Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

ive had exactly the same symptomps tiny bit of joint pain perimenopausal then woke up 8 weeks ago in agony. Hand joints swollen all my joints feet, knees, elbows, hands, wrist in excruciating pain. Slight inflammation only thing showing up on blood tests. Had dry eyes and funny tastebin my mouth. Very scarey

• Posted

Helen:

It is scary.  I also woke up one morning with joints hurting, expeceally the knees.  How can something hit all of a sudden?  I try to explain to people, even the doctor and have no words to describe it all.  I hurt clear through, even what I call "the meat on the bones", including the bottom of my feet.  I gave up trying to explain to anyone who has not experienced this stuff.  Hope you feel better.  Happy Easter to everyone.

kathy 

• Posted

Hi Kathy

I know the pain you are talking about in the knee - i have had it for almost 4years now and have been to so many drs. All of them tell me they cant find anything wrong so i have given up and just try to live with the pain. try to take care-Kathy

• Posted

hi friends, I had this pain (among other pain) since 2013. Had been blaming it on peri-menopause.  It turned out to be rheumatoid arthriti in my case (and I am still peri... Last period was in Jan and my female hormones were very low/post meno levels).

Thankfully, even though I blamed horrid menopause for all my symptoms, my doc du deeper.  

There are three blood tests you should have to check for this and other inflammatory diseases:  Sedimentation Rate, C-reactive Protein and Anti-cyclic Citrullinated Peptide (anti-CCP) Antibodies.  They can be done when you have a regular blood tests. No special conditions have to be met or done.

I pray this isn't the caus of your pain but it was the cause of my knee (and other) pain and it is better to know and be treated than suffer joint damage.  If you have questions, send me a message and best of luck!!!

Kim

• Posted

I also have been told that my kne pain is from arthritis, but it all happened at the same time.  How did your doctor treat it?  I think this doctor wants to head in the direction of knee replacement.

kathy

• Posted

Hey Kathy, I'm sorry to hear that!  Well, Rheumatoid "arthritis" is actually not a form of arthritis.  It can CAUSE arthritis, which I have in many joints.  And, like yours, once there is erosion, it can't be fixed except with joint replacement.  Rheumatoid "Disease" (which is what the RA Foundation is trying to get it named) is an autoimmune disorder of the blood that affects all organs, tissue, skin, joints - basically, anything that can become inflamed does.  Arthritis is the most visible sign but not the most dangerous.  The narrowing of blood vessles to the heart, lungs and brain are what is most disconcerting.  Of course, there's good old fashioned weight loss.  Taking weight off joints helps stop the damage.  I weigh 200 pounds.  That's too much on my knees so have been on a strict diet for 4 weeks and lost 17 pounds.  Also, physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the joints might help.  When all is said and done, get a second opinion too.  I hope you heal well and fast!  Kim
  • Posted

I too suffer with joint pain it took a year to get down to the problem.  my new doctor took specific blood test targeting vitimin D and sure enough it was low.  my doctor gave order me a prescription for vitamin D in a large dose it worked no more joint pain
    • Posted

Hi there. Do you  take vitamin D tablets or do you use the drops? What sort of dose do you need for it to be effctive?

Thank yoU!

• Posted

ok here it is THE DOCTOR PROVIDE IT ...VIT D2 1.25MG 50,000 UN MFG:BARR TAKE 1 CAPSULE 50000 UNITS ORAL ROUTE EVERY WEEK FOR VITAMIN D FOR ONE MONTH.

AFTER THIS SHE TOLD ME TO BUY OVER THE COUNTER VITAMIN AT 2000 CAPSULE OR TABLET ARE OK

HOPE THIS INFO IS HELPFUL.

