Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I went off long term use of oral contraceptives about four months ago. At first I felt wonderful. I lost weight and had increased energy. Shortly after that, I tripped and fell and landed on my right side. I had some associated pain from that that seemed to go away and then all of a sudden, it reappeared with a vengeance and moved to my neck, shoulder, elbow, wrist, lower back (worse on my right side) and right leg and knee. 

I went from teaching SPIN, lifting weights and exercising six days a week to barely being able to take my dog for a walk without excrutiating pain. I assumed that all of this was a result from my fall. I went to medical massage therapist who realized he wasn't helping and he referred me to a chiropractor who told me my back was crooked and my neck was crooked which were things I already knew. He told me he could fix me but I have seen absolutely zero improvement over the last two months and thousands of dollars. In fact, sometimes I think he makes it feel worse!

I do not take pain medication as a general rule and I feel like I have a fairly high pain threshold due to the fact I gave birth without drugs and feel like I have a pretty good idea of what pain is! :-)

I dread going to sleep and I dread waking up. My joy in life is severely diminished. I am 45 and feel like I am 85.

My periods have not returned since going off the birth control which has me wondering if I am in perimenopause.

I finally decided to see my GP and was convinced I have Lupus, Lyme, RA or cancer

Then I found this thread after a nagging thought that there was a connection with the halt in oc's and the progression of my 'illness' and this has been a revelation!

I am now armed with information to take my doctor and I know she will be very willing to consider this as a likely culprit! I am not discounting other explanations but feel like I am reading my own story over and over again in this forum.

BTW, I slacked off on my supplements over the last year but as of last week I am on a daily regimen of a whole foods multivitamin, 5,000IU D3, Oil of Organo, a probiotic, Omega 3, magnesium citrate and Vitamin K. I'm wondering if I should  add calcium?

Anyway, I just wanted to share my story and to thank all of you for sharing yours. And if anyone has the magic cure, I would love to know what it is!! Or, if there is an end to the pain, I would like to know that too.

• Posted

Hi,

I know exactly what you mean about dreading waking up in the morning, especially when you used to spring out of bed and into your lycra gym kit ready to go blast in the gym to start your day!

I am 49 and have been suffering with stiff and painful joints for 2 months now. It started with my hips, moved up to first one shoulder (now both), the bone at the nape of my neck, and a couple of spots on my back and my knees...ugh... Have been taking industrial doses of cold liver oil and Glucosamine with chondroitin for past 3 weeks but it certainly hasn't cured the pain. Am going back to the doctor for blood test results this am (asked to be tested for Lyme's disease aswell) so will report back later.....Am wondering whether I might try HRT for 2 months to see if is makes any difference; although worried about side effects, I'm prepared to take anything to make me feel 'normal' again!!

All the best, Sarah

• Posted

The bone at the nape of my neck hurts too!!!! And my knees have always been a bit sketchy from years of running etc but now they are barely functioning. It takes me five minutes to sit Indian style hear days. Terrible! I can't remember the last time I put on my workout gear. My SPIN shoes are sitting lonely in my closet.

I went to GP this morning for blood work. She ordered tests for Lyme, Lupus, Vitamin D, estrogen and a CBC.

Follow up is on Monday.

• Posted

Had my follow-up with doctor this am and blood tests have eliminated Lyme's disease (and any other possibility that I might have picked up from Asia this summer) and oestrogen level is normal so tends to indicate not menopause yet?!!! Not sure if I'm dissappointed because I was sort of hoping HRT might be the 'miracle cure' I was looking for, even with the risky side-effects!

Next plan of action - book an appointment to see Rheumatologist who will hopefully shed light on the whole joint/muscle pain stiffness thing going on.....it would be SO good to get to the bottom of why I feel so old and decrepit! In the meantime, I just bought some expensive multi-vitamin tablets as well as Curcumin tablets (a concentrated form of turmeric which helps alleviate inflammation) and will start taking these along with Glucosamine and Cold Liver Oil tonight....Going to be rattling soon!

Have a good weekend and good luck on Monday...

Sarahx

btw I take an ibuprofen every night before bed which seems to help me sleep better...Also, can I ask you if you are suffering from the other menopausal stuff like hot flushes/mood swings etc? I've experienced a bit but not like some ladies talk about...I just feel like I've been run-over by a lorry!

• Posted

Hello from US

The suppplements are good, I take all of them.  I was at a point where I did not know who to talk to or go see.  Only ad Calcium if you have a blood test and your doctor says o.k.  Lucky you have a doctor who you can talk to and believes in you.  Diet is necessary, need to stay away from processed food.  I started taking Lyrica for nerve damage from a surgery 20 yrs. ago.  Have no clue why, but the medication helped with everything, including Migraines.  I was getting steroid shots in my knees every 6 mths., bad tendons from years of martial arts.  My knees are not swollen for the 1st time in 20 yrs.  Have no idea what this is doing.  My neck feels better, joints get bad if I skip a few days of the Lyrica.  Does not make sense and I am going to mention it to my Neurologist next month.

