Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am 47, live in the U.S and experience the same thing...morning stiffness is awful especially in my fingers. Lately, the joint pain has travelled to other places such as my elbow and knee. There is a wonderful product that has helped me immensely. It is called Baxyl (hyaluronic acid). This stuff really works. A bit pricey but it has been a game changer for me. The longer you are on it, the less you need. It is also safe for vegetarians/vegans. 
  • Posted

Hey ladies,

I posted awhile back and just wanted to provide an update on what I have learned in the last few months.  Seems like the most common issue alot of us face is the joint pain, the infllammation and nerve tingling - all of which I experienced to the point where it was debiltating.  Perhaps taking a look at your muscles first if you have travelling pain may be the solution. If everything hurts -your fingers, toes, nerves, back, arms (frozen shoulder) but it moves around, why are we looking at the joints first?  What's consistent there? Muscles. I wonder why the doctors don't look there and just always focus on the joints?  Puzzling.  Anway, I have found that magnesium supplements and sprays/lotions help to start loosening the muscles but the real thing that helped me was to simply stretch.  I shouldn't say simply because when you are that tight and in pain, the last thing you want to do is stretch. It seemed like I was causing further damage to my joints when I tried to move so I didn't.  Just the opposite of what I needed!  So I finally began to stretch,  and I mean all the time, not just an hour in a class but while I brush my teeth, in the shower, watching tv or sitting at my desk at work (sitting on a ball ocassionally helps).   When I wake up, I rotate my feet, I do modified calf raises in the bed and when I stand up, I don't hobble across the floor for the first few minutes while trying to get my body to cooperate. I don't have any tingling, I can lift my arm over my head. I can touch my toes.  Crazy when that's the goal.  I can get up off the floor again without trying to figure out how I am going to get it done. So while you are waiting to see that rheumatogist or GP - stretch.  I am understanding from this forum that in the US - where I'm located - it's alot easier to get results, tests and doctor appointments (that stinks) but if you don't have access to all this info so you can rule things out rather quickly, please think about how your muscles are feeling, Stretch those muscles. I didn't attend medical school but it stands to reason that if your muscles are tight, your bones are going to rub together and your joints are going to ache.  Nerves are going to respond negatively. When the muscles loosen, the joints are not being irritated. Good luck and I hope this helps!

• Posted

Thanks Terri, I think you are right in many cases. I'm sure that's what's happened to me. My neck shoulder and jaw really hurt and refer pain all up the side of my head, I seem to have constant headaches. I'm sure it's all tight muscles. The natural reaction seems to be to withdraw into myself and try not to move when it hurts but that's probably doing more harm than good. Thanks for sharing xx
  • Posted

Reading the last few post I will tell you I gave up and caved in.  I will do anything to feel better.  I use the yam based progesterone, take the DHEA along with the D3, magnisium and others.  My joints hurt so bad I was isolateing meself.  I think I begged, can't remember, and the doctor sent me to an orthopedic surgeon.  He gave me a shot of steroids in each knee.  It must travel through the body because Nothing hurts.  I do not care anymore if its good for me or not, I am functional, active and enjoying my grandkids.  The steroids can only be administered every 4  to 6 mths.  If I had arthritis in every joint (how can that be?) then I am willing to get treatment.  Just a thought.  
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, 

Similar situation almost exactly, except not as severe.   

I found a supplement online by a company called Uni-Key.   The supplement is called Ultra h-3 and costs about 35.00 for a months supply. 

Made for exactly these joint pain symptoms.  Been around since the 1960's and used by celebs and world leaders.   Formulated by a doctor in Romania and I have read some unbelievably great reviews of people who found relief.  

It is a natural supplement of nutrients.   It is also good for fatigue and mental clarity. 

I will be ordering very soon as I am beginning to experience pain in my hips. 

And feel like I am aging overnight.   Hoping to get good results myself. 

Hope we this offers help to you.    Good luck! 

I

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I read your post when searching for my own answers to the awful joint and muscle ache I experiencing.  I am 48 and have been told that I am in the Perimenopause after experiencing extreme tiredness, heavier periods (which are occuring further apart) and feeling stressed and anxious.  It feels like every week some new health issue appears from nowhere.

Very similarly to you I started with an unknown pain in my left arm around the elbow.  It hurt when I drove but I just could not  fit this pain into my understanding of perimenopausal symptoms.  My weight has absolutely shot up and the aching and tiredness prevent me from exercising.  The pains have spread to hips, shoulders, breasts and a daily underarm ache.  I have a strange tenderness in patches on my upper abdomen and sometimes my temples are so tender it feels like I smacked my head on a cupboard. Random symptoms to say the least.

I have now got to make the decision whether to take HRT.  I had the Mirena coil fitted last week but apart from not crying for a whole week it hasnt yet made any difference.  Recent blood tests have shown some raised inflammation markers but they are very non specific as to where that inflammation is.

How are you now Lesley? How have you managed your pain a year on.

