Perimenopause and SEVERE joint pain - any one else??

Posted , 512 users are following.

Hi

I am 50 and have been in perimenopause for some time. I just wanted to post here to see if anyone else has suffered extreme joint pain as a result of fluctuating estrogen.

Quick history: regular as clockwork from the age of 13 - up to and after the two pregnancies in my thirties.Then aged 47 I started to get very heavy and irregular periods. Then I went for six months with no period at all, then two very scant light periods in quick succession. I have had nothing now for two months but I do feel as if it might happen soon as sore boobs etc.

I have never had a hot flush. I do however have lots of other peri symptoms, including insomnia, heart palpitations and skipped beats, and a strange 'rushing' or whooshing feeling which starts in the abdomen which I think is an 'adrenal' surge. I also have other vague and odd symptoms, dry eyes and inside my nose, and a really vile taste in my mouth sometimes - I mean really vile, like a chemical taste, unrelated to anything I have eaten. I also have odd tingling skin sometimes, which I can only describe as feeling like 'cold' sunburn!

However, about the joint pain. Three months ago I literally woke up one morning with a sore left arm/elbow. Over a few days, the pain then moved into my shoulders, and I got really worried as if was incredibly painful, and showed no signs of going away, it just got worse and worse. It is worse in the morning when I wake up, I am as stiff as a board. It is on my mind 24/7. Doing normal things is almost impossible - I have problems carrying shopping, drying my hair,walking the dog, driving...everything seems to hurt . I have never suffered from arthritic pain, and I went to the doctor thinking I had some awful bone disease, or even polymyalgia. I was told I had nerve pain!! The GP was terrible and made me feel like a hypochondriac and it was all in my mind. I was told I had good range of movement, and no inflammation. But I am in agony, and i am not imagining it.I made the mistake of asking Dr.Google too, which is never a good idea as I scared myself half to death. I never even thought it could be related to hormones or menopause, as the pain was just SO bad and I had never heard of joint pain being a symptom.I mean I have read than meno can be bad for some women, and I expected hot flushes etc, but I didnt realise it meant pain like this.

Anyway - for the last few weeks I have been having worsening pain which has spread from left elbow and both shoulders, into left hip, both elbows and now my knees. All my joints are cracking and popping loudly and even my husband can hear the awful grating in my neck and my knees....I sound like a one man band as I go up and down the stairs!

I went In for my three yearly Cervical smear on Monday, and could hardly get up on the examining couch I was so stiff and sore. Womans health is dealt with by the Nurse Practitioners in our large practice (15 GP's) and when the NP saw my discomfort she asked me what was wrong. It turns out she has a real interest in womens health, and has been involved in HRT trials and research for many years. She informed me that my symptoms all point to fluctuating estrogen, and possible thyroid involvement. She told me a load of stuff about estrogen and cartilage, dry mucosa etc, the details of which I can't remember now but which made so much sense when she explained it - even down to the foul taste and tingling skin I have also experienced on and off for months which are both known side effects of estrogen surge as the ovaries go a bit haywire. Asmall percentage of women are very receptive to estrogen fluctuations which involve cartilage, which mainly manifest as abnormally severe joint pain/menopausal arthritis but it is not an 'obvious' symptom of perimenopause.

I asked why the GP was no help, and she just raised her eyebrows when I told her which male GP it was, and told me to make another appointment as soon as possible with a specific GP (who must be more knowledgeable about womens health.) Going in tomorrow to see her.

I can't do HRT as I have a heart condition, but maybe I can do estrogen cream, or phytoestrogen/soy.) It could last for a long time I guess until I come out the other side !

So i have not yet been diagnosed, but it sounds like it could be caused by estrogen. Sorry this has been so long....but anyone else out there feel the same way I do???

Lesley.

85 likes, 1485 replies

1485 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

It looks like the story of my life, lol down to the awful taste in your mouth at times,, Im so stiff at times that its hard to get around,,it looks like your post was 5 years ago, did you get any help from this? as i am still having these issues..
  • Posted

Hi Lesley hope you are ok .