?So sorry when I hear your story repeated again and again, the pain from your episodes are printed on my brain better than giving birth, I can remember every day what this feels like.  I went back on Premerin after being off of it for 2 yrs., have no idea if it helps but I won't mess with anything I am doing right now.  I call myslf blessed that I can walk and not have my knees in question.

Take care.  Kathy

• Posted

Hi Lesley! I could cry with happiness to hear that I am not the only one that is suffering so much. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing terrible things too.

Being an ex dancer and kickboxer I am struggling to come to terms with any of what is going on with me right now.  From being extremely fit in 2015 to barely being able to walk these days is getting me down so much.  I cry so much and feel the doctors think I am some kind of looney.  All started with hip pain which spread to my back and other joints.  I have gone through many MRI's, Ultrasounds and even and SPECT CT scan and nothing really showed up.   Bloods seemed normal too. Since Christmas my Big Toes and Thumbs are killing me I dare not tell the GP through fear of frowned upon.I cannot take NSAID's to to an allergic reaction so suffer so much. I have not been offerered any medication just told to take paracetamol.  I do have private healthcare and wondering if a rheumatologist would help me. 

I am 49 years old throwing on the weight one guy at work even congratulated me on my pregnancy sad

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

I know exactly what you mean - I am dreading waking up in the morning, especially as I used to spring out of bed and into my lycra gym kit ready to go blast in the gym to start the day!

I am 49 and have been suffering with stiff and painful joints for 2 months now. It started with my hips, moved up to first one shoulder (now both), the bone at the nape of my neck, and a couple of spots on my back and my knees...ugh... Have been taking industrial doses of cold liver oil and Glucosamine with chondroitin for past 3 weeks but it certainly hasn't cured the pain. Am going back to the doctor for blood test results this am (asked to be tested for Lyme's disease aswell) so will report back later.....Am wondering whether I might try HRT for 2 months to see if is makes any difference; although worried about side effects, I'm prepared to take anything to make me feel 'normal' again!! Can't see that a life on Ibuprofen is a healthy alternative...

All the best, Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah

So sorry to hear that you are suffering like I am.  Its really good to hear from ladies that are all experiencing the same.  I seriously was thinking I was going crazy.  Sadly I cannot take Ibuprofen as have allergies to NSAID's so have to go the herbal route.  Spoke to another lady today who said that she had the same and was a keen runner.  She said she took Black Canosh not sure if thats the right spelling.  She remembers being crippled with pain too and then woke up one day and was pain free.  Lets hope this awfulness passes quickly and normality  returns soon.  

I am thinking of going the HRT route too anything is worth a try.

So glad I live alone so only the cat can hear me complain daily.

Do let me know what the tests come up as and I will do the same.

Best wishes, Dawn

• Posted

Hi Dawn,

Had my follow-up with doctor this am and blood tests have eliminated Lyme's disease (and any other possibility that I might have picked up from Asia this summer) and oestrogen level is normal so tends to indicate not menopause yet?!!! Not sure if I'm dissappointed because I was sort of hoping HRT might be the 'miracle cure' I was looking for, even with the risky side-effects!

Next plan of action - book an appointment to see Rheumatologist who will hopefully shed light on the whole joint/muscle pain stiffness thing going on.....it would be SO good to get to the bottom of why I feel so old and decrepit! In the meantime, I just bought some expensive multi-vitamin tablets as well as Curcumin tablets (a concentrated form of turmeric which helps alleviate inflammation) and will start taking these along with Glucosamine and Cold Liver Oil tonight....Going to be rattling soon!

Have a good weekend and keep talking to your cat....I'm sure his sympathy will help keep a smile on your face!

Sarahx

btw, can I ask you if you are suffering from the other menopausal stuff like hot flushes/mood swings etc? I've experienced a bit but not like some ladies talk about...I just feel like I've been run-over by a lorry!

• Posted

Hi there! I am now 52, starting almost 2 years ago with fatigue and weight gain, felt like working out made it worse, when previously it had made me feel more energized. Then the aches in joints started, elbow joints first- felt like I had been lifting heavy weights! Then it moved to lower back,hips and shoulders. It felt like I had become 100 almost overnight and would need a wheelchair soon. After countless blood tests and ruling out other illnesses, we found my estrogen levels were non existent! Put on HRT ( estrace and prometrium) - within 10 days I was feeling better! I couldn't believe the change after months of pain. Now been working on amounts to find better balance. It took a while to get heard though as doctors seemed unfamiliar with this sort of debilitating joint pain as a peri/menopausal symptom - they kept asking me about hot flashes which I didn't get. Was worried about HRT- still am- but I was not able to live my life with that pain. Not all back to normal as having issues with blurry/dim vision and brain fog now - but at least I can move again and work out. Everyday I ask what's next - not been an easy time.

