Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, I am also 50 and although I haven't visited my doctor yet I have self diagnosed myself as menopausal.  My periods have been fairly regular however the heaviness does fluctuate and just recently they've become irregular.  I suffer with insomnia too.  I have been vitamin D deficient for almost two years.  I often suffer with back pain and trapped nerves which has been more troublesome over the last two years.  This last 2-3 weeks has been hell though.... Besides my back pain I have developed very painful joints.  My forefinger and thumb on my left hand seems to be swollen and very painful. Then the pain started in my left elbow and was so severe I can't bare to even touch it, and when driving putting in fifth gear is excruciating!! My left knee has also started to hurt today and has made some audible clicking noises.  Like you I was starting to get really worried but thought I would Google my systems and see if it could be my hormones.   I am very thankful and relieved to read your post and subsequent posts,following it, from other ladies who are also experiencing similar symptoms.  I hope you feel better soon, thank you for posting and sharing x

• Posted

I am 49. I had a partial hysterectomy at 40.

I recently went to ER because of shoulder and chest pain I was given Naproxen for inflammation.

I have been having joint pain and my bones pop constantly, I went to my Dr. Because my shoulder still hurts and I mentioned my bones popping and my joint pain and he just told me to exercise.

My feet and wrist hurt like no other I am taking

Glucosamine , turmeric , citracal +D, vit. K,

and magnesium. I don't know if I should go back to Dr. And ask him to do blood work to see if it's not arthritis.

I now feel pain in my neck and my head hurts a lot

I don't know what else to do ...

Should I wait and see if I feel better with the vitamins or should I look further into this?

• Posted

I say this to Lesley and all the woman on this post.  Estogen patch.  Get the estrogen patch and you will feel normal again.  I go to a doctor in NYC that specialize in womans health.  You must invest in doing so.  It will be life changing.  Why all woman don't get informed of this is so sad to me. Don't go to some some ordinary OBGYN.  Do your online research first. 

• Posted

Awesome tht the Patch (estrogen) is wrking for anyone taking it & I pray tht neither of you suffer repercussions-

But, I don't think any of us want to suffer through this change needlessly or would volunteer to be in misery if a solution was tht easy. Many, myself included would rather seek healthier, NATURAL ways to manage our symptoms-

Health conditions prevent others from being able to use HRT

HRT comes with A WHOLE LOT of risk- So does Soy, ie..

Breast Cancer, Heart Disease, Strokes, Blood Clots! Yes, I've done the research..

If tht is your option.. kudos to you, but pls don't down others who have opted not to take THAT risk-

The best of health to you all! 💕

• Posted

Hi!

I can't do any Estrogen (HRT) at all because I'm BRCA2+. Thnx for writing your post!

Do u know of any natural supplements that would help me get through night hot flashes, night sweats and cold chills, headaches, insomnia, joint pain?

Thnx!

-Shelly

• Posted

Shelly,

The ladies have shared a host of different things and I have found some of them helpful! I'm not sure what symptoms you are dealing with now? Nausea, Sore Joints, Anxiety, Chills, Migraines, Lump in throat, Extreme Fatigue , Low Spirits were the ones I've come to manage-

First came the many trips to ER and Dr"s for test.. MRI, Blood, Culture, etc. My NAUSEA was so debilitating (they provided no cause jus' a prescription) Thankfully I found this forum along with so much comfort/relief in realizing I ddnt have some dreadful disease-

Raw ginger/ Chamomile Tea - For Nausea; Royal Jelly/ Ginseng tables - For Anxiety and Fatigue and Low Spirits and Migraines; Tart Cherry Juice - For Achy Sore Joints (shoulders, neck, back, fingers) For exercise I walk a mile & half every other day-

I pray tht something here provides relief like it has done for me and will be glad to answer any qstns or give more detail if anything was not clear-

Stay well my friend for we are all in this together- 💕

• Posted

I thought I would write an update. All my symptoms: Insomnia, hot flushes/flashes, chills, anxiety, headaches and joint pain started on 11/15/16. I went to ER on 12/10/16 cuz I wanted to run blood test to see if it's my thyroid or blood sugar, since those mimic Menopause. Well.....ladies......it's definitely MENOPAUSE. I started ProEstro pills (natural supplement on Amazon) on 11/30/16 and Evening Primrose (from Target). It's helped with all symptoms, except insomnia (which is the most important). I decided to take .05 mg of Ativan at night to go to sleep. It does help but I'm hoping to find another solution for nighttime. I don't like Melatonin or St. John'S Wort and I can't take HRT cuz I'm BRCA2+. Any suggestions from anyone???- Shelly

• Posted

Awesome!.. Good for you that you have been able to manage your symptoms. 😊? Try adding Royal Jelly & Ginseng (found on Amazon as well) for better, more restful sleep and overall well being while dealing with menopause.

Have you included any type of cardio exercise at all??

• Posted

Thanks so much for the Amazon tips! I just got a stationary bike from my sister. I list 5 lbs but need to lose 30 more. With hot flashes, I was scared to get on it to encourage more hot flashes but I guess what you're saying is I need to do daily cardio?

-Shelly

• Posted

FthB,

Should I get American Ginseng? I do have treated high blood pressure.

-Shelly

• Posted

Shelly, I think any type of exercise that gets you moving is GREAT and good for the mental and helps to relieve stress!👍 Hop on tht bike and peddle yourself to better health 😉 I have been using Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) 500mg I take it every OTHER day I think I found it at a Walgreens & the RoyalJelly I first started with online from CVS, but just changed the brand to one from Amazon-

I will try to send an image to your private mssge if its allowed 👀

• Posted

Wht meds are you takn for BP?.. I was taken Diovan, but I changed my diet gave up sodas, all salt, added fruit, veggies was able to lower my BP and stop meds now for almost 7months but I still monitor it regularly. 😒 You can check w/your Dr. to make sure you can take supplements w/your BP meds.

• Posted

I'm on Amlodipine 5mg/day and HCZT (a diuretic). I'm 52 y.o. 5'7" should weigh 150 but I'm 196. I will eventually see if I can go off BP meds after some weight loss. I did try 3 weeks ago and my bp climbed to 203/100. I do take BP Meds in morning and all supplements around 1pm--I think it's important to separate the times.

• Posted

Hey Shelly... jus' checkn to see how you are managing? I knw you were trying to do things NATURAL like myself 😉 The only supplemnt Ive changed sinc we talked is that Ive replaced the gingseng use w/ fish oil (I was a wee-bit nervous tht anxiety would kick in while I waited for the FishOil to get in my system) 😢 But 1 week in and all is well! Prayn tht you are doing well and managing through this phase jus' the same! Update pls when you can- 💕

• Posted

Hi Lesley,  Your symptoms sound severe and very similar to mine... I would suggest you find an MD or Naturopathic doctor that will order a full Lyme tick and Bartonella panel.  When I started doxycycline for my Lyme I felt better within a few days!  Just one suggestion and hope you find healing soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.