Perimenopause at 41??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I'm just wondering whether I have started perimenopause, as I'm only 41, or just going through hormonal imbalance.

After a bad reaction to Mirena coil 4 months ago (I had it removed after 2 weeks) I've been suffering from brain fog and tiredness. Also I've had a few hot flashes/flushes, a few night sweats, headaches suddenly feeling emotional or overwhelmed, dizzy feelings, lack of energy and just generally feeling really weird/not myself.  My last 2 periods have been much closer together than what is 'normal' for me.

All my bloods and hormone levels are within the normal ranges....bar my oestrogen levels which were low, but that was at day 3 of my cycle.

Any help or advice on how to manage 'brain fog' and tiredness would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi! The same here! I’m 42 and peri. I’m on hrt and feel better. Hrt is the only way it helps me! Take care!
    • Posted

Hi Vicky

Thanks for the advice. How did you know that you were peri?

Al

• Posted

Sadly Al, unless you want or are considered a suitable candidate for hrt which at this early stage I would doubt, all you can do is find and take a suitable vitamin supplement specifically for menopause/ premenopause. That may help your symptoms until your hormones fully crash and then you can talk to uour dr about y o ur options. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful, welcome to the club! XXX
    • Posted

Is there any vitamins/supplements you would recommend?  There seems to be so many!
    • Posted

Just look at the ones specifically for menopausal symptoms. There are alot but you can always ask a pharmacist or dr which they would recommend for you. XXX
    • Posted

Oh and I forgot, if you go on Amazon the ones they have there are star rated and have customer reviews. X
    • Posted

Thank you. There are loads!  After a visit to health shop, I now have Magnesium, B Vits and Agnus Castus. Really hoping that these help with some of my symptoms.
  • Posted

I had severe symptoms as brain fog, night sweats and insomnia, body aches. My estrogen was low and my periods were regular but too light. My gyn said that due to my young age I have to take hrt immediately. Estrogen deficiency cause a lot of problems later. 
    • Posted

You are so right there. If you cant find a caring dr who will get you on hrt asap you face loads of problems later on, osteoporosis being the biggest, so whether you are on bio hrt or synthetic the benefits do outweigh the risks in most cases. XXX
    • Posted

Hello! I am 41 also and having similar symptoms. I actually have a few more too. My periods are regular but have moved closer together and are lighter.

What was your estradiol level? I feel that mine were lower than optimal for my age cycle day 3 it was 44 and mid cycle was 78. I have started going to a Dr that specializes in BHRT and she doesn't want to put me on estrogen yet. Instead she wants to add a low dose of testosterone in the am and progesterone in the pm. I am nervous the progesterone will cause me to be depressed but I guess I have to give it a try.

I was just curious at your age what your levels Are?

Thanks

• Posted

My estrogen level was about 40 or less, my gyn made his diagnosis based more on my symptoms. Hormonal states change a lot during peri so they are not accurate enough. I’m on hrt, 2mg estradiol and 0,5 norgestel. 
    • Posted

Thanks for such a quick reply! I go back at the end of March so we'll see what she says. I haven't started the progesterone yet. It's pill form but bioidentical.

• Posted

I spend my time on line trying to get more information about early meno and it’s consequences. Glad you find my answers helpful! 😊

• Posted

Hi 

I don't have the exact number, but it was less than 55.

I hope the test/proges works out for you.

• Posted

Hey, I am 41 and experiencing some of the same symptoms but also more. What are your hormone levels? My estrogen at cycle day 3 was 44 and mid cycle was 78. I feel that is somewhat low for someone my age and would explain the change in my cycles. My Dr is hesitant to start me estrogen yet. She said if you don't really need it, then it will make you feel horrible but I feel horrible right before ovulating and for about a week and a half before my cycle so I might push to start estrogen. She wants me to start testosterone (bioidentical) and progesterone but I am little nervous about those two. You are not alone! I feel like my hormones have changed and therefore have caused these symptoms.

• Posted

Hey Kelle, I know its horrid but your dr is right! Too many hormones can make you just as bad as not enough. It sounds as if you are going into menopause but until the bottom drops out of your hormone levels hrt might hinder rather than help you. Also there is only a certain amount of time that hrt can be taken for safely, you dont want to waste that by taking it too early because then if you go on menopausing for a long time like some of us do, you could have to come off it when you really need it most! Take care hun XXX
    • Posted

Yeah, I don't want to go on anything too early. I feel pretty great for about a week and a half to two weeks until ovulation then it all goes down hill. I have 5 young children at home with me that I still have to raise. I homeschool them so they are with me 24/7. I hate that I have changed over night. My energy just isn't what it was a year ago. My sleep isn't either. Ugh! I wasn't prepared for this at this young age with so many young children!!

• Posted

Poor you! What an incredible mum you must be. I hope that you have some older family members who can emotionally support you, what about your husband? Is he helping you at this really hard time? At least you have found all of us on the forum and though we may not have magic wands, we will all try to support and help you by sharing any good info we pick up that may help you at this horrid time. XXX
    • Posted

Thank you for your kind words! I definitely don't feel like I am any more incredible than any other mum!!

I am actually not that bad. I am able to enjoy most days and it seems some months are be than others. But there are some days that I just can just make it through. I never expected my health to change so much almost over night at such a young age! I was so looking forward to when my baby got a little older (she is 3 now) and I could enjoy the freedom of having kids a little older but now all this!!! Ugh! I want to feel like I did a year ago! Anyways, thanks for your reply.

• Posted

You are most welcome. Hope your other half is doing his share and giving you support at this horrid time aswell. You seem to be coping well in general more than I can say for me so keep your chin up girl, we are all always here. XXX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.