Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.. I am 49 and I've been perimenopausal for about two years, trying every 'natural' remedy there is spending hrs studying google, I have had bloods done and other than the normal 'low vit D' that I have addressed, I seem healthy. Thyroid and iron levels and immflamation markers all normal.

I have resorted to taking elleste duet 1mg, my question is.. has anyone had any relief from excruciating muscle aches and joint pain, that I can only put down to low hormone levels, that are becoming worse by the month.

I am only one week into my first packet and know I won't be feeling the benefits so soon, but don't seem to come across many positive discussions where hrt has helped. This is my main symptom other than weight gain, I seem to be able to manage the sweats so far. I don't want to continue putting artificial hormones into my body if it isn't shown to help these horrible aches and pain that stop me from carrying on a normal life. 😐

• Posted

GM Julie..

I know you stated your Viy D was addtessed, but you know what number your Vit D levels prior and what are they presently??..

it seems that Vit D plays a huge role in peri/menopausal symptoms-

• Posted

Hi FthB, my results was 12 , when I was tested, I took 10,000iu daily for three months , with magnesium and vit k, I didn't feel any benefit at all, re tested and they had gone up to 32. My dr said that was adequate and to drop to 1000 a day, I am anxious not to take to much that I end up toxic. I have many symptoms of vit d deficiency still, more than I would say of peri, but my dr thought I would benefit from HRT, if anything I am a aching more.

• Posted

Wow! its a wonder you were able to even function at that level... good that you were able to get it addressed!.. I had a reading of 24 which is below normal & it seemed that my symptoms in per- were exacerbated! ;-(

it took 3month to get to level 33 which is still low normal but not considered deficiency -

My achy joints, anxiety, brain fog, heart palpitations, slowly subsided... ; -)

Vit D is not just a Vitamin but acts as a hormone.. that is GREATLY needed as we face menopause to keep us balanced and well. Dr's just don't seem to relate the two and often overlook it's grave importance in this phase of our journey-

Be sure to check your FERRITIN level as this is important to for Hair Loss-

Best of health to you! -)

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.. could I ask what dosage you are taking as a maintainance. and if you have added any other natural remedies to help. I really would rather go down the natural root than HRT. But I have become desperate to feel normal again, it great to hear you are feeling better, and agree most Drs stop listening after the first sentence. I miss the gym so much, but am finding increasingly harder to even walk the dog. I am a hairstylist and stand for 8 hrs a day, and have for 32 years, so expect some aging in my joints , but this is extreme 😕

• Posted

Julie,

I was given the standard Vit D3 50,000 iu for 8weeks-

I now take a daily dose of 2,000 vit D3-

I did make HUGE changes in my diet in the beginning stages of peri.. not knowing that Vit D could play such a tremendous part in my health- ; -)

I have commented months ago on this forum on the NATURAL way I found to be helpful in dealing with Peri Vs. Hrt-

blackberries, avocado, bananas, swt potatoes, lemon water, ginger, oatmeal, chamomile tea became part of my daily diet and each had a significant part in dealing with symptoms be it nausea or fogging brain-

HRT comes with a host of side effects I wasnt willingly to gamble with..

it just seems that getting my Vit D3 level back to norm has made peri and my life not only bearable w/o the DOOM and GLOOM, Fear and Depressed Low Spirits to where I can now Njoy life and laughing again!!! ?😊😃

I pray that others will insist on getting their levels checked and be back to better health instead of living in the ER getting test after test (like I did) or surgery that wasn't needed in the first place-

Stay Well! 💕💖💕

• Posted

After trying everything I can without resorting to HRT I have now started accupuncture today ! I have been given the normal advise about no caffine, alcohol sugar etc. I've been advise to up my intake of celery and have been prescribed Zhibai Di Huang Wan. Have a google I'll report back in a month or so if I have a positive outcome 