• Posted

Dear Kim

just wanted to share my experience with you as its so similar to yours. I'm 51 and began my journey to the doctor around 5 years ago. Initially for joint pain in hands and wrist, then joint pain in neck, elbows and fingers. Doc tested me for rhuematoid which came back negative, she advised that I be kind my joints, whatever that meant. Things progressively got  worse and I got a frozen shoulder. Original doc had retired and I told the new one that my pain is worse  and has spread, even when inactive. of course they couldn't focus on anything but the frozen shoulder and anyway the pain killers really helped. About 6 months after shoulder episode I went back again to ask for physio really. Again the new doc done bloods and revealed I was anemic. All focus went on that! After about 3 months I went back to check on anemia status and was told that I had rhuematoid arthritis by another doc. She basically gave me counselling on the spot, advising how my life may change but how unpredictable RA is etc etc, oh and I was still anemic, no mention of peri, naturally I was quite upset. That diagnosis was a year ago and around 8 month ago I decided to go back and ask for more support with my RA. I got another doc. More blood tests revealed I don't have RA and infact this new doc could not understand why I'd been told it. I completely fed up with doctors, even female ones. Naturally I want as much info as possible but have no faith in doctor now.  I have lots of pain with and without activity and  had several blood tests and X-rays done. Im cured of the RA which I never had but I do have osteoarthritis in hands and finger, quite frankly I didn't need an X-ray to tell me that.  I'm also peri-menopausal.

last time I was at docs I mentioned I'm sweating dreadfully could that cause joint pain all she advised was that I might like to think about HRT, no other information and she asked me to read up on it.

Thats how I found this site and thank goodness. I think I could educate the docs now.

so here I am, clearly menopausal, pain on the soles of my feet for goodness sake!

i started all the vitamins, minerals and now taking maca root, which I feel is helping, it's only been 2 weeks though.

If you do have RA Kim doctor should be referring you to a rheumatologist who can't cure but can treat it. My sister in law had it very badly 3 years ago, she couldn't walk, she is now on a drug and pain free, but I believe you can only get it from a consultant.

I wish you and all the wonderful ladies on here all the very best, we can get through it together!

• Posted

Hi Lesley 

i read your blog with great interest 

in December I had a bad back that resolved after physio however  n early February I became immobile very suddenly  with leg pains n swelling in my left knee so much so the pain so intense I atttended my local A&E who looked at X-rays I had earlier in the day n said I had arthritis within hours I could not stand for long periods of time I could hardly walk & pain was intense 

I havecbecome anxious tearful not sleeping weight lossvofv2st 8lb I have had MRI on both knees that say I gave degenerative arthritis 

in 1991 I had hysterectomy I was 33 I have been left with 1 ovary so not to have an early menopause after reading your post and being made aware of it by my sister iam making an appointment to see my gp to discuss if I have the same as yourself 

I have lost all my self esteem I'm weepy mood swings no sleep no appetite n have more or less been told put up n shut up but this pain is excruciating and I can't cope any longer thank you for sharing your symptoms n making others aware that the probs I have could be down to my menopause x 

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I am older than you - 56.  Have always been healthy and active.  About a year ago, I started feeling severe stiffness in my hips.  It stupidly didn't occur to me that it could be a symptom of Menopause.  However, after doing Yoga, stretching classes, swimming, etc to get myself mobile, I realised that this could be related to this scary metomorphisis we are all going through.  I detest doctors and am convinced that by taking conventional medicine and hormones, we are exchanging one set of problems for another.  I am terrified of xrays and even more scared of HRT, although my mother has been taking it all her life and is now  approaching her 79th birthday.  Still, I am convinced that we can get through all of this by eating a healthy diet, keeping active and most importantly, not worrying too much but have a good attitude to life.  It is unlikely we are going to get old without ailments.  I try to do as many 'girly' exercise classes as I can and even when I walk the dog with my music waiting for the dog to do his business, I do some stretches and wiggles.  At least we are all going through this together.  My advice is lay off the oestrogen creams.  Arnica cream is good for joint pain and so is lots of oily fish, such as salmon, tuna and sardines.  Mackerel is brilliant!  Camomile tea, lemon water and fresh mint are delicious substitutes to coffee and will help cleanse your body of toxins.  Also, there is a great website I found for sugarless chocolate if you have any chocolate cravings.  Google "balance chocolate' and it should come up.  I carry some with me in the car and it really does the trick to give you a treat without doing any harm to your body.  

Try walking whenever possible as exercise regulates the hormones.  

