Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Omg Lesly, your symptoms are so simular to my own, I'm a one man band too, 😕 if possible please share any info gained from your GP and or possible solutions to the said problem of joint pains, thankyou in advance.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, your symptoms are almost the same as my own, I'm a one man band too 😩, from what I understand from this forum vitamin D seems to be the cure for all my pain, I dragged myself out if bed where I've been for the last 3 days in pain and now I'm outside soaking up the sun, after all I'm in Jamaica I get it naturally here no pills, I'll see how it goes😅
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, thanks for your post i have just seen it. I am looking at Dr Google for an explanation of my joint pain that started around a year ago. My Dr told me i was perimenopausal when i was 51 and i am now 52 so i wonder how you went on with the results. My pain in the right hip and back was so bad that i was sent for an xray, two days ago i have not got my results yet. The pain is now gone to my left knee and its agony. I was going to a yoga holiday and now i will not be able to participate. I think i could have bone cancer all over my body or rheumatoid arthrities as my sister has got that. it would be really good to hear how you are getting on. Many thanks
    • Posted

Hi

I have your symptoms in my knees very painful n agony to walk I sympathise with you , I honestly thought I had something seriously wrong my MRI scan shows degenerative arthritis he pain is horrendous n excruciating at times I've tried everything my sister pontes this site out to me n 1 post I may as well of written it myself she had everything I had my sister is on HRT n found it helped with her aches n pains had to come off for short spell n they all returned she then went no on it & again all subsided she ointed out I cud be menopausal but I was unsure as I'd had 1 ovary after my hysterectomy in1990 however after seeing my gp my FSH (stimulating hormone) was weh over than it should be so I've been put on low dose of HRT started it yesterday so I'm hoping n praying it helps all round not only have I had joint pain but very low in mood very emotional tired and snappy & no pacience to do anything or go anywhere sad

• Posted

Hi all, thanks for sharing all this as it could be a life saver for some people like me.

I am 43 and in peri-menopause. I was able to deal with all symptoms without going crazy but right now I am on the edge. I have this cramping or tingling in my legs (I don't even know how to call it). My legs go numb, I feel them very weak and shaky. I get tired when I climb the stairs. I get the pins&needles too. I am not sure if my legs actually hurt but all those sensations are really driving me crazy and affect my life a lot, as I am getting more and more convinced there is something majorly wrong with me.

Anyone else feeling all this stuff in their legs? Could it be possibly hormones related?

Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Sue, I'm 44 and I had problems with legs you describe - along with many other problems, aches and pains, bleeding heavily etc! I had myself fully checked up, it turned out I am not menopausal yet but that I do have hormonal problems. I had mirena coil fitted, and oh miracle - all the problems are gone! I felt 90 and now I am 44 again! So I would suggest, before self-diagnosing, do push for all the tests done - to establsih EXACTLY what's wrong with you - as people  are so different. But this site is good - it gave me a bit of a hope that I do not have anything sinister. Good luck and hope you feel better soon. Kat
    • Posted

Thank you, Kat. What tests did you do for your legs? How did you find out you had hormonal problems? Are those kits on amazon reliable? My doctor says there is no point to check hormones as the results will vary a lot and won't lead to any conclusion.

I too have so many other other problems, but I just manage to live with them without panicking. I have regular periods and not a single hot flush, however I have all the other symptoms that people have described on the manopausal forums. You name it I have it.

But now ... those weak jelly legs are so scaring ...

Also I started feeling some tension in my eyes ... Oh...we'll see. It's been 1 week so I can't go to the doctor yet, maybe in 2-3 weeks I'll call for appt.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

• Posted

I used Magnesium oil spray, all over my body, every day, and magnesium salt bath every now and again. If you are UK based you can get it from Holland and Barrett so no need for prescriptions etc. I had pain in my hips, back/spine, jaw, knees, wrists (found it hard to chop/type) pins and needles in my hands and legs, really weak, everyday life was a huge challenge. I had fatique which was undescribable. I was bleeding heavily, during periods and between periods. I could hardly move around days before my periods - it was very scary. I had flu-like symthoms, all the time, it's like having a bad flu, especilly in the morning. Blood tests for hormones, as you say, show different things at different points in your cycle. I had several tests done. You need to do it between 2-5 day of your period. I was refrerred to Gyneacologist who could interpret those tests, and it was very clear to him what was happening to me - I guess I was lucky to meet him - did MRI scan, and diagnosed with adenomyosis - you can read about the sympthoms online. Apparrently it is very common. It took me 1 year to get sorted, it was very stressful and very tiring given I work full time and have 2 kids, but it was worth it - as in my case I would not have gotten better without the mirena coil and the end result would probably be hysterectomy. Now I am back to normal, nothing hurts - at all - every day I wake up happy and full of energy. That's why I keep saying to all the ladies here - you need to do all the health checks, for everything - to find out what's wrong and get better. It may be just peri - but even then you need to know exactly what it is, to be able to get help!!! I hope this helps, I am happy to answer all the questions - I can remember myself a year ago in limbo, trying to figure out what is going on. Good luck and keep us posted. Kat
    • Posted

