Perimenopause at 41??

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi

I'm just wondering whether I have started perimenopause, as I'm only 41, or just going through hormonal imbalance.

After a bad reaction to Mirena coil 4 months ago (I had it removed after 2 weeks) I've been suffering from brain fog and tiredness. Also I've had a few hot flashes/flushes, a few night sweats, headaches suddenly feeling emotional or overwhelmed, dizzy feelings, lack of energy and just generally feeling really weird/not myself.  My last 2 periods have been much closer together than what is 'normal' for me.

All my bloods and hormone levels are within the normal ranges....bar my oestrogen levels which were low, but that was at day 3 of my cycle.

Any help or advice on how to manage 'brain fog' and tiredness would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

3 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi - yes I'm also 41 and been feeling the symptoms of peri for the past 18 months. I have had my hormones checked and they are in the normal range, though at the lower end, but I am having terrible night sweats, flushes, bad nausea, clots in my period, then last period was very light - so something is going on ! I went to the doctor who said I was too young for HRT, but was happy to prescribe the pill as I have low blood pressure and don't smoke. So last week I began taking it - I had a few days that were very hormonal, but now its seems to have settled a bit through I'm still getting night sweats etc so its not kicked in yet, really going to pursue it for a few months as it could help given that it overrides your system and gives a continuous dose of hormones, so I'll keep you posted x

• Posted

That's great - it sounds as though the Pill  is working for you.  

• Posted

Sounds like the mirena coil messed up all your hormones, ask your doctor for a low dose BC pill to see if that might balance everything back out.. Also mirena coil could have just started up your peri menopause, you are at that age 41 is not too young for peri as you can go through all the symptoms of peri for 10 years or more before periods end and menopause is complete.. Stress can bring it on...
    • Posted

Thank you Gypsy014

Yes, I think it did, as well as the 6 months of Cerazette beforehand.  Unfortunately can't take combined pill as have migraine with aura...and other POP don't seem to agree with me.  Just need to work out how to balance the hormones with natural products.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.