perimenopause aneamia. IM so exhausted! !!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please help ladies

Ive been diagnosed aneamic due to heavy perimenopause periods.

Been on ferrous gluconate one a day but still feeling very bad. I also started another period yesterday so im probably going to lose the little iron ive stored. My anxiety is kicking in telling me something drastic is wrong with me.. I cant even go up the stairs without getting breathless. How long does it take for iron to make me feel better. I thought I should be by now. Im getting myself in such a state because my mind is telling me aneamia cant make you feel that bad?

Any ideas ladies x

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should feel somewhat like the iron is helping after two or three weeks. 

Keep taking on your period.    Also high in iron are the following foods:

spinach, Mexican pinto beans (Mexicans eat them at every meal),  red meat (although this is hard to digest and may tire you.)

please let let us know how your doing....anemia runs in our family.  I know how you feel.  Get lots of rest and slow down.   Take care. 

• Posted

Thank you Trish.

As im not able to tale on an empty stomach im wondering I might not be absorbing as much?

I keep trying to push myself to do things but end up so frustrated because my body just wont cooperate right now.

I come home from my morning calls as a carer and im done.

Thanks again x

You know how it is with perimenopause anxiety. I mihht be just panicking as well. I dont know.

Xx

• Posted

It takes a long while for the iron to build up in your system and for you to get ahead.  It doesn't help if you keep having heavy periods.  My best friend is going through this now and her doctor has recommended the procedures where they burn off the uterine lining.  This will stop your periods for the most part.  Has that been offered to you?  Also, what is your dosage of iron each day.  You may not be taking enough.
    • Posted

Yes Chris only one 300mg of ferrous gluconate a day. Im questioning wether the dose is high enough. I jave a gynaecological appt in Nov so will discuss the options. Is it normal to feel so breathless and exhausted with this aneamia?

Peri anxiety is awful right now.

Thank you so much for replying xx

• Posted

Michelle,

Yes the breathlessness is normal for anemia.  It's really not a good sign though because that means your iron is very low.  300mg is a LOT of iron (are you sure that's not "mcg"?) I would think that your body cannot handle that much at one time and you'd be better off on a dose that can be taken in smaller amounts throughout the day.  The normal dose prescribed here in the US is 65MG.  I know gluconate is easier on the stomach so maybe that comes in different dosages.  I found an easy iron that is highly absorbable which is 25 mg and you can take it throughout the day.  I (as well as my friend) have done much better on that one than the traditional tablets.

Also, anxiety is a HUGE part of anemia so it may not be perimenopause doing that to you.  I had a lot of anxiety when my iron was low.  It was horrible.  As soon as I corrected that, I had a wonderful feeling of calm come over me.  Now my friend is in peri and is anemic and has no anxiety it all.  

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Michelle, I  forgot to mention orange juice or any vitamin C will help absorb iron into your system immediately. 
  • Posted

Avoid drinking tea as well as this prevents iron absorption.
    • Posted

That's my only pleasure also.  Several cups a day here!  I make sure to space it 2 hours from my iron.

The vitamin C with iron is a good idea.  Some tablets here, combine the two (the brand Vitron C comes to mind).  

I used to always buy these sachet packets of natural liquid iron (came from an iron rich spring in Wales) and I would dump it in a glass of orange juice.  This was very gentle, a low dose, but because it was naturally occurring and not packed in a tablet, it was highly absorbable.  This got my iron up quickly too, but I did have a hard time in the US getting my hands on this stuff.  You might have better luck wherever you are.

• Posted

Just wondered chris as ive been suffering from acid reflux as well in perimenopause would the orange juice irritate my stomach?
    • Posted

This is another reason I cant take iron on an empty stomachsad
    • Posted

Yeah it would.  I have acid reflux also (started well before perimenopause though).  I'm in the U.S. so I don't know if you have the same products where you are, but I would buy some of those "kids" juices.  Here they are called Capri Sun.  They are juice blends but they have added Vitamin C on them.  A little bit on the junky side but they did not irritate my stomach.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.