Perimenopause anxiety horrible

Posted , 12 users are following.

I have always suffered from some anxiety. I have been in perimenopause since I was 47. I am now 52 this month and haven't had a period in 5 months. My problem is that right before I am suppose to have a period my anxiety sky rockets. Last about 10 days. I think the worst of all my symptoms which only makes it worse. I take meds for my anxiety but it doesn't help during this period of time. I hate this! Can anyone relate? 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I think that right before it's time to start your period is when your estrogen levels hit their lowest levels and for me that's when my anxiety gets really intense.

• Posted

Try taking magnesium tabs girls, also make sure your getting your vitamin Bs.

Its rotten, hang on in there!!

• Posted

How much Magnesium. My doctor has me on a woman's multi vitamin. Should I take additional magnesium and b vitamins. I am also on Effexor for the anxiety. When its time right before I am suppose to get a period my anxiety is off the charts. No period in the las 4 months. I felt better when I was actually having one.

• Posted

I can.relate to it very well. Anxiety is awful most of the time. It is depressing. Whad med do you take please?

• Posted

Hi Celeste I can definitely relate to.you. i was in MacDonalds with my children a couple of weeks ago when I had a massive panic attack. It scared me so much I just had to get out of there and go home. This was followed by a week of intense anxiety along with all the symptoms which then set my mind racing and before I knew it I had my own funeral planned.

It subsided after my period ( never know when to expect it anymore), but it never totally goes away. I take Estroven and have cut caffeine which helps a little but I just have to soldier on, privately miserable and wondering if theres an end to this craziness. I believe these symptoms started jyst as I turned 40. I will be 46 this year. Hang on in there and much love xx

• Posted

Hi Celeste,  I am also turning 52 in 2 weeks! happy birthday!   i have anxiety since i was in my 20s...but always controlable. starte taking anitdepressents for 13 years..then peri hit hard about 1 and 1/2 years ago.  anxiety through the roof, along with insomia off and on...i gave up trying to figure out why some days i feel great and others i suffer so bad.  It is your hormones for sure!.  try to remind yourself thats all it is until they all balace out.  I too went months without a period, now i having more frequent ones!  its scary at times, but come here to chat with all the ladies is a huge help!  I dont know if you wanted to try an HRT, but they do help. I am on a very low dosage, and a low dosage of a new antidepressent that does really nothing.  do you also take anything for the anxiety. Hang in there! it will all pass...smile
    • Posted

Yes I am on Effexor for my anxiety. When I feel my hormones going up and down the medicine doesn't control it. I have xanax for the tough times but I don't like using them. When I am in a rational state I know it's hormones but when the anxiety is bad my mind races.

• Posted

Hi all....

So my saga continues. After having streaky blood in my discharge for about two weeks I decided to go to the doctor.... my usual doctor wasn't available so I se a different GP.

As I've said previously I've been on citalopram for 8 years now for my health anxiety that came after the birth of my second child. Anyway, I explained the problem to the GP and she immediately said we better take a Pap test, I said I'd had one 5 months ago and though it may be menopause related, she stated that as my periods have been regular to date, it can't be that, and she was more concerned about cervical cancer....so of course that sent my health anxiety in to total overdrive!!!

I then explained to her about my increased anxiety and mild panic attacks... and the feeling of being detached, unable to sleep, she then said my anxiety was worsening and I had to see a psychologist...

So, my periods started yesterday ( 5 days early), not quite normal, they seem to be

starting and stopping... but I have the usual cramps and sore back etc.., however I'm now in a state of constant anxiety as I'm convincing myself I have cervical cancer ( even although I have a pap every year and they have always been clear) and its not the menopause .... !!

Any advice please ladies!

• Posted

That is exactly how I am!! I am on 5 mg of lexapro. Doesn't a really do anything. I use to take celexa. Worked like a charm for all the past 13 years. The. Slowly anxiety started. To now where it's outta control some days. But some days I am completely fine Like you I realize it's just hormones whe. I am not feeling oit. When I am anxiety oit now. I just tell myself it will pass and I WILL feel good again ! It calms me down. Also I take xanax for the really tough days. Mostly just at night to sleep Sometimes I can go weeks without none. The. Boom. Hormones act up. Can't wait to this stabilizes Have a great day !

• Posted

Makes me feel better to know I am not alone in this craziness and it's real.

• Posted

Hi,

It's just awful isn't it.... my doctor has now given me dimazepan for night time to help me sleep... I just feel every week I'm taking more and more drugs....

I also can't bear my periods being so erratic, they are coming and going, I don't know what I'm doing!

• Posted

I know..thats why I come on here for help!  Today is a bad day for me, sleep wasnt great, whcih usually means a bad day of anxeity ahead sad...
    • Posted

Oh honey, they never told us it would be this hard.... when my anxiety reaches peak I start doing deep breathing and focus on that.... it does help a little!
    • Posted

I know sad never in a million years i would of thought to feel like this sad, i do yoga and breathing. and i do try to focus on other things..and i know tomorrow witll be better..just so hard some days..thank you for your support smile 
    • Posted

I'm thinking of trying meditation . We will get through this!🤞🏻😊

• Posted

I will research some meditation.  I was doing so well for a few weeks then outta no where's I get this horrible anxiety     My mind won't stop racing, it's like I am on adrenaline !  Ugh.  I hope we get through sooner then later.  Thanks for your support today 😌

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.