• Posted

Hi! I am so glad that you do not have Lyme's disease as looks pretty nasty.  Looked up the symtoms as I was travelling in Asia just over a year ago`too.

No hot flushes either. mood swings and feeling down yes but, due to feeling like an old donkey.  I know Google can be our worst enemy but, over the past few weeks I was almost convinced I had something life threatening.  I am so glad I found this site.

My consultant has also referred me to a Rheumatologist so really hope she can help me feel human again.

Have also stocked up on Many vitamins and supplements some of which make be gag as are so big and hard to swallow.

Oh the joys of womanhood smile

• Posted

I know exactly what you mean about the size of some of these tablets - I had to eat 2 chocolate biscuits last night just to get a glucosamine tablet down my throat after it had got stuck! Just hope all this tablet-popping is going to show miraculous results....

Good luck seeing your rheumatologist - it would be good to swap notes once we've both had a chance to talk to an expert.

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I am 47 and having the same symptoms!

I sometimes have a hard time taking off my shirt because my shoulders hurt! My knees and the tops of my feet which makes it hard to walk.

I have taken some type of antidepressant

(Citalopram ) from my GP which did not work.

(I have been taking Vitamins and Turmeric 😟wink

So today he proscribed a steroid for a few days.

I'm so nervous to take it.

Please update on your Dr visit,

Prayers for You

• Posted

Hi Tina,

I had my follow-up with doctor yesterday and blood tests have eliminated Lyme's disease (and any other possibility that I might have picked up from Asia this summer) and oestrogen level is normal so tends to indicate not menopause yet?!!! Not sure if I'm dissappointed because I was sort of hoping HRT might be the 'miracle cure' I was looking for, even with the risky side-effects!

Next plan of action - book an appointment to see Rheumatologist who will hopefully shed light on the whole joint/muscle pain stiffness thing going on.....it would be SO good to get to the bottom of why I feel so old and decrepit! In the meantime, I have bought some expensive multi-vitamin tablets as well as Curcumin tablets (a concentrated form of turmeric which helps alleviate inflammation) and will start taking these along with Glucosamine and Cold Liver Oil ..Going to be rattling soon!

Good luck with your steroids - hope it makes some difference. I know what you mean about feeling nervous about taking new medication, especially when you are not totally convinced that your doctor knows exactly what he/she is treating....

Sarahx

btw, can I ask you if you are suffering from the other menopausal stuff like hot flushes/mood swings etc? I've experienced a bit but not like some ladies talk about...I just feel like I've been run-over by a lorry!

• Posted

Hi Tina (not sure if you woiuld have seen this?)

After 3 months of painful, stiff and inflamed joints (shoulders, neck, hips and knees), I eventually saw a rheumatologist on Friday and he has diagnosed me with 'polymyalgia rheumatica'. Apparently a key symptom is the triangle of joint pain across the neck and shoulders, and he has prescribed me 2 weeks of steroids (20mg first week and 17.5mg the second). Normally, if that is what it is, the patient should see a noted improvement quite quickly (I live in hope!)

As a fit & healthy 48 yr old (OK, almost 49), I can't wait to get back into my lycra & to doing exercise again.....I am hoping this will be resolved but after weeks of pain and stiffness I'm not counting any chickens until I feel completely rid of the permanent discomfort....They don't seem to know where this condition comes from - just that it takes you suddenly - and most usually in women over 50 (normally 60-70)... The fact that I'm not even 50 yet makes me feel even older still, but if it's a diagnosis and a remedy, then I can live with it!  Will chart progress.....

• Posted

Hi Dawn (not sure if you would have seen this?)

After 3 months of painful, stiff and inflamed joints (shoulders, neck, hips and knees), I eventually saw a rheumatologist on Friday and he has diagnosed me with 'polymyalgia rheumatica'. Apparently a key symptom is the triangle of joint pain across the neck and shoulders, and he has prescribed me 2 weeks of steroids (20mg first week and 17.5mg the second). Normally, if that is what it is, the patient should see a noted improvement quite quickly (I live in hope!)

As a fit & healthy 48 yr old (OK, almost 49), I can't wait to get back into my lycra & to doing exercise again.....I am hoping this will be resolved but after weeks of pain and stiffness I'm not counting any chickens until I feel completely rid of the permanent discomfort....They don't seem to know where this condition comes from - just that it takes you suddenly - and most usually in women over 50 (normally 60-70)... The fact that I'm not even 50 yet makes me feel even older still, but if it's a diagnosis and a remedy, then I can live with it!  Will chart progress.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.