• Posted

Hi, I checked my latest blood results and my ferritin level is 34.. do you reguard that as on the low side? My hair has thinned terribly of late, but I put it down to 'hormones'. X

• Posted

Good Day Julie,

The typical ranges for women are 11-307 nanograms per millitier.  Ranges vary slightly among different laboratories.  My level when first tested was only 10 (so I was below the norm) Iron levels can take a VERY long time to rise even with Iron supplements.  In my case I was careful to take the dosage of 325 ferrous sulfate prescribed (twice a day) with a smoothie of orange juice/spinach and my level after I was tested was stil in LOW normal stages.  In some research  it states that 'hair growth' wont even resume until you have levels of at least 70 ferritin... so though the Dr's call it normal once you are within the MAYO CLINIC range.. Our bodies may still require supplements or IRON for 'healthy hair and re-growth'-

• Posted

As my level is only 18... I was persistent w/my Dr to continue with the Ferrous Sulfate tablets and hopefully I can at least raise my levels to 30 over the next few months-

11 - 307 is such a huge range that I'm sure I have don't have to worry about IRON overload for a while-

fyi... I also started hair & nail supplements that any CVS, Walgreens or Walmart may carry-

• Posted

Hi All,

?I'm 50 yrs old, peri menopause through to full menopause has been a looooong road for me.... started missing periods at 43, terrible hot flushes and anxiety at the time, which have subsided, although I still get the hot flushes. I did have some low dosage HRT a few years ago, which definitely helped with the hot flushes... I didn't really want to stay on HRT for obvious reasons but my GP at the time said it was Ok to take them as the average age for menopause was 51. Anyway, here I am at 50 with the terrible joint pain (I have been diagnosed with spinal arthritis at L4/5 and spinal stenosis) aching and clicky shoulders, neck, elbows wrists, sore thumb joints!.... surely that can't just be wear and tear. Brain fog, ZERO libido, low energy..  I've had blood tests, inc RA tests, which were negative thankfully. Have tried all sorts of complimentary therapies, am currently taking Menopace. I have a new female GP now, who seems to dismiss me with... try taking glucosamine and St John's Wort... She said she doesn't think HRT would help me and wouldn't like to prescribe me with something now that could cause me harm in the future. Any advice on the way forward would be gratefully accepted.   I'm in the UK and dont' have private medical insurance.... I would just love to grow old gracefully and painlessly AND happily!!

• Posted

Hi,

I'm 49 and started these painful joints/muscles about 6 months ago, all of a sudden. No other perimenopausal symptoms other than an unusually vcery long period to coincide with it. Got diagnosed with polymyalgia rheumatica and have been on steroids since, trying to decrease the dosage slightly each week. Don't like taking drugs but had to do something to be able to move properly, without feeling like I was 150yrs old! Hope you find relief with something - steroids have done it for me!

• Posted

Hi and thank you for your reply... I know a couple of people who have had PMR, but their pain was more isolated to shoulders/hips, was yours like this or everywhere? I know I have the issue with my back and that will obviously have some affect elsewhere.  Glad you're feeling a bit better, even if it meant having to take the dreaded steroids!

• Posted

Mine probably is isolated to shoulders, nape of neck, bit of spine and hips...and elbows slighty...crikey, it sounds so old!! Good luck with your pain relief x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah,

How was your PMR diagnosed ?

What steroids dosage are you on and how long for?

I've got joint pains - legs, feet, back, hands -  steroids seem to help but my GP only prescribed them for a couple of weeks and now I am back to square 1

• Posted

Suspecting PMR, my GP referred me to a rheumatologist to make sure (view I was only 49 and PMR normally effects ladies 50-70). He diagnosed PMR in January and I started on 20mg of Prednisolone, dropping to 17.5mg the following week, then 15mg and I've gradually been coming down the dosage by 1mg/week since. Having reduced to 1mg however the symptoms are back so I've increased again to 3mg (I'm on a repeat prescription from my GP). Hope that helps...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.