I'm Vanessa by the way haha and yes after having to have a hysterectomy several years ago I had to go on HRT but I seem to be experiencing all the symptoms you have and my GP has said it's because I am anxious all the time and can't settle so my body's not resting when I am sleeping but I just can't except this .

Have you seen anybody yet about what's happening to you it's horrible isn't it .

Thank you look forward to hearing from you x

• Posted

I started with knee pain when I stopped the HRT6 yrs. ago.  Two yrs. ago I began the cortisone shots in the knees 6 MThs. apart.  Three times than I looked up anything at all that is inflammatory that we eat.  I stopped Grapeseed oil that I used occasionally for cooking, cut out Anything with Soy.  Soy is in many things.  Stopped red meat, maybe once a mth. I like red meat.  Does anyone know if Pork is still considered Red Meat?  Pain in joints is gone, no more shots, x-rays of knee are great.  Still with swelling maybe from something else?  Did I get better suddenly from nothing or did the reduction in inflammatory foods help?  Don't know.  I am going to ask  Dr. on soon to be appointment about HRT again due to other symptoms could be related to no estrogen, I have no health issues related to use of HRT doing harm.  Glad all of you are in here, it helps.  Kathy

• Posted

Hi Lesley 

I was so relieved  when I fell upon this site as I felt like many of you that I was going crazy with the muscle pains and symptoms I have been feeling ! It all started about 6 months ago at 49 when the perimenapause kicked in with hot flushes dry skin dry eyes etc. after a bad cold and cough I suddenly got right sided chest pain and after a visit to A&E and many tests ( gladly not heart attack!) found to have deep thoracic muscle tear. OMG the pain it caused !  

That then led to arm pain , currently I'm seeing physio's for arms and shoulder pains now which are so bad that I cannot reach over my head and working  12 hr shifts is really getting me tired and low.

But on a possative note I'm now on HRT so watch this space as I'm feeling so confident through what I've read on this forum that my pains will go xxxx heres hoping anyway! 

• Posted

Did your pain go on hrt please
  • Posted

Hi Lesley you could have been writing about me! I have had very similar symptoms as yourself although my joint pain is not as painful as yours. I am wondering how you are doing 5 years later? I have not gone to a dr yet as we have just moved and I am on a wait list. 

Hope I hear that u r problem free!

• Posted

I'm sooo glad I've come across this post! I think I may have made an appointment with the wrong doctor. I'm reading these replies and I'm a bit younger; 44. However, I have all those symptoms. I made an appointment with my GP and it seems like I need to cancel and make an appointment with my Gynecologist instead. I got a little emotional reading these as well because now I have a strong clue on what's going on with my body. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

• Posted

Hello from the US and thank you all for posting! I started estrogen replacement two weeks ago and it has been awesome - no more hot flashes, more energy, better focus - except the joint and muscle pain is awful! I really don't want to stop HRT because it has been so beneficial, but I can't get through the day without taking NSAIDS, and I know that can't go on forever. It is the worst in the morning,and I have to take ibuprofen or naproxen as soon as I wake up, and it takes at least an hour before I can really move and start my day. Has anyone else found relief from the pain without stopping the estrogen?

• Posted

Hi I thought by taking estrogen it helps with muscle pain

Am I wrong ? This was the reason I wanted to go hrt estrogen only pill to help me get through the day as I am on pain with my neck ...

• Posted

Thank you for sharing. I am 50 years old, work out and am relatively a healthy person. In the last few weeks I have been experiences horrible lower back pain, throbbing in my joints on my hands and a limited ability to be flexible, as I have always been. What is going on?! I know I am getting up there in age ; however, doesn't my working out and health conscious diet help. If it doesn't and this is how I am to feel going forward- F-it and I will go back to crazy college days and not feel AWFUL.  Am I really going through menopause???? How terribly eye opening and just plain eewww.... thanks to all ??

