU of Vit E for mental health.  In the a.m., 5 drops of Phyto B 4x (which has 1 mg of Estriol and 20 mg of progesterone at that dose), Calcium, Magnesium and a low dose multi vitamin, and 60 mg arour thyroid.  Damn, that's a lot of stuff!  :-/  
    • Posted

Blimey Kim, I'd probably hear you before I saw you, rattling away with that lot! But if its works for you girl, then you go for it! No one said that this Peri/Meno ride was going to be easy, and I'm now of the opinion that the best advice on what will help me lies here, and not necessarily in my GP's surgery! I love this forum:-)

Remember buying something to deal with the corisol while n holiday in the States........think worked way back then, when I was 42 and about 14lb lighter!

Read good book by Iran Marbur about diet, stress hormone, 5HTP. really good read, if a little 'anal' - not much scope to lead a 'normal' life. Like the occasional binge-booze or drunken kebab moment. Think the pull of a McD now and then was too much for me......and a Sailor Jerry & Diet Coke!!

• Posted

Sorry Kim. Must stop posting from this tablet. Fat finger syndrome makes my posts look encrypted!

If my other message actually sent, the author's name is Ian Marber, The Diet Doctor!!!

I'll be buying me some cortisol pretty soon at this rate!

:-)

• Posted

Hi:

Your message sounds as if I wrote it myself.  I experience all of your symptoms.  The hair loss I am unable to control.  Like you said, it is everywhere.  I can't exercize anymore, I am too unstable and my knees feel like they will give out on me.  All of my problems started when I stopped taking the Premerin, 10 months ago.  I started taking it again along with the Progesterone creame with the wild yam in it about 5 weeks ago.  I feel better back on the hormones and all my friends tell me not to take it but they have no idea what I am dealing with.  I will see my doctor tomorrow and see what, if anything, he can come up with.  This problem has stopped my life

• Posted

Hi:

Just read your post and can identify with it.  I use Progesterone cream with the wild yam in it.  It has been 5 weeks and can feel some relief in pain.  I have been told that it can take up to 2 months for the cream to work.  I have not found an answer for the hair loss.  I am hoping the Progesterone will help with that.  I have also read about cherry juice, I know it is a powerful antioxident but maybe there is something more to than that. 

If you find a cure, even a partial cure for the hair problem please let me know.

kathy

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product names as we do not allow repeated posting of product names in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I have considered accupuncture, I used it for carpul tunnel years ago and it was the only thing that helped.  What do you tell the accupuncturist to work on?  Just tell them PAIN? all over the place.  What is Maca root?

I am beginning to think that all of this is fibromyalgia based.  I just woke up one morning 10 months ago and hurt all over, a very sudden change.

Glad a ran into your post.

Kathy

• Posted

Hi, I tell mine everything and highlight some of the worse spots (knees, elbows, shoulder, neck, low back).  Since I went to him (and started on Vit D), my joints don't hurt as much.  Still have muscle cramps and weakness.  Still hurts to exercise... but I'm trying.  Yes, for me it was very sudden as well!  Good luck!!  
    • Posted

Magnesium spray...is it a prescription or can i get it elsewhere
    • Posted

Hi, you can get it in Holland and Barrett.. It's around 12.99, use as often as you want..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.