Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi what you descrbed is almost me, could be me writing your story, its been over a year and i dont know if you even come on here but i thought it was worth a shot, are you better? Or is there no end to this agony?
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

Thank goodness I have come across your post! I have had similar symptoms to the ones you describe for the last 2 months. Periods have always been like clockwork but 2 months ago, a 2-week period coincided with huge hip joint pains which then spread to my shoulders, now my knees and a couple of places on my spine. My last period was pretty non-existent. At first I thought I'd overdone the gardening but have realised it's here to stay...ugh....as if I've hit a menopausal wall. At 48, I am a healthy eating, very active individual and have had to cancel my gym membership as I feel my body has aged 40 years in as many days!

Have been to the doctor and had a couple of blood tests (have pushed to have Lymes disease tested because of the whole joint thing)....am still waiting to see the resuts. In the meantime, I'm waking in the mornings stiff as a board, and creeping around the house like a decrepit old woman and feeling a shadow of my former self..

I notice you started taking a form of HRT and felt so much better - is that still the case? I look forward to hearing back from you - thank goodness for internet chat sites!!!!!!! 

• Posted

Oh my gosh Sarah. Our stories are almost identical. I have muscle and joint pain as well. Even stopped going to the gym because I thought it was the high intensity training I was doing. I'm 52. I also was discouraged at the gym because even with exercise and healthy eating I can not lose weight. Keep getting heavier and thicker through the middle. I have never been over weight in my life. Now I'm up to 155. Started BHRT. Feel like it's making me gain weight. Hope it helps the pain and when things even out I can lose weight. Curious to see your responses from Leslie.

• Posted

I'm 58 and have been really struggling with the menapause for two years.

Severe hot flushes throughout the day and night sweats and insomnia, weight gain depression etc

Went to the doctor he gave me clonidine tablets which reduced the hot flushes but side effect was insomnia and I was awake all night long so after six months I stopped taking them.

Went back to doctor and asked for hrt tablets he said no too risky. Tried every health supplements going but nothing helped at all. So just bought a couple electric fans which I sat next to constantly. However the hot flushes and night sweats seem to have stopped haven't had one for a month but now have severe muscle aches in my legs and thighs especially when walking or at night in bed they feel really stiff like I've run a marathon and after sitting down I can hardly walk when I stand up for a few minutes, sick of taking ibuprofen which don't really help that much a hot bath seems to help and I use a hot water bottle , feel like I've aged twenty years

Going back to the doctor in the new year I'm thinking either fibromyalgia, arthritis or could be menapause lack of estrogen. Don't think people realise how painful it is unless you have the same pains it's putting me off going out walking which unused to love and walked miles now I can manage half hour then legs too painful.

Hate going to the doctor always feel like he fobs me off with pain killers and says go see the physio, I have underactive thyroid too which doesn't help. Well I'm a barrel of fun aren't I haha. Finished moaning now hope you all have a lovely Christmas happy to hear from anyone with the same symptons.

Josie xx

• Posted

Hello

WelL, a lot of diseases can cause joint pain.

First, since you mentioned you are 50. At this age, and especially in women, bones get weaker due to hormonal imbalance. Daily calcium supplementation is highly recommended. The food we have cannot really provide the calcium requirement. did you know in order to get one day of calcium requirement you have to drink 1 litre of milk a day!

Apart from this, you need to mention what joints are involved (small joints like finger joints, wrist joints or large joints like knee joint, hip joint), whether it's symmetrical, how long the pain lasts, whether she has associated stiffness in morning, what relieves the pain.

Only then can be a suspicion of disease can be made.

For symptoms, you can try warm compresses, analgesics, and resting the joint.

Do consult a doctor and tell her problems clearly and broadly.

• Posted

Hi Lesley,

I have the severe joint, muscle pain as well. I'm 54 and also have been going through a long peri menopause stage, no hot flashes either and finally haven't had a period in 4 months after months of very heavy ones. I will be scheduling saliva test for HRT. I feel like I'm 90 and I've always been very active but now it hurts to just walk. I hope this phase doesn't last long

• Posted

I was reading what you wrote and I started to cry because I have been going through this for the last year I too am 50 years old I haven't had my period since July my body is always a key my elbow my shoulder my knees, I've had every test blood, MRI, ultra sounds thinking I had some kind of cancer. I keep reading stuff and getting scared thinking I have all kinds of things and the doctors can't find anything and I feel the same way they think Im a hypochondriac. I'm going to get my heart checked out next because I'm so scared. But I have all the symptoms you have except for the bad taste in my mouth. If you find out what this is please let me know. I cry all the time out of frustration

• Posted

Cynthia quite simply its your hormones. I had all sorts of tests in June 16 as i had irregular periods(i bleed from April to July) heart checked as i was getting palputations and adrenalin rushes, worse was the low feelings, crying and believing i had all sorts of bad diseases.