Hi Sue,

I'm 52 and peri menopausal and I have the weak legs thing too. I find it the most distressing of symptoms, just walking up and down stairs can be an effort. I had this non stop for more than six months when my body was just going crazy, then it went only to come back again from time to time. As I'm nearing the menopause it seems to be less frequent as if it's the fuctuations in hormones that seem to provoke it. I just wanted to say I know how you feel. 

• Posted

Thanks, Kat. I checked the adenomyosis but couldn't find how it was related to pins&needles in the legs. You were really lucky with your doctor. I am located in Canada and here you can't have yourself checked up just because you want it. Your GP has to give you a referal if they think something is wrong with you.

As we all know doctors quite often ignore our complaints, saying that all is in our minds...

How long does it take for the vitamins to kick in? I started Ca+D3, Mg and B12. That was 1 week ago, still no improvement.

It is wonderful that you are feeling so well now.

• Posted

Hi Kerry, and thanks for sharing. Did you also experience any nubness and/or tingling sensations in your legs?
  • Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one with the joint pain, etc. I'm 59 and last year got a micro tear in my achilles tendon. Diagnosed with tendonitis. Ever since then, it's been down hill pretty much. The tear is better after wearing the boot but now having horrid pain in hips and knees. My knees are bad anyway with my left one having pins in it due to ACL repair over 10 years ago, the right knee needs to be scoped but I put it off because to tell you the truth, I'm sick of doctors. lol. But the hip pain is excruitating and it's gotten to the point I'm seeing a new doctor next week. I often wondered if this could be post menopausal crap, which I certainly will bring to his attention. I hope he's up on women's health. My GP is awesome and I make it a point to have women doctors. I went through the "hot flashes" to which I call them "power surges" and get them occasionally when under stress or feeling anxious. Or after a few sips of wine. heh. Other than that, I do not miss Aunt Flo at all. I was offered HRT back in the beginning but refused thinking it would just prolonge the inevitable and can accept the fact that I've reached middle age. My last period was April Fools Day about 3 years ago. ha ha mother nature...but the joint pain is making me batty. Pain killers take the edge off for maybe an hour, I need to function at work,but I'm really sick of being on crutches. In the beginning of the perimenopausal stage, I had everything from palpitations, ringing in ears, and other symptoms that caused me going from doctor to doctor. I was even misdiagnosed as having Meneires disease. I have asked all these doctors that if it's in my head, I want to know. They said it wasn't because of all the symptoms. Guess what? Alot of it was. This is what depression does to you when you're in denial. Your body attacks you because then you'll listen because you feel like crap. What was thought of heart problems with the racing, shortness of breath, sweating, turned out to be anxiety and panic attacks. Once I got diagnosed correctly, the other stuff got better after taking setraline. I do have high BP so take meds for that as well. The pain in the joints, which are getting worse, are probably due to lack of hormones. I even had some cramping, like period cramps, to which I'm thinking my ovaries are just drying up into little peas. In any event, it will be interesting what the orthopaedic doctor says....Stay strong Ladies!
    • Posted

Ooooh stephinator45

I am with yu in the knee n hip pain my god it's been excruitiating at times 5mnths I've had this now n I'm getting an arthoroscopy next week as it's horrendous however I've started on HRT 3weeks ago a Low dose & my pain is easing slightly so not sure if it's that what is helping or the arthritis my scan shown is calming down as that's what my MRI Scan shown but I was in agony n unable to walk or stand for short periods of time

I sympathise with you with the pain like you painkillers helped but not for long sad

Hope you get sorted

Take care xxx

• Posted

Oh dear your certainly going through it! Please let us know how you get on at the Docs! Have you tried any herbal stuff? surprised

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.