I send you my best wishes and rest assured that we are ALL going through this together.  Best Maxine

• Posted

Hello Ladies, I promised to update you on my situation. After my messy diagnosis, I got fed up, and went to a private hospital - my GP referred me. I had full investigations on my Gunea - I will not bore you with everything I had to go through, laproscopy and hysterioscopy (or some such) amongst them. To cut the long story short, I had a mirena coil fitted, 2 April. Magic does exist - I have been joint pain free since. I am sure this will last - because I have not felt this pain free - really pain free - for a very long time. I used to have some pain free days before, just after having my period. But still I had flu-like sympthoms, and knee and spine pain - this is all gone now. Before, it was painful to sit - as I work in the office, I had to stand up and move around from time to time as my bum hurt. I feel like the time reversed to when I was absolutely normal. I can open tins and cans - I had to ask my 11 year old daughter to open stuff for me before, because it was so painful!!!! The brochure for the mirena coil explained that for those in menopause it works in conjunction with hrt. I will keep you ladies posted how I feel. At the moment, I am in heaven!!!! Kat
    • Posted

Hi KatN22

Great news!  Its always great to hear something good on this forum, so thanks for the update.

Just refreshed myself with your previous postings here. I keep telling our U.S. 'sistas' that for us its not that easy to get the right help......unless you put your hand in your pocket, as you've done. I'd say - and I know you'll agree - that was probably the best money you've spent in a long whilesmile??!

Hope the back (and bum!) are feeling better.  Just seems typical of our GPs not to even suggest a Mirena might help you, let alone sending you for any type of scan!

I've been reading so much negative Press about the Mirena (Daily Mail online, in particular). Maybe its better for us, emm 'women of age', rather than the younger girls? But its so good to hear that for us Perimeno's it might actually be a bit of a saviour.

I personally am still very much 'up in the air' about everything: I really don't know what's best for me at the moneutral.

Shall I take myself off to GP, attempt to talk about options available to me?  Or do I just plod along (in all honesty, although I've come down from my 'high' I was experiencing between Jan-Mar), and continue until I don't know what else to do.  Or do I just go ask for HRT??  Decisions, Decisions!!

Might help if I wasn't as bloody regular as clockwork still, at 54frown!! 

Do you remember when we were young, ever thinking "I can't wait for my periods to finish - can't come too soon for me!!"???  Oh, the ignorance of youth ha, ha!!

Kat, enjoy your pain-free time:  I think you deserve to have a break from all this rubbish.  And maybe sharing your experience will help someone else get the same help and relief, who knows?

Sx

PS - See, the sun came out this week for you too, to tell you there's a life to be living out there, beyond Perismile

• Posted

Kat, that is excellent news. So pleased you are able to get on with your life now. Can I ask you if it solved your jaw pain also? I am really suffering with jaw pain and neck pain and considering HRT. I'd be really interested to hear if it has helped your jaw. Xx
    • Posted

Yes it did - all pain is gone, totally. 8 days now (who's counting...). BUT I have forgotten to tell you all, that I am NOT MENOPAUSAL as it turned out, I have been diagnosed with very slight 'adenomyosis' if you google it you will see the description and symptoms many of which you will recognise. Also, I read the leaflet for the Mirena coil and it said for those in menopause, it should be used in conjunction with HRT as Mirena coil protects the uterus etc. You can find information about Mirena on the internet - it offsets the bad effects of HRT basically. I hope this is useful for everyone. I hope all of you  ladies feel better soon.
    • Posted

Hey, so good to hear - yes I hope my experience will help someone who stumbles on this site, as all of us, when we were in despair! Tell your 'sistas' there is a light at the end of the tonnel.

About the coil etc - we are all so different, and different things work for different people. You are so right about money well spent - worth every penny!!!!!!!

I read the leaflet for mirena, and it says it works in conjunction with HRT for those in menopause, and protects from bad effects of HRT. So maybe as you say, it is better for us, older folk!

You see, I have not had any bad periods ever, so I was fine - always active, even, swimming, etc. Once I started having these problems after turning 40, it got gradually worse and worse.

So much so, that last April, a year ago almost, I was taken to the hospital several times. I struggled, as you all well know from your experience, with basic things- like cooking and showering!!!!

Now going to work is real happinness! I can actually sit on my bum! And my back is fine - I was even referred to the spine doctor, but he said that when the coil is fitted, it will sort the back, and he was right!!!

What clever doctors they are - I was so lucky

I hope the sun will shine soon to all of you ladies, not just for me confused

Thanks for being out there, and for your support.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.