Once i accepted that i was going through peri (i am 49 years old) and after reluctantly taking antu depressants i no longer stress, cry or worry. I also take agnus castus and magnesium. I do have joint aches and muscle pains but i take pilates and yoga which helps.

Please don't think you need to feel like this, you are not a hypocondriac either (i liken it to having alien take over my body)

• Posted

I just wanted to share that since I started acupuncture, after a few weeks I did not have hot flashes anymore. They are gone! I was really skeptical but it worked.
  • Posted

I tried acupuncture for hot flashes and it worked in a few weeks, no more hot flashes!
  • Posted

I too have had bouts of being very stiff and sore. My thumb and wrist, awful stabbing between shoulder blades started 18 months ago. Today it's really cold out and I feel I might break off. Now keep in mind I am fit (usually) Last year I went for bone scans, xrays and all sorts of tests, height measurement even. Very slight osteo arthritis in mid back, same as practically every women over 40 according to Doc. He couldn't imagine it causing pain, must be muscular said he. So I went for massage, but massage made me worse. I did think it was arthritis then because massage and heat can make arthritis flare up. According to Dexascan my bones are in great order altogether. So some consolation. I had a long while without the severe stiff creaky pain, thought was down to multivitamins etc, but pain and stiffness is back. It's like overnight old age jumped literally my back. It can't be much wrong, MUST be easy to fix. I just keep wondering why this is allowed? Why are women let suffer needlessly, blindly going down a dark tunnel where they risk losing every bit of health, every friend. Many cases it can just be cured with a small tweak, maybe progesterone cream, multivitamin, Maca, hormones. But women have to stumble on it themselves. Like after I'd been going to Docs for years for heavy periods, anaemic, no quality of life. Coil was awful, pills made me worse. I discovered myself on Web; taking NSAI, like panadol with cyklokapron, and it reduced flow, reduced days of period. I asked my Doc, and Doc said Yes, that works and wrote the script. Why wasn't I told in all years going there????

I feel I will age unnecessarily, I will go through more years of suffering needlessly, there ARE cures, simple cures. I'm trying Turmeric and ginger tea now, and salmon, omega 3s and good old maca, there must be a cure, I was fit and fine yesterday, today my back, shoulders, wrist and now knees are creaking, so sore. We just need to keep putting our heads together to get ease through this ginormous bump on the journey..

God bless you all xxxx

• Posted

I hope we can find something....I am 52 having an onset of stabiing shoulder blade pain and some chest discomfort..had an ekg it was normal.....I have never felt this achey ever.....getting down over it.
    • Posted

Hi Judy

Have tried this and found incredible relief, back to myself:

Walk 30 mins

Hot water bottle on back before going asleep. Keep torso warm with tee-shirt in bed, make sure no draughts hitting your back, even if you over heat keep back warm, put feet and legs out to cool.

Take turmeric half a spoon with ginger tea or green tea.

Take cod liver oil, one capsule.

If you feel anxious and very stiff as well as aches, take a hot lemsip.

I also take well woman over 50 vitamin tablet which has vitamin B complex and lots of other things. I take half a spoon of maca and two spoons of linseed on my cereal. I've eaten salmon and taken evening primrose oil too and use olive oil. It's a good bit of maintenance but my body and mood are very good with this. I'm stretching today with good range and pain is down to 2 out of 10.

Judy Maybe some of this will help, I hope so!

• Posted

thanks so much....what is lemsip??  I am going to try this..
    • Posted

Here's what lemsip is: a brand of cold and flu remedies. Powder you add hot water to. It contains 650mg paracetamol and 10 mg of phenylephrine hydrochloride. It's for flu and cold. it's here in Ireland also England, Australia. I'm sure you must have a comparative thing in your country. What I do is get soluble Vit C and soluble paracetamol, add lemon and hot water, that's a diy version wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.