Perimenopause hair loss

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi ladies

Has anyone in peri had symptom of hair loss? I have noticed the last month or so that I am losing a fair amount of hair when I wash my hair.

I had blood tests last month and confirmed I am in peri and thyroid normal.

Any Suggestions or hair products I should be using?

Thanks,

Sydneymum

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Definitely, I have experienced really bad hair loss in the front. It's awful. I wear a wig now because it's noticeable. I talked to the Dr about it and he said that it's due to the hormonal drop, along with my other 36 symptoms. It stinks, I always thought menopause was just hot flashes and moodiness. I had no idea that it was 99 symptoms of hell.
    • Posted

Hi Lenie

This peri stuff sucks! 99 symproms and then some...I knew about hot flushes, but knew zero, nata about all the other ugglies, like night sweats, anxiety, dizziness etc.... worst of all is this open ended answer from medicos that it can last 2-10 yes ...."or so".Seriously!

Sydneymum

• Posted

I agree, i keep wondering why none of the women in my family who are older than me have never discussed t, but maybe they didn't experience what I am going through or maybe they just kept it to their self. It's horrible.
    • Posted

i've wondered the same thing.  no one EVER discussed menopause, but plenty of abnormal stuff like getting pregnant on bc, and a couple having hysterectomies young.  i have had PAINFUL and bloody periods since having my tubes tied at age 28; even tried ablation at 50 which failed.  hysterectomy is next option for the pain - labor-like pain every period, which have been (until this month) VERY regular.  wondering if i should just go ahead and do it???   i am wondering if women today are suffering more because of all the hormones, antibiotics, lack of vitamins and crap that is in the air, water and food??? 
    • Posted

I think lots of ladies keep it private, we talk on here because its easy and none of us know each other.

Maybe the women in our families keep quiet after as they dont ever want to think about it ever again 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

I make my lot listen, tell them how it is, even my son, so he's aware what his woman may have to deal with.

If we go out we laugh as i start taking layers off, and say slow down buddy, mums on fire again 😊😊😊

Jay x

• Posted

i think you are right.  could be that for most families...how unfortunate.  mine is unique as i now recall and would be why i don't remember hearing about menopause, even with a house full of women.  i left home when my mom was 50; all i remember was her emotions through the years; i think she had other mental issues, but i don't recall the use of fans, or ice packs, or supplements prior to me leaving for the military.  she may have suffered in silence, but that really wasn't her style - if you know what i mean.   my two older sisters (who i had good relationships with) died, one at 48, the other at 51.  my younger sister had a hysterectomy at 46 and we don't get along well at all. so, i really have no immediate family history/hystery to compare my experiences with.  i DO however have gf (and women here) who are willing to share their experiences. 

i've been doing a little bit of research on menopause and yes, up until a generation ago, women wouldn't want to talk about it for fear of being "put away" due to "imbalance of humors". 

• Posted

I agree with you that it's easier to talk to people who you don't know very well, plus I think women of that era just kept a lot to themselves.
    • Edited

You have it bang to rights! We think we've been the lucky ones, having birth control options etc. Probably done us more harm than we ever imagined!

As for our air/food/water.....don't start me off!! Always remember listening to Marvin Gayes 'What's Going On'....way back in the early 70s, and he went against advice and released that album. Wasn't wrong, was he?!!

('Ark at me coming over all Greenpeace ! No 'Tree Hugger' but we have messed around with things too much sad)

You're lucky NOT to have and to listen to it all! My mum, aunts and their pals all used to gather at my mums every week. And it was more a case of what they DIDN'T talk about!! Sex, sex, kids, men and sex!! They were all in their 60s, all widowed, smoke, drank, danced and laughed a lot. All hung around till their 80/90s. Tells ya something! I miss my mum and those ol' gals so much. Proper Sarf London salt-o-the-earth gals xxx

Sisters: I have 3 and used to say i'd trade at least 2 of them in for another brother. Its now all 3 :-) :-) :-) !

At least you know you can ask/get answers to questions on here - its great:-) !

