Perimenopause bleeding heavy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been bleeding for 2 weeks with large clots (several a day). I am 43 and have an appointment with a gynecologist tomorrow. I'm not sure if this could be perimenopause. A little scared at this point.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello.

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this.

It is possible it is perimenopausal symptoms. Heavy bleeding with clots for long periods of time does happen for many perimenopausal/menopausal women.

My sister had heavy periods that would last for weeks, with clots. She was about 50.

Women are going through perimenopause younger and younger.

I started having perimenopausal symptoms at about 41.

It is a good idea to see your gynecologist to rule out any other diagnosis.

I hope you feel better soon.

Tracy

• Posted

Rhonda, this is typical of peri symptoms.  Typically what this indicates is that you are producing less progesterone, which are created by anovulatory cycles.   Nothing to fear.  But you may need to do a few cycles of progesterone.   
    • Posted

Thank you. It's just that I have never experienced this before.

• Posted

Hi Rhonda, I did too few years back I developed a small fibroid on my uterus had it remove, but I did not think something that small would make me bleed so bad..but so far things like this are normal in perimenopause..hope it goes all well with gyno.

• Posted

Went to gynecologist and now they want to do a uterine biopsy tomorrow. Said my lining was way too thick.. very worried
    • Posted

Rhonda don't be worried!!!!!   A few rounds of progesterone should take care of a thickened lining. Usually 14 days at the end of your cycle.   I used it in perimenopause and LOVED the stuff.  I didn't like it in pill form, but found that taking it vaginally at night was a little bit of heaven.   You can ask your doctor about it.  

And will also mention, I've had a uterine biopsy and it wasn't that bad.  I was told to take ibuprofen before I came in, an to expect a little bleeding afterwards.  The procedure wasn't that bad, and no bleeding followed.  So take a deep breath and just do it.  It will be over before you know it.  

• Posted

But I am bleeding heavy now.. won't the bleeding just be worse?

• Posted

No shouldn't be.  Progesterone helps limit the lining buildup.  

• Posted

No I mean from the biopsy
    • Posted

Generally they won't do the biopsy WHILE you are bleeding.  They'll wait until it stops.  

• Posted

They want to do it today even though I am still bleeding
    • Posted

Ok then, back to your original question:  "Won't it make the bleeding worse?"   My answer would be probably not.  I wasn't bleeding when I had mine done, and was told to expect some.  But that didn't happen.  So my thought would be that since you are currently bleeding, any additional blood from the small sample they will be taking won't amount to much additional.  I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference.  

• Posted

Ok had it done.. it wasn't so bad but they said my h&h was 11 and 33. They gave me a shot of deposit to stop the bleeding which it practically did for about and hour and a half..now back to bleeding. Gynecologist said it couldn't tell much when he was in there because if the blood. Hysterectomy scheduled for Tuesday.

• Posted

Rhonda, hysterectomy is often the quick go to. But if I were you, I’d do some reading and give it some time.   Was progesterone ever mentioned as an option?  

How regular are your periods? How old are you? How often has this heavy bleeding been going on?  

I’d hate to see you do surgery if you’re close to menopause

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.