• Posted

Hi Lesley, 

I have many of your symptoms and my GP sent me to a Rheumatolgist. After blood work was done, they ruled out Rheumatoid arthritis or Lupus but she did say she believed it was Fibromyalgia. My body takes turns with where it decides to hurt for the day, often being several places. I have terrible trouble with stairs and stiffness when getting up from any seated position. Sometimes the pain radiates or feels sharp. Mostly though it is a dull painful ache that keeps me from doing what I need to do- be active.

I was prescribed a medication called Gabapentin, brand name Neurontin. It made me sleepy for the first few days but now it is a great help.  I hope you find some relief!

• Posted

Hi all, 

I'm 49 1/2 , oveweight UK teacher.

Just left a very stressful job. 

Started with daytime hot flushes age 44, not nightime sweats thank goodness - just feel too hot most of the time

mild vaginal dryness, itchyness. Felt a riht  insult after years of epensive and failed  IVF left us without children 

At 48 periods on and off, never heavy , just got lighter. They stopped for 4 months and I noticed severe joint stiffness, but didnt connect the dots. Where periods started again, joint stiffness went. 

This year periods stopped in April and almost immediately I started with severe joint pain again. Even sitting down for ten mins means I cant walk or get up, I am like a 100 year old woman, my 70 year old mother has much better mobility than me - she didnt hit memo until 55.  This has combined with what I think is a torn cartlige in left knee.  Over the summer joint stiffness was so bad, despite me not being at work, that husband had to put my shoes on, I cant walk in the mornings, in fact I cant really walk at all. I can cycle.

Pain is in  Shoulders, Jaw,  lower and upper back, hips, knees and feet. 

Friends have suggested Fibro  or Lupus as well as peri/meno

If I wake in the night I literally cannot to our loo downstairs. My jaw is so bad I have to wear a um guard at night as I have started 'chomping' in my sleep.

in the last few days i noticed  renewed  vaginal dischage ( been dry for a few months) and with that ( with the exception of bad knee) my joints feel less stiff ( though its hard to tell when i'm hobbling with bad knee) 

i am sure this is a temp 'up' in oestrogen and totally proves to me that it is hormone related.

Im taking

multi vit

chondroitin and lucosamine

vegan omega 3

hylauronic acid

devils claw

probiotics

but i think i need HRT. 

Can anyone recommend low dose HRT that I could take for ten year, that is not animal based. 

I am overweight and I have a very large bust ( 38 J) which means I would find it hard to feel any lumps at an early point. 

~i cant see how I can carry on teaching for another 17 years feeling like this when every day is a struggle. 

help ladies :-)

• Posted

Wow this was posted 5 years ago hope you get this and can still answer me lol...well I was wanting to ask if u can have hrt because I was on the depo prevera injection for 7 years and had to come off it due to been in the menapourse. I came off it in December 2016 and April could not get out of bed with pain , my pain is more in my neck and I have tingly feelings down my arm and hands very stiff in mornings ...my neurologist said i have osteoarthritis in the neck and I was wondering if hrt tablets would help with this pain ..as I can not go on like this it goes right up its my head .I was wondering if hrt is the answer as my estrogen is low .
    • Posted

Rheumatologist I mean sorry
  • Posted

Thank you for your post. I have been dealing with all of the same thing with the exception of the bad taste. Did the doctor suggest progesterone cream to help with the estrogen levels?
    • Posted

Hi Stacystamp!

I take 200 mg Progestene n addition to estrogen patch so no cream was recommended.  Latest symptom is a period every two weeks!

• Posted

Hello, Thank you. I'm concerned with taking estrogen due yo the fact that my mother got breast cancer from being on Estrogen for so many years. I have a progesterone cream from yams. It seems to help regulate my periods. I haven't used it Recently 2 to many procedures being done I am going to start back on it and save it helps my joint pain .www healthyhormones.com. is the sure where I Purchased a cream hope you all feel better soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.