Sx

• Posted

My hair has thinned out considerably even before hitting peri.  I try not to shampoo too frequently or use chemicals on it (like hair color) too often. I also switch shampoo brands from time to time.  Some are gentler on the hair/scalp than others. Avoid using very warm water on your hair, too. You could also try supplementing with biotin.  It's supposed to promote health of hair, nails, and skin.
    • Posted

Hi Ling

Thanks for tip. I'm seeing hairdresser on Wed or my monthly root tint and will ask about shampoos or other hair products.

Sydneymum

• Posted

the only time i've noticed severe hair loss is if my thyroid is acting up (or down, lol), i've been really sick, on a calorie restricted diet (very bad, no more of that) or go to bed with wet hair - NOT good. 
  • Posted

kelp 1000mg capsule one a day

stopped my hair clumps coming out ( as i mentioned the other day) 

jay x

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay

Oops my mental fog prevented me remembering! I do now remember you mentioned it before. Peri sucks!

Thanks, I will get some kelp tomorrow when I am at the shops.

Sydneymum

• Posted

Hi 😊

well it works i took it years ago for hair loss and peri and my hair stopped coming out .

Beginning of last year i stopped taking it as thought may not need it anymore, and weeks later hair was coming out worse than ever.. Restarted Kelp and it doesnt come out at all again, ( apart from the normal odd one ) 

Takes about 6-8 weeks to kick in and needs taking daily ..

also good for nails etc and all peri things 

jay x

• Posted

HI Jaynee Jay

Always happy to take supplements if they help and someone has recommended them...presently taking calcium and vitamin D on recommendation from gp to protect bones and I was low in Vitamin D from blood test results (here in Australia the medicos are obsessed with vitamin D at the moment). Also taking magnesium to help with hormonal anxiety and muscle tension and iron tablets. Quite a cornucopia of vitamins I am taking every day. But they help so am prepared to do it. Will add the 100mg kelp as I am worried I am shedding my hair and it freaks me out every time I bath to see my long strands left behind.

Thank you for your wisdom and experience. It is much appreciated!

g'day from Australia!

Sydneymum

• Posted

I was going to suggest that 'someone' had highly recommended Kelp - thanks Jayneejay!! 

I was also interested in this as my hair is EVERYWHERE: rugs, sinks, car, clothes (cardigan/sweaters etc are really covered!). Worse still (so I'm toldlol!) are the hairs that my family find in their foodlollol!

Sydneymum - I'm still reeling that you have to have a 'monthly root tint' - the cost of maintenance!!

Although I've never been bothered by being a natural blonde - totally wasted on me, the eternal Tomboy/Geeza Bird! Just think  Boris Johnson rather than Agnetha (Abba) unfortunately) - no I jest: his hair is tooooo blonde and totally nuts!!), I am now just SOOOOO grateful now as my hair is turning white and looks like expensive blonde highlights!! 

I shall give Kelp a go as although I'm having my haircut next week, I'm sure it won't be long before I'm noticing how much its thinning.

Seems so funny that I used to have my hair thinned out when I was a kid!!

Maybe we should give it a go - what's to lose?

Sx

• Posted

Hi Jayneejay

I'd been reading about your love of Kelp for your hair. But can I pick your brains:  had I imagined it when I also read that Kelp was beneficial to brittle/breaking nails??

Yep, you've guessed it, I've got those too, to 'tick off' on my Personal Peri List!!smile

Sx

• Posted

hi shaz

yes its good for hair and nails and lots of other things

i use kelp 1000mg simply supplements uk

jay 

• Posted

hi jayneejay thanks for more info my hair is quite thick but it falling out quite a bit and i hadnt even thought of a supplement to help with that so thats anther one on the list along with your apple cider vinegar wot i do without this site and all your advice i do not know thank u x
    • Posted

i've researched supps and i also take calcium with d (citrical brand), magnesium, fish oil (for my cholesterol counts) and evening primrose.  also complex b for energy.  i was always under the assumption that i can't take kelp with a thyroid issue, or i'd add that as well.  i have to see my endocrinologist next month and see what he says  smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.