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I take vitamin D310ug – B6 150mg in the mornings. In the evening I take Osteocare original by Vitabiotics it has (Calcium-Magnesium-D3 & Zinc) the magnesium is for muscle pain & D3 is for bone pain. I have researched this as I had pain all over especially in my arms & neck & couldn’t bare the pain any longer it was driving me insane! I am so happy this has worked for me, it took a good couple of months to kick in but I feel like my old self again! I still get a little pain now & again but nothing like it used to be. Doctors don’t seem to know enough about the change but as long as you get all your blood test done as I'm sure you know how important it is! Keep in touch on how your doing! X

• Posted

Hi Lesley

I'm just reading your post now about menopause and clicking aching joints. Did you get your problems resolved

I'm 49, had hysterectomy at 40. Am on very low dose transdermal estradiol patch for last few year. Am crippled lately with joint aches, clicking, extreme fatigue. I feel like I've aged overnight!! My 76 year old mother has more energy than me. Am awaiting results of numerous blood tests my GP did this week. My experience has been that menopause is not taken seriously enough.

• Posted

hi lesley feels like we are related i have had almost identical symptoms the shoulders are killing me it goes in my back elbows wrist my lord the old saying mama told me it would be days like this is true the pain in the morning in my shoulders wrist elbows have gotten worse so don't feel alone on this it's crazy what we as women have to go through my breast get sore pain in the both of them please feel free to text me on facebook we can share more stories monique lewis is my name there hope to hear from you as we go through this journey your not alone
  • Posted

lesley i can't remember if i replied but i have been experiencing the pain in my shoulders and elbow sometimes it hurt to move my arms up above my head when that goes away i feel the aches in the area of my shoulders ponly when i move them if i lay still or not move them around im fine but if i reach out or over the aches begin this menopause grrrrrr i think men should have to go through what we go through then they would know how we feel all the anxiety flushes aches and pains 
  • Posted

Hello Lesley, You are not alone!  I turned 49 this past August.  Always had some back problems, and had left knee surgery three years ago.  Torn Meniscus from doing Zumba,  But, in the past week or so, I am in the middle of my cycle..I hurt all over..my hands, my wrists, knees, back, feet.  If I sit for a long time and then get up, I am stiff and in pain.  Everyone is saying Perimenopause uncluding my own sister..but I am still nervous.  Is this really hormone related?

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I know your post was quite some time ago but I've only just come across this forum & already I feel relieved just reading through, to find that I am not alone! I am so frustrated as I still have not had a diagnosis. I've had constant pains to varying degrees for over 6 months now, specifically in my wrists & hands & it was assumed they were due to arthritis. For a long time I have practiced a lot of yoga & I found I couldn't bear weight or pressure through my hands when working out through my upper body & that remains the case. I also have pain in the joints of both big toes. I was referred to the Hand Therapist, but the ultrasound treatment had no effect & when eventually I had X-rays there was no OA evident at all. In the meantime they have just continued to get worse: fat fingers overnight & in the morning, a range of pains across my hands & wrists, some redness of the most sore joints eg my thumb, both sides of my hands, across the underside of my wrist. I went back to my GP & now I am being tested for rheumatoid arthritis which I was convinced was the problem. I have to speak with the doctor yet but today I found out that the tests are all normal. I just feel that I am getting nowhere but the pains in my hands & the disabling impact on my life just continues! I had heard somewhere about the menopause & joint pain & tonight have come across this forum, thank you! I wish I understood what is going on with me but I feel a bit closer to finding out having read this page! Hope you ladies are all feeling better! Jo
  • Posted

Dear Lesley 998, I feel your pain, everything you said I have, and have had for three years, I wonted to tell you so you don't feel alone or crazy, I am now being treated for Ra, but befor this I was told all kind of things, they even made me feel nuts. You are not alone don't give up , keep going back get second third appions, it's your life your fighting for. I always wondered why is it all started around menapause , when we are low in estregon ?also when my pain in joints started I had no swelling, two years later swelling, now they say it's Ra, and it's just like you said it moves from one joint to the next, I'm on steriods now it controls the pain, and trying new Ra drugs, sometimes I think I just need a good dose of estregon. Lol take care. Roxie.
    • Posted

Roxie.. Good luck with your treatment. All my blood tests have definitely come back normal so I have been told I don't have RA so I am no further forward. I wonder if your tests were similar when your joints first started giving you pain? I spoke with one of my GPs the other day & suggested that this might be related to the menopause & she said the evidence was v weak & treatment with HRT was also not v successful.. They are discussing my situation this week somI will be speaking again with them but I feel that something is being missed & wonder if this is what you mean when you said you were told all sorts of things? The impact of the menopause doesn't seem to be fully recognised, Jo
  • Posted

Ladies I've posted before and it's so sad to see everyone going through the same thing.   Please look to your muscles when you are having travelling joint pain.  It's not necessarily the joints.  if your pain moves, it could very well be your muscles causing the problem.  Muscles are everywhere!! Look at  muscle relaxation techniques, stretching and possible magnesium citrate options.  Research thins of that nature and not necessarily RA.  Yes, it appears to all start with estrogen loss but after concentrating on my muscles, all the pains make sense and are manageable.  Not sure if you can find my other posts but I feel alot better after concentrating on my muscles and not my